• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Jan 09 Scores - come for the review scores, but stay for the whine!

acm2000

OK morons, if you dont agree with some of the scores, you know why? cause its a reviewers opinion of said game, its not right or wrong, its THEIR opinion, NOT yours, it doesnt have to match yours, quit f**king whining -_-

98bz11.jpg

Scores: (Platform reviewed listed first)

Prince of Persia (360, PC, PS3) 5
Last Remnant (360, PS3) 5
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS) 6
You're in the Movies (360) 6
Lips (360) 6
Patapon 2 (PSP) 5
LocoRoco 2 (PSP) 7
Armored Core For Answer (360, PS3) 7
Crash Commando (PSN) 6
Astro Tripper (PC/PSN) 7
Thunder Force VI (PS2) 7
Rock Revolution (PS3, 360) 3
Skate It (Wii) 4
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Wii) 6
GTI Club+ (PSN) 6
Sonic Unleashed (360, PS3) 6

Time Extend is Perfect Dark.
Cover is Uncharted 2 and their preview.
Comes with AC Wii poster :lol
4 page "Making of" on Prince Of Persia, interviewing Jordan Mechner.

Previews:

Bionic Commando
Halo Wars
FEAR 2
Empire: Total War
Dawn of War 2
SF4
Sonic & the Black Knight
Bayonetta
Afro Samurai
Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3
Wanted: Weapons of Fate
Love
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Blood of Bahamut

Awards:

Best game:
LittleBigPlanet
GTA IV
Fable II

Best Innovation:
LittleBigPlanet
NXE
Left 4 Dead

Best Visual Design
LittleBigPlanet
Street Fighter IV
Far Cry 2

Best Audio Design:
Dead Space
GTA IV
No More Heroes

Best hardware:
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii

Best Publisher:
Microsoft Game Studios
Electronic Arts
Sony Computer Entertainment

Best Online Experience:
Left 4 Dead
LittleBigPlanet
Gears of War 2

Best Developer:
Media Molecule
Criterion Games
Rockstar North

Alternate Awards:

Best Flop - Boom Blox
Most Special Special Editions - EA, with Mirror's Edge & Dead Space
Best Old Edge Forum Aftershock - "Bummed in the Gob" Grand Theft Auto IV
Best Chewed Scenery - Gears of War 2
Most unsatisfactory Whoring - Fallout 3
Most Cunningly Engineered HUD - Dead Space
Best Creators Intentions - Peter Molyneux, Fable II
Wettest Hats - Brothers in Arms : Hell's Highways
Hardest Sell - Penumbra: Black Plague
Literary Achievment - Far Cry 2
Best Immoral Act - Fallout 3, Megaton
Best Prolonged Inactivity - Metal Gear Solid 4
Dumbest thing in Condemned 2 - Overcoming the walking suit of Armour, an army of exploding dolls, a mad magician, and a rampaging Grizzly bear.
Best Worst Game - Alone in the Dark
Most Accidental Pies - Fable II (Accidently hitting "Eat pies" instead of patting your dog)

Back/Next Month:

2euo114.jpg
15bzhz.jpg

all this stuff thanks to eddyb43, Willeth, shas'la, Roxas

lsslave

Jew Gamer
acm2000 said:
Prince of Persia (360) 5
Last Remnant (360) 5
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS) 6
You're in the Movies (360) 6
Lips (360) 6
Patapon 2 (PSP) 5
LocoRoco 2 (PSP) 7
Armored Core For Answer (360) 7
Crash Commando (PSN) 6
Astro Tripper (PC/PSN) 7
Thunder Force VI (PS2) 7
Rock Revolution (PS3) 3
Skate It (Wii) 4
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Wii) 6
GTI Club+ (PSN) 6

With 1 score they managed to show they should not review games ever and stop pretending to be worth the wasted ink they make

RpgN

pseudocaesar said:
I know the scale, but a 5 is a bit low for POP. Lips a 6? C'mon.

Indeed. I can't possibly think POP is a 5 game, even if I haven't played it myself yet. And lol about Lips, a singstar rip-off scores better...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Obviously they're on the 1-7 scale. And Jan 08? You mean 09 right?

faberpach

Fuck Edge...

They are the kind of stupid reviewers that think that giving low scores makes them appear more professional...

Lips is not that bad considering the playlist will grow in the following weeks/months.

Quasar

faberpach said:
Lips is not that bad considering the playlist will grow in the following weeks/months.

And so it got an above average score. I wonder what the Edge score for Singstar was.

reakt

I was hoping that Crash Commando would have gotten a higher score than that. Well I'll be getting it anyhow.

Nice to see people think Edge just give low scores agsin, after a year where they've been pretty giving with 10s, 9s and 8s. Why people bitch in a Game Informer thread about them using a 7-10 scale then say these are too low confuses me.

Why so low?

Seriously though, I love Edge and all but I can't remember ever seeing an issue for any magazine with so many low scores, and it's Christmas season! Eh, don't trust many reviewers anymore after ME (both of them :lol ). Castlevania, :/.

The reviews are generally well written though, but I still get it for the articles...

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
The scores seem fair to me. Good job, Edge.

And again – since this always needs to be said in these threads – you cannot go by the score alone when looking at most of the Edge-reviews.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Castlevania is the only one I really disagree with. The rest I can sympathize with or are completely oblivious about. I wonder why Patapon 2 scored so low. And what For Answer did to get a 7.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow, those are some really nasty scores. I might just turn a blind eye to this issue.

Did they ever review Wii Music in the end?

ItsInMyVeins said:
And again – since this always needs to be said in these threads – you cannot go by the score alone when looking at most of the Edge-reviews.

I decided to read their review of Mega Man 9 after seeing the score posted here initially, and that just made me disagree with it even more.

vireland

Holy crap. I don't usually get into rating threads because people have and are entitled to, you know, opinions.

But these two scores show that something is terribly wrong with their ratings:

acm2000 said:
Prince of Persia (360) 5

Armored Core For Answer (360) 7

These scores are way off the mark. PoP 360 is way, way too low. It deserves a 7 at the minimum. Conversely, AC4A is way, way, WAY too high. It's the crappiest, laziest Armored Core in quite some time. A 5 tops, and probably more like a 4 if you're grumpy ol' slightly-retarded-of-late Edge.

Roxas

Hmm i like Edge and am a subscriber, but even i think they are smoking some crazy shit this month. Astro Tripper gets the highest score of the month? I mean its an ok shooter but thats about it. Lips and Your in the Movies, 2 complete pieces of shit get a higher score than Prince of Persia? Some craziness this month for sure.

Ashour

Wow bad scores all around; which tells me what EDGE is…Patapon 2, locoroco 2 and POP all under 8! They should go cover other type of entertainment and leave games to reviewers who actually bother to play them.

Huggers

Need to read the reviews but the scores don't seem too outlandish to me from what I have played on that list

SovanJedi said:
Did they ever review Wii Music in the end?

They didn't give it a traditional review. Last month's issue had a one-page piece on the game that was basically a review in all but name (and minus a score, obviously).

TBH, I think Edge should take a stand and abandon review scores altogether. Their reviews are strong enough to stand on their own and the scores often just distract from the points made in the reviews themselves.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
SovanJedi said:
I decided to read their review of Mega Man 9 after seeing the score posted here initially, and that just made me disagree with it even more.

I haven't read that one, but yeah, of course you might not agree with what they think about the game. I'm just saying people ought to read why they put a low score on it.

Top Bottom