• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the recent reports it does seem like K2's single-player campaign won't have nearly the variety of environments or overall length of the original Killzone.
It sounds like after spending time in the industrial Helghast areas you then move into the desert, a train going through the desert, and then onto a starship for the finale. And getting through the first 6 of 9 chapters in 4-6 hours by most reports makes it seem like it's going to be over pretty quickly unless the later chapters are pretty involved.

Valkyr Junkie said:
From the recent reports it does seem like K2's single-player campaign won't have nearly the variety of environments or overall length of the original Killzone.
It sounds like after spending time in the industrial Helghast areas you then move into the desert, a train going through the desert, and then onto a starship for the finale. And getting through the first 6 of 9 chapters in 4-6 hours by most reports makes it seem like it's going to be over pretty quickly unless the later chapters are pretty involved.

A guy on another forum that said it took him 9 and a half hours to complete with the final boss taking 1 hour. Of course he could be lying, but we do know that the final boss is supposed to take a long time to beat since there's a trophy for beating him in under 20 minutes.

Valkyr Junkie said:

It doesn't bother me too much. While longer SP is great I find shooter ones enjoyable as well. Mirrors Edge for instance.

Last FPS SP that felt like it had any length to me was R1. R2 was short, Battlefield BC was decent-ish in length, COD: WaW was fairly short. All enjoyable though.

And while the first few levels
take place in the industrial areas, that doesn't mean they cannot be varied. From all the video they looked varied to me. The desert looks like a nice break and the ship will be interesting I think. My only wish is that there was a forest-like area, that would look so awesome
:D

Valkyr Junkie said:

there are 10 chapters. The preview build was 5.5 chapters. The last level does not occur in a space ship, but Visari Palace

Sin

SolidSnakex said:
A guy on another forum that said it took him 9 and a half hours to complete with the final boss taking 1 hour. Of course he could be lying, but we do know that the final boss is supposed to take a long time to beat since there's a trophy for beating him in under 20 minutes.

Took me 22 minutes and 36 seconds to beat it, but many, many, many tries. Loved it. Full game took me roughly 9 and a half hours also but my single player completion was just at 46%. Honestly, never felt the game to be over too soon, it was very well paced climaxing beautifully at the end.

Sin said:
Took me 22 minutes and 36 seconds to beat it, but many, many, many tries. Loved it. Full game took me roughly 9 and a half hours also but my single player completion was just at 46%. Honestly, never felt the game to be over too soon, it was very well paced climaxing beautifully at the end.

Most games have very....disappointing endings.

Halo 3, Gears of War 1/2, Resistance 2...

Does this game actually have an amazing and intense ending sequence? Not 'ending it with a bang' really sours the whole experience for some games to me.

KZObsessed

Sin, what difficulty did you play it on?
9 and a half hours
is a good length for a first play through. I plan to play it on Normal, Hard and then Elite :D

hulot

SolidSnakex said:
Just under 8 hours on the veteran difficulty level.

8-9 hours is a good length, imo

way longer than Halo 3/CoD4...and about the same length as Gears 2 / Uncharted

we already know the mp is good enough to last you 100+ hours, going strictly by the beta.

Clinton514

Someone emailed this to me last night:
Behind Music of Killzone 2
Interviews with Joris De Man - Composer behind KZ2 & both previous Killzone games + Mario Lavin & Lucus van Tol of Guerrilla Games.

M4G: Will the ‘Helghast Theme’ be incorporated into the Killzone 2 score?

Joris de Man: It was the main menu music and the signature theme of Killzone 1, and I wanted to retain that. I took the same theme, but instilled a new variation on it, maintaining the core elements, such as the pounding rhythm that delighted people in the first place…

Mario Lavin also mentions the game being around 11 hours or so.

Sin

FFObsessed said:
Sin, what difficulty did you play it on?
9 and a half hours
is a good length for a first play through. I plan to play it on Normal, Hard and then Elite

That was on Normal, took my time ogling at the visuals a lot though. Now its time to go through Hard and Elite.

Sin said:
That was on Normal, took my time ogling at the visuals a lot though. Now its time to go through Hard and Elite.

Are you allowed to give us any general thoughts now that your done Sin?
Thumbs up, Enthusiastic thumbs up or what?

KZObsessed

BruceLeeRoy said:

Sin said:
Just beat the game, and all I can say is 'WOW', not to tease or anything, just seriously, WOW.

Said that on the last page I think. :)

SSM25 said:
Can something be said about the AI?, that's the only thing that worries me about the SP.
Well, I haven't played the game, but judging from the videos I saw (all of them I guess :lol) it looks ok. Not great, but at the very least ok. Much better than the original Killzone.

KZObsessed

AI looks good to me in the videos. Not genius, but then if they were the game would be impossible. What I like is how dynamic they are, just watch TTP's video "Welcome 01" the battle after the bridge and see how they change tactics the second time he plays it.

Plus it's gotten some positive write up in the press:

Gamespot said:
Fights tend to last a while due to clever AI on the part of the Helghast soldiers. They seem to have attended the same school of cover techniques you have, because they'll be spending just as much time behind crates and walls. What makes things interesting is that their behavior seems to change as the odds of their survival are whittled down.

Joystick said:
The odds are overwhelmingly against you, and the viciously intelligent AI doesn't make it any easier.

The developers comments regarding the bots are interesting:

This seemed like a great way to let newcomers practice their skills as well, and we were told by multiple designers that the AI is truly incredible. In fact, Rob pointed out that the AI routines that distinguish them from the single player shell, and will actively search out sniper's nests if they're in the middle of a fight to pick off opponents. The bots themselves are designed from the ground up to be able to do everything that a human can do.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/935/935548p5.html

To me the AI looks good enough to keep things challenging, and is dynamic enough to keep you on your toes and keeps things fresh. Which is all I need. Better than a game like CoD4 where it's all scripted and they just do the same thing every single time.

SSM25

Thanks for the info, but with this game I not going to listen to anything the media has to say, good or bad. I'll take the word of other people who played the game instead.

ChryZ

So I started to play Killzone.

Yes, the original game on PS2. I dismissed the game at its release, but the hype around the first real time trailer of Killzone2 made me reconsider and I bought the game new/sealed off eBay for 10 bucks. The game was on my to-do pile for quite some time now.

I was interested to see how:

-they're presenting the story in KZ1, after reading the back story online
-the controls compare to KZ2 (well, to what I've seen in the beta)

I'm 2 hours in. It's actually fun and I don't have to force myself to play it. The weapons are great. The sound design is especially noteworthy, the ambience indoors or of the ongoing war is brilliant.

The cut scenes and story telling are okay, but didn't aged too well.

The controls and the handling aren't so much different than what I've seen in the KZ2 MP beta. They're just not as refined and tight as its next gen sequel.

Killzone1 feels really rough around the edges, almost like a prototype if compare to KZ2. The jump between those games seems really more like a quantum leap now.

Snowden

Banned
SSM25 said:
Thanks for the info, but with this game I not going to listen to anything the media has to say, good or bad. I'll take the word of other people who played the game instead.
Maybe you should cut out the middleman altogether, and just listen to yourself.

test_account

XP-39C²
the_prime_mover said:
Sprint is a click to use feature - you don't have to hold it down. So it is actually better to free up another, easier to use, button for other tasks.
Ah ok, a click to use feature sounds nice! :) Thanks for the info! :)

CHRP718

Banned
2114128.gif

AI looks good to me :D

FirewalkR

BruceLeeRoy said:

Hah, I'm about to do what you can't. ;) I won't read this thread again until the game is out, seems like people are already talking too much. I think Guerrilla/Sony sent these complete builds too soon to journalists. Cya in late February, KZ2GAF!

KZObsessed

I think TTP's saying because the Helghast is a little more exposed on the left.

But behind that thin pillar he's directly in the line of fire, with bullets whizzing over my right shoulder I'd move to the left as well. He just needs to move over a bit more. Which is an animation issue rather than an AI one. Or maybe because he can't actually look at his own back so he doesn't realise. Or maybe because it's a video game and he's not real :p

Enojado

I'm getting more pumped for this game (just rewatched all the gamersyde videos I downloaded b/f they were taken off). But I have a bad feeling the game will get knocked too hard for lack of variety in the environments.

I mean, you can't have the game characters going to all sorts of locals if it doesn't make sense in context of the game's back story. So, Helghan being an inhospitable planet makes it seem pretty stupid for reviewers to expect a lush forest.

Anyway, regardless of what is said, this is a day one purchase for me.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I didn't want to get all hyped up about this game again, but jesus. Looking through this thread is killing me.

I want this game. Now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
FFObsessed said:
I think TTP's saying because the Helghast is a little more exposed on the left.

But behind that thin pillar he's directly in the line of fire, with bullets whizzing over my right shoulder I'd move to the left as well. He just needs to move over a bit more. Which is an animation issue rather than an AI one. Or maybe because he can't actually look at his own back so he doesn't realise. Or maybe because it's a video game and he's not real :p

If you watch the whole video, he fully hides behind the crate and turns around to face the player. The gif cuts that part off. But he can only "scoot" so much in one "scoot" so the animation is probably correct in terms of distance, physics, weight distribution. I thought these were motion captured, which means that's what the real actor did...

fps fanatic said:
This is kind of a stupid article/piece. It's from Gamedaily and it's called reviews from the future: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/g...from-the-future/?icid=aimDBDL3_link1-a&page=4 Their final verdict on an unfinished Killzone 2 product? 8/10.

A lot of people want Killzone 2 to get a review score of 8. Hell, even scooter said it would get "maybe a B" on the 1up show after playing half the game....and he gave R2 like a B+? KZ2 looks way better than R2.

It's sad

It's like, only the Gears and the Halos of the world deserve a 9 and above (wonder why)

These sites are really insecure about the possibility of a genuine killer app shooter on the PS3 and it shows.

That same GameDaily gave CoD4 a 10....despite the fact that KZ2's single player looks much, much better...and the multiplayer is already far deeper and more engaging.

Much like Resistance 2, Killzone 2 has a character issue. As much as we tried to like protagonist Sgt. Tomas Sevchenko, we just couldn't warm up to such a cookie cutter hero or care about the story. As a shooter, however, Killzone 2 provides wall-to-wall action. We could do without battling enemies that look startlingly similar, but for the most part, we had fun blazing through the war-torn locales, chucking grenades and shooting baddies. The special effects, weapon and character detail is among the best we've seen on PlayStation 3, and multiplayer extends the game's life, thanks to intense firefights that kept us up past our bedtimes. It will never live up to that infamous E3 2005 footage, but for what it's worth, Killzone 2 deserves respect.

Really, so you couldn't warm up to such a cookie cutter character in CoD4? I mean for crying out loud, these sites are trying their fucking hardest to downplay KZ2 over the most ridiculous of issues that never came up in previous titles that were given 9s and 10s...and that's their biggest complaint? Get real...

McLovin

KZObsessed

AndyD said:
If you watch the whole video, he fully hides behind the crate and turns around to face the player. The gif cuts that part off. But he can only "scoot" so much in one "scoot" so the animation is probably correct in terms of distance, physics, weight distribution. I thought these were motion captured, which means that's what the real actor did...

ahh ok, if he moves all the way over then it's perfect! He made the same decision I would make. A.k.a. get the fuck outta there! :p

Nizz

FFObsessed said:
Reviews from the future :lol

Here's a picture from the present motherfucker! Or the past... as it's an old build... ahh whatever it's purty.

http://www.gamereactor.se/media/big/killzone2_171302.jpg
It's almost like they're trying to soften the blow that's incoming :lol We know that we'll also be getting a new COD from Infinity Ward this year, so I'm curious how that'll end up getting scored. Don't get me wrong, I love myself some COD, and after the beta I love K2. Just wondering how the games will eventually compare in scores. I don't care since I'll be getting both games this year. I'm sure both will be pretty awesome. :D

panda21

wasnt the cod4 ai nearly non existent? its so cool to hate on ps3 these days :lol

heres my future review:

10000 metric mega points out of 10

EAT THAT

WinFonda

lol - from the RE5 future review.

"That would be fine in 2005, but having played Microsoft's Gears of War video games, Capcom's failure to innovate makes us feel like we're stuck in a time warp."

Que? :D I think Epic Games would like a word with GameDaily...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom