• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
0NyBq0j.jpg

y0u8QxH.jpg

Hton9G1.jpg

oxtnNNA.jpg

BayhZVq.jpg

Davey Cakes

Kirby's Dreamland 3? Not a bad choice. Probably the most underrated Kirby game.

It's just nice to see another SNES title up. We need to start seeing more SNES and N64 stuff. Genesis, NES, and TurboGrafx can be put aside for now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
call me crazy, but I'm not entirely turned off by those sandy beach screens... need to hear some impressions.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyword on new DSi stuff, or they going to have a month lull at the start like they did for VC?

HUELEN10

HELL YES MOTHERFUCKER!
I am so fucking happy right now, now all I need is Mario's Super Picross!
Banner will be updated after my classes today.

Lee N

Membre
VOOK said:
Anyword on new DSi stuff, or they going to have a month lull at the start like they did for VC?
Haven't heard anything, but it seems likely considering we got 13 titles to begin with. They probably need more time to finish whatever they're working on.

HUELEN10

Dragona Akehi said:
I can't believe this. Now NOA is content with only one release each for VC and Wiiware?

Fucking shit. God, this is pathetic.
Fuck, just noticed that......
Kirby made me overlook that. God Drgaona, I hope this doesn't become a trend....

TJ Spyke

Wii Will Rock U said:
Do we get Club Nintendo points for these games now?

Yes, but not yet. Wii Shop Channel games and Wii Channels are only eligible for the 10 coins survey done 4-6 weeks after you download them. That's why no one has gotten a survey for them yet. So if you download KDL 3, don't expect to get a survey (and thus your 10 Coins) until early to mid February.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:
this is pathetic.

While I do agree in a rather whole-hearted fashion... I've never PLAYED Kirby's Dreamland 3...

I'm annoyed in principle, if not in reality.

TJ Spyke said:
Yes, but not yet. Wii Shop Channel games and Wii Channels are only eligible for the 10 coins survey done 4-6 weeks after you download them. That's why no one has gotten a survey for them yet. So if you download KDL 3, don't expect to get a survey (and thus your 10 Coins) until early to mid February.
GOT IT. Thank you for answering my question. :D

Kirby's Dreamland 3 came out a bit after Kirby Super Star and it's inferior is most every way imaginable.

The art-style is neat though.

TJ Spyke

FYI, Kirby's Dream Land 3 was the last SNES game released by Nintendo in North America (they released Wrecking Crew '98 in Japan in March 1998 as part of the Nintendo Power download service which let people download games to special flash cartridges and play them on their SFC).

The last N64 game from them was Dr. Mario 64. The last NES game was one of the launch VC games (Wario's Woods).

Davey Cakes

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Kirby's Dreamland 3 came out a bit after Kirby Super Star and it's inferior is most every way imaginable.
Statements like these are exactly why I call Kirby's Dreamland 3 underrated.

HUELEN10 said:
How the fuck so?

First off Dreamland 3 is slow-paced. Which is fine for some people I guess but after Superstar's whiz-bang all over the place extravaganza DL3 seems to just crawl.

The neat co-op concepts in Super Star are replaced by some lame navy-blue turd thing and all of the cool abilities have been scrapped for well..more lame stuff. One feature allows you ride animals to access different areas/gain new powers. You can combine these animals with whatever your equipped ability is to get even more unique attacks. You don't really need them though so it just feels additional crap for the sake of it.

Also in order to get the best ending(or something) you have to solve these obscure puzzles in each stage that most of the time you won't figure out for at least one playthrough of the stage. Which wouldn't be so bad if the stages weren't already rather dull.

All in all it's a bit of a disappointment. =(

Very nice looking though as the entire game looks like it was done in colored pencils.

Rash said:
Statements like these are exactly why I call Kirby's Dreamland 3 underrated.

Well to be fair I still consider Superstar the best in the series so It's not like I consider DL3 a bad game.

Bog

Junior Ace
Got Tiki Towers as kind of a joke, but it's surprisingly fun. It may be the hardest game on the console, though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
TJ Spyke said:
FYI, Kirby's Dream Land 3 was the last SNES game released by Nintendo in North America (they released Wrecking Crew '98 in Japan in March 1998 as part of the Nintendo Power download service which let people download games to special flash cartridges and play them on their SFC).

The last N64 game from them was Dr. Mario 64. The last NES game was one of the launch VC games (Wario's Woods).

Wario's Woods was the only NES game to have an ESRB rating, too. Probably why it came out so fast on VC, no need to go back and have ESRB rate it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HUELEN10 said:
How the fuck so?

Slow, pedestrian, kinda just... there.

1st tier Kirby: Adventure, Dream Land, Super Star, Nightmare in Dream Land, Amazing Mirror, Canvas Curse, Super Star DS
2nd tier Kirby: Dream Land 2, Squeak Squad
3rd tier Kirby: Dream Land 3, 64.

Not that there's anything wrong with any Kirby game, even 64, but KDL3 is definitely bottom tier.

Stumpokapow said:
Slow, pedestrian, kinda just... there.

1st tier Kirby: Adventure, Dream Land, Super Star, Nightmare in Dream Land, Amazing Mirror, Canvas Curse, Super Star DS
2nd tier Kirby: Dream Land 2, Squeak Squad
3rd tier Kirby: Dream Land 3, 64.

Not that there's anything wrong with any Kirby game, even 64, but KDL3 is definitely bottom tier.

Yeah, Dreamland 3 is by no means a poor game, but it's not a top-tier Kirby by any means. It's only claim to fame is the absolutely astonishingly pretty 2D graphics.

TJ Spyke

djtiesto said:
Wario's Woods was the only NES game to have an ESRB rating, too. Probably why it came out so fast on VC, no need to go back and have ESRB rate it.

All VC games have to be re-rated. That's why N64 games had 2 entries on the ESRB site (one for the N64 version and one for the VC version).

I wonder if Nintendo will ever add the SNES version, I don't know what the differences were though.

No surprise that Kirby's Dream Land 3 looked so good, it came out in November 1997.

sfog

I wonder if Nintendo will ever add the SNES version, I don't know what the differences were though.

Better graphics/sound (obviously)
a vs CPU mode instead of the B-Type Round Game
higher overall difficulty in the Round Game stages (50 coins to a continue instead of 30, more complex enemy layouts)
The ability to save 4 multiplayer profiles which track win/loss records

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
okay okay I'm here. Slept in today. Should know better than to do that on a Monday from now on.

Archiving current OP in post below.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Original post for Dec. 29 — Jan. 4

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday in North America. They go up every Tuesday in Japan. They go up every Friday in Europe.

Japan

This week's JP WiiWare games

None. =(

This week's JP Virtual Console games

None. =(

This week's JP DSiWare games

None. =(

North America

This week's NA WiiWare games (released Dec. 29)

Cue Sports: Pool Revolution (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Nintendo Points, 179 Blocks)
Grab your Wii Remote™ controller and take a shot at this virtual billiard game. Enjoy match-ups, playing classic favorites such as 9 Ball, 8 Ball, Rotation and Snooker, as well as walk-through trick shots in Puzzle mode. Connect to Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection (Nintendo WFC) to go head-to-head with your friends, or even hustle opponents across the world in Nintendo WFC match-ups. This game offers two types of controls, allowing you to virtually strike the cue ball with your Wii Remote controller or use the buttons to adjust the strength of your shot and then strike. Hone your skills in Practice mode, learning all the cool techniques you need to be a true hustler. Use the edit feature to create your own challenge and nail the trick shot you've always dreamed of sinking. Pull off an amazing shot and show everyone who's the biggest shark in the pool.

MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade (Nintendo, 1-3 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Nintendo Points, 109 Blocks)
Featuring three distinct modes and simultaneous play across three game windows, the constantly changing environment of Maboshi's Arcade creates an atmosphere unlike any other. Each of the modes is based on one of three familiar shapes (circle, stick and square) and offers the same goal: score a million points. Use the intuitive controls to bash enemies in Circle mode, weave your way through Stick mode or burn a path around obstacles in Square mode-all while dealing with power-up items and keeping watch on which effects the other game windows may have on your own. Also featuring Mii™ characters, action replays that you can send to your Wii™ Friends via WiiConnect24™, and the ability to download a version to a Nintendo DS™, you may never want to leave this arcade.

This week's NA Virtual Console game (released Dec. 29)

Zoda's Revenge: Startropics II (NES, Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone — Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Nintendo Points, 17 Blocks)
Take on the role of Mike Jones, intrepid hero of the StarTropics universe, and once again battle the evil alien Zoda to control the fate of the Argonian people. In this journey, the island hopping of Mike's original adventure gives way to traveling through time and visiting locations around the world. And you never know what famous historical figures may appear along the way, giving Mike helpful advice or useful items. Luckily, Mike also has a wider range of weapons and improved play control on his side, so he may yet stand a chance against Zoda. Can you help Mike stand the test of time and save the world again?

Europe

This week's EU WiiWare games (released Jan. 2)

Fun! Fun! Minigolf (Shin'en Multimedia, 1-4 players, 900 Nintendo Points, 302 Blocks)
Play minigolf with your friends in beautiful environments. Choose a character and turn your Wii Remote controller into a golf club. With its easy-to-use controls, all you need to do is aim, swing and see who's the best putter. Play 27 holes spread across America, Asia and Europe. Enjoy exotic locations all over the world. Go for gold in single-player mode, or invite your friends. Fun! Fun! Minigolf supports up to four players. You can use one to four Wii Remote controllers. Fun! Fun! Minigolf is the ultimate party game for everyone.

Strong Bad Episode 5: 8-Bit Is Enough (Telltale Games, 1 player, 1,000 Nintendo Points, 316 Blocks)
Trogdor, the beefy-armed dragon of legend, has shaken free from his video game and is running through the countryside, "burninating" everything in sight. With a dragon on the loose and 8-bit classics leaking into the real world, it's all fun and games until the proud land of Strong Badia falls to Trogdor's fiery wrath. Now Strong Bad must take back the night by sending this scorching menace back into his arcade cabinet once and for all. Just one problem: Does anybody know how to kill a dragon?

This week's EU Virtual Console games (released Jan. 2)

None. =(

Links to Related Threads

For a more exhaustive look at the entire WiiWare library, including recommended titles to purchase and to avoid, check out PantherLotus' WiiWare Discussion thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247865

If you're looking for the old thread for Virtual Console and, to a smaller extent, WiiWare discussion, check out Kobun Heat's thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129709
He... he wants you to complain about how shitty VC is. So do that there.

To see the OP from Dec. 22 — 28, click here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14175114&postcount=158

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Meh, Dream Land 3. Along with Kirby 64, Dream Land 3 is one of the worst of the traditional Kirby sidescrollers, especially considering it was released after the utterly amazing Super Star. The art style and music are really nice, but the gameplay is too slow, the co-op is inferior, there are too few powers, and I'm not too fond of the animal buddies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Okay, OP is updated, including with the three Japanese VC titles scheduled for release on Jan. 6. They have terrible Babelfished translations, though, so any help there would be hot.

Stumpokapow said:
1st tier Kirby: Amazing Mirror
2nd tier Kirby: Squeak Squad

wait what? amazing mirror was a good idea that drove at full speed into a wall (one-way doors? sure, why not, their a series staple!)

squeak squad, on the other hand, suffers mainly from basically being 'another Kirby game', which kind of hurts the fact that a lot more care was put into designing levels/enemy layouts than previous games

TJ Spyke

nincompoop, yes Genesis/Mega Drive games are 600 in Japan.

Danthrax, this weeks JP release

Tantei Jingūji Saburō: Kiken na Futari (Zenkouhen) (which translates to "Detective Saburō Jingūji: A Dangerous Duo (Part 1+2)"
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Rastan Saga 2

Ranger X

Ok so this thread signs the death sentence to the other huge one I suppose?

Anyhow, I like the weekly thread for PSN so this is sweet to have for VC/Wiiware/DSiWare

Would be really nice to have the size in block and not just the points it costs. tks.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
dark steve said:
wait what? amazing mirror was a good idea that drove at full speed into a wall (one-way doors? sure, why not, their a series staple!)

squeak squad, on the other hand, suffers mainly from basically being 'another Kirby game', which kind of hurts the fact that a lot more care was put into designing levels/enemy layouts than previous games

Amazing Mirror was a fun extension of the concept established in The Great Cave Offensive. Honestly, it's my second-favourite Kirby side-scroller, right behind Kirby Super Star Ultra. I also give it credit for bringing back abilities with varied movesets and multiple attacks instead of the "one use and one use only" powers in Kirby's Adventure, KDL2, and Kirby 64.

Squeak Squad wasn't bad, but it's an incredibly forgettable game. Also, it had too many stages that were ridiculously short.

OMG Kirby Dream Land 3!! I don't have any points now but when i buy new ones I'll be sure to get it:D

It is also my favorite Kirby game :] *run*

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TJ Spyke said:
nincompoop, yes Genesis/Mega Drive games are 600 in Japan.

Danthrax, this weeks JP release

Tantei Jingūji Saburō: Kiken na Futari (Zenkouhen) (which translates to "Detective Saburō Jingūji: A Dangerous Duo (Part 1+2)"
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Rastan Saga 2

Thank you, you are the best.

Ranger X said:
Ok so this thread signs the death sentence to the other huge one I suppose?

Anyhow, I like the weekly thread for PSN so this is sweet to have for VC/Wiiware/DSiWare

Would be really nice to have the size in block and not just the points it costs. tks.

I know. I do that when I'm able to get the info but sometimes I can't find it anywhere. And the Wii Shop Channel doesn't let you get far enough to see the number of Blocks if you don't have enough Points to buy it in the first place, which is my problem. (I only put Points on there with my credit card when I'm about to buy something right then.)

[edit] oh hey, just found it. 296 Blocks for Sandy Beach and 48 Blocks for Kirby's Dream Land 3.

What game features the 'lil kiwi like creature with the chameleon tongue in the thread banner?

I'll probably get Dreamland 3 eventually since I never played it and the Metroid cameo scene is a nice little bonus for me. :)

I was really surprised to see a SNES title from Nintendo, that's for sure.

I'd love to get my crab battle on, not to mention Get Even (as mentioned in the Kohler Classic thread, the Invader game + nifty shmup bonus ships and missions = 680 blocks total) and do some Burninating, but until the SD fridge update I'm only open to downloading the occasional 8 or 16 bit game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom