• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xeodrifter coming out on Dec. 11 in NA (3DS eShop, $9.99)

I've been playing for about half an hour, and it's already scratching that Metroid itch I've been having. Looking forward to diving deeper into this world!

ys45

Your Lets play video convinced me man , I am getting this game tonight it look awesome and it's been a while since I played a new Metroidvania game .

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm in!

20141211_172225_hdrljeq1.jpg

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Hate how your guy is made of glass, with no way to replenish your health, you end up restarting from the very beginning of worlds when you die.

Then it takes forever to get back because it takes so long to kill anything. They fixed the movement speed from Mudds, but kept the other stuff that bugged me.

DirtyLarry

Game is brutal so far, but in a classic every move matters sort of way.
If you do not save after collecting something and you die, you have to recollect it.
As such it is the epitome of exploration as you will be backtracking just to save your progress once you pick something up.

They also do not explain a single damn thing really. The manual was 3 pages I think, and it is pretty much just the controls. That is it. Really means you are left to your own devices.

Honestly, it is the closest thing to Metroid I have played since Metroid itself.

So it all depends on what you like. This game will not be for everyone, that is for damn sure.

I imagine I will be playing it over the next few months, picking it up here and there and closing the lid of the 3DS and picking back up. Either that or I am going to get obsessed with it and play nothing but it. There is no inbetween I believe.

A definite nod to the days of old but it does not wax nostalgic.

If you like Metroid and owned a 3DS, there is simply just no reason whatsoever not to have already purchased this game. None.

Chrom

Just picked this up on Steam, looking forward to playing this.

Is there any interest in having an OT made for this game?

Fair warning, this game is really short. I beat it with 96% completion (missing 3 upgrades) with 2:29 in the Activity Log. If one knew where to go, they could probably cut that time in half.

ys45

Game is very good but yeah seems short I played about an hour and half and got like 4-5 upgrade lol

Still a great game thought

jblank83

I'm really liking it so far. It's a modern day homage to the original Metroid. It plays very smooth, the art style is nice, and it's fun.

Fair warning, this game is really short. I beat it with 96% completion (missing 3 upgrades) with 2:29 in the Activity Log. If one knew where to go, they could probably cut that time in half.

So it really is like Metroid.

Vanillalite

This game is most analagous to the OG Metroid.

It's rather linear, hard, semi obtuse, not super long, and has some questionable design changes from modern day to a more old school feel.

Yet if you love the OG NES Metroid like me you'll love this game despite it's faults.

I love the art and the music and the title screen SCREAMS Metroid. Game is great to me.

That being said it won't be for everyone. It's not gonna be for everyone that likes Metroidvanias or the Metroid series as it doesn't have a lot in common with either.

Zero Mission this is not. It's Xeodrifter NES Metroid style in all it's faults and glory!

This game is most analagous to the OG Metroid.

It's rather linear, hard, semi obtuse, not super long, and has some questionable design changes from modern day to a more old school feel.

Yet if you love the OG NES Metroid like me you'll love this game despite it's faults.

I love the art and the music and the title screen SCREAMS Metroid. Game is great to me.

That being said it won't be for everyone. It's not gonna be for everyone that likes Metroidvanias or the Metroid series as it doesn't have a lot in common with either.

Zero Mission this is not. It's Xeodrifter NES Metroid style in all it's faults and glory!

I'll respectfully disagree with the NES Metroid comparison. It feels very modern in a lot of ways, there's nothing really obtuse about it--there's automap, accurate controls, tons of weapon customization, etc. If you die to a boss, you start at the boss door with full health. Saving at the ship restores your health to full, as does getting a health upgrade. Boss patterns need to be learned, but
it's the same boss every time with a new move/pattern added to their arsenal
, and by the time I got to the final encounter, it was a breeze to beat it without dying even once. The graphics are full of modern effects and particle thingies, the music's excellent.

My only complaint, really, is that it's short like Ikachan. The Nintendo Life review said it would take 4 hours to 100%, but I essentially explored each of the planets again after every moveset upgrade and still managed a super-short finish time. I'm only missing two health upgrades and a gun stat upgrade, but I don't know when I'll be going back for them. My disappointment in how short the game was actually managed to last longer than the game did :p

Edit: You can respec your weapon at any time. If you pump all your points into power (the one that requires two points per upgrade level) and number of bullets on-screen (the one that looks like two bullets), you'll cut through everything like butter. There's also wave, spread, and speed.

Vanillalite

It's obtuse. Hell it drops you off at the start of the game staring at 4 planets with no clear indication of where to go. You can figure it out because it gates you, but its not exactly pointing you where to go.

Plus the map only maps itself when you go there, and if you die before you save no map. There aren't exactly map rooms ala Super Metroid or modern Castlevania.

Top that off you only get health when you find an energy tank or right before the boss. In that sense it's more hardcore than Metroid.

Plus you lack dodge, crouch, 8 way shooting ect... Just like the OG Metroid vs say Super or Symphony.

:p If "not having quest arrows" is obtuse, then it's obtuse.

There are also health-restoring power-ups hidden in blocks that you can shoot, they restore a good chunk of your health bar :3 And, they replenish when you leave the planet.

OnPoint

I'm not finding the game obtuse, but I can see where someone might not appreciate the "lack of direction" it gives you.

I also was upset at first at how scarce health is, but I've simply altered my playstyle to account for it and now it's cool.

I wish this was a bit longer... I want to buy it but the 1-3 hour estimated length of completion makes it not sound worth the price.

Except maybe it's extremely replayable? I've never tried to beat a Metroid game more than once to get a better time or get all the upgraded or anything, it's possible the short length of this will foster replayability.

Absolutely loved this and the Brian Altano music during the credits was a nice surprise. Please don't balk at the price, it's completely worth it.

OnPoint

FInished it today, 99% first time through. Was a really fun game. It wasn't long by any means, but the length didn't feel unfairly short.

Was worth the money. If you're on the fence already you'll more than likely like it.

JPS Kai

I am interviewing Jools Watsham from Renegade Kid for Back in my Play soon. Any questions/topics for him?

With so many companies doing metroidvania style titles, why do so few of them offer an RPG leveling style like the Castlevania of old? That's an itch that's rarely scratched.

pvpness

I really enjoyed this game. It's fast and fluid and right to the point. I could see how it would be confusing to younger gamers, but it's not obtuse by any stretch.

Take the start. It drops you in and you choose between 4 planets. If you aren't paying attention then you'll wonder which world is "first" by progressing in each world until you can't. But if your paying attention while you're choosing planets you'll notice that they're ordered on the lower screen by tiny white marks (I, II, III, IIII)

I really enjoyed the fact that they didn't baby you at all and made you pay attention to the details and then think it through, not something many people making games in the genre do.

Top Bottom