• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cursed Mountain (Wii) - Anyone heard of this?

batbeg

Akai said:
What's wrong with the character model? It's the hair isn't it? The bleach blond hair!

In case you're being serious...

2m766hy.png

It is really freakin' ugly. Blurry and with next to no detail, just some PSX-ish splashes of random dark patches.

Apenheul

Spherical harmonics lighting would be pretty hard to pull off on the Wii I would think. Afaik that's the lighting model used in Halo 3. I couldn't really see it in the offscreen movie so I'll wait for direct feeds.

J-Rock

Banned
A tiny bit of new info...

The game is still very early in development, so much so that all Deep Silver had to show on the title was a very short teaser trailer that offered up brief snippets of enemies and environments. But we had a chance to talk with the company about the game itself and what makes it a unique development on the system.

Cursed Mountain takes place in the 1980s where you're on a quest to find your lost brother, who went missing after a climbing expedition up in the Himalayas. Along the way up the mountain you'll start uncovering the horror of things to come: something indeed went wrong in the Buddhist community on this mountain, and the mountain has become cursed.

The game takes the idea of mountain climbing seriously, putting a lot of emphasis of the elements into its gameplay. The higher you go the tougher the climb due to the thinner air. You'll suffer altitude sickness which will cause hallucinations – sort of a play on the idea that Silicon Knights applied in Eternal Darkness where the player will be unsure whether what he's seeing in the game is actually happening or a trick of the mind.

It's also been said that the game will constantly keep things moving up: your goal is the summit of the mountain, so the camera will always keep that in view of the player to always taunt them that that's where they'll need to be going. The developers are also using true Himalayan references in the game design to add to the overall atmosphere -- how the Buddhists bury the dead is an image that could haunt players for weeks.

Though no gameplay was revealed at Games Convention, the teaser trailer did hint that there will be gesture controls to fight the spirits that will attack your character in his quest to the mountain's summit.

More will be revealed on Cursed Mountain as it gets closer to its First Half 2009 release date.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/902/902351p1.html

Akai

batbeg said:

Yeah, I was joking...The hair is what caught my eye first...

Cursed Mountain takes place in the 1980s where you're on a quest to find your lost brother, who went missing after a climbing expedition up in the Himalayas. Along the way up the mountain you'll start uncovering the horror of things to come: something indeed went wrong in the Buddhist community on this mountain, and the mountain has become cursed.

I'd like to know what the reason behind the decision to have this take place in the 80s is...To downplay the use of technological advancements?

The Eternal Darkness-inspired stuff sounds really neat...Looking forward to seeing how they pull it off...

The game is still very early in development, so much so that all Deep Silver had to show on the title was a very short teaser trailer that offered up brief snippets of enemies and environments.

More will be revealed on Cursed Mountain as it gets closer to its First Half 2009 release date.

Well, I see that theres no reason to pay much mind to the uglyness right now.

I'd like to know what the reason behind the decision to have this take place in the 80s is...To downplay the use of technological advancements?

I would think soo. They have that whole "altitude sickness which will cause hallucinations" thing which I assume was more of a problem back than.

turk128

Akai said:
Maybe Cursed Moutain is just a placeholder for it's true name...

Gymkata 2: Red Demons of Tebet

Arde5643 said:
A horror rhythm parody Space Ulala type game where you defeat zombies and other monsters by dancing to the beat of the music.

I would totally buy that. You guys should probably get started on it yourselves before one of the industry peeps that lurk here steal your idea.

I really liked the environments in that trailer. It seemed a little over the top with all the creepy sound effects going on and quick edits (yeah, that hasn't been done before) but still it looks promising. Why is it that these pretty unknown developers are taking their Wii ideas more seriously than the big 3rd parties? I would expect to see something like this come from Ubi and the guys at Deep Silver working on something like Dogz '08.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
wow, that lighting model sure makes those mountains look like something. tricks the eyes for a second. can't wait to see it in further in motion and further along in development.

Gwanatu T

Sounds freakin sweet. Anything that's even remotely like Eternal Darkness gets an immediate nod from me. Other than Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness is my favorite GCN game and probably my favorite horror game ever.

Ramenman

Sounds interesting.

Though the PR bit struck me as funny, like you could just replace some things here and there...
"With a fresh setting, gloomy atmosphere and the innovative use of the Wii controls, Sadness will deliver a unique, terrifying game play experience,"

No offense meant though, this obviously is coming from a real studio with actual games coming out of it.

CrisKre

This is definitely a surprise. that trailer look positively awesome. Its now on my radar for sure. Looks like the production values are pretty high too.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
farnham said:
they did the Xbox version of GTA SA right..?
According to Wikipedia:

* Max Payne (2001) (Xbox) (with Remedy Entertainment, Rockstar Toronto, and Rockstar Leeds)
* Max Payne 2 (2003) (Xbox, PS2) (with Remedy Entertainment)
* Grand Theft Auto III (2003) (Xbox) (with Rockstar North)
* Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2003) (Xbox) (with Rockstar North)
* Manhunt 2 (2007) (PS2, PSP, Wii) (with Rockstar North, Rockstar London, Rockstar Leeds, and Rockstar Toronto) Upon closure of the studio, the game moved to Rockstar London.

They were initially working on Manhunt 2, their studio got closed and the development moved to Rockstar London. Then they formed an independent team, which was acquired by Deep Silver last year.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I’m intrigued, and have been since the title was announced, but it still looks rough and in need of a lot of polish. The lack of any real solid hands-on previews has me concerned.

I can deal with a lack of polish if the core gameplay is a blast, but I get the feeling this is going to be a dud. It’s supposed to launch Q1 this year, right?

wsippel

Banned
EatChildren said:
I’m intrigued, and have been since the title was announced, but it still looks rough and in need of a lot of polish. The lack of any real solid hands-on previews has me concerned.

I can deal with a lack of polish if the core gameplay is a blast, but I get the feeling this is going to be a dud. It’s supposed to launch Q1 this year, right?
It's an Austrian/ German production, and Deep Silver's PR in the US is terrible. That's why there's so little info. There's some coverage in European publications every once in a while, though, including previews and interviews.

Darkpen

Banned
Does anyone else get a very small The Longest Journey/Dreamfall vibe? I mean, I guess its just because of the whole snowy mountain climbing thing, but still :p

CiSTM

Banned
Darkpen said:
Does anyone else get a very small The Longest Journey/Dreamfall vibe? I mean, I guess its just because of the whole snowy mountain climbing thing, but still :p

I was actually thinking the same :lol

... I'm still waiting for my Dreamfall Chapters.

wsippel

Banned
batbeg said:

2m766hy.png

It is really freakin' ugly. Blurry and with next to no detail, just some PSX-ish splashes of random dark patches.
From a more recent build:

abj8uf.jpg

And a few other new shots:
24qo03k.jpg

k2o60j.jpg

qqu7py.jpg

vg2yxe.jpg

iosef

I will be purchasing this software product.

(Although I always chortle when we get Wii screenshots at a much higher resolution than the Wii can actually output.)

From the amount of effort, this is Wii's most prestigeous title. But it is really lacking hype, the should probably show some more stuff.

Eteric Rice

Character model looks good, cept for the hands. Hair needs a little more work, but much better than before.

Overall looking pretty cool, though. :)

Arde5643

Frencherman said:
From the amount of effort, this is Wii's most prestigeous title. But it is really lacking hype, the should probably show some more stuff.
Agreed - these guys should go more aggressive with their hype a la Conduit's.

Top Bottom