• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

TJ Spyke

Where is the original Contra? Konami and Nintendo added the NES sequel and the SNES sequel, but not the original (don't say it's because Contra 4 has it because Contra 4 also has Super C).

Ranger X

EmCeeGramr said:
Pretty sure they haven't given a release date. They wanted to get it out before Christmas, but they're still working on it because they decided to add bonus content like DLC.

but this provides me an excuse to post my graphics comparison

16a8rwy.gif

WOWwowowow that's amazing. I'm buying this so day one.

beelzebozo said:
any disney game starring a duck instantly gets my gaming dollar.

Even though it doesn't star a duck, I'm still hoping (foolishly, I'm sure) for Castle of Illusion for Genesis. So awesome. Of course, if a duck is required I'll take World of Illusion, but only after the first one.

Not only did the Japanese version of CV3 have the superior music, but also the more ideal enemy damage structure, where the damage received is based upon the enemy/projectile rather than the current level.

Hopefully there's a way to convince Nintendo to put up import versions on the service. There were other Konami games, such as Contra and Life Force/Salamander, that had stuff that our versions were missing.

megashock5 said:
Even though it doesn't star a duck, I'm still hoping (foolishly, I'm sure) for Castle of Illusion for Genesis. So awesome. Of course, if a duck is required I'll take World of Illusion, but only after the first one.
World of Illusion's co-op blew my mind as a kid. You mean I actually have to help my friend get through this hole? Awesome!

Also, I played and beat Cave Story last weekend. That is an amazing game. I'll by the Wiiware version the moment it goes up.

SonicMegaDrive said:
No, it doesn't.

But I think it's a fair fact that all of the Tiny Toons games across every system were great. Even the Game Boy and Genesis ones were gold.

Heck, there was even one for the Gameboy Advance that was developed by Treasure. Was it good? It was OK. It wasn't as much a platformer as it was a beat-em-up. So I was a little disappointed. But it's a cool game.
As I recall, that Tiny Toons game for the GBA was something of a prototype for Astro Boy. So, it served its purpose.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
crowphoenix said:
Also, I played and beat Cave Story last weekend. That is an amazing game. I'll by the Wiiware version the moment it goes up.

Glad to see you made it to the party, crowphoenix. :D

I've beaten Cave Story several times, but I'll buy it on WiiWare to support Pixel and to see any new content that gets added.

jarrod

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
As I recall, that Tiny Toons game for the GBA was something of a prototype for Astro Boy. So, it served its purpose.
Too bad we never got the PS2/GC brawler. Reminded me of PowerStone.

Iam Canadian said:
Glad to see you made it to the party, crowphoenix. :D

I've beaten Cave Story several times, but I'll buy it on WiiWare to support Pixel and to see any new content that gets added.
It was fantastic. I beat it in one sitting. :lol Everytime I felt about ready to stop the bad guys would do something else horrible, and I just couldn't stand for that.

jarrod said:
Too bad we never got the PS2/GC brawler. Reminded me of PowerStone.
That's like the combination of awesome nostalgia and awesome potential into something totally awesome.

Awesome

Iam Canadian

crowphoenix said:
It was fantastic. I beat it in one sitting. :lol Everytime I felt about ready to stop the bad guys would do something else horrible, and I just couldn't stand for that.

Which ending did you get? If you didn't use a guide, odds are you missed quite a bit. ;)

Iam Canadian said:
Which ending did you get? If you didn't use a guide, odds are you missed quite a bit. ;)
As I was playing it at work (Weekend shift. I'm the only one there.), I didn't get to watch all of the credits roll. But I beat the 4 part boss, which was a bitch, and collapsed the island. I managed to save Sue, and we both jumped from the island only to be caught by her brother.

Also,
I noticed I could power up my original gun again late in the game. Is it actually better than the machine gun? That hover ability at level 3 is amazing.

Davey Cakes

Speaking of "other threads" why don't we just have one official thread? People should just post in the other thread from now on, since it incorporates DSiWare on top of WiiWare and Virtual Console.

This is the bitching thread. In time, this one will die. But we got the new one because this one became too convoluted, so we just moved that convolution to the new thread.

Iam Canadian

crowphoenix said:
As I was playing it at work (Weekend shift. I'm the only one there.), I didn't get to watch all of the credits roll. But I beat the 4 part boss, which was a bitch, and collapsed the island. I managed to save Sue, and we both jumped from the island only to be caught by her brother.

...Yeah, you'll be wanting to play it again. ;) The way to get the true final area, boss, and ending is really convoluted and unintuitive, so you'll probably need a guide.

crowphoenix said:
Also,
I noticed I could power up my original gun again late in the game. Is it actually better than the machine gun? That hover ability at level 3 is amazing.

There are three weapons you can trade the Polar Star for. The first is, of course, the Machine Gun, which is your second-best option. You can get the Snake in the Labyrinth by trading the Polar Star and the Fireball to the cockroach running the shop. The Snake fires shots that wiggle up and down erratically and travel through walls. It's pretty useless and you're trading in two weapons for it, so don't bother.

However, if you bring the Polar Star back to the weaponsmith (where you got it at the start of the game) after completing the Labyrinth, you get the Spur, which is by far the best weapon in the game; instead of relying on weapon power-ups, it's chargeable, and its fully-charged shot is one of the strongest attacks you can get. It's almost mandatory for the hellish final area.

Iam Canadian said:
...Yeah, you'll be wanting to play it again. ;) The way to get the true final area, boss, and ending is really convoluted and unintuitive, so you'll probably need a guide.

There are three weapons you can trade the Polar Star for. The first is, of course, the Machine Gun, which is your second-best option. You can get the Snake in the Labyrinth by trading the Polar Star and the Fireball to the cockroach running the shop. The Snake fires shots that wiggle up and down erratically and travel through walls. It's pretty useless and you're trading in two weapons for it, so don't bother.

However, if you bring the Polar Star back to the weaponsmith (where you got it at the start of the game) after completing the Labyrinth, you get the Spur, which is by far the best weapon in the game; instead of relying on weapon power-ups, it's chargeable, and its fully-charged shot is one of the strongest attacks you can get. It's almost mandatory for the hellish final area.

I already want to play it again. The ending I got was actually very satisfying, so it's nice to know there is an even better one.

Johnas

crowphoenix said:
I already want to play it again. The ending I got was actually very satisfying, so it's nice to know there is an even better one.

I just went through Cave Story again this weekend. Still an instant classic.

Are you familiar with the extra dungeon? It's pretty insane. You'll probably have to look up the conditions to get there, it'd be fairly difficult to meet all the criteria on your own without knowing, imo. It's awesome though, and very much worth finishing. Just be patient. ;)

EmCeeGramr said:
but this provides me an excuse to post my graphics comparison

16a8rwy.gif

This deserves posting again. I wasn't going to bite on the WiiWare version (don't have my consoles online) but I'm now strongly reconsidering.

Quote looks really sharp in the remake.

nyprimus2 said:
Thinking about selling my 360 and getting a Wii. Where is Turtles in Time?
I wouldn't recommend it. It'll be awhile before anything new and good comes out, and by then you can have saved up the slow way. Then you have both systems and no regrets.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
crowphoenix said:
I wouldn't recommend it. It'll be awhile before anything new and good comes out, and by then you can have saved up the slow way. Then you have both systems and no regrets.

February and March, as well as the sizable backlog of good games the Wii has built up, say hi.

That said, I don't think anyone should sell their consoles because they'll probably end up wanting to play them again down the road. Especially the 360, which still has quite a few good days ahead of it.

Danthrax said:
February and March, as well as the sizable backlog of good games the Wii has built up, say hi.

That said, I don't think anyone should sell their consoles because they'll probably end up wanting to play them again down the road. Especially the 360, which still has quite a few good days ahead of it.
What's out in February?

And I didn't say the Wii has no good games nor did I say none were coming. All I said was that there was time to save and not regret selling a system.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
crowphoenix said:
What's out in February?

And I didn't say the Wii has no good games nor did I say none were coming. All I said was that there was time to save and not regret selling a system.

Well you said there wouldn't be any good games coming out for a while, but good games actually come out next month. I also wanted to make the point that there are already a ton of good games on Wii that he could buy in the meantime while he waits for new games to come out. If he's talking about buying a Wii, he presumably hasn't played many or any of the games already out.

BTW, February is the launch month for Little King's Story, Tenchu 4, House of the Dead: Overkill, and Deadly Creatures. Things are looking pretty good.

Also, March holds in store Broken Sword, MadWorld, Rune Factory Frontier, Sonic and the Black Knight, We Ski, and the Wii controls versions of Mario Power Tennis and Pikmin. So those are all right around the corner as well.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DeaconKnowledge said:
Why are there two Wiiware/VC Threads?

One is the cool, hip thread for all the crusty old folks who have been chatting about the Virtual Console for the past two years and Wii Ware for the past year.

The other is the brash young thread for all the whippersnappers indulging in DSi, Wii Ware, and Virtual Console discussion.

Dave Long

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
So I found
CONTRA: HARD CORPS
at a thrift store for $3 today

Thrift Store >
Virtual Console, confirmed.
Wow. That's a pretty decent find. Nice savings over eBay at least.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kobun Heat said:
So I found
CONTRA: HARD CORPS
at a thrift store for $3 today

Thrift Store >
Virtual Console, confirmed.

Pfft. I found one selling a copy of Resident Evil 4 for just $9.99, and Wind Waker for the same price.

Danthrax said:
Well you said there wouldn't be any good games coming out for a while, but good games actually come out next month. I also wanted to make the point that there are already a ton of good games on Wii that he could buy in the meantime while he waits for new games to come out. If he's talking about buying a Wii, he presumably hasn't played many or any of the games already out.

BTW, February is the launch month for Little King's Story, Tenchu 4, House of the Dead: Overkill, and Deadly Creatures. Things are looking pretty good.

Also, March holds in store Broken Sword, MadWorld, Rune Factory Frontier, Sonic and the Black Knight, We Ski, and the Wii controls versions of Mario Power Tennis and Pikmin. So those are all right around the corner as well.
I probably could have phrased myself better, but I was referring to the next batch of good games being out in March when I told him to wait. I did not know about the February releases, of which I am really looking forward to House of the Dead, so I stand corrected.

Iam Canadian

Honestly, I'm probably the Nintendo fan that's most disdainful of the Wii's retail library, but even I have to admit that there are a few promising-looking titles on the horizon, namely Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment 2, and Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Also, speaking of Contra, why on Earth haven't we gotten the original NES Contra or Hard Corps yet? I know Konami doesn't always release game series in chronological order on VC (after all, we got Super Castlevania IV before any of the others), but the lack of the original Contra just baffles me. You'd think we'd have at least gotten ESRB ratings by this point.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
Also, speaking of Contra, why on Earth haven't we gotten the original NES Contra or Hard Corps yet? I know Konami doesn't always release game series in chronological order on VC (after all, we got Super Castlevania IV before any of the others), but the lack of the original Contra just baffles me. You'd think we'd have at least gotten ESRB ratings by this point.
It didn't occur to me until you mentioned this, but now I'm just hoping that Hudson ceasing their non-Japan VC output was their own decision and not handed down from their parent company.

(And yes, I know: Castlevania III just recently. But as we know when it comes to NOA and VC releases, that could have been in queue for months now.)

mosaic

go eat paint
Man, I am SO PISSED!!

SO ANGRY!!

LIVID!!

I'm in the right thread for bitching, right??

Anyway, I just discovered MUSHA came out for Virtual Console. First off, neither Virtual Console thread made much mention of that. Shame on you all!

Secondly, and the thing that really shits in my cereal, I just spent my last 800 Wii points on it.

FUCK!!

Now I have to play that lovely excuse for a shoot-em-up!! I haven't used my Wii in months. The system update took like 20 minutes. But now I'm playing it again! I don't have time for this!

Thanks a lot, Sega... thanks a lot....

mosaic said:
Man, I am SO PISSED!!

SO ANGRY!!

LIVID!!

I'm in the right thread for bitching, right??

Anyway, I just discovered MUSHA came out for Virtual Console. First off, neither Virtual Console thread made much mention of that. Shame on you all!

Secondly, and the thing that really shits in my cereal, I just spent my last 800 Wii points on it.

FUCK!!

Now I have to play that lovely excuse for a shoot-em-up!! I haven't used my Wii in months. The system update took like 20 minutes. But now I'm playing it again! I don't have time for this!

Thanks a lot, Sega... thanks a lot....
You shouldn't have updated dude :(

If/when my Wii bites the dust, what happens to all the VC games I bought? Surely there is a way to download them on a new Wii without paying for them again, right? Right?

Naked Snake said:
If/when my Wii bites the dust, what happens to all the VC games I bought? Surely there is a way to download them on a new Wii without paying for them again, right? Right?

Send it in to Nintendo and they'll transfer all of your downloads (Wii Ware, VC, DLC) Save files and Miis to a new machine.

cvxfreak

Dragona Akehi said:
Why would you do that? Selling systems never made any sense since you'll end up buying it again down the road.

...well, this thread should underscore how compelled I was to sell my pre-GC Nintendo systems (or at least attempt to).

beelzebozo said:
i'm still waiting on:

- blast corps
- duck tales 1&2
- quackshot

and, in fantasy-land, hoping they'll pick up dreamcast as a platform and put some stuff like toy commander up. but that's a pipe dream.

I would pay full retail price for a Toy Commander update/remake with online play. Christ, would that be a fuckin' rush. By far one of the best multiplayer games on the DC.

Top Bottom