• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This weeks thread of Famitsu Sex

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Link said:
You could just read the translation by Jonnyram in the OP. There's a whole bunch of stuff announced.

Besides the vague announcements of DR2 and LP2 I didn't see much.

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh please. MS aren't capable of that.
I hate your sarcasm :lol

RpgN said:
As demonstrated by many multiplatform games in Japan, the ps3 version always sell more with quite a margin. Microsoft must have done something really good to make those devs turn their heads. Of course there is also the argument that many Japanese devs want to appeal to western audience too, but I don't know if that plan is really working besides the 2 Mistwalker games.
I discussed this in another thread, and a certain poster even proved the point for me. Microsoft simply takes on development costs for games and makes them exclusive on 360 in most of these cases. As reality has shown, PS3 game sales are always higher in Japan than on 360 and usually by a very large amount. That's one way developers make their money back, by sales from PS3+360. But its better for Microsoft in this case for them to make them as exclusives and reap the rewards in the long term.

I think it's safe to say for example that many PS3 owners bought the system in anticipation of JRPG games. This is something that Microsoft saw very clearly and realized that being the newcomer they'd have to shake people up from their preconceptions, hence the multitude of puzzling exclusives on 360 in Japan when sales would be very well on PS3 and even better as multiplat. Now if you look at some earlier releases in this generation, 360 sales would be very low and PS3 sales would dwarf them. Only way to remedy that was by making those games exclusives so that it doesn't appear on PS3 period and forcing consumers to have the one and only option if they wanted to play that specific title.

Now this didn't work that well in the beginning(In terms of sales) as the games kept their usual levels on 360 regardless of no PS3 release, but recent sales such as Vesperia have shown that consumers are starting to just go for what console provides the goods now that they've realized the games not the same anymore with one platform providing it all.

So in essence Microsoft has taken Sony's big advantage(Japan) and turned it against them. And now they're being slapped around in almost every territory. Now PS3 sales are on average better than 360 sales in Japan, kind of like what happened in North America last year where the PS3 outsold the 360 on several occasions but the 360 eventually caught up again. Same thing continues to happen in Japan with the PS3 leading.

However, like I said earlier. It doesn't matter about the short term is business, it matters about the long term and putting in an investment that will pay off later on. Shane Kim said this himself in an interview a while back ago, where he acknowledged that their intent or belief was not that they'd win in Japan this gen. Microsoft has already stirred the conscience of the average buyer in Japan for the next generation, and that's all that matters.

So we all might look at these sales and grumble about how they'd be better if they were multiplat, but next generation this will be a real problem for Sony when nobody thinks of them as the "go to" for games. Especially with the advent of the Wii, they'll have to claw their way back now with really engaging games to stand a chance.

KingJ2002

CrushDance said:
Okay, lets do this again:

Namco, CyberConnect2=Playstation

Ubisoft=Xbox

8ing, D3, Tomy=Nintendo

As for which ones the best? Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 for GameCube.

really? the franchise is whored out like that?

well.. hopefully ubisoft modifies he engine so it has better animations.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm not really sure what you find funny. People keep trying to tell me that the only reason Wii wasn't seeing support from developers was because they wanted to finish up the projects they already had in the works first. Yet, we still keep seeing more announcements from big Japanese publishers for the HD consoles. Are we just going to push back the "changeover date" some more?

CrushDance said:
I discussed this in another thread, and a certain poster even proved the point for me. Microsoft simply takes on development costs for games and makes them exclusive on 360 in most of these cases. As reality has shown, PS3 game sales are always higher in Japan than on 360 and usually by a very large amount. That's one way developers make their money back, by sales from PS3+360. But its better for Microsoft in this case for them to make them as exclusives and reap the rewards in the long term.
Have there even been any multiplatform games in Japan worth a damn?

I think it's safe to say for example that many PS3 owners bought the system in anticipation of JRPG games. This is something that Microsoft saw very clearly and realized that being the newcomer they'd have to shake people up from their preconceptions, hence the multitude of puzzling exclusives on 360 in Japan when sales would be very well on PS3 and even better as multiplat. Now if you look at some earlier releases in this generation, 360 sales would be very low and PS3 sales would dwarf them. Only way to remedy that was by making those games exclusives so that it doesn't appear on PS3 period and forcing consumers to have the one and only option if they wanted to play that specific title.

Now this didn't work that well in the beginning(In terms of sales) as the games kept their usual levels on 360 regardless of no PS3 release, but recent sales such as Vesperia have shown that consumers are starting to just go for what console provides the goods now that they've realized the games not the same anymore with one platform providing it all.

So in essence Microsoft has taken Sony's big advantage(Japan) and turned it against them. And now they're being slapped around in almost every territory. Now PS3 sales are on average better than 360 sales in Japan, kind of like what happened in North America last year where the PS3 outsold the 360 on several occasions but the 360 eventually caught up again. Same thing continues to happen in Japan with the PS3 leading.

However, like I said earlier. It doesn't matter about the short term is business, it matters about the long term and putting in an investment that will pay off later on. Shane Kim said this himself in an interview a while back ago, where he acknowledged that their intent or belief was not that they'd win in Japan this gen. Microsoft has already stirred the conscience of the average buyer in Japan for the next generation, and that's all that matters.

I think it's more to do with Capricorn waning in the house of Libra.

Son of Godzilla said:
Have there even been any multiplatform games in Japan worth a damn?

I think it's more to do with Capricorn waning in the house of Libra.
Not that I can think of. Everything else has been only on 360 :p

RpgN

You raise good points in what Microsoft is intending. I guess I don't have much to add except for one thing. You said it would be better for Microsoft but is it better for third parties too? Are they aiming for a long-term business as well?

Aaron: :lol I could totally see that with Bill Gates inviting everyone :D

biocat

RpgN said:
As demonstrated by many multiplatform games in Japan, the ps3 version always sell more with quite a margin. Microsoft must have done something really good to make those devs turn their heads. Of course there is also the argument that many Japanese devs want to appeal to western audience too, but I don't know if that plan is really working besides the 2 Mistwalker games.

Here's what's going on, and it's been backed up by many interviews and editorials in Japanese magazines that I've read.

Japanese game developers are frightened by how Western developers are seemingly overtaking them. In order to retake their lead, they realize that selling well over-seas is a vital component. Domestic competition is not a problem since western games that sell noticeably well in Japan are few and far between. So Japanese developers are focusing on boosting their overseas numbers. This means focusing on a platform that may be doing dismal in their own territory if it get them the sales they need elsewhere.

That is where most of this support is coming from. Western developers have scared Japanese developers into expanding, basically.

RpgN said:
You raise good points in what Microsoft is intending. I guess I don't have much to add except for one thing. You said it would be better for Microsoft but is it better for third parties too? Are they aiming for a long-term business as well?

Aaron: :lol I could totally see that with Bill Gates inviting everyone :D
Well third parties rarely lose anything in exclusives such as this whereby the company comes to a developer and takes on the cost of making the game. The developers still make money on units sold as well. It's much better than an exclusive where the developer still has to take on the cost by themselves, works pretty well in this economy as well I would reckon.

They don't lose anything.

biocat said:
Here's what's going on, and it's been backed up by many interviews and editorials in Japanese magazines that I've read.

Japanese game developers are frightened by how Western developers are seemingly overtaking them. In order to retake their lead, they realize that selling well over-seas is a vital component. Domestic competition is not a problem since western games that sell noticeably well in Japan are few and far between. So Japanese developers are focusing on boosting their overseas numbers. This means focusing on a platform that may be doing dismal in their own territory if it get them the sales they need elsewhere.

That is where most of this support is coming from. Western developers have scared Japanese developers into expanding, basically.

I'm not seeing the excellence in wrpgs...at all... certainly fallout 3 isn't a model I would want them to follow. Its quite obvious though why the ff games sell well in the West and none of the others do though...

biocat

nelsonroyale said:
I'm not seeing the excellence in wrpgs...at all... certainly fallout 3 isn't a model I would want them to follow. Its quite obvious though why the ff games sell well in the West and none of the others do though...

But JRPGs vs. WRPGs isn't the point. It's that not too long ago Japanese developers dominated almost every genre. Now they don't.

Jonnyram

nelsonroyale said:
Do you mean you don't like WRPGs at all, or you don't think that Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Fable II are good WRPGs?

CrushDance said:
Well third parties rarely lose anything in exclusives such as this whereby the company comes to a developer and takes on the cost of making the game. The developers still make money on units sold as well. It's much better than an exclusive where the developer still has to take on the cost by themselves, works pretty well in this economy as well I would reckon.

They don't lose anything.
You have absolutely no idea.

Jonnyram said:
Do you mean you don't like WRPGs at all, or you don't think that Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Fable II are good WRPGs?

??? no I said ME is excellent, just that it isn't not a model I would want say ff to fallow (pretty much the only jrpg I care about haah)...

Fallout 3, is a funny beast...somethings it does very nicely, other aspects are very poor...

Ultima is one of my fave series of all time...much preferred it to oblivion etc.

Fable 2 looks pretty good, the whole micromanagement stuff looks like fluff to me ...

So yeah, I like some wrpgs, as I also like some jrpgs

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

yurinka

So they are making Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2 multiplatform but Dead Rising 2 still not "oficially" confirmed?

Ramenman

Capcom
- 2009 will be multi-platform year

Bububu year of the PS3 ?? :p

Bethesda
- will not release any games with an average review score less than 80

Oh god, how stupid can your statements get ? I'm not saying that won't happen, but there's like a hell lot of better ways to say "we'll only put out awesome games". And they chose the shittest way.

Llyranor

Ramenman said:
Oh god, how stupid can your statements get ? I'm not saying that won't happen, but there's like a hell lot of better ways to say "we'll only put out awesome games". And they chose the shittest way.
That's funny, because I rate the last 2 (and only - NEVER AGAIN) Bethesda games I've played 0 and 0, respectively.

Paracelsus

Ramenman said:
Bububu year of the PS3 ?? :p

Capcom said they won't be making any more exclusives, ever. Considering the initial situation favoring the 360, I'd say this somehow helps PS3.

Unless DR2 is 360/Wii multi and not PS3/360/Wii multi, which would be idiotic, but you never know.

biocat said:

Only problem is many of said games haven't been doing so hot outside of Japan either

(TOV, IU, TLR, etc)

Ramenman

Llyranor said:
That's funny, because I rate the last 2 (and only - NEVER AGAIN) Bethesda games I've played 0 and 0, respectively.

I wasn't talking about the game, just about the stupid talk.

I don't think I've ever played a Bethesda game.

Quazar

Dam thanks for the developer translations Jonny. Some nice info in there. Famitsu always seems to have the best developer weigh-ins/round tables etc.

They're usually around this time every year.

jarrod

Banned
Link said:
Are we just going to push back the "changeover date" some more?
LOL. I'm not sure, but nice to see you make the awkward first move in goalpost shifting. :lol

Also, Capcom Japan isn't making DR2, they've outsourced it westward. Must've been too busy with the crusty Wiimake or something. :lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
neojubei said:
Dead Rising 2 on the PS3? I'd buy it. I almost bought the first one on 360, now I do not have to.
Yeah, close call. You almost had to buy an awesome game.

jarrod said:
LOL. I'm not sure, but nice to see you make the awkward first move in goalpost shifting. :lol
I'm actually referring to others doing the goalpost shifting.

I think this also pretty much confirms that regardless of how well Chop til You Drop does, the Wii won't be seeing DR2. (Unless it's another situation like the first game.)

jarrod

Banned
Link said:
I'm actually referring to others doing the goalpost shifting.
Huh. Looked to me like you were trying to lead by example.

Link said:
I think this also pretty much confirms that regardless of how well Chop til You Drop does, the Wii won't be seeing DR2. (Unless it's another situation like the first game.)
Yeah, Capcom isn't making Dead Rising 2 for Wii. Then again, they're not making Dead Rising 2 at all, Blue Castle Games is. :lol

Capcom Japan's internal HD commitment looks to be winding down with RE5, bar the off chance LP2 is done inhouse. Then again, I knew they bought K2 for a reason...

FrankT

Bethesda
- will release multiple titles in 2009, including a surprising big project using another firm's

Not sure how I missed this nugget the first time around, but am interested. The multiple titles thing I'm not even sure how that is possible. I wonder how long they have been working on Elder Scrolls V. 2010 seems like a lock.

AFreak

Banned
CrushDance said:
No? He is right in terms of software attention. Sales are a different story, but it can only keep on for so long before the switch happens, since you need games to fuel sales and interest.

Yep, and we all know PS3 has no games. :rolleyes:

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hero of Legend said:
Yeesh, were any Wii games even shown in this issue?!

Italics abuse.
I think its time to start accepting that Japan (and the broader development community too) aren't jumping onto the Wii full throttle like alot of people have been expecting.

jarrod

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
I think its time to start accepting that Japan (and the broader development community too) aren't jumping onto the Wii full throttle like alot of people have been expecting.
Yeah. Japan seems content jumping onto DS, but the broader development community seems to prefer jumping into bankruptcy.

I was just shocked that this week was so MS and Sony focused.

But there is a page going around that shows like four Wii games, three WiiWare, and one retail game that's about a baseball game with a Koala mascot...

Well... hope there's somethng better for the Wii crowd next week. :p

wsippel

Banned
It probably doesn't warrant a new thread, but it seems Kizuna is still pretty much alive, even though Jaleco was sold. There were two website updates since yesterday (a forum and a developer blog were opened), and I believe the copyright notice was updated, too, from 2008 to 2009.

http://www.kizuna-game.jp/

Top Bottom