• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is back at $399. Lineup for crow pie => thataway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I actually believe that because sales in January will be low for both systems anyway. If a person has friends who recently got a certain system for Christmas than he/she may side with getting that system this month to play games with them.

As I said before though, this is simply due to December NPD not being out yet. My feelings would change if the Xbox One beat the PS4 by a pretty small amount in December.
I don't get why this effect is Xbox-exclusive.
There are at least as many PS4 as XBoxOne-Users in the US. And they all have friends (I hope). So the virality effect should be nearly the same. And now with the price advantage gone it could even lend to: "Yeah, you got it for 350$ plus 2 games plus gift card... I cannot find a deal like that, wtf. I am not interested."

Chobel

Yes, I actually believe that because sales in January will be low for both systems anyway. If a person has friends who recently got a certain system for Christmas than he/she may side with getting that system this month to play games with them.

As I said before though, this is simply due to December NPD not being out yet. My feelings would change if the Xbox One beat the PS4 by a pretty small amount in December.

And in that case PS4 will sell more, simply because PS4 has higher userbase in US (No way the December difference between console sales will be +700K). Now add XBO price increase to that.

Juanfp

Maybe with the Windows 10 event, they will use the event to announce something? I don't know, I am only speculating.

EatMyFace

Banned
There are at least as many PS4 as XBoxOne-Users in the US. And they all have friends (I hope). So the virality effect should be nearly the same. And now with the price advantage gone it could even lend to: "Yeah, you got it for 350$ plus 2 games plus gift card... I cannot find a deal like that, wtf. I am not interested."
XBO has more momentum from the holidays though being the one who won 2 months in a row. (Most likely)

Maybe with the Windows 10 event, they will the event to announce something? I don't know, I am only speculating.
They should not use a Windows 10 event to talk about XBox-pricing-strategy.
Well, they should not. But Microsoft knows how to surprise nowerdays.
Xbox-related as in: XBox is now a synonyme for gaming in the microsoft product family? This should be a given.

I don't see why this is that big of a deal; it's just a $50 difference from the holiday sale. The XB1 still comes with 2 games for $399 vs PS4 at $399 with no games. The XB1 will still look better on the shelf compared to PS4.

IF the sales plummet (which they will) it won't take too long for it to go back down.

I still do not comprehend the point of having a temporary price drop.

Friggin retarded! Either drop the price permanently or don't bother.

Um...the point of the temporary price drop is the same as all consumer electronics around the holiday season? Increased sales when people habitually spend the most money? I'm not sure I understand the hatred in this thread. (Keeping it honest; I own both a PS4 and a Xbox One)

Copen

Banned
I think it just shows how much Microsoft put into November. So much money for mindshare and sales, which will probably be entirely undone until next November when they repeat the process again.

I maintain, they've now set a bottom line for their console price. You would be mad to pay more for less when the precident has been set for them to go that low.

I wholeheartedly agree. The precedent has been set and sales will suffer from the price hike. I really despise how MS just cares about the holidays it's a terrible strategy no matter who does it.

Feels so good to be right. I would post a bunch of links to threads where I argued with complete fools but I'm too lazy to care.

But I was right and you know who you are those who doubted me.

how can you blame us? MS dropped the price for two entire months and enjoyed record sales.

this is why the general public will ask WTF is going on with the price. they would have assumed it was a permanent price drop and gone back to the store to see a $399 XB1. the quick drop to $329 was unprecedented for a game console, and so is two months of amazing sales offers.

SURGEdude

The $399 XBO vs $399 PS4 before this holiday is no longer equally applicable given how much the libraries and consumer exposure has changed.

XBO will fall behind. But I'm not convinced it will be to the former numbers.

While I don't agree with what you said about Evolve vs. The Order or Bloodborne I do think it's still of people to dismiss the point you are making about consumer exposure. The effect of friends owning one console vs another and playing together on XBL or PSN is an issue that I'm sure effects many more casual single console per gen buyers.

I'm not a big online multiplayer type so the PS4 would have been my pick if I didn't want to own all 3, but if I was a more social gamer I could see buying the console that my friends bought.

I still think they missjudged the effect and will quickly retreat back to $350 or less. Yet I do see their thinking.

XBO has more momentum from the holidays though being the one who won 2 months in a row. (Most likely)

While it may have momentum through those two months, it isn't that much more than what PS4 will also have on top of the momentum it had throughout the year. If it takes January NPD it will be by the skin of its teeth just given how poor January sales tend to be on top of that price increase.

I'm not in the mindset of most here thinking XBO will tank to where it used to be, but PS4 will overtake it fairly quickly.
While I don't agree with what you said about Evolve vs. The Order or Bloodborne I do think it's still of people to dismiss the point you are making about consumer exposure. The effect of friends owning one console vs another and playing together on XBL or PSN is an issue that I'm sure effects many more casual single console per gen buyers.

I'm not a big online multiplayer type so the PS4 would have been my pick if I didn't want to own all 3, but if I was a more social gamer I could see buying the console that my friends bought.

I still think they missjudged the effect and will quickly retreat back to $350 or less. Yet I do see their thinking.

It's most a marketing for hardware, and nothing to do with the individual software. Didn't mean for it to come across as a direct competition between the titles necessarily, nor guaranteeing that Sony won't market them/Microsoft will market Evolve. As others said, I was relying moreso on anecdotal account. I've pretty much accepted I didn't do any research and made some stupid mistakes with that post. To get called a Microsoft fanboy by Bishoptl despite of everything beyond that post on these boards these past 2-3 years made that very clear lol

exactly. But why the hell do they choke their momentum o death like that?
Honestly, they made a lot of right moves, the most important one: Lowering the price/adding value (games), so the consumer finds the xbox more attractive than the competitor.
And now this...

akGCO47

Banned
Smart play for sony would be to do a price drop now. It would force microsoft to cut to $299, because when the systems are evenly priced the PS4 dominates. Maybe sony loses a bit, but microsoft would lose a ton just to stay a little ahead in one country.

Thats just silly. Guarantee there will be no official price drop this year by Sony. But I can see Sony decreasing the price of there console during the holidays like Microsoft did.

exactly. But why the hell do they choke their momentum o death like that?
Honestly, they made a lot of right moves, the most important one: Lowering the price/adding value (games), so the consumer finds the xbox more attractive than the competitor.
And now this...

it's probably not viable to keep losing money like that. I assume the xbox division convinced the higher ups at MS to go through with some revenue loss in order to gain some market/mindshare. once the holidays were over they were forced to go back to a more profitable plan.

Bgamer90

Banned

I never said it was Xbox exclusive. Said in my previous post that it will be the case for both systems. I simply said it may help the Xbox One in January because it got more Holiday sales than the PS4 (well, that is if the Xbox One did better than the PS4 in December by a decent amount too).

And in that case PS4 will sell more, simply because PS4 has higher userbase in US (No way the December difference between console sales will be +700K). Now add XBO price increase to that.

Overall North American userbase wasn't my point. My point was from people who are talking about the consoles they got over the Holiday season and stats so far show that more people got the Xbox One during that period. Don't know how the system did in December NPD (since it isn't out yet obviously) but if it beat the PS4 by a similar amount that it did in November then I could definitely see people getting the Xbox One in January simply because they have friends who recently got one. Same will be true of the PS4 too but I was simply saying that the Xbox One (possibly) selling more during the Holiday season could help the system in January.

The price increase would hurt the Xbox One even more if the system didn't do better than the PS4 this past Holiday season.

Doesn't Xbox, like Nintendo, tend to sell more (proportionally) during the Holidays? And it's not just about price cuts, but also a huge emphasis on marketing as well.

Meanwhile Sony doesn't push as many deals or have quite the same marketing blitz, but they tend to have higher sales throughout the rest of the year? In other words, they don't get nearly as large of a holiday bump.

Assuming this is true, I don't see any reason why the Xbox One would continue to outsell the PS4 in the US now that they're back at price parity.

EatMyFace

Banned
Guys, what do you think is the probability of a $250 discless SKU? That way they can do a "price drop" but not really drop the price and the increase in digital revenues would be huge. It would also leave a lot of room for a huge redesign of the console itself.

Thats just silly. Guarantee there will be no official price drop this year by Sony. But I can see Sony decreasing the price of there console during the holidays like Microsoft did.
Over 2 years after launch without a price drop? Really doubt that. What's the longest a playstation went from launch until first price drop?

EatMyFace

Banned
Doesn't Xbox, like Nintendo, tend to sell more (proportionally) during the Holidays? And it's not just about price cuts, but also a huge emphasis on marketing as well.

Meanwhile Sony doesn't push as many deals or have quite the same marketing blitz, but they tend to have higher sales throughout the rest of the year? In other words, they don't get nearly as large of a holiday bump.

Assuming this is true, I don't see any reason why the Xbox One would continue to outsell the PS4 in the US now that they're back at price parity.
Everything sells more in the holidays. The leading console gets the biggest increase in sales. Nintendo stuff also usually gets its since entry price is usually pretty low and at impulse buy/gift giving levels.

Derpyduck

Banned

Not sure why you'd exclude Sony from that. Playstation sells more during the holidays as well.

Guys, what do you think is the probability of a $250 discless SKU? That way they can do a "price drop" but not really drop the price and the increase in digital revenues would be huge. It would also leave a lot of room for a huge redesign of the console itself.

I think there were rumors early last year about a cheaper digital box, but either those plans were scrapped or were never in the cards.

Thing is, there's still R&D to be done, even if it's essentially just designing and making a box without a disk drive. Then all the marketing and manufacturing costs for it.

Then there's if consumers will even take to digital games where they will be reliant on mostly Xbox Live pricing. I'm not sure where digital sales for games stand in comparison to retail to know how lucrative such a shift would be for the system to be that attractive.

Also have to keep in mind that a large number of consumers are unfortunately still unable to access internet with decent speeds and caps to where all digital is viable.

Would be interesting to see though and I feel that all digital skus will be a thing in the next few years. But I think Microsoft has to start getting close to turning a profit, if not already, on the system to take that jump.

I can [hoping to] be underestimating consumers being able/wanting a digital sku, so I could be misjudging all this. But right now with everything that is seemingly going on behind the scenes at Microsoft, it might be too much of a risk for them in their eyes.

Ricky_R

I can't really say that yet. Both will have big drops in sales and we may see the Xbox One slightly higher due to Xmas word of mouth from people who recently bought it. Depends on how well the system did over the PS4 in December.

That goes against the narrative that being priced lower is the main reason the Xbone sold better in November and most certainly December.

Bringing the price back up negates that. PS4 will have the same word of mouth as well as the usual advantages it had over the Xbone before the temporary price drop.

Bgamer90

Banned
Over 2 years after launch without a price drop? Really doubt that. What's the longest a playstation went from launch until first price drop?

I want to say that happened with the PS2. Believe it got its first price drop in early 2002 -- around one year and six months after launch.

The PS1 got its first price drop pretty early (less than a year after launch); Sony wanted to make sure they crushed the Sega Saturn.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oh yeah they know how to market just like they did with Sunset Overdrive.

Microsoft seemed best at marketing their new ips last gen, so I'm surprised that it hasn't carried over to this gen.

Seeing how they failed to push Titanfall, I don't see Evolve doing squat. It doesn't have "it". They could do well with Tomb Raider though.

Kariodude

Banned
I honestly think it all came down to wanting to not be dominated the entire year. Now they're hoping that sales boost will create some word of mouth to get more sales, but the console still isn't really worth having yet.

Copen

Banned
I will guarantee the price will drop back to 350 very soon. Xbox was already struggling before those very good black friday sales. Truth be told i can't see xbox competing with the ps4 at 399.99. As numbers prior to the sales proves my point.

Sony will most likely drop the PS4 down to $350 sometime this year no games no bundle just the stand alone for $350. You think it's sold well so far just wait until this happens they won't be able to stock stores fast enough.

Bgamer90

Banned
That goes against the narrative that being priced lower is the main reason the Xbone sold better in November and most certainly December.

Bringing the price back up negates that. PS4 will have the same word of mouth as well as the usual advantages it had over the Xbone before the temporary price drop.

It is true that price is a big reason why many bought the Xbox One in November and December.

Console sales are usually low in January though and there's really no major games coming to either console this month. This therefore makes some of the main selling points for both consoles this month being the games that released late last year plus influence from "friends who recently got this console during the Holiday season".

You brought up the period before the Xbox One got its temporary price drop but that period had differences. That was when the PS4 had a good streak of doing better in sales than the Xbox One.

This month though (January 2015) will be right after the Xbox One sold more than the PS4 (NPD) during the biggest months of the year (well, if the Xbox One did better than the PS4 in December too). I would say that makes the situation a bit different in comparison to how things were during the summer and early fall months of 2014 -- especially since those months didn't have as many big games as the 2014 Holiday season.

*Edit: I'm only talking about January. I definitely think the PS4 will do better than the Xbox One once the exclusives come.

Feels so good to be right. I would post a bunch of links to threads where I argued with complete fools but I'm too lazy to care.

But I was right and you know who you are those who doubted me.
It's hard for me to believe anything the company responsible for the following shenanigans says:

*removing always online DRM/game lending/selling/etc after telling us it was their vision of the future and we should buy a 360 if we didn't like it
*letting us unplug the Kinect, and eventually selling the XB1 without the Kinect after telling us it was required for the system to run

This would have been just another 180 in a long line of 180's.

It's hard for me to believe anything the company responsible for the following shenanigans says:

*removing always online DRM/game lending/selling/etc after telling us it was their vision of the future and we should buy a 360 if we didn't like it
*letting us unplug the Kinect, and eventually selling the XB1 without the Kinect after telling us it was required for the system to run

They 180'd their decision to do another 180.

we simply weren't ready for such technology

;)

RBK

Banned
Can't say I'm really surprised the price went up, even though I did expect them to keep it at $350 to put the pressure on Sony.

Safe bet is that PS4 wins January 2015 NPD, but don't expect a sizeable margin.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Sure people are willing to pay $399 for their console, but probably not at their current 2015 games. That might change, but I bet they want to sell a bunch of console before E3 as well.

The Lamp

how can you blame us? MS dropped the price for two entire months and enjoyed record sales.

this is why the general public will ask WTF is going on with the price. they would have assumed it was a permanent price drop and gone back to the store to see a $399 XB1. the quick drop to $329 was unprecedented for a game console, and so is two months of amazing sales offers.

You can be blamed if you completely ignored evidence that said the price would go back up over the holidays.

TomShoe

Banned
Hey, the One is at $369 right now on Amazon. It's sold by E Trust and fulfilled by Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFXON1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

All these deals are from 3rd party sellers. Amazon's official price is back at $399.

uIbyU.jpg

Derpyduck

Banned
Hey, the One is at $369 right now on Amazon. It's sold by E Trust and fulfilled by Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFXON1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure what point you're trying to make. You can buy it cheaper than MSRP at Ebay as well. The point is that the major retailers have moved the price back. Obviously some of the retailers that sell on Amazon are going to keep it low to move product or they simply didn't notice that the MSRP jumped back up today.

Defiant to the end. Keep fighting that good fight fellas.

Z_Y

Bought an AC bundle for the bedroom the other day. Got a $50 gift card for GameStop as well. Can't beat that deal.

Ricky_R

It is true that price is a big reason why many bought the Xbox One in November and December.

Console sales are usually low in January though and there's really no major games coming to either console this month. This therefore makes some of the main selling points for both consoles this month being the games that released late last year plus influence from "friends who recently got this console during the Holiday season".

I don't think games released late last year will help any more than upcoming games early this year. Hell if you didn't get an Xbone with the crazy discounts they had and at a time of the year where it becomes more feasible for many to get one, I don't see how games that already released will help all that much.

Also, word of mouth works both ways, I don't understand why people keep holding onto it when the PS4 still sold quite well these holidays, and when all is said and done it still will be on the lead. I would think that the system that's on more people hands will propulse more word of mouth. Specially when that system still has good perception and it has some attractive games coming early, and throughout the year.

You brought up the period before the Xbox One got its temporary price drop but that period had differences. That was when the PS4 had a good streak of doing better in sales than the Xbox One.

That was the result of the PS4 being more desirable at the same price of its competitor.

foltzie1

I expect a diskless 360 before a diskless Xbox One. Plus the cost of the Blu-Ray isn't ~$100. Though I must admit, I would find it a tempting option.

Welfare

Not sure what point you're trying to make. You can buy it cheaper than MSRP at Ebay as well. The point is that the major retailers have moved the price back. Obviously some of the retailers that sell on Amazon are going to keep it low to move product or they simply didn't notice that the MSRP jumped back up today.

Just pointing out you can get it cheaper right now somewhere ;) It's a deal, nothing nefarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom