• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best SPANISH movies! (Los mejores películas ESPAÑOLES!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

May16

I wanna watch some Spanish-language films to help try and prevent me losing all that Spanish I spent so much time learning. (This statement will be ironic if I made an error in my thred title. All the more reason to brush up, if so!) Among other little things, I figure watching some Spanish-language flicks is one good way to keep the skill level from sinking.

Simply using the Spanish audio track on DVDs doesn't cut it either. Can't stand stand that. No me fricking gusta.

So, GAF, what are the best films in Spanish?

I guess I can start things off with one of the more recent/obious, I suppose, El Labyrinto Del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth). Instant classic.

*Edited the gender disagreement in my title. There!

beje

Banned
It's "Las mejores películas españolas" but whatever :lol

Besides, spanish cinema is not so great, and that comes from a native spaniard. Pretentious directors, super ego'd actors, shitty dialog, awful scripts... There is the usual gem here or there but absolutely nothing really remarkable.

Yet you can try REC if you like horror films. If you're into cheesy 80's you can try "Que he hecho yo para merecer esto" or "Pepi, Lucy y Bom". Going back to 90's, "Tesis" is also good.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
En el momento, no me puedo acordar de peliculas pero no te preocupes! Cuando me acuerde, te dire!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Alright, I remembered some I liked

Como Agua Para Chocolate
Diarios de Motocicleta
Maria, llena eres de Gracia
La Misma Luna

I hope that helps.

Edit: and recently I saw Derecho de Familia and although most say it's boring, I actually enjoyed it a lot.

May16

beje said:
It's "Las mejores películas españolas" but whatever :lol
Yeah see, a year or three ago I wouldn't have botched that. Now you see the need for this thread. Thanks at least for not laughy facing about it.

Edit: Fricking juniors!

Dascu

I recommend Day of the Beast/Dia de la Besta. It's a more light-hearted, sometimes tongue-in-cheek horror/thriller about the coming of the Antichrist. It's very enjoyable and it also features the gorgeous Maria Grazia Cucinotta.

polg

Not from Spain, but spoken in Spanish:
NineQueens~Nine-Queens-Posters.jpg

One of my favourite movies ever.

Amores Perros was cool, it's been a while since I seen it though.
Anyone know the name of a movie about gambling? It involved somekind of luck game, like people running in a forest blindfolded.

GrayFoxPL said:
http://coloverio.securesites.net/blogs/cinefagos/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/tropa-de-elite-poster-imagem333kn21.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That is not spanish, it's freakin Portuguese! argh must hold on outburst....
[QUOTE=Dascu]I recommend Day of the Beast/Dia de la Besta. It's a more light-hearted, sometimes tongue-in-cheek horror/thriller about the coming of the Antichrist. It's very enjoyable and it also features the gorgeous Maria Grazia Cucinotta.[/QUOTE]
Quite a gory flick if I recall.

megateto

Prime crotch said:
Anyone know the name of a movie about gambling? It involved somekind of luck game, like people running in a forest blindfolded.

That would be Intacto. Really cool movie.

That is not spanish, it's freakin Portuguese! argh must hold on outburst....

I'm afraid that it's Brazilian.

El Dia de la Bestia is a really funny take on the whole Antichrist mythos. With heavy metal :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Watch all the Torrente's movies.
And every single movie who is directed by Alex de la Iglesia.
No soy español, pero son muy buenas pelis.

megateto said:
That would be Intacto. Really cool movie.

I'm afraid that it's Brazilian.

El Dia de la Bestia is a really funny take on the whole Antichrist mythos. With heavy metal :D
I was refering to the language, since it was the source of his confusion, since there's no such thing as speaking Brazilian, therefore it's Portuguese.

Intacto? hmm I think you are right, weren't they making a American remake?

snacknuts

we all knew her
megateto said:
You didn't see The Others?

Not en español. I can only assume that the Nicole Kidman movie by the same name is a remake, but that's the only version I've seen.

And I REALLY want to see [REC] but I have no idea where to find it.

Eeikod

Calle 54 (An amazing movie and a great documentary about latin jazz)
La Noche de los Girasoles (2005)
Atraco a las 3 (196x)
Los Lunes al Sol ( Javier Bardem at his best)
Airbag (Guy Ritchie meets Santiago Segura, great fun full of remarkable quotes)

atomico

Crimen Ferpecto was a fun little movie, iirc

and +1 for Nueve Reinas

maybe El Mariachi (not spanish either), for shits and giggles?

Prime crotch said:
Quite a gory flick if I recall.

Not at all, there's some amount of violence, but it's not gory at all, otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch it.
El dia de la bestia, it's a great movie.
Tesis, Abre los ojos (Don't watch the American adaptation, named Vanilla Sky), Los Cronocrimenes
Intacto, it's a very nice movie, about people who "steals" luck from other people, I think it was badly underrated in our country, one of the reasons this type of films are barely done here. Edit: Already mentioned, nice one GAF, you never cease to amuse me.
La comunidad, very funny movie, from the director of "El dia de la bestia"

Mis recomendaciones:

¿Quien puede matar a un niño? (Who can kill a child?)
1yn954.jpg

One of the best spanish movies I saw, it's like "The Village of the damned" but without aliens and all, just and pure cruelty and horror.

And, please watch, La Cabina

What is La cabina? It's something you must see to understand, the best thing our public television has done in his history.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

zesty said:
Not en español. I can only assume that the Nicole Kidman movie by the same name is a remake, but that's the only version I've seen.

And I REALLY want to see [REC] but I have no idea where to find it.

Nope, Nicole Kidman's The Others is actually the original one... the director's Spanish and it was filmed here but it was obviously shot in English. As for REC, I don't know why it gets so much love from GAF. I thought it was da shit when I went see it back when it was in theaters around here.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Intacto, it's a very nice movie, about people who "steals" luck from other people, I think it was badly underrated in our country, one of the reasons this type of films are barely done here. Edit: Already mentioned, nice one GAF, you never cease to amuse me.
It was featured on Fantasporto (a famous cinema festival here) way back in the day, I think it even won some awards and all.

Vitten

Jamon Jamon ( I'm not sure the movie poster is SFW... )

With a very young and luscious Penelope Cruz showing everything she's got. And it's a lot...

Prime crotch said:
It was featured on Fantasporto (a famous cinema festival here) way back in the day, I think it even won some awards and all.

Yeah, I think Fresnadillo (name of the director) it's very talented, maybe GAF will recognize him, because he directed 28 Weeks Later

FiRez

"Los mejores películas ESPAÑOLES!" is wrong

the correct phrase is: "Las Mejores peliculas ESPAÑOLAS!"

peliculas is a female sustantive for that reason you should use "Las: a female article" instead of "Los: a male article"

Spanish is weird, I mean: who got the great idea that objects should have a gender? :lol

anyway I liked "El Laberinto del Fauno" and that's it

Jasup

"Y tu mamá también" was the first thing I thought of, the second was "Tierra"...

I know I haven't seen many movies that are in Spanish, but from the ones I have these two are the better ones.

Dali

-The Devil's Backbone is a decent Del Toro movie.

-The Orphanage isn't that great, but watchable if you just want to be exposed to Spanish.

-[REC] is awesome.

-I want to see the animated movie, Nocturna. I think Spanish is its original language.

Crateman

25u1rie.jpg

It translates to something along the lines of "Rough and Cheesy".

Mexican rednecks, the mafia that is behind soccer, and a parady of everything considered "naco" by Mexicans.

And quite funny too.

Blackhead

Redarse
Crateman said:
http://i42.tinypic.com/25u1rie.jpg
It translates to something along the lines of "Rough and Cheesy".

Mexican rednecks, the mafia that is behind soccer, and a parady of everything considered "naco" by Mexicans.

And quite funny too.
Is that still doing doing the festival circuit or is it getting a wide release?

my contribution
35iwzf9.png

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Karate a muerte en Torremolinos.
EDIT: I actually feel bad for recommending that. Don't watch it :lol
Watch this awesomeness instead. Pure Lovecraft awesomeness.

DAGON: LA SECTA DEL MAR

la última actuación de Paco Rabal, pedazo de actor
y a Raquel Meroño, se le ve to el...

Crateman

Charred Greyface said:
Is that still doing doing the festival circuit or is it getting a wide release?

Geez, I don't know. I just went to the movie theater last friday and I saw it. Alas, I'm sure it will have a relatively wide release outside Mexico.

Crateman said:
Geez, I don't know. I just went to the movie theater last friday and I saw it. Alas, I'm sure it will have a relatively wide release outside Mexico.
Imdb says it's scheduled for a limited release here in the US on May 8th. The trailer looked great.

Just to second what a few people here have mentioned: Intacto is quite good. I really enjoyed Volver and El Espinazo del diablo (The Devil's Backbone) as well. I also saw La Zona (Mexican movie) at the SF Film Festival last year and enjoyed it.

Rewrite said:
Alright, I remembered some I liked

Como Agua Para Chocolate
Diarios de Motocicleta
Mario, llena eres de Gracia
La Misma Luna

I hope that helps.

Edit: and recently I saw Derecho de Familia and although most say it's boring, I actually enjoyed it a lot.

I agree with Rewrite. Those are really awesome movies.

And btw, it's Maria, Llena Eres de Gracia and not Mario =D

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Aunque soy puertorriqueño en verdad que no me gustan las peliculas en español! Soy tan blanco que mis pensamientos ya ocurren en ingles y no en español. :(.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
pelicansurf said:
Aunque soy puertorriqueño en verdad que no me gustan las peliculas en español! Soy tan blanco que mis pensamientos ya ocurren en ingles y no en español. :(.
Los Españoles somos blancos. Estamos hablando de películas españolas, de España, Europa. No confundir con películas de habla hispana (o como un cazurro mas arriba que ha puesto Tropa de Elite, película BRASILEÑA).
Uf, que gustirrinín da hablar en español :D

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
DKnight said:
Los Españoles somos blancos. Estamos hablando de películas españolas, de España, Europa. No confundir con películas de habla hispana (o como un cazurro mas arriba que ha puesto Tropa de Elite, película BRASILEÑA).
Uf, que gustirrinín da hablar en español :D

Si pero yo digo blanco americano cuando yo soy claramente MARRON(BROWN).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom