• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kierwynn

Game 1 down!

pq96GvR.jpg

Game #1- Ar Nosurge (PS3) | 1/9/2015 [49 hours]
I've been a fan of the Ar Tonelico series since the first one. I bought this day 1 to support the series, but it took me awhile to get through the Ciel Nosurge summary (which is a requirement if you want the most out of this game) due to my busy schedule. I'm glad I finally got to play it as it was a very enjoyable experience. The combat was interesting, the characters were fun and the music is as wonderful as the rest of the series. I only wish they would have released Ciel Nosurge out here first so you could get the extra stuff at the end. If they ever localize the vita versions of this and/or ciel I would def play it again!

Original Post

Sulla1980

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145799233&postcount=443]Original post[/URL]

Game #2: Wolfenstein: The New Order

So I am not doing such a hot job of keeping to my original list. But I think exceptions should be made when you get sucked into something.

I started up Wolfenstein some time ago. I thought the opening mission was great, the plot device for the following missions was neat, but I didn't love the game.

Lately though I pushed deeper, and I am happy that I did. The key, for me, was the stealth. By no means is the stealth deep or complex, but its simplicity is what makes it for me. Move up behind, take them out. Move through tunnels to reach a better spot. It all works really well, and when it doesn't, you just dual-wield one of your weapons to get yourself out of a jam.

Really happy that I pushed through my early "meh" feeling.

jg4xchamp

Game #1: Transistor - 1/04/15 (5 hours)

Overall okay game at best, but hardly anything special. I feel the same way about this game as I do Bastion. The music is amazing, the story stuff is hit or miss. In this game's case I think the way the game is telling stuff through you mixing and matching powers is a lamer way of doing MetroidPrime/Dark Souls story telling. The ending is solid, but whatever. But the gameplay is frankly average at best, because while the mechanics in theory offer some decent depth, the level design is basically non existent. This was my problem with Bastion as well as the level design in that game revolved around a freakin gimmick.

A lot of it is just this little arenas with pillars and shit and you run around bashing buttons and using your turn move to finish the job with very little thought or effort necessary, mostly using the same 2 or 3 techniques that serve your purpose. You could mix and match, but I never felt the need to, just like Bastion. Some of the trials are fun, but that's really it.

Game #2: Bayonetta 2 - 1/10/15 (50 hours)

I conquered everything with Bayonetta 2. Beat it on all the difficulties, beat the lost chapters, beat the portals, and beat Rodin finally. Fuck what an amazing game, haven't gone that ham on a game in a long ass time, and don't see myself doing that again this year since I'm aiming for 52. I love the game, the weapon variety, the crazy amount of bosses, the ridiculousness of everything, and all that jazz was on point. Mechanically it feels so much better than the original, and for my money the original either had the best combat in the genre, or it was Ninja Gaiden 2. Had such a great time, but part of me thinks there are aspects about Bayonetta that worked better, I don't know. For starters I think Bayonetta 2 being easier for me is something I'm holding against it. Beyond that I also think it's an Arkham City v Asylum scenario for me. The 2nd game is so much better in every major way, but there is something about the original that makes it more memorable for me. Maybe because Bayonetta 2 feels like an encore act to Platinum's brand of crazy, where as the original was like OMG this game is crazy as fuck.

Game #3 Super Time Force
- 1/28/15 (5 hours)

I like Super Time Force a lot, the music is cool as shit, and rewind time contra gameplay is a lot of fun. I think the "puzzle" description or calling them puzzle elements doesn't really work for me. It's still fundamentally a contra like game, but you're managing a time mechanic, and needing to pay attention that you have clones setting you up for power ups, or creating sequences where there are like 4 or 5 of your guys on screen. It's dope. Thought some of the boss fights just felt tedious, the final stretch for instance was just a whole lot of me rewinding back to the beginning of the level and shooting as red dude to get the job done. Also needed more sequences like the 2nd to last level where you were using a combination of the characters, to set up your next life (after you rewind) to succeed and go further. Otherwise good game.

Game #4 Double Dragon Neon - 1/28/15 (3 hours)

The two dudes play air guitars, that's fucking awesome lol. Final boss was holy shit what the fuck arcade bullshit. Fun game though.

Game #5 Beat D4: Dark Dream's Don't Die - 2/3/15 (4 hours)

I'd like to avoid counting episodic shit separately, but chances of Microsoft actually not being douche and giving me more of these episodes isn't going to happen. Plot wise I'm hella interested because it's the right brand of Sweary crazy, and the anime ass nature of his shit never bugs me. The playing the game part is whatever. It doesn't have any of the out right pixel hunting boredom of other adventure games, but it has about as much gameplay as a recent Telltale game or Heavy Rain, meaning it barely has anything worth mentioning on that front. All in all I'd pony up if Microsoft sucked infinitely less, and gave me the finishing episodes of this. I enjoy this much more than anything David Cage ever made.

Game #6 Beat Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 2/13/15 (30 hours)

In the grand scheme of things I don't care for a lot of the combat, some of the puzzles are lol levels of simplistic with most of them being mundane individually, and the water temple, jabbu jabbu's belly, and the gerudo fortress are lame segments. Plus there is a whole bunch of Zelda shit that always bugs me, but the game was amazing 17 years ago, was legit the 4 or 5 years after it I played, the game was entertaining in February 2015, and chances are it'll still be a fun game 17 years from now. The overall flow of the game made it worth it, with the forest temple, bottom of the well, shadow temple, Gannon's palace, the sisters, bongo bongo, Puppet Gannon, and the music being highlights of the game.

Game #7 Beat Megaman X - 2/21/15 (10 hours)

Man what a fucking game right there, totally the all time classic it's made out to be. I was banking on it being fun after I saw the sequelitis on it, and holy shit this game does a lot of cool things. It's got the same old good rock, paper, scissors gameplay that makes Megaman and the bosses fun in general, but just the addition of a dash move and wall jump adds for more slope/vertical obstacle courses that are such a joy to play as opposed to vertical levels being pretty lame in og megaman (I hate the elecman stage). What I'm super impressed by is weird little shit the game does that just doesn't happen these days, like if you do the flame mammoth level without beating chill penguin that area has a ton of lava in it. If you do it after beating chill penguin that lava is turned to ice. There is a heart tank that requires you to beat Launching Octopus so there is water added to an underground cavern in the cameleon level.

Just little cool shit like that 2d games and even 3d games don't do enough. Megaman X is an awesome awesome game.

Game #8 Beat The Order 1886 - 2/28/15 (6 hours)

That was a pretty boring game. All visuals, but a whole lot of dull and generic third person shooting.

Game #9 Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 3/15/15 (2 hours)

I felt like replaying the game, and because lets be a real it's a nice list padder. It has me so excited for The Phantom Pain.

Game #10 Bloodborne - 4/12/15 (60 hours)

I love this game. The atmosphere is as usual fantastic, and the concept of Lovecraft meets Souls is a match made in heaven, or hell, or outerspace, whichever. The combat changes were to my liking as it freshens the series up for me, other aspects were hit or miss like blood vial farming being lame, or how little PvP there is. On the other hand I love the new weapons, the hunters, and the guns for parrying. Fantastic game. But I'm starting to get a bit Soulsed out I think, I don't know, because I don't want to do the cahlices. Maybe it's because I was so absorbed by the rest of the game that I need a break

Game #11 Batman: Arkham Asylum - 6/22/15 (15 hours)

I still really like the game. The atmosphere, the pacing, the clarity of the plot still holds up, and I forgot how audacious the ending was while also being lame as hell all at the same time. Riddler stuff was grand, and the predator stuff are a highlight. Combat needed more though

Game #12 Batman: Arkham City
- 7/5/15 ( 24 hours)

When I beat this game in 2011 I never did the sidequest, so this year I corrected that mistake. I am not converted on sidequests lol, but I enjoyed the improved abilities for batman's combat, the predator stuff being a sheer delight, and the challenge rooms, and some of the riddler puzzles were legit well thought out. I prefer Metroid structure to open world games, but I'd be hard pressed to honestly believe City isn't a better game than Asylum.

Game #13 Her Story - 7/10/15 (2 hours)

It was a cool experimental type game and I thought the lady was attractive as hell. Beyond that the plot ultimately doesn't do enough for me to have any lasting appeal, neat game for at least one playthrough.

Game #14 Gone Home - 7/17/15 (2 hours)

I appreciate how different the experience and the environmental story telling, but I find there is a great disconnect between the plot that is told and the game that is played. To me it falls apart in the area it absolutely had to nail.

Game #15 Splatoon - 7/21/15 (4 hours)

The game is pretty unique and fresh in a genre that has gotten stale for me. Personally it fits the Jak 2/3 and Ratchet and Clank mold of shooter/platformer, and it holds its own nicely. There was a nice mixture of levels, but there was also a lot of filler, some of the bosses were just dull, and the final boss was fun, but all it made me think was how come the rest of the bosses weren't like this? The single player certainly doesn't compete with the multiplayer.

Game #16 Metal Gear Solid - 7/21/15 (11 hours)

When I was a kid I thought this game was the shit, now? I think Solid Snake and that poorly written plot is still the shit lol, but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. While the core stealth gameplay is still enjoyable to this day, there are large stretches of gameplay sequences that are straight up bullshit. Also that Grayfox boss fight is so boring. Cool game though.

Game #17 Legend of Korra - 7/26/15 (4 hours)

The core combat mechanics are good, and the final boss fight is straight up intense. Everything else is underwhelming and well beneath Platinum's standards.

Game #18 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - 8/1/15 ( 13 hours)

Now this game is actually terrific, as Sons of Liberty makes some clever additions to the MGS formula and refines some of the lesser qualities of that game. Purely room to room this is still Kojima's most challenging stealth game, and it was a blast to playthrough even if some of the bosses were meh, and that Emma stuff was boring as sin. Oh and I respect the clever ideas in the story, but I don't buy its bullshit.

Game #19 Entwined - 8/6/15 (1 hour)

Game sucks.

Game #20 The Unfinished Swan - 8/7/15 (2 hours)

Some decent mixing up of the core mechanics and what you are doing as far as "puzzle solving", but the plot is far too broad strokes to have any impact, and the gameplay is mostly a push over.

Game #21 Hohokum - 8/8/15 (4 hours)

I like the music and art, and some of the levels were kind of clever. But, overall the environmental puzzle solving comes down to tedious pixel hunting, and I wasn't invested with any narrative context to make me give a shit beyond the part that I had already started the game.

Game #22 Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence - 8/14/15 (16 hours)

The game is Kojima's masterpiece unless The Phantom Pain dethrones it. Is the writing still shit? Of course it is, but damn does the game absolutely nail its emotional gut punch at the end. The gameplay is absolutely terrific as Snake Eater actually had large stretches of uninterrupted gameplay. The areas are pocket sandboxes for you to really mess with the enemies and the tools at your disposal, and some of the boss fights are genuinely memorable. Subsistence makes going back to Snake Eater impossible for me though, so from hence forth it gets the Ninja Gaiden Black treatment.

header.jpg

Game #1: South Park the Stick of Truth - 1/8/15 (15 hours)
Kenny Chan Kawaii Purinsesuuuuuu. Absolutely amazing game, even if it's on the shorter end of things. Haven't watch South Park for several years, but this game delivered on the humor the series has had over the years. Difficulty was basically laughable even on hard, but who needs difficulty when you have ManBearPig, Overused Nazi Zombies, 8bit Canada, and a load of other references to the show?

header.jpg

Game #2: Binding of Isaac Rebirth - 1/9/15 (10 hours)
Liked it much better than the original with all the new powerups and enemies it added. Mainly used Azazel which basically trivialized many of the issues I had with difficulty in the original, maybe made things a little too easy. Definitely a game that will see more time put into it throughout the year when I don't have more I'm wanting to get into.

1406733381_header.jpg

Game #3 -Trails in the Sky FC - 1/14/15 (44 hours)
It took me a while to get back into this after starting it several months ago. It took a while to really get started and I had stopped pretty much right before it did. After the first chapter things start ramping up to the point where you can start feeling the swing of where it's going. Character development was definitely a highlight of the game with the brother/sister relationship of Joshua and Estelle where you could really tell they were growing throughout the game. The other characters took a while to really develop and for you to find out exactly who they were, but it kept you wondering just what part they would play by the end of each of they chapters. Took me about 28 hours or so to hit the twist, and when it did, it really changed the feel of the story. You knew people were being
manipulated
before then, but until this point, you really didn't see the scale of how bad it was. Other than a few slow burn moments in the final chapter, the story really held it's momentum in the end. By the time you beat the final boss, you know something big is going to happen considering the game has 2 more parts to it, but what happens really sets the tone far above the majority of the game. It slaps the shit out of you with the ending and dangles that cliffhanger right in your face, all the while laughing at you because the 2nd game won't even get an official translation for at least several more months.

Honestly glad it took me so long to get back into it, because even more months added onto the wait would be terrible. May even play through it again before then, depending on how long the wait is exactly.

250px-Mother_boxart.png

Game #4: Mother - 1/18/15 (8 hours)
I've had this game for years because I was a huge fan of the series and have gone through Earthbound and Mother 3 multiple times now, yet never played the 1st before now. This was honestly hard to play with how most nes games haven't aged very well. The story was very light and the size of the world was huge and it took forever to get anywhere, especially since it seemed beyond me when it came to opening the map, if there even was one. My opinion of it may have been different years ago, but I just found it really hard to get into compared to it's sequels. I will give it one thing though, several of the music tracks were memorable and having previous knowledge of game and it's lore beforehand, the final boss was actually kinda sad when you know that he's defeated by
love

images

Game #5: Valkyrie Profile 2 - 1/25/15 (25 hours)
My enjoyment of the gameplay over the story hasn't changed after all these years. This honestly has the definition of cliché story written all over it. That character that just joined you after you saw the enemy not that long ago? I wonder who they are. The twist 2/3rds of the way through the game? You see it from a mile away since the characters that are part of it, make it known almost as soon as you get them, that they have something more to them. People say Shion(in Xenosaga) is the worst main protagonist ever? They have not seen Alicia, the most secluded, "little girl" princess ever.

The best thing about the 1st game was that each of the side characters had their own story to them(even if it was short). That was all thrown away in this game in place of lifeless characters that have little more to them than the bio on their character page. I didn't attempt seraphic gate since this was more of a speedrun of the game, but my main file is right there on it, if I ever wanted to get into it again. Overall the music/zones/combat are all fairly amazing, just they all feel like they're part of a different game, when you compare them to how subpar the story and characters are.

header.jpg

Game #6: To the Moon - 1/26/15 (2.5 hours)
This is a game that I keep coming back to every few months or so now, since this was my 4th playthrough of it. Other than there being a little too much comedy between the 2 doctors, I can think of nothing wrong with this game. 2.5-3 hours and I get more out of this game than I do from 30+ hour adventures. Maybe it's because I share certain things with one of the characters in the game and I can see myself reflected in them, but the story has always pulled at me hard. It's one of the most basic looking games I have ever played, yet it makes up what it lacks visually, with feeling and lots of it.

header.jpg

Game #7: Ys: The Oath in Felghana - 2/2/15 (15 hours)
Screw inferno difficulty, I just do not have it in me to finish the run(11/15 bosses down). Decided I would just finish up my playthrough on a save I had for an easier difficulty instead. There wasn't a whole lot on easier difficulties that gave me too much trouble once I had a strat down, but inferno didn't really seem to be strat friendly. Some bosses would do their normal thing and wouldn't be much of an issue, while others had more of a random thing to them where if you misread a tell, you lose half your health, where as every other difficulty was far more forgiving. I would definitely consider this to be one of the hardest games I've played.

images

Game #8: Metroid Prime - 2/7/15 (9 hours)
This game feels like it hasn't aged much at all since my first playthrough on GC. The world is just amazing and I have yet to play a game that compares to how well they made everything fit in this. Took me longer than I thought it would to finish it, due to forgetting where 3 of the artifacts were and spending an hour running around looking for them before opening up youtube and getting them in less than 10mins. Ended up with 91% at the end since I would rather have my full clear file to be on hyper mode.

Game #15: Metroid Prime 2 - 3/16/15 (9.5 hours)
Never will I try to do a playthrough of this on hypermode. The game isn't exactly bad, but it's like the Mario 2 of the series where shit just got real. This is my 2nd time finishing it after stopping multiple previous playthroughs around the boost guardian. I seem to remember one shotting the emperor on my first clear, this time it took 10 attempts. Maybe I was just doing something wrong or maybe I just suck at it now, but that shit was rage inducing. Ended up with 92% at the end.

header.jpg

Game #9: Valkyria Chronicles - 2/8/15 (28 hours)
Playing this made me sad, knowing that we will likely never see the 2nd on pc or even the 3rd getting a Western release. Took me a while to really get into it and get the strategy rust off since it's been years since I've played anything like this. Kinda exploited the hell out of saving mid battle near the end, which made some of those missions really easy when I could just set a goal each turn and reset a turn if things didn't go well. Honestly thought the story wouldn't add much to itself since they made so much of it known at the start, but it started to get pretty good once it got past the first few chapters.

250px-Smetroidbox.jpg

Game #10: Super Metroid - 2/15/15 (4.5 hours)
This is like my tenth time going through this and it still hasn't lost much from when I went through it the first time. I may not think it's aged as well as Prime, but it's still one of the best Metroid games out there. Only thing I wish is that they would make use of Kraid again and make him more than just an easy first boss. Got 72% on this playthrough.

header.jpg

Game #11: Huniepop - 2/19/15 (9 hours)
Poppin them hunnies. This was a gift....that I asked for. For being a really basic Bejeweled, the puzzles honestly weren't all that bad. Only thing I thought they should have done differently was make there be more conversations between the girls and not just them talking to you.
Tiffany was the bes.

header.jpg

Game #12: Castle in the Darkness - 2/20/15 (9 hours)
This is the first game that I have bought thanks to watching a streamer play it, and it was worth the price. After playing through Super Metroid again, I wanted more, and this looked like a fairly nice Metroidvania with all it's references to oldschool gaming. Really think there should have been an easier difficulty though since some of the spike traps were kinda too much and took multiple deaths to get the jumps right. Finished with 91% and will likely go back at some point to 100% it.

header.jpg

Game #13:A Bird Story - 2/28/15 (1 hour)
Honestly not sure what to think of this. The music was amazing and it did a good job at trying to get the emotional impact across without using any words, just it really felt too short when it came to conveying it's full message. I do think that it set the tone for it's sequel amazingly well and I look forward to the day it comes out.

header.jpg

Game #14: Resident Evil 4 - 3/8/15 (5 hours)
Decided to blaze through this again since I unlocked the typewriter on my last playthrough and didn't mess around with it. My first time playing clearing this was only about 3 years ago on ps2, every other time has been just watching friends go through it or me stopping halfway. It's definitely not what I would consider to be a "horror" game other than the regenerators, but the action didn't feel like it detracted from the experience like it did in the sequels. I enjoy it for being an inbetween for horror and action, without being too over the top in either regard.

header.jpg

Game #16: Crimson Clover - 3/25/15 (4+ hours)
I really suck at these kind of games....so glad this had infinite continues or else I never would have finished it with any of the ships lol. Outside of the difficulty though, it was pretty good. All the ships play differently and take some getting used to, with that said type B seemed like it took more work than A and C, I died quite a bit more with B because I kept confusing the drones for the actual ship.... Will likely continue to play this throughout the year when I'm not into anything else.

MMX4-Title.gif

Game #17: Megaman X4 - 4/1/15 (7 hours)
First X game I ever beat and damn did that last boss take a while. Most of the bosses were a breeze once I got their weakness, only other one I had an issue with was the Colonel about halfway through the game which I kept derping on and eating his teleport attack. This goes down as having some of the worst voice acting I have ever heard, right next to Star Ocean 2. It's like one of those "so bad it's good" type of things.

MMX5Logo.png

Game #18: Megaman X5 - 4/2/15 (8 hours)
This one was quite a bit easier than 4....mainly because it has an easy mode. There wasn't a single boss that I had any issue with, until the black devil which I brick walled on hard, mainly due to not getting his pattern down. I ended up getting the extra armor sets which weren't much of an issue...except the railcar level. Holy shit at that railcar and trying to collect those orbs, that is some of the most rage inducing shit ever. "Oh you missed an orb and got all the others? Well fuck you, you spend another 30mins trying to get that last one and all the others again". Outside of that it was pretty good, much better without the voice acting.

header.jpg

Game #19: Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 - 4/23/15 (36 hours)
Got this game for the animu and was not disappointed. The combat was fast enough to where it took a while before it became stale. The story was about as cliché as possible, even though the references to everything gaming were nice. The maps were small enough to where it wasn't a chore going through literally the same copy/paste maps over and over again. Liked that you could change the difficulty and it wouldn't affect the xp/credits from fights, although I do wish they made that one a bit more obvious so you don't go through half the game before realizing you could make it easier without losing anything. I feel like they could have done a better job with the voice acting and not left half of the cutscenes without voices (yes I played it in English). Overall it's not "terrible" if you like something that is grind heavy, has anime ladies in it, and makes fun of the game/anime industry at every turn.

300px-Super_Mario_World_Box.png

Game #20 - Super Mario World - 4/23/15 (7 hours)
Even to this day I just don't feel this one as much as I do other games in the series. The levels aren't bad and it has some difficulty to it, I just have never been able to get attached to it even though it's one of the first games I played. I went through every level except the extra star road ones.

header.jpg

Game #21 - Nekopara Vol 1 - 4/28/15 (5.5 hours)
So...damn...kawaii. I wanted this for a while and was gifted it in the end. I honestly enjoyed it even though the story was basically as cliché as it could get. The character art was extremely well done, the music wasn't that bad, and it was just long enough to create some sort of attachment to the main girls in it. I do think the "all ages" tag for it is kind of funny though, considering the later chapters are anything but (they seem to have stopped the word censors about halfway through), whether the patch is used or not. I honestly kind of want to see the sequel they have coming now....
I also will not deny that the "press P for instant plot" was a good addition.

header.jpg

Game #22 - Ys 6 - The Ark of Napishtim - 5/2/15 (9.5 hours)
This was quite a bit shorter than I was expecting it to be, even without playing it on the hardest difficulty. The bosses and regular mobs started off challenging and it took some getting used to, but then came the 2nd sword and how laughably easy it made level grinding. If this had been like Oath/Origin where the harder areas were locked off until you progressed far enough, then it likely would have kept going with the difficulty. Instead you just go in a high level area with the fire sword and laugh as the xp bar flies. Outside of that it was pretty good, just wish you could leave the final area. The final boss was actually fairly challenging when it came to getting it's 1st phase down and being able to dodge lasers while still doing dmg. I finished this on Hard Catastrophe mode.

Earthbound.png

Game #23 - EarthBound/Mother 2 - 5/8/15 (16 hours)
This was the first game I ever beat by myself and likely one of the reasons why I like rpgs as much as I do. I have no idea how many times I have finished this over the years, just that I know that I continued to stop files over the last 6 years or so around Fourside. The game may not be perfect and it definitely has issues with difficulty at certain points, but at it's core it is one of the few that I can say it stands up to games even today as far as storytelling goes. This also has one of the saddest ending themes that I have ever heard.

capsule_467x181.jpg

Game #24 - Bejeweled 3 - 5/9/15 (10+ hours)
Good old Popcap, one of their last few good games before they sold out. Most of this time was spent in Zen mode with other music playing, it's actually pretty relaxing when you have no chance of losing it. Did a few of the other modes too and got bronze/silver in most of them.

latest

Game #25 - Breath of Fire 4 - 5/16/15 (25 hours)
This is one of 2 games in the series that I believe deserve a sequel. The main "villain" you end up fighting at the end doesn't even feel like a true bad guy when compared to Yuna, which he ends up getting away at the end and making it clear that he's not done causing trouble. The ending legitimately makes you mad knowing that you can't even kill the real antagonist. Outside of the cliffhanger ending, the rest of the game is done really well other than all the minigames which get annoying after the first few. It's really a shame that we will never get another non half assed entry to the series past 5.

final_fantasy_xiv__a_realm_reborn___steam_grid_by_superjoeuk-d6kp8dh.png

Game #26 - Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn - 5/17/15 (100+ hours)
Been playing this quite a bit since launch and have enjoyed it, even if it's a lot like WoW, which I have given up on for the time being. Been through all the content the game has to offer thus far (other than savage mode) and will continue with Heavensward. The music is incredible and while the story/characters may be hit or miss, the ending actually felt like it had some value to it and was worth the lead up to it.

ffleg3.jpg

Game #27 - Final Fantasy Legend 3/SaGa 3 - 5/22/15 (11 hours)
I enjoyed the hell out of this as a kid and it's been years since I went through it last. I remember Chaos being the brick wall that used to take me forever to get past...then I learned about elixers on this run so I wouldn't go into the fight with sub 200 mana on everyone. Elixers trivialized most bosses I used to have issues on at the end of long dungeons. My only real complaints were that xp gains seemed far too low at the end of the game and you had to actually equip armor to see if it was better or not.

Game #28 - Do You Remember My Lullaby - 5/25/15 (30mins)
No matter how short his games are, they always have plenty of thought put into them. This showed that even kids can be down right bastards at times. To see everything his mom did for him so that he could have his cake for his birthday and how even as poor as they were she was still able to do it, just to watch him forget all about his promise to be home and instead stay with his dads family, was really just sad. I know kids can be forgetful at times and even make you question your sanity, but holy shit at this kid.

logo.png

Game #29 - Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2 - 6/4/15 (38 hours)
All the moe animus. Honestly liked this one more than the first and fail to see how so many seem to be against it's translation. Liked how Nepgear was more toned down than Neptune was and it actually made her seem like a stronger character after the first chapter. Ended up getting the Conquest and True endings, which part of me liked Conquest a lot more because of the questions it brought up.

Game #30 - Trails in the Sky FC - 6/9/15 (27 hours)
Decided to do another playthrough before SC came out. Went through NG+ so it wouldn't take an extra 15 hours of killing mobs or talking to a lot of the npcs. Found out it wasn't a good idea to tab out in the middle of the last bosses ultimate since it proceeded to crash the game after spending 25mins getting back to where I was.

capsule_467x181.jpg

Game #31 - Limbo - 6/11/15 (2 hours)
Atmosphere the game. No story, no color, no words, just taking in the atmosphere. Some of the later puzzles took some trial and error, but for the most part it wasn't that bad. Wish the spider stayed with you longer though, honestly thought that was the best part.

etae

Game 1: Darl Souls II - 5 hours played
8ptugSL.jpg

I beat Dark Souls in 2014 after lots of failed attempts. Let's see how far I get with this one.

Game 1(?): Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne – 3 hours played
TRAh3en.jpg

This game intimidates me. Random battles everywhere + Long maze like dungeons + Enemies/Bosses that can instakill groups + a Skill system that requires a lot of forethought and planning. I have this game on the PS2 but tried it last night on the PC through pcxs2 and I am really liking it. The visuals still look great and the audio is so good especially with headphones on. Having the right analog stick do fuck all is really annoying though.

Game 2: Retro Game Challenge 2 (fan translated version of game center cx 2) – 2 hours played
vFT5221.gif

I bought the first one when it came out and loved it. Most of the games were simplistic/clones of well known titles. But it had interesting mechanics to keep it fresh. It had lot of love and nostalgia for gaming culture in the 80's and 90's. With fake systems, cartridges, manuals, and magazines. The second one looks to be more of the same but with even better quality games. I’m playing this on a PC DS emulator and fan translation is really well done as far as I've played (3rd game in).

MAYBE PILE

World of Warcraft - ???
My current character is level 70 hopefully I'll be able to get to level 90 before my time is up.

Radiant Historia - restarting
sVxQQyX.jpg

Got a decent way in but stopped playing. The characters and dialog was great. The combat while original got repetitive in some of the fights. It also has a very small budget RPG feel.

Divinity: Original Sin – 7 hours played
LN1qPqC.jpg

Kickstarted this game. Followed some of the Larian studios updates throughout the course of development. They seem like great and passionate bunch of people but that's easy to convey/edit that in video. Somewhat surprisingly it shined through in the game as well and was the top seller on the steam charts for ridiculously long time for a CRPG with 90's roots. Unfortunately I picked some terrible classes and combat is not fun at all. Story is mediocre as well. Not sure I'll reroll or soldier through.

Endless Legend
oYi521M.jpg

I own all the Endless games so far and getting this for free from IGN plus was icing.
I love the concept of 4x games. Once I get over the learning curve, I can spend quite a lot of enjoyable time with these games. My main problem is pushing myself to get over that learning curve. This one seems even more complex with each race playing radically different from one another. The setting/lore/graphics all look incredible so I really should give this one thorough play.

Fallout New Vegas – 10 hours played
91Vb7Yt.jpg

This fucking game. I had it originally on Xbox 360 put 20 hours into and got stuck in a bug. I've tried restarting several times to no avail. I cannot stand the original graphics/sound effects anymore. Thankfully these are moddable with the pc version. Unfortunately with mods it’s finicky and crashes at random. All of that being said Obsidian did a better job at conveying the Fallout universe than Bethesda.

LISA - 30 mins played
AxKSZWa.jpg

I kickstarted the game. The concept is awesome and the art and music as well. The gameplay is good but... It's got a lot of RPGmaker jankyness to it plus some of "quirks"/annoyances seemed to carry over from his first game (which I thought was terrible.) Still on the concept/story alone this deserves more support for doing something different.
I am a NPC in it. If you talk to a character that says "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU LIVING FOR?!" that's me haha.

Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut
V4Wazo2.jpg

Kickstarted Shadowrun returns at the +DLC level. I played through the first game and enjoyed it well enough. It was just okay overall but it was short enough that it didn’t feel repetitive. I held off on playing this one when I heard they were going to update it. It's gotten lots of praise so I'll probably give this one a playthrough.

Wolf Among Us - 2 hours played
5J1bjPB.jpg

Got through the first chapter when it first came out and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately lost interest by the time the second chapter came out. I will not buy any telltale game now until the whole game is released.

Wasteland 2 - 3 hours played
jx1ZG6N.jpg

I helped kickstart this. I love Fallout and Fallout 2. They are two of my favorite rpgs. This unfortunately is nowhere near those games so far in. I think it's the pacing. Right off, I'm getting rushed to these set pieces full of combat and chaos whereas with the first two Fallouts you were able to explore a small town, meet people, have dialog and do some small quests. I understand that in Wasteland 2 you are desert rangers that are there to help people usually through violent means. But maybe the first town should have been more dialog/small quests before getting pushed into hectic scenarios.

Fugu

Game #1: Legend of the Mystical Ninja
SNES, 1991
10 hours
5/5

Game #2: Tomb Raider
PC (and a whole lot of other shit), 1996
30 hours
3/5

Game #3: Super Mario 3D World
Wii U, 2013
10 hours
3/5

Game #4: Ninja Baseball Batman
Arcade, 1993
1.5 hours
1/5

Game #5: Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat
PC, 1995
15 hours (this is really a guess. I plowed through this game over the spawn of a week or so and it's a bit of a blur.)
5/5

Game #6: Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy
PC, 1995
8 Hours
2/5

Game #7: Sonic The Hedgehog
Sega Master System/Game Gear, 1991
2 hours (although several more spread across the last fifteen years)
3/5

Game #8: Sega Bass Fishing
Dreamcast, PC, Arcade, many others, 1998
6 Hours
2/5

Game #9: Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
Arcade, Playstation, Sega Saturn, PC, others, 1996
20 hours (probably closer to 50 over the years and platforms)
4/5

Game #10: Ganbare Goemon 2
Super Famicom, 1993
5 hours
3/5

Game #11: Kirby's Dream Land 2
Game Boy, 1995
5 hours
3/5

Game #12: Bayonetta 2
Wii U, 2014
15 Hours
5/5

Game # 13: Ganbare Goemon 3
Super Famicom, 1994
15 hours
2/5

Game #14: Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ
Arcade, 1999
??? Hours (a lot.)
3/5

Game #15: Super Bishi Bashi Champ
Arcade, 1998
5 Hours
3/5

Game #16: On the Ball
SNES, 1992
10 hours
4/5

Game #17: Darius Gaiden
Saturn, PSX, Arcade, 1995 (I played on the Saturn)
8 hours
4/5

Game #18: G-Darius
PSX, Arcade, 1997
20 hours
2/5

Wozzer

Original Post

I've finally kicked off 2015 with a good 3 day stint, just need to keep up the momentum!

#1: BattleBlock Theater - 9hours - Jan 8th 2015
kAEW6O0.jpg

The games core is its tight puzzle heavy platform gameplay, which has just the right learning curve and challenge to remain engaging even though the levels can become a little repetitive before long. The presentation throughout is the star of the show though, with fantastic narration in a unique over exaggerated witty humour that lends itself perfectly to the cartoon cardboard art style. 8/10

#2: World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck - 5hours - Jan 9th 2015
nMkwBA4.jpg

Officially the first game that my daughter has managed to complete from start to finish, in full control of the character (which had to be Mickey Mouse) through the co-op story. It's a fantastic platformer for its time with a lot of varied levels that span much of the Disney universe and pose a surprising challenge in parts. 8.5/10

#3: Mind: Path to Thalamus - 4hours - Jan 10th 2015
nzS43xV.jpg

The game starts on a high with bags of potential demonstrating it's technical capabilities with stunning level design but ultimately falls drastically short with very dull and repetitive puzzles and a lackluster story that had so much potential squandered. 5/10

batbeg

Game 1: Ys Oath in Felghana - 20 hours (Steam says 18, but I got the 20 hour playthrough achievement)

I played the first Ys on Steam last year and absolutely loved it. I wanted to start with OiF as so many speak so highly of it but didn't have a controller for my laptop at the time, and heard Ys I+II were easier to control with a keyboard. This game was a revelation in comparison, although it didn't diminish my rather high opinion of the first game either. Like the first one, it is lightning fast in the realm of RPGs, to the extent that it overwhelmed me quite often. I was dying so quickly that it took me probably a dozen hours just to get accustomed to it and start to grasp it, and it wasn't until the last dungeon I truly felt like I could effortlessly use my range of attacks.

I love the way the game eases you into levels and new concepts and then ramps them up wildly as you progress. Just as a cheap example in the last dungeon you'll fight a single bat enemy, then a moment later there's two of them grouped near a third, and then after that there's like seven at once. After this it starts throwing you diverse enemy groupings with different patterns of attack. The game is just balanced so well!

I'd never quite fell in love with the butt-rock of Ys I, but with my superior sound system (finally figured out how to connect my laptop to my TV yay) I truly fell in love with the music this time around.

The game was extremely hard for me. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I probably died fifty or sixty times. I'm not much for action games, but when they're this good I can't help myself. I'd like to play Ys II now that I've beaten this, though I might try to change to something a little slower paced as the action was a bit much for me sometimes. Ys II and Origin are definitely on my soon to play list though. I'm thinking of buying Trails in the Sky to enjoy more Falcom goodness but at a pace I'm more used to, though lengthy games might detract from my ability to beat 52 games this year, seeing as so many of the ones in my backlog are already lengthy RPGs ;.;

On that note I see TiTS is on sale on Steam, so it is bought and will probably be started tomorrow after work or Sunday.

Edit: Kudos to the poster above me, World of Illusion is one of my favorite co-op platformers ever! One of mine and my cousins favorite games of all time.

Cilla

images

Game 2: Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day 10/01/15
Hated it. Would not play again.. Would not suggest to anyone.

naruto-shippuden-ultimate-ninja-storm-revolution-logo.png

Game 1: Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution 8/01/15
Really enjoyed it as I knew I would. Mecha-Naruto was a bit.. interesting?

OP

jiggles

Banned
Original Post

Game 3: Super Mario 3D World
39djbd.png

I had this since Christmas 2013, but I shelved it at World 5 for whatever reason, so that's where I picked up from a couple of days ago. Isometric platforming is inherently imprecise, and limiting Mario's directional movement is a decision I'm still trying to understand, but this is nonetheless a wonderful package. The presentation is flawless, the game is brimming with ideas, and playing through it made me wonder why so few studios put this much effort in. I didn't finish everything, though. Left a few stars and stamps here and there, and didn't touch the bonus world. For now, I've had my fill of this cake. I'm content, and I'll save the last slice for some other time. Cat suit is OP as fuck, though.
If you liked Super Mario World or Super Mario 3D Land you will like this

OP

Game two technically completed.

Game 2 - The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (Golden God/All Challenges/Final Boss) (PS4)
I didn't list this is in my backlog because I had no idea what counted as completion, but I think what I've done is sufficient to count as completed, even though I am aiming for Real Platinum God. Easily my game of the year 2014 (I haven't played Bayonetta 2 or Smash Bros yet leave me alone) and I will still be playing throughout the year.

OP

Update 2: 4. Hotline Miami (PC) - I don't really play on PC that much, nor do I have a controller for it, so I had to use the pretty uncomfortable WASD mouse combo for this. But then again, I can't imagine proper aiming with a stick either, since this title is so fast paced. Too bad, the actual game is obviously good though. But we all know that anyway. That soundtrack.

5. Rayman Jungle Run (Android) - This was the first phone game I've bought. I guess they did all they could do with a runner and it was fun enough unlocking all stages, but this also doesn't exactly convince me that phones are a great gaming platform.

Main post

Game 2: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4) - 28h26m
som_logo_zps4fe79875.png

100% completed and fully leveled up Talion.

I really had a great time with this game. It's an incredibly well-made open-world game that is constantly fun to play, with tight gameplay mechanics and a dynamic world that is rewarding to engage with.

Dr. Buni

Original Post

Game #6: Shin Megami Tensei IV

ByENiqI.png

The first long game I started and finished this year. Bought it a few days ago and finished it one hour ago, with 31 hours clocked. Took the Chaos path and while I loved the story of the game, the Chaos path specifically... was underwhelming. I will take a break from the game and then replay it for the Neutral route (Law isn't my thing). By the way, do multiple playthroughs count in the thread? I ask because SMT games differ considerably according to the path you choose.

Anyways, what an incredible game! I thought I would feel underwhelmed, because Nocturne is far too good, but I was so wrong. The game is perhaps not as impressive as Nocturne, but it still up there with the best games of the genre, IMO. It brings quite a few welcomed upgrades to the core SMT mechanics, as well as a more fleshed story. I loved the new demon designs (except for Lucifer and Medusa's, which are ugly as hell). Lastly, I love the soundtrack! It is SO good.

I think I love this game.

Original Post

K0noRQH.jpg

Game 5: Super Mario 3D World -
Started :12/27/14
Finished :1/10/15

This is the last of the three big WiiU games I decided to play first on my WiiU. Super Mario 3D World is a great game. The presentation is spectacular. It's a pretty game with solid enemy and character design. Even better than these are the level design. Whether they be larger and more open for the player to roam in, or strictly linear and a bit smaller, the level design in Super Mario 3D World never falters.
Besides the stupid level with the cube that flips through the lava.
In terms of story there's nothing there, but that's to be expected really. The music underwhelmed me honestly, but there are a few standout tracks which are really great. The game does almost everything very well, but my main problem with the game was just how easy it was. Very rarely did I feel challenged and generally the boss battles were very weak in terms of difficulty and design, but that's largely attributed to the developers trying to reach a larger audience. I haven't played the game in co-op, so I won't be able to speak on that just yet, but I can imagine that it's a blast to play with four players. Super Mario 3D World is a great game, but I don't think it's the masterpiece that a lot of people say it is, and it is certainly not better than Galaxy or Galaxy 2. I also really look forward to playing the bonus worlds after I take a break from the game for a while.

Hours Played : 9

Overall Score : 8.5

"Play it. No exceptions."

jnWake

Main Post

Game #3. Mega Man 5 (NES VC)
- Time played: 04:31 hours.
- Completion reached: Beat the game! Collected all the MEGA MAN V letters too.

Ah, classic Mega Man. You jump, you shoot, you beat robots and you take their powers. Like all the other NES Mega Man games, controls are smooth and precise, stages are challenging and bosses are fun. I played Mega Man 1 to 4 last year so I thought I'd have a hard time here getting used to the gameplay but I didn't. I'd say 5 is by far the easier one of the Mega Man games I've played. It can still get on your nerves a few times though!

Any Mega Man fan should play this game and it could also work as an introduction for newer players since it's mostly easy. Completely recommended!

Greymanic

Neo Member
Original Post

GAME #1
: Monument Valley & Forgotten Shores DLC (iOS) - 2 Hours 17 Minutes (Jan 7th - Jan 10th)

Monument_Title_Small.png

This wasn't what I expected my first completed game of 2015 to be but I have to say, I enjoyed every moment I played. Monument Valley and its DLC, are both such a charming and delightful experiences. It wasn't a game I found challenging, but each level had me both thinking, and in awe of the beautiful world created by developer ustwo. It was quite relaxing to play, which was good because I purchased it after wanting to enjoy something during a stressful week of work. After reading this topic in particular, I finally bought it and I would suggest others do the same!

Hikami

6667b2ae6e.png

Game 5: 100% Orange Juice
Playtime: 2:18
Started: Jan 9th, 2015
Completed: Jan 10th, 2015
// Been eyeing this one for a while on steam and saw it was on sale for this weekend. Bought the 4-pack for some friends and I. We had fun in multiplayer for a while.. The solo campaign is frustrating as hell though. I attempted it over 10 times on the easiest character, on the easiest difficulty. Did not win a single time since the game is pretty much luck based. Just ended up praying to RNjesus the whole time. Probably won't even try the campaign again so I'm labeling it as completed and just sticking to multiplayer.
--
Main post

Def Jukie

Original Post

Game 1: Final Fantasy Tactics (Playstation) - 46 Hours 1/1/15-1/10/15

fft_logo.png

I played this game when it came out extensively but couldn't remember if I had finished it or not. I started a new game on New Year's Day and immediately remembered how much I loved it. It is just as good as I remember it being. I feel like the graphics held up quite well with great sprite work and the music is excellent. Most importantly, I think the gameplay totally holds up. I had a great time experimenting with all the different job classes and trying out different abilities. My final game clock was around 44 hours but I think I spent more time if you count deaths on some battles. I managed to unlock Cloud and the other characters leading up to him but if I remember correctly there is an optional dungeon that I must have missed. Oh well. The localization is definitely not great but it wasn't as tough to follow as I expected. I didn't recognize the final set of battles at all so I don't think I finished this when I originally owned the game so I am happy to have completed it properly, fantastic experience overall.

Currently playing: Suikoden (Playstation) - 1/10/15

jnWake

Main Post

Game #4. Mega Man 6 (NES VC)
- Time played: 03:47 hours.
- Completion reached: Beat the game! Collected the optional items.

More Mega Man... Last Mega Man game on the NES. Difficulty wise it's pretty similar to Mega Man 5, but I felt that the Robot Master stages (and battles) were harder. However, the Castle stages and battles were very easy. Last Wily battle was tough though.

One of the cool things this game adds are the Adapters, that replace Rush. Jet Adapter is a lot better than Rush Jet IMO, since it's less broken and more control-able. I really enjoyed using it, even if it made the game easier (it was the last upgrade I got though, so I couldn't abuse it in the normal stages much!).

Like Mega Man 5, if you like Mega Man games, then this is recommended!

EDIT: Almost forgot, Knight Man and Yamato Man for best Robot Masters!

Midn1ght

Ok let's do this, I'm probably not gonna reach the 52 mark but why not keeping track of my progress this way :

Game #1 : Driveclub
lgSM8wQ.jpg

Rating: 8.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Evolution Studios
First experience on PS4 and what a great game to start. I'm usually not a big fan of arcade racer but this one is a lot of fun. The game has gorgeous visuals, an incredible sense of speed and at time can be really challenging. The handling can be tricky sometimes especially with Hyper Cars but I don't count that as a bad point, the game forces you to get better and gives you a great feeling of victory when you win difficult races. Great Game !

Game #2 : The Last of Us - Remastered
cVABgDu.jpg

Rating: 10/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Naughty Dog
Nothing much to say that hasn't been said already about this game. A masterpiece remastered with better visuals at 60 fps and the "Left Behind" DLC as a bonus. Finished the game on Survivor mode this time around and it was a fantastic experience, way better and way more intense than on normal. Fantastic remaster of one of the best game of the last generation !

Game #3 : The Swapper
kkagSBT.jpg

Rating: 7/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Facepalm Games, Curve Studios
Good short game, the gameplay mechanic is great and gives you really enjoyable puzzles to solve. The story is intriguing and the atmosphere and music are absolutely fantastic. You really have a feeling of isolation and just want to get out of there. I struggled in a few rooms but man it felt good when I finally found the solution.

Game #4 : P.T.
ztNKC4z.jpg

Rating: 9/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: 7780s Studio
I'm usually not a big fan of horror and scary games, not because I don't like the category but because usually it's not working with me. I can't look back in the past and think of a game that truly scared me or made me jump several times. But this game...man ! The atmosphere, the sounds, the lights, this corridor. Incredible and terrifying experience.

Game #5 : Dying Light
Bwsdojf.jpg

Rating: 8/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Techland
Dead Island was one of my favorite game last generation so this one was one of my most anticipated game this year. Techland did a great job here, the parkour is brilliant and going from place to place is just a lot of fun. The story is garbage but so was the story in dead island, I'm not playing those game for the story but to bash zombies in a hundred different ways and have a lot of fun. Your first few nights in Harran are just terrifying. I also really enjoyed the effort made by techland on small details. Great fun !

Game #6 : Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'n' Tasty!
OtcvX3o.jpg

Rating: 7.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Just Add Water
Finally, 18 years later, I can go through and fully appreciate this game for what it is, a brilliant platformer. I remember playing this on the original Playstation, I was only 12 at that time and gave up on the very first section of the game. The quicksave option helped a lot here and Just Add Water did a fantastic job remastering this gem with beautiful graphics while keeping the soul of the original game. Give me Abe's Exoddus now !

Game #7 : Transistor
wmx2txd.jpg

Rating: 6.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Supergiant Games
First time I really go through an Action-RPG game as this is definitely not my favorite genre of games but this one has really good things going for itself. First, the music is fantastic, great soundtrack. Then the Art style, beautiful, colorful, really enjoying to look at. For the rest, I guess it was ok, the game is short but that was just enough for me. Cool experience, I will probably give more chance to this kind of game in the future.

Game #8 : Never Alone
o4oVhB2.jpg

Rating: 6.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Upper One Games
Good little game with really nice art and spirit. The game is both beautiful and educating at the same time with a lot of small documentary videos to watch if you want to. The gameplay is a bit clunky now and then and very short with no re-playability value but was ok to play between two bigger games.

Game #9 : The Last of Us : Left Behind
Ocx4ntn.jpg

Rating: 6.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Naughty Dog
I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed by Left Behind, not for its quality but because it was very short and with very little actual gameplay. It's not bad at all of course and it was cool to know more about Ellie's past and to understand how she saved Joel. I just wish there was more.

Game #10 : Infamous : Second Son
LHiLxxk.jpg

Rating: 7.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Sucker Punch
Really enjoyed Infamous, the game looks gorgeous and becomes more and more fun as you acquire more powers. The story was ok and altho I didn't really care for Delsin at first, I ended the game really liking him. Only bad point for me was the city, beautiful but I felt it was lifeless sometimes and without this little something that makes me want to go back like Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs or San Andreas in GTA V. Overall it was a very good looking and cool game to play.

Game #11 : Limbo
LlqUZd0.jpg

Rating: 10/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Playdead
One of my favorite of all time, I played this game a lot on PC a few years ago so I had to buy it on PS4 and finish it again. I just love everything in this game, the art, the subtle music, the puzzles, etc...A platforming masterpiece for me. I just can't wait to get my hands on Playdead's next game "Inside".

Game #12 : Valiant Hearts : The Great War
aEgagT4.jpg

Rating: 8/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Ubisoft Montpellier
Absolutely magnificent game. The art is gorgeous, the music is beautiful and I didn't get bored with the story or the gameplay for one second. Brilliant work by Ubisoft Montpellier here, probably my biggest surprise this year, hope we'll get an other episode, maybe about WWII.

Game #13: Race the Sun
rOQQBXV.jpg

Rating: 8/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Flippfly
So, like Super Meat Boy for example, this is the kind of game that makes me want to trow my controller at the screen after 5 minutes but also the kind I can't stop playing for hours. It's a simple concept but it's really effective, addictive...and hard. I love it....but I hate it too.

Game #14: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition
K34eFSI.jpg

Rating: 9/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: United Front, Square Enix
One of my favorite game of all time and definitely my favorite open world game of all time. I just love everything in this game, playing in Hong Kong is great, the music is excellent, the story is actually very good and, the best part, the combat is fantastic. I realize the game has flows and the framerate on PS4 is not that great but this game just has many things I really like in gaming and real life.

Game #15: Fallout Shelter
hHvtkRi.jpg

Rating: 7/10 - Platform: Mobile - Developer: Bethesda
I think this is only the 2nd mobile game I really get into after the inevitable Angry Bird a few years ago and I'm really enjoying it. This game is addictive, fun and I didn't get bored even after playing many hours with it. The progress is slow sometimes, at least for me, but you can't help it and play it over and over to grow your dweller population, get more rooms and increase the size of your shelter. Cool game !

Game #16: Killzone Shadow Fall
Yn4U2Ql.jpg

Rating: 7/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Guerrilla Games
I really enjoyed Killzone Shadow Fall, the game is inconsistent in its difficulty and the story is not the best of course but many others aspects of the game just clicked with me. It looks gorgeous, probably one of the most beautiful game I have ever play and the atmosphere and sound of some chapter are just fantastic with a very special mention for chapter 5. Good Surprise.

Game #17: Rocket League
XOUp1Uc.jpg

Rating: 8.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Psyonix
So Much Fun ! Probably one of my favorite online multiplayer game of all times and a good contender for my game of the year 2015. The concept is fantastic and matches get crazier and crazier as you learn the skills and level up with other players. The kind of game you start telling yourself "only a couple games" and end up playing for 2, 3 or 4 hours.

Game #18: Outlast
75v1tjq.png

Rating: 7/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Red Barrels Studio
I enjoyed Outlast and had my fair share of scary moments with it but I found the gameplay boring after a few hours and using the camera to walk in the dark a little bit annoying. I also enjoyed the 2 last locations of the game more than all the others. Great atmosphere tho and some brilliant music during key moments. Not bad overall.

Game #19: UFC
QRYx9eY.jpg

Rating: 5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: EA Canada, SkyBox Labs
The graphics and the effort are alright. The game was ok for a short period of time but I got bored with it very quickly. I also found the ground game and submissions gameplay overly complicated and not fun at all. Career mode with training between fights is super repetitive. Meh...

Game #20: Thomas Was Alone
2BNBtqE.png

Rating: 7/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Mike Bithell, Curve Digital
Already played it PC a while back but grabbed it on PS4 for 2€. The concept is simple but effective and the music is absolutely brilliant. There's also more than just little blocks moving around, there's a nice story to it and it's quite an achievement in my opinion to give so much personality to such simple entities. Good work !

Game #21: Hotline Miami
YAslhdp.png

Rating: 9/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Dennaton Games, Abstraction Games
I Played that game for almost 30 hours on PC so I couldn't pass on when I saw it on sale on PSN, I just love this game. The gameplay is so fast, so intuitive, the music is amazing and the story pure madness. Genius old school style video game !

Game #22: The Walking Dead : Season 1
mHtvc6h.png

Rating: 9.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Telltale
Already played it on PC but since it was on sale on psn and the season 2 was free with PS+, I though I could give it an other go and enjoy once again how brilliant this game is. it was less intense this time around as I knew about the story but man this game is so good playing with your emotions and your morale. It just makes you wonder over and over if you took the right decisions and has some of the most likable characters I had the chance to play with. Fantastic experience !

Game #23: The Walking Dead : Season 2
inj7Gws.png

Rating: 9.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Telltale
I don't really know why some people didn't like this season although maybe it was for being sometimes slower than the previous one. But my god, the pace and the story just build what is, in my opinion, one of the best ending I have ever experienced in any video game. I was genuinely confuse as to what to do at the end and took a good 5 minutes before finally deciding. My choice lead me to shed some tears during the last scene. Absolutely brilliant work and I can't wait for season 3 !

Game #24: Wolfenstein : The New Order
cClF3Iu.jpg

Rating: 8/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: MachineGames, Bethesda
I enjoyed Wolfenstein but not as much as I though I would. I think it's because I personally enjoy FPS with keyboard and mouse more than with a controller. I'll give it an other go on PC when I'll build a computer again. The game is good and fun, no question about it and it runs well on PS4 so at the end it deserve all the praise it received.

Game #25: Metro 2033 Redux
iQvkWbV.jpg

Rating: 9/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: 4A Games
Replaying this on PS4 just sealed my opinion about this game: Metro 2033 is, in my opinion, one of the best single-player FPS game of all time. It's scary but not "Outlast" kind of scary, it's dark, dangerous, desolated. With The Last of us, this might be one of the best representation of what a post apocalyptic world could feel and look like. Fantastic game !

Game #26: Metro Last Light Redux
a9ESPI0.jpg

Rating: 8.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: 4A Games
Fantastic game, I gave it half a point less than 2033 for being maybe a little too "Hollywood-like" at time but overall, it was a great follow up of Artyom's story through the desolation of post apocalyptic Moscow's metro. I also can't praise enough the work that has been done by the developer, both game look fantastic while keeping a near constant 60fps.

Game #27: Surgeon Simulator
1LsBNJg.jpg

Rating: 6.5/10 - Platform: PS4 - Developer: Bossa Studios
I'll admit that although the controls of this game almost drove me crazy, sticking scalpels into Bob's eyes and removing his rib cage with a hammer was great fun. I keep playing it only to finally practice a surgery of an Alien. Video Games <3

Conclusion :
And that will be it for me in 2015, didn't manage to finish the challenge but I had a great gaming time this year and managed to finish and enjoy many games. I'll try my best next year but I'm planing on kicking 2016 by starting The Witcher 3 which might eat a lot of my gaming time. Congratulation to everyone who completed the challenge or just enjoyed participating like me. See you all next year !

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Still haven't decided on a format but this is my first stab at it. First couple of weeks down this year and a few games cleared.

GAME #1: Dragon Age Inquisition (2014)
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733; ; Platform: PS4 ; Developer: Bioware
Review: There are so many nits to pick with Inquisition as a game. It's a disjointed mess of missed oppertunities. It kept my interest up until the third act where the game loses all sense of urgency and gets lost in boring side quests and forgets about the main threat. I did finish it, but unlike previous Dragon Age games it'll be a while until I return to the world of Thedas.

GAME #2: The Yawhg (2013)
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; ; Platform: PC ; Developer: Damian Sommer, Emily Carroll
Review: Everything I want out of a game. There's so much to explore and no perfect way to play the game. No matter how you plan there's always something new around the corner. Great writing and the plot never loses out due to good pacing. Kept me addicted for two days straight where I explored every single plot line and tried to get various outcomes.

GAME 3: Mountain (2014)
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733; ; Platform: PC ; Developer: David O'Reilly
Review: Kept me company during writing of an essay. A plane crashed into my mountain and I found a bazooka just lying about not bothering anyone. It's an interesting "game" if you can call it that. Will likely keep me company on my desktop more times. Because that's what it is. A pet rock.

McBryBry

header.jpg

GAME #1 - South Park: The Stick of Truth
Rating:&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - Platform: PC - Beaten: January 7th (started in 2014) - Time: 8.6 Hours
Fantastic game! Funny as all hell with solid gameplay. The game never skips a beat with its humor, and if you're a fan of the show its a DEFINITE must play.

header.jpg

GAME 2 - Shovel Knight
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - Platform: PC - Beaten: January 9th - Time: 8.8 Hours
Also very good. Would be my game of 2014 so far if I hadn't played South Park. I'm younger, 19. So I haven't really played the classics that this shoots back to like Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, etc. But I loved it and it definitely makes me wanna go and try those hard platformers from then.

header.jpg

GAME 3 - Wolfenstein: The New Order
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - Platform: PS4 - Beaten: January 10th (started in 2014) - Time: N/A
When I first ordered this, my friend had played through a significant part of it and bashed it many, many times, so I wasn't sure what to think. He complained that it was too hard, that picking up things was annoying, and that it did nothing new. I now disagree with all of those. ESPECIALLY the doing nothing new. The setting is a very unique one that lends itself to unique enemies. I loved the characters and the story on top of the gameplay as well. As stated, I'm 19 and haven't played many classics. The only Wolfenstein memory I have is watching my uncle play 3D when I was younger. Now? I wanna know more about Blazko and his adventures. Honestly? The more I think about it, this might be my current game of 2014 instead of South Park.

Haven't completed that many games in a year since 2006 but. Now with a massive steam backlog and new pc it's time to try.

WOLFENSTEIN: The New Order (PC)
Don't see why the game gets praised so much at GAF, fairly hard on normal but then I was just rushing into things most of the time, story was good along with the gameplay but it didn't click with me for some reason.

The Evil Within (PC) 14th Jan
This game reminds me so much of Mikami's classic RE4, it pretty much takes all the good parts from RE4 into a new IP that is more survival horror than action horror.
The story however is rather convoluted, but is an easy explanation for all the supernatural happenings. Thankfully I didn't encounter any of the performance issues that came about when it was originally released. I played on normal difficulty which at times was quite hard with running out of ammo and OHKO bosses but that just adds to the tension of the game.
Not sure if it beats RE4 but definitely stands out on its own.

LA Noire Complete (PC) 18th Jan
Really loved this game, great atmosphere working your way up through the different roles and solving all the cases. Wasn't expecting the twist near the end though and it was rather annoying that you know none of the suspects are the killer but you have to charge one anyway.

Velocity 2X (Vita PS+) 21st Jan
Nice little shooter/2d game, though without PS Plus I never would have touched it.

Marlow Briggs (PC) 24th Jan
What can I say for 69 pence? nice little gears of war clone, though the orb challenges really did spoil it.

February
Touch My Katamari (Vita PS+) 1st Feb
My first Katamari game and somewhat disappointing. The levels were fun at first play but once I completed all of them I could not see any point in playing them again.

Yuterald

Game 5: Faxanadu - 10 hours - NES/Wii VC

Finally sat down with this game having had it downloaded for years on my Wii's VC. Took me three sittings to complete the game, no guide needed. One of my new favorite NES titles. I may still make a LTTP thread about the game because I liked it so much.

Original Post

Better late than never, just completed both Killzone 2 & 3.
Killzone2_Box_Art.jpg
Killzone_3.jpg

Completed: 6 hours @ 1/3/15 (Killzone 2), 6 hours @ 1/4/15 (Killzone 3)
Thoughts:
I really wanted to get into the Killzone franchise, but like the Uncharted series, I have to get through the mediocre first game to get to the good stuff. Unlike Uncharted 1 though, Killzone 1 was actually tolerable. I completed the first game around Christmas, so I had New Year's to really get into Killzone 2. And what a jump it was. First thing to come in mind, DAT GRAPHICS. The lighting and smoke effects in particular is what really impressed me. And the motion blur as well. I enjoyed the campaign (aside from that sudden spike in the difficulty at the last mission), it had that Black Hawk Down vibe of fighting in the city against local forces and once I got used to the gunplay, I prefer it to say Call of Duty. The second to last mission
where you storm Visari's Palace
was fucking amazing. Things I didn't like:
-Can only have one primary weapon at a time. Ugh.
-Rico who basically ruins everything.
On to Killzone 3, basically it's Killzone 2 with a new campaign and more set pieces. I like how they're trying to redeem Rico even if it's at the expense of Narville. It also fixed my gun issue with Killzone 2 (though they changed the controls). I really wished they expanded on the lore. It's what made Halo so good. Despite the games really trying to paint the Helghast as the bad guys, they is that sort of grey morality going on between Earth/ISA/Helghan which I only got from reading the wiki. And I wished we see more characters from previous games like the assassin chick or the half-Helghast spy from Killzone 1.

Ongoing Games:
Fate/Extra - New Game+ Archer/Rin route
Freedom Wars - Storyline only
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - Storyline Co-op only

Kifimbo

Game 3: Castle of Illusion (PC) - 3 hours
header.jpg

Good remake of an old classic. Platforming is simple but solid, new visuals are nothing special but they aren't offensive either. Good music, decent voice acting. However, too easy and too short. Not worth full price (15$) even if you're a Disney fan, but for 4$ it was worth it. Didn't have any performance issue, except one crash.

Original post

Zoracka

AHxSOi2.png

Steam Link

Note: I didn't play the multiplayer part of this game nor do I intend to. This review is strictly based on the single player campaign.

#2 - Binary Domain (8-9 hours, PC)
I went into this game knowing absolutely nothing about it - nothing. I thought it would your typically, mediocre first person shooter with a generic story and characters. I expected ths game to bore me and generally be a pain to play through. I don't even remember where or when I got this game, but it was probably through a bundle at Humble Bundle.I'm glad to say, that this game delivers mostly on all fronts: graphics, gameplay and story.

The story takes place in the far future, where robots has become a normal part of society because a large part of the human race has died due to flooding. There are two big players in creation of robots: Bergen which is localized in America and Amada from Japan. One day a robot attacks the Bergen's headquaters - but this was not your typical robot: it looked like a human, it behaved like a human and it even thought it was human. Bergen thinks the culprit is the Japanese Amada and thus our story starts. We follow and control the American soldier, Dan, who's going to Japan and bring back the leader of Amada. Throughout the game, new soldiers from different parts of the world join Dan's squad to complete the mission.

The story is decent, but what really makes this game is the characters and how they interact. Some of the characters are super cliché, but it still works because they are well written - good mix between serious attitude and humor. The interaction between the main character and squad members are also a huge part of this game's gameplay mechanics. Some of your actions (How well you perform, team shooting, etc.) has an impact on how an character relates to you and how much s/he is willing to follow your orders. They also talk to you and depending on your response, they will also start trust you more or less. Personally I thought this system could be alot more than it was and it was mostly just in the way. Sometimes you accidentally shot your team members because they run in front of you and thus you lose some trust with them. Your response options are always very vague (like "Yeah", "You idiot", "Damn") and I don't think it's always obvious what each option does and they don't always feel natural. I usually just pressed "Yeah" as it always game me goodwill with my squad and because there are literally no downside by gaining trust compared to not having any. This is very obviously a big part of the game, but it's inplementation is just not functional enough and in the end, it could be avoided all together and it wouldn't really change alot. That said, one thing I really liked about the voice acting is something I don't think we see to often in games ufortunately: A character speaks his/hers native tongue or have an accent! For example, a character from England clearly speaks British and Japanese people speaks Japanese or English with a Japanese accent. This is very awesome and huge props to voice actors who did an excellent job with this game. There are however some nationalities that are a bit overacted, but that's a minor problem and is just a laughing matter at most. My biggest complain with the dialoge is that there are not enough. If you are about to die and your squad member wants to help you, s/he will always say the same. Always. It's a bit infuriating when you've heard "Don't be reckless" for the 100th of time, but I suppose I could just play it better. In regards to your squad members, their AI is sometimes outragously stupid. I've already said that they sometimes run in front of you when you firing at the enemy and sometimes they just run around in circles. Sometimes they request you to move forward, while you are already in front of them, and then for some reason dislikes you because you're not moving forward. It doesn't really always make any sense. The dialoge options are also where I sometimes feel the game falls apart. You're able to change your relationship with your squad members individually, but the story wants certain things to happen to certain characters and thus making Dan (You) act towards a member very hostile, even though you are full on the trust meter and you might personally agree with him/her. Shortly after, the character you just insulted is cheering at your performance, calling you a good shot. It's very weird and immersive shattering. It's weird to be able to dictate how you act towards a character while the game decides to against your previous options and do something you might not agree with.

I don't have much experience with third person shooters, but I felt this game had very solid shooting and cover mechanics. You're forced to always have Dan's main assault rifle, a side arm, a grenade slot and a weapon of your choice. Dan's rifle has a pulse blast that can be quite effective and is sometimes uesd to clear a path form obstacles. The amount of times these obstacles are met in the game can be counted on one hand and when they occur, the pulse blast can always be recharged a short distance back. It feels like their only purpose is to give Dan a reason to have a pulse blast. On normal (or the mid-difficulty), ammo was never a problem which made the sidearm redundant besides also being very ineffective. There are not that much variety in weapons you can pick up as your third weapon, and with Dan's assault rifle being the best weapon the game, there was almost no reason to change (other than to snipers or RPG). Furthermore, each character has stas (fire power, fire rate, accuracy, etc.) that can be leveled up throughout the game and each character can be equipped with nanomachines that give different boosts (more health, defense, etc.), I leveled Dan up to the max and I never really felt it made any difference nor could I feel any difference in how well the AI shot when I improved their accuracy. The only usuable upgrades are the ones that allows you to carry extra grenades or medkits.. But what the game lacks in weapon variety, it has in enemy design (kind of?). Yes, most of the enemies you kill are the same robots in different color, but the way the break when you shoot them is pretty cool.

I had no major problems with the port. The game ran smooth with no hiccups. The options menu must be accessed before you start up the game which is annoying; please just incorporate the option menu into the game! I like that I can rebind my actions, but please do not bind more actions to one key automatically.

I really liked this game but it's not without its problems. Systems that are not fully utilized stops an otherwise good game from being great. Some of the characters are cliché, but still well written and their interaction with other squad members are quite fun. It has alot of charm that I don't think you see in too many games, which is what takes this game above mediocracy. While the game is far from perfect, I'd still call this a hidden gem. It was a thoroughly ejoyable game and definitely recommended.

Original Post.

Spyware

One of my goals for the year is nuzlocking all my Pokémon games. I finally made it through the first one! :D

qeSFgKa.jpg

01-11-15 - Game 7: Pokémon FireRed - 65 hours
Basic nuzlocke rules:
  • If a Pokémon faints for any reason it is "dead" and must be permanently boxed immediately.
  • Only the first Pokémon encountered in an area can be caught.
Teamlocke variant:
  • Switching team members is forbidden. Pokémon must stay on the team until they die.
I had two deaths very early but after that my team made it through the whole game. The winning team was Charizard, Raichu, Nidoqueen, Hypno, Primeape and Beedrill :D
Happy to be done with it since I quickly realised how boring I think Kanto is. Mostly the same Pokémon on every single route and lots of odd level gaps and jumps. I do love the original 151 mons but seeing Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow and Oddish everywhere gets old really fast.

Purdy

Started 01/01/2015

1. Ocarina of Time on 3DS
1qF7lfh.jpg

Completion Time ~ 16 hours
Finally got around to playing this, think it is my fourth or fifth Zelda game completed. Can see why this game gets the praise, some awesome dungeons (had to use guide on water temple :( ), interesting boss fights, albeit a tad easy, sensational soundtrack. Not my personal favourite Zelda game but can see why many hold it as their GOAT and 17 years ago it would've been outrageously good for its time.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

2. Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS
oJ3HH1n.jpg

Completion Time ~ 15 hours
First Fire Emblem I've bothered with since the GBA one strangely as it was one of my favourites games on that console. I played through it easy mode, I didn't even recall the perma death in the GBA one, just Eliwood, Hector and Lin and thats about it. Fantastic game, great pacing, decent story, awesome gameplay. Did become very easy towards the end as my character (spellcaster) became incredibly OP and I just teamed Chrom with her and walked through the entire levels comfortably.

3. Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call 3DS
XIc0tqU.jpg

Completion Time ~13 hours
After playing through Hatsune Miku last year on my Vita thought I'd give this a go, the first Final Fantasy (albeit not from the JRPG series) I've actually completed, songs weren't really ones I knew bar a bit of X/XIII/XIV but still incredibly enjoyable and well done, I hadn't touched the quest mode for some reason,I just decided to play through every song the standard way and all of a sudden I was doing a final song and credits rolled, plan to go back to the quest mode and try it out, I only did one. Love the choice between touch and button controls, both are awesome. Also the art design is great.

4. Luigi's Mansion 2 3DS
BrOqTwU.jpg

Completion Time ~ 12 hours
Very enjoyable game. Some parts of it were slightly infuriating, such as depth perception seemed way off and angling yourself for some suction stuff or flashlight, but such a well designed game, sound track, Luigi's humming along to it, level design, particularly the last mansion with the varying climates or timelines. The gameplay was also pretty good, very enjoyable bosses although felt some ghosts were overused and annoying. I did find some of it a drag at times and maybe I wasn't particularly good at it and the controls/depth perception did piss me off enough to put it down for a bit at times. Never played the original but certainly plan on now, hopefully its a bit easier on the big screen, I'll still play it but just a minor annoyance that may make me put it down sometimes. It'd be five without the annoying controls to be honest, maybe it should be but it stuck out for me annoyingly at times.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

5. Red Steel 2 Wii
CSKXL2T.jpg

Completion time ~6 hours
First Wii game I've ever completed and I've had one since christmas of the year it was launched. Its good, the story is garbage, the gameplay is good and works really well with Wii Motion Plus. The door opening loading screens got a tad annoying as they became increasingly obvious, also the level design was a bit lacking and felt like a lot of backtracking. The varying mobs were quite interesting forcing you to use different moves which were pretty satisfying with the motion controls. Bosses were okay, not particularly hard or interesting. The last boss was a joke, perhaps the easiest though which pissed me off and then it was just over. Worth a playthrough, but nothing more for me.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

6. Inazuma Eleven GO: Shadow 3DS
Ly0AvIZ.jpg

Completion Time ~ 21 hours
First time I've played a game from this series, didn't really check it out before buying it, just an impulse purchase on release and never touched it. I really like the English voice acting for some reason, usually people dislike the dubs but I found it pretty enjoyable, Arion's voice when happy always made me laugh. Story was enjoyable, some decent twists even though they were slightly obvious, the graphics are really nice and the switch to anime was also enjoyable, would have liked some more. Gameplay was fun, lots of RNG and I stayed ~7 levels below the recommended which made it quite challenging (lost the QF like 6 times 3-2 lol). Its by no means perfect but I've not played anything like it and it was really fun start to finish, taking top place in my average playtime on my 3DS.

7. Tetris/Tetris Ultimate/Tetris DS
kP57Mhk.jpg

Completion Time ~ N/A
Been playing so many different versions of this on my 3ds (want to get Puyo Puyo Tetris for Xbox imported too), its Tetris, its kinda hard to go wrong. I haven't had a real go and most of the game modes, Ultimate seems kinda lacking but wasn't too expensive and not a big fan of the sound track, managed to nab GB Tetris the day before it was removed from eshop, first game I ever had on my gameboy pocket. Been playing almost every day since watching KevinDDR at AGDQ.

8. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
dcMB2kn.jpg

Completion Time ~ N/A (Probably put in 50+ hours since 1st Jan)
Its Counter-Strike, its the GOAT of smaller team based FPS. Fuck the Tec 9

9. Liberation Maiden
23taU3R.jpg

Completion Time ~ 1 hour
Not much to say, overpriced on 3DS, short as hell, story that was impossible to give a shit about, the end 'bosses' of each level were decent enough along with the last one but just far too short for the money. Graphically did nothing for me either
&#9733;&#9733;

Counter Spy - 3star
Pokemon X - 4star
Dead or Alive 5 last round - 4star
OlliOlli2 - 5star
BloodBorne

jiggles

Banned
Original Post

Game 4: Broken Age (Act 1)
15b62149184e4dc263863cdklg.jpg

A day in my parents' house with only my laptop for company prompted me to pull this one off the backlog, as it's one of the few Steam games I have that works well with a trackpad and doesn't need a lot of grunt to run. I had a great time with it. The animation, writing, artstyle and voice acting made it a delight. I didn't want it to end, and I was a little disappointed when it did, because it wasn't so much throwing a twist at you as pulling something completely out of nowhere. I'm glad I sat on it for so long, though, because the wait for Act 2 won't be as awful now.
If you liked The Secret of Monkey Island you will like this

FUCK! I started my first Persona game, Persona 4: Golden two days ago (on the 9th) and I can't stop playing.

FUCK! MY 52 GAME CHALLENGE NNNNOOO!!!!

I was so close to beating my replay of Wind Waker too. :(

Well there is only one solution:
Beat it as fast as possible. Already 13 hours in, will 100% by the end of the month mwahaha. And I won't count it as beaten until I get all trophies available.

I must say this is making me want to join the Persona 5 hype train but the thought of playing a RPG like this on a non portable is true despair. I may just do it tho. Off tv play is kinda good, but I feel like playing 5-10 20-40 minute sessions a day may make my PS4 overheat lol.
The reason I wouldn't go with P3P as my next one is just because I'd want to be able to vote P5 as my GOTY next year lmao.

PS: Kinda off topic, but after beating Persona 4 can I play the P4 story in Persona Q then wait until after I beat P3 to play the P3 story or would that still spoil P3?

I think P4 may be the best game I'll play this year at the rate I'm enjoying it. Glad to have finally started this series.

ZeroXZee

Finished games:

SSX (Xbox 360)
Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons (Xbox 360)
Flatout (PC)
Burnout Revenge (Xbox 360)
Ride To Hell: Retribution (Xbox 360)
Rock Band Blitz (Xbox 360)
Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious (Xbox 360)
EDGE (PC)
Evoland (PC)
Potatoman Seeks The Proof (PC)
Pitiri 1977 (PC)

Drayco21

Really screwed up last year, made a mess of my free time and then got busier than anticipated in school. Even busier semester coming up, so not anticipating pulling this off, but I'm always game to give it a shot.

1Jxhmkf.png

Game #1- inFAMOUS: First Light
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS4 | Beaten: January 3rd | Time: Roughly 16 Hours
Despite knowing this was going to be one of our Plus games of the month for the PS4, I decided to finally import a copy of the physical version from Europe, because I am a god damn madman. inFAMOUS: First Light is sort of just... more of the worst game in the inFAMOUS series, I guess. It's set in a small part of the same city, uses very similar powers to the Neon powers already in-game, and uses a lot of very similar side missions and activities. The big new inclusion, the combat arena, would be more interesting if the combat in the game itself were more intricate and fun on its own. If anything stands out in the series, it's the traversal stuff and the shard collecting moreso than the just acceptable combat, so it feels weird to make that the core highlight of the game. Regardless, most of my problems with Second Son are still here- there's not enough variety in the enemies and combat encounters to keep them interesting, there's not a whole lot of reason to keep playing the game outside of the very shallow and quickly depleted side stuff, and the city still feels dead. One thing that First Light shines in over Second Son is the writing and story- I much prefer Fetch as a character to Delsin, and her tale felt a lot more compelling in 2 hours of story missions than a whole game of two different branching paths did for Delsin. If there was more effort put into the enemies, or if the game was set in Curdin Cay full time instead of just for brief combat sims and a ten minute segment near the end, I probably would've enjoyed this more. It's no inFAMOUS 2, but I think this one at least edges out Second Son itself in terms of quality to me.

0vRBjlX.png

Game #2- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS4 | Beaten: January 3rd | Time: Roughly 4 Hours
I'm far from a devout MGS fan, having only played a handful of the series entries here and there, and somehow managing to avoid any game starring Big Boss up to this point altogether, but while I was content to wait until Phantom Pain for my next Metal Gear playthrough, the Amazon deal was a bit too much for me to pass on, and I ended up buying the demo too. Mechanically, the game is fantastic- leagues ahead of MGS4 in terms of how much you can do and how responsive it feels to do it. I really enjoyed playing out different tactics and strategies, seeing what kind of dumb bullshit I could get up to and how many neat tricks I could pull off. While I didn't play Peace Walker, the in-game audio tapes gave me a pretty clear picture, and I was glad to have them- but even removed from the mess of continuity, I don't think I dig the story of Ground Zeroes or where it's going. It's definitely interesting to see a game attempt to tackle the very serious subject matter presented in the game, but I feel like a lot of it is handled rather poorly. It probably doesn't help that the main reason I come to Metal Gear is dumb anime lunacy and Kojima going full up-his-own-ass taking-itself-to-seriously crazy, and this is sorely lacking in both respects. It makes a pretty good demo for the Phantom Pain, at least- still looking forward to that.

zr94PaC.png

Game #3- Dragon Age Inquisition
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS4 | Beaten: January 11th | Time: 90:00 on the dot
Bioware has always been my favorite developer, and Dragon Age Origins was my game of the generation for the last gen, having seen me put in well over 2000 hours into it, making it very likely my most played game ever. For the longest time, I thought Bioware could do no wrong. Then Dragon Age II came out, and while the story and characters were great, everything else was...not so much. Then The Old Republic came out, and it had a subscription fee and stepped all over Obsidian's feet and basically destroyed any chance of KOTOR 3. Then Mass Effect 3 came out, and the disappointment was so profound, I almost thought it was time to stop paying attention to the hobby altogether. I needed Inquisition to be good, and fortunately for me, it's the game that finally broke Bioware's losing streak. The main storyline picks up a number of threads from Origins and II that I was really glad to see not forgotten, like everything involving Corypheus- a character I was worried Bioware would let fade into obscurity and never be mentioned again after Legacy. It was great to see a return to so many locales from Origins, and I really enjoyed exploring the world and putting time into the sidequests. I think the party was overall weaker than most Bioware games, but for every awful Vivenne or Cole, there was a really cool character like The Iron Bull and Blackwall. While I don't think Inquisition is Origins good, it's easily my GOTY for 2014, and has done a hell of a lot to restore my faith in one of my once favorite devs. Now just let us use healing magic again, and we'll be square.

6RmYsqT.png

Game #4- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS4 | Beaten: January 22nd | Time: 19:09
When people have asked me in-person what I think about my time with Shadow of Mordor, I've found the best way to describe my opinion as "It's a terrible Lord of the Rings game, but it's bar none the best Assassin's Creed game ever made". Shadow of Mordor should make me really angry- its frequent and blatant disregard for the lore and the mythos it's been constructed around is appalling, and it fits the franchise thematically about as poorly as one could make it, and I maintain that it would have been much better served as a new IP instead of latching itself to one of the most important pieces of modern fiction, but at the same time, it's hard to care about the window dressings enough to get mad at it, both because Monolith seems to care so little about its own plot, and because the underlying mechanics are so well crafted. It feels like its taken the AC/Batman style combat and naturally progressed it far better than either of those two have in their own series. All three combat styles are viable and fun, and the powers are a blast, while it does a good job of keeping Talion from becoming so overpowered that the Warchiefs and Captains become trivial even as far as the endgame. The Nemesis System is what truly makes this game something special, and it's a system that desperately needs to be in more games- what I assumed going in was going to be a gimmick mechanic that doesn't quite live up to where I would want it to be, ended up delivering on the promises of its potential in every regard. I actually can't wait to see the future of this series, even if it's in spite of it's story.

W9bYyaI.png

Game #5- Frog Fractions
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PC | Beaten: January 26th | Time: 00:34
On the surface, Frog Fractions is a generic, boring flash game and could have easily faded away as quickly as it came, but if you can stick out the first couple minutes, it quickly evolves into one of the most wonderfully subversive, absurd, quirky experiences I've ever had in the gaming industry. When I first heard about it a while back on the Giant Bombcast, I knew I needed to play it for myself, and ever since then, I've found my way back to go again once every few months or so. There's not a whole lot to say about Frog Fractions that doesn't go into spoilers for what Frog Fractions even is, so all I'll say is that it's one of the most charming experiences I've played in years, and remains so on subsequent playthroughs, and I urge everyone to give it a shot for themselves. I can't wait to see what comes of the Frog Fractions 2 kickstarter.

vdusSVR.png

Game #6- Diablo 3
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS4 | Beaten: January 30th | Time: ~20-25 Hours (no in-game clock)
Despite my immense love for Blizzard games in-general, I decided to hold off on Diablo III at launch. The build-up buzz and the design philosophies made it seem clear that we could expect a console port to come, and I'd much rather play it there than on my awful PC or laptop, and so I waited- a decision I felt completely validated for as the Auction House turned into a disaster and the backlash towards the game spiked up. When the game finally came to the PS3 last year, I once again waited, reasoning that the announced PS4 port would probably include the Reaper of Souls expansion and that I waited this long, may as well pick it up for my shiny, new system. Now here we are, years after the announcement, and I'm finally getting to play through my "definitive", awaited Diablo, and I've absolutely loved every minute of the experience. Last year, a big part of what ruined my 52 game count was falling down a 600 hour Marvel Heroes hole, but Diablo is in a tier of quality far apart from the F2P game. I played through the game as a female Demon Hunter named Valla for my first playthrough, and I enjoyed every minute- I really had a blast tearing into enemies with dual crossbows, strafe and rapid fire and supported by turrets, all while backflipping all over the place. I made one major mistake, and played through the game on Normal instead of Hard at first, so it ended up being a huge cakewalk, but all-in-all, I can't wait to keep playing more of this. I want to keep taking Valla through higher difficulties, but I also can't wait to see the other classes- Monks sound like a blast, just straight punching demons to death, and I want to try the Crusader too.

I know people (rightfully) complain about Blizzard writing all the time, but the game's story and lore is delightfully cheesy and dumb in all the ways that I love things to be dumb. I think the cast is full of fantastic and memorable characters- all three followers, Leah, Belial, Azmodan, Imperius and plenty more make me really hope the Diablo franchise gets more love in the future of Heroes of the Storm.

bY6NEiF.png

Game #7- Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS4 | Beaten: February 3rd | Time: ~6-10 Hours (no in-game clock)
Reaper of Souls is pretty much just more Diablo 3, which I really enjoyed, so of course I still really enjoyed my time with Reaper of Souls. I do have quite a few more complaints regarding the story stuff in this one than the last one- namely that Malthael is a really cool design who doesn't really get to do anything, with cringingly awful dialogue. The story kind of glosses over some stuff that could have been really interesting, and ending without one of Blizzard's signature pre-rendered cutscenes and instead with a lame narration was pretty weak. Overall, I still had a blast, and can't wait to start a Crusader and play through these two a second time. Hopefully those rumors aren't true and the Diablo team isn't being shuttered, I'd love to see more games set in this universe.

VfLZYcX.png

Game #8- Remember Me
Rating: &#9733; | Platform: PS3 | Beaten: February 6th | Time: TBD
Finishing Remember Me has been a long time coming. I initially downloaded it when it was one of the month's Plus games a while back, reasoning that even if it wasn't great, I wanted to try out a game with such interesting art direction and new ideas. Unfortunately, the art direction is the only thing worth saying anything positive about in this game; and even that is squandered for half of the game, moving from the gorgeous Neo-Parisian cities to generic, sterilized hallways of buildings and sewers/slums. The story is filled with a cast of incredibly unlikable scumbags, obvious plot twists and a terrible script. The gameplay is complete garbage- the combo system is inherently detrimental to the combat, forcing you to create custom combos that the game itself has difficulty not resetting mid-combo, which ultimately feels like a poor man's, broken Batman game, and then you realize that you can just set a three hit combo to give you health back and shorten the cooldown on your powers and only use that to cheese the game because the game fails to let you finish any longer combos half the time anyway. The generic guard enemies are okay, but the Leapers feel awful to fight, and even worse, the boss battles are some of the most user unfriendly combat encounters I've ever seen in a video game. "You can only hurt this boss by using a power for a couple seconds and then waiting for a 2 minute cooldown, also we're not going to indicate which power that is, and it's not going to make any actual sense, have fun!" I mean, the final boss can only be damaged by attacking a box, and in one stage of the boss, the box becomes invisible unless you use one specific attack, which up to this point has not been used to reveal things that are invisible, and there is no indication that the box is in the arena yet or needs to be found. Throw in problems like framerate dips, broken platforming, script breaking bugs and plenty of others, and it's not hard to see why no one really remembers Remember Me; it's not a failure of a game because it stars a female, minority protagonist, as I've seen people argue in the past, it bombed because it's a shit video game.

2ejjg60.png

Game #9- Star Wars: Republic Commando
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: Xbox | Beaten: February 8th | Time: 06:34
Star Wars and video games have had a long, long relationship full of incredible experiences and moments, and maybe its just the era I grew up in, but when I think about video games and Star Wars, there's three moments that immediately come to mind; Kriea's deconstruction of morale decisions on Nar Shada in KOTOR 2, the revelation of the player character's name in the original KOTOR, and the opening sequence of Republic Commando, from cloning vat birth to deployment on Geonosis, riding in to the desert battlefield in the open LAAT. No other Star Wars game has come close to recreating the raw intensity of Republic Commando, with its visceral combat, tight pacing, and excellent squad-based dynamics. The game really makes you feel like a Clone Trooper, and each sequence in the game is just dripping with atmosphere. The combat encounters all feel great, and the arsenal of weapons is varied enough for the size of the game that it feels like there's plenty of options, and the intractable environments and squad commands really bring it alive all the better.

The only real problems I have with it is that I wish there was more of it to play. There's only three locations- Geonosis, a derelict Republic Cruiser, and Kashyyyk, and while all three are super varied and awesome, I would have loved to see Delta Squad deploy to more locations across the galaxy and fight in other battles through the war. That said, the game is pretty fantastically paced for the content it does have, and makes each of the three squad members shockingly interesting characters in their own rights. It's a damn shame we never got a sequel to this, but on its own, it stands as one of the finest Star Wars games ever produced, and that's a pretty prestigious list. Hopefully an Imperial Commando is on the radar for the future, now that we're entering into a new age of Star Wars gaming.

Game #10- Star Wars: Battlefront II

H2dIRN0.png

Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: Xbox | Beaten: February 20th | Time: 07:45

Nothing's cozier than wrapping up in some nice blankets in the middle of a snow day, getting some hot chocolate, and blasting through some Battlefront II. Like most shooters before everything became just like Halo/CoD/Gears, there's a little jank to the movement and the general feel of the third person shooter, but at no point does it actually feel detrimental to the game design like some others from that gen. The shooting still feels tight, and I still love the character class, control point style of gameplay. I know that it was a controversial addition at the time, but I still think the Hero units are a neat addition, at least to the single player campaign- they feel a lot more out of place in the Instant Action and Galactic Conquest stuff. Speaking of, the campaign is still one of the highlights for me- the narration as a journal as a member of the 501st is super well written and getting to play the Clones through their transition into becoming Imperial Stormtroopers was a really fun, different take on the franchise.

I'm still wanting to stay optimistic for the next Battlefront game, but I just don't trust DICE, I don't trust EA, and I don't like any of the things we've been hearing so far- from it apparently just being a Battlefield game, to being a first-person shooter, to stripping out classes to make customizable loadouts instead- it just doesn't sound like the Battlefront that I loved, or the Battlefront sequel that I want. Fortunately, no matter what their finished product is, Battlefront II remains one of the best Star Wars games ever created.

Game #11- Marvel Heroes 2015

3IBmH6M.png

Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PC | Beaten: February 27th | Time: 606:32

This game, combined with my class schedule last year, were big parts of what stopped me from finishing my 52 Games Challenge last year- I spent so much time playing Marvel Heroes that I failed to actually finish dozens of games. After 600 hours, I think I'm at a point where, while I'll still be playing plenty of it as new characters and story stuff comes out, it's not going to dominate my year again.

For this year already, I ran through the story from start to finish and maxed the level for X-23, which probably took me around a dozen hours or so? Give or take a few. It's still a really good video game, with minor improvements to where it was when I added it to my list last year.

Game #12- StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

hvHnCvf.png

Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PC | Beaten: March 1st | Time: ~10-11 Hours

This year sure has been a Blizzard kinda year so far, hasn't it? Diablo III, Reaper of Souls, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and now, Heart of the Swarm. I decided to wait a little while before playing this one because as much as I loved Wings of Liberty, a big part of the appeal of StarCraft to me has been playing as the Terrans and doing space-trucker shit- which they blew on the last game. Of the three factions, it's the Zerg Swarm that I liked the least. After the trailer for Legacy of the Void reminded me that I hadn't caught up yet, I decided to track down a copy for $20.

I know people give Blizzard stories shit constantly for being really poorly written- but I still consistently love them. I really liked the evolution of Kerrigan as a character, and I liked the idea of evolving your Swarm to create the optimal army. The biggest appeal in the mechanics for me in this game are Hero Units, which I haven't seen emphasized in an RTS game for a long time, but was a mechanic I always loved. I do wish we got to use the non-Kerrigan characters more often, but they were all a lot of fun. Still, I can't help but wish that this was still a game about space cowboys.

Game #13- Batman: Arkham Asylum

YrSfljV.png

Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; | Platform: PS3 | Beaten: March 5th | Time: 8.5 Hours

I've probably played through Arkham Asylum a dozen times by now; I own it for both 360 and PS3, and have frequently gone back to it to run through the story again and again. I still have my reservations about Arkham City- I think going open world was a mistake, and I feel like it added too much fat to the combat that made it feel more bloated. Asylum is a fantastically well-developed world, the combat feels great and the whole game is extremely well paced. It's got a lot of those Metroidvania elements that really shine and stand out that the sequels kind of lost, but really highlight how atmospheric and well realized the whole experience is.

I decided to run through this one on hard on my PS3, since that's where my digital copy is and I still hadn't done that on that console yet, so I could net a couple trophies on the way. The hard mode in this one is always entertaining because it removes the counter highlight icons and forces you to pay a lot more attention to the ton of stuff happening on screen, which forces you to play smarter- you still feel like an absolute badass, but you feel like a human badass, whereas the rest of the game makes you feel like a goddamn inhuman terminator; both are really entertaining, but I almost prefer it without the counter signs.

Currently In-Progress:
Jade Empire (Xbox)- Just starting Chapter 3.
Marvel: Contest of Champions (Mobile)- In the middle of Act 2 of 3.
Heroes of the Storm (PC)- Still learning how to play.
Borderlands 2 (PS3)- PS+ version, coming up on the endgame
Hitman: Contracts (PS3)- PS+
Fate/Stay Night (PC)- About 1/3rd of the way through Heaven's Feel.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3)- Just started
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Re;birth1- Still relatively early

Game #1

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (3DS) : A-

I really liked the gameplay despite the use of the time limit between Sora and Riku. Graphics wise, it was pretty great. Music and voice acting was really good. The story was interesting.

Original Post

1EfnzTG.png

Game 1: Monument Valley (iOS) [9/10]
Time: 1:20

Monument Valley is a really fun puzzle game, the difficulty was mostly on the easy side bur I'm a pretty experience puzzler if I do say so myself. I really love the soundtrack of the game and it's probably the best mobile game I've ever played.

UEUK09m.png

Game 2: Framed (iOS) [6/10]
Time: 1:30

Framed is a decent puzzle game, you swap panels around to make sure that story can continue smoothly. The game is a little bit clunky at times but still managed to entertain me for over an hour, I like the noir feel of the game and happy to support Australian developers.

KOnFm2d.png

Game 3: Nintendo Pocket Football Club (3DS) [9/10]
Time: 36:11

Nintendo Pocket Football Club is one of those games that I love but totally didn't expect to, I don't like soccer but I really like micro managing. This game can get a little difficult later on when your star players just wear down and you can't see a players potential/age when drafting to replace them. I managed to scrape through right to the end and spent a lot of time playing it.

Link to Update 2

hepburn3d

Completed Thomas Was Alone last night. What the hell was this game??? Somehow a very very simple puzzle game turned into an emotional journey?!? The music and commentary was fantastic. After the first 3 chapters I started to really enjoy the puzzles to :)

3 / 52 completed
10 / 52 played

Original Post

Game 3: Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden - 4 Hours

I'm not sure what went wrong in my life that caused me to play Hidden Object games. Short, decent, poor VO, a complete ripoff of Bioshock etc...

Caramello

Completion Update: Game 2

XwVlNP4.jpg

Pokémon: Alpha Sapphire

Completion time:
7 hours in 2015
39:31 hours in total

Completed at around 7:00pm on Monday 12/1/15.

#Played for a total of 39 hours and 31 minutes (7 hours exactly of which were in 2015) and reached the end of the Delta Episode.

More to follow...

Bumhead

Banned
Original post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145201897&postcount=202

Game #1: inFamous: First Light
Platform: PS4 - Beaten: 12th January
Completion: Campaign & Side Quests
Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Not a huge fan of the inFamous series, but I enjoyed Second Son just about enough to be pleased to get the First Light expansion this month. Enjoyed playing as Fetch and the light power was my favourite from the main game. Was interesting to see some further expansion to her character and motives, although I found the majority of the story missions a little boring, and it was only really towards the end that it paid off. Gameplay is easy to get on with though and I enjoyed mopping up the collectibles and the challenge arena's.

mp1990

Banned
OG post : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145803883&postcount=448

#4 Luftrausers
I'm still playing this game,but i've played almost 10 hours of it already,so i think i can say that i finished most of the things it could bring to me. What a fantastic game,my friends. The controls,the costumization,the difficulty,everything in this game is fantastic,and is one of my favorite indies game of all time. I'm totally hooked on it,can't play anything else,everytime i turn my PS3 on i go directly on it.
#5 Ace Attorney: Justice For All
I've played the first game last week and i thought that no other game in the series would get as good as that,and i was very wrong. The 4 cases in PW2 are much better than PW1,especially the fourth case,it exploded my mind. It's a shame that they didn't include a fifth case in the game like they did to PW1,i would love to see Ema Skye come back one more time.

Hikami

b75f9e8eb7.png

Game 6: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Playtime: 6:25
Started: Jan 3rd, 2015
Completed: Jan 12th, 2015
// Can I rename this game to Fire Emblem vs other Nintendo characters? Not sure why I even bought this since the only characters I even like in the game are the Fire Emblem ones. Needed something to play with my other friends who have a 3DS I guess. It got boring pretty quick.. not my type of game really.
--
bc1b4c260f.png

Game 7: Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi dragon to fushigi na orb
Playtime: 7:28
Started: Jan 9th, 2015
// Finally got to try one of the 3DS Taiko games. Not as good as the arcade version I've played with the actual tatacon controller but, still fun anyways. Sad that I still fail horribly at anything past normal difficulty though.. Thankfully most of the game was in hiragana/furigana as I still struggle with kanji. Definitely worth importing even if you don't know Japanese.
--

Original Post

jiggles

Banned
Original post

I kinda can't believe how much progress I'm making so far. My resolution is to finish 5 games for every one I allow myself to buy, and I already have my Bloodborne purchase in the bank. This thread really helps!

Game 5: The Blackwell Deception
5yyknv.png

More classic Blackwell pointing and clicking. The Blackwell games are like a trashy, low-budget movie series that you can't help but secretly love. Entertainingly written as always, with a few more co-operative puzzles added to the usual sleuthing mix. I really enjoyed it, just like the others, but unfortunately the story went a little off the rails at the end, like the first game. Nice touch with the post-credits cliffhanger, though. I have the fifth (and final?) game in my Steam library already, so I'll probably get to that within the month.
If you liked The Shivah you will like this

WAyjTBZ.jpg

Game #1: Hyrule Warriors - Wii U
Completion: Completed Legend Mode, Cleared 6 Adventure Mode maps
Personal Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

I will definitely be coming back to this game. There is a huge amount of unlockable content and a decently priced DLC still waiting for me. It adheres fairly closely to the Dynasty Warriors formula while implanting enough Legend of Zelda characters and nostalgia to satisfy me until the mainline Legend of Zelda game comes out. The difficulty ramps up pretty dramatically once you hit Adventure and Hero modes, and you'll need to start using all the tricks and items you've been collecting along the way. The characters all have similar move sets, but their execution varies enough that they each feel unique. Link and Gannondorf, probably as designed, feel much more powerful than most of the other characters - although I find myself using Impa, Sheik and Midna frequently. The Amiibo implementation is nice enough, giving you a random present (usually rupees) every day for each Amiibo you scan in (Link and Zelda provide much better rewards). If only that asshole Diddy Kong didn't give me 1 fucking rupee four days in row. But I digress. This is easily one of the best games I played in the past year and I would highly recommend this game to Zelda and Warriors fans alike.

6sKQJqk.jpg

Game #2: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition - PS4
Completion: Platinum Trophy Completion
Personal Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;

I've always enjoyed Sleeping Dogs (originally played this on the PS3) and the Definitive Edition definitely steps the game up, on consoles at least. Their depiction of Hong Kong still holds up fairly well for an obvious last-gen port and there's a ton of new content (I especially enjoyed the new cop missions that made it easier to max out Cop XP) and its still the very well put-together open-world GTA-esque experience. This is one of the few games that I enjoyed going back into to finish out the trophy list.

Mcp8Xre.jpg

Game #3: Injustice: Gods Among Us - PS4
Completion: Main Story and a handful of matches
Personal Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fighting fan. I've only dabbled in Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, and Smash Bros, so obviously my experience in the genre to make a definitive "this is a good/bad fighter" is limited. But, having played this a decent amount - enough to tire of it completely - I have to say that I was very unimpressed. Graphically, this looked horrible on PS4 with cutscenes looking far worse than the actual gameplay - which seems really odd. And it may have just been me, but the controls felt very unresponsive and just off in timing sometimes. I would execute a combo perfectly and have nothing happen. Other times I would know I fucked up, and the combo would go off anyway. I'm also not particularly a fan of single-button ultimates and level-throws that knock off 1/4 of your life bar. If you took away the DC license and the allure of fighting superhero vs superhero, this game probably wouldn't stand on its own.

H5gBhx1.jpg

Game #4: Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point - PS4
Completion: All trophies
Personal Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

I'm was little hesitant to put DLC up as its own game but it's my list so fuck it. This comes as part of the Definitive Edition and is a nice little stand-alone set-piece (requires its own save file). It starts out with you and
Not-Ping
from the base game going to see a horror movie together only to find that the movie has basically come to life and all types of bad spirits are haunting North Point. There's a relative short series of missions with very little else to do (there aren't many side-quests, most of the shops are closed, no races, no content outside of North Point). It works as DLC, but I found finishing out the trophies became tedious with how thin the content is.

KA1cRtp.jpg

Game #5: Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake - PS4
Completion: All trophies
Personal Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

This is the other DLC that comes as part of the Definitive Edition but also requires its own save file. It felt like there was far more variation in the missions and available side-quest content than Nightmare in North Point. It also never felt tedious to finish out, which is definitely a plus. I liked that you are locked into playing Cop Wei, but that was likely because I played the base game heavily favoring Triad. The storyline and missions are fun enough and long enough for a decent piece of DLC.

jHS7Vli.jpg

Game #6: inFamous: First Light - PS4
Completion: Platinum Trophy Completion
Personal Rating: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

I really enjoyed inFamous: Second Son, so I was very happy to get First Light as a PS+ title. It definitely feels like a DLC though - with a storyline that ends just as it starts feeling good, only one part of the city to explore and collect, and the Curdun Cay/Danger Room missions that are particularly fun if you just want to blast D.U.P. away. I enjoyed most of the characters, although I felt
Jenny
was killed rather suddenly and that asshole
Shane
trying a little to hard to be Zeke but at least
I murdered the fucking shit out him
in the end. I spent more time that I thought I would in the Curdun Cay missions getting all the challenges completed, and enjoyed it. Definitely worth picking up and checking out.

Hikami

790d2843b1.jpg

Game 8: Ys I
Playtime: 6:00
Started: Jan 11th, 2015
// Finished this in two sittings, really enjoyed it. Thanks to Steam sales.. I ended up buying every Ys game available. This one was great. Apparently people don't like the combat system but I thought it was a ton of fun. I've been looking for an RPG as good as/similar to how much I enjoyed Trails in the Sky. Haven't had much luck there though.. Turns out I just needed to play more Falcom games.
--
Original post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom