• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Madness

I refuse to believe you guys actually care to this degree what gun model is sitting on you screen.

Ultimately none of it matters, but if you're a fan of something, for over a decade, unnecessary changes will get criticized. Just look how many went berserk because JJ Abrams added vents to a lightsaber. Not that we're like that.

But they changed a design that's iconic to the series, easily identifiable and has been for over 14+ years, to something uninspiring, generic, and to appeal to who knows.

RoKKeR

Friend and I finished our co-op Legendary (sans CE, Heroic) run through of all four Halo games last night. Between finals, the holidays, travel and early on connection problems in the beginning, it took us a while but it was so much fun to jump from one campaign right to the next.

I'd rate them as such: 3>>>>>>>>>>2>4>1

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed 4, despite a lot of obvious issues with pacing, a few clunker levels, and overly scripted/linear gameplay. That being said the environments and art style in that game are incredible, and I appreciated a lot of the story beats this time around, even if some of them are hard to follow/stupid. If they take the sandbox in Halo 5, the art design and environment direction from Halo 4, and marry that to the freedom and scale in Halo 3's campaign, H5 will could be (with a competent story) one of the best Halo campaigns yet.

Additionally, I'm sure Halo 5 will look great upon final release but I couldn't believe how good Halo 4's campaign looked... much better than what we've seen of Halo 5 so far. Wonder if they can surpass it given the new engine and performance goals. (targeting 60fps from the start)

Anyways, ramblings over. Halo 3 is the GOAT and nothing really comes close. I feel as if I've now officially gotten my money's worth from MCC after running through all of the campaigns and some technical issues here or there it was a hell of a lot of fun.

-Ryn

Banned
I refuse to believe you guys actually care to this degree what gun model is sitting on you screen.
The Rocket Launcher isn't a major problem for me but it is still an issue. It's not even the gun itself so much as the fact that there was no need for them to get rid of the SPNKr. Unless the SPNKr is gonna be a legendary weapon I just don't see why they did it. It worries me because it seems indicative that they might still be throwing iconic designs out the window because reasons.

They've proven that they care about the gameplay and are willing to fix their mistakes with it. Now I just want to know they won't screw the aesthetic of Halo further than H4 already did with the Covenant.

jem0208

The Rocket Launcher isn't a major problem for me but it is still an issue. It's not even the gun itself so much as the fact that there was no need for them to get rid of the SPNKr. Unless the SPNKr is gonna be a legendary weapon I just don't see why they did it. It worries me because it seems indicative that they might still be throwing iconic designs out the window because reasons.

They've proven that they care about the gameplay and are willing to fix their mistakes with it. Now I just want to know they won't screw the aesthetic of Halo further than H4 already did with the Covenant.

We've only lost one iconic design so far... It's not exactly throwing them away all over the place.

It would be very cool if the original design was a legendary weapon though.

Ramirez

http://xboxclips.com/PFI+DeeZy/f5c1d9aa-74ee-4c34-9e02-df24b273e691

Nice triple with the RL. At the end he says Armageddon anyone know what it means?

I think someone said it was a kill with every shell of the RL, I'm not sure though. Target practice is a kill with a RL while someone's inside a SH, I think? Too many medals for silly things like that. Cut back on the announcements to only important ones, 343.

Seriously the best spot in the game to get GPs,

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/1238f531-e196-47e7-9ede-fc7089db4845

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I think someone said it was a kill with every shell of the RL, I'm not sure though. Target practice is a kill with a RL while someone's inside a SH, I think? Too many medals for silly things like that. Cut back on the announcements to only important ones, 343.

Seriously the best spot in the game to get GPs,

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/1238f531-e196-47e7-9ede-fc7089db4845

sick. while i've never really tried GP, it seems like a nice tool under certain situations. high risk, high reward. gotta admit, looks cool as shit to pull off too.

So, I need some input regarding a gameplay mechanic in a sandbox similar to Halo's. For the sake of the inquiry, there are four primary "classes," which have advantages related more to alt-fires on patron weaponry than huge differences in class abilities like TF2. I'm toying with the idea of each class having a single unique trait, which focus on the four big elements of combat: gunplay, grenades, melee and movement. I have ideas in mind for everything but a gunplay trait. I was considering something like Dexterity's bonuses or backpack reloading, but I don't think I'd want to restrict those to a single class. Any ideas?

EDIT: I might need something for melee too, if there are any ideas. Might have that be "melee hitbox can damage multiple targets," though.

Ramirez

sick. while i've never really tried GP, it seems like a nice tool under certain situations. high risk, high reward. gotta admit, looks cool as shit to pull off too.

I find GP works best if you have people keeping the enemy distracted and you fly in from an area they don't expect. It kinda shocks people, giving your teammates extra shots while they're figuring out what just happened, lol.

It's not an ability to use every time you spawn, but I hate when I hear people say it's useless.

op_ivy

I find GP works best if you have people keeping the enemy distracted and you fly in from an area they don't expect. It kinda shocks people, giving your teammates extra shots while they're figuring out what just happened, lol.

It's not an ability to use every time you spawn, but I hate when I hear people say it's useless.

its just hard to teach this old dog new tricks.

jem0208

So, I need some input regarding a gameplay mechanic in a sandbox similar to Halo's. For the sake of the inquiry, there are four primary "classes," which have advantages related more to alt-fires on patron weaponry than huge differences in class abilities like TF2. I'm toying with the idea of each class having a single unique trait, which focus on the four big elements of combat: gunplay, grenades, melee and movement. I have ideas in mind for everything but a gunplay trait. I was considering something like Dexterity's bonuses or backpack reloading, but I don't think I'd want to restrict those to a single class. Any ideas?

EDIT: I might need something for melee too, if there are any ideas. Might have that be "melee hitbox can damage multiple targets," though.

How about a back stab ability for one class? Instant hit kill if melee is hit from behind.

Hookshot melee? You throw some type of grapple which if it connects drags the target and player together dealing melee damage to the target. Only short range I guess.

How about being able to instantly fire during the reload animation? Kinda like TF2, you won't actually reload until the animation is complete but you can interrupt the animation to shoot.

Just random ideas, can't really suggest much without knowing more about the game.

How different are you willing to make them? It could be something as basic as having a superior version of the alt-fire modes (i.e. more damage, longer range, etc.), but that'd introduce balance issues, especially compared to the melee class.

-Ryn

Banned
We've only lost one iconic design so far... It's not exactly throwing them away all over the place.

It would be very cool if the original design was a legendary weapon though.
That's why I said it might be indicative.
Given that all we have is the beta there's not much to go on. I didn't say they were throwing everything out the window but H4 certainly had no qualms doing so. I either didn't like or outright despised many of the redesigns in H4 so I'm a bit weary.

I don't mind having new weapons but replacing legacy weapons with a new one that functions almost identically is just kinda dumb imo. The design of the new RL is fine. It looks like a Bazooka which I kinda dig.

Can carry third weapon
Special third weapon (can't be dropped)
Grappling hook for enemies
Starting weapon has bonus effect
Bullets have slight "tagging" ability
Can throw empty weapons at enemies

How different are you willing to make them? It could be something as basic as having a superior version of the alt-fire modes (i.e. more damage, longer range, etc.), but that'd introduce balance issues, especially compared to the melee class.

The melee class has some good counters to ranged gunplay (vector shurikens, swords that are balanced for throwing that'll teleport you to where they land, ranged assassinations under some extremely contrived circumstances), but I wasn't thinking something as... "scalable" as damage or rate of fire. Like, I'd prefer it to be something you couldn't really apply to any of the other mechanics - you can't really spin "melee hitbox that hits multiple enemies" into a movement-related advantage, etc.

jem0208

The melee class has some good counters to ranged gunplay (vector shurikens, swords that are balanced for throwing that'll teleport you to where they land, ranged assassinations under some extremely contrived circumstances), but I wasn't thinking something as... "scalable" as damage or rate of fire. Like, I'd prefer it to be something you couldn't really apply to any of the other mechanics - you can't really spin "melee hitbox that hits multiple enemies" into a movement-related advantage, etc.

Ah, well that's both my melee suggestions discarded then.

How movement based is the game? Is it high paced and lots of verticality or slower etc?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
weback.png

#WeBack

Hahahahahahahaha.

How movement based is the game? Is it high paced and lots of verticality or slower etc?

Think (roughly) base speed movement as fast as H5G sprint, maybe a little faster, with plenty of emphasis on verticality.

If it makes any difference, the gunplay bonus class has the same starting weapons as everyone else but receives "patron weapon" bonuses that are mainly explosives.

Agreed, I'm trying to see if I can replicate it.

EDIT: There it is! Someone else, load up 'The Arbiter' and while the cutscene is playing, press your Xbox button twice to bring up the record menu. Back out, and now you should have a menu over the still-playing cutscene. Press save and quit, and then resume afterwards.

You can even switch between old and new during the cutscene, that's pretty cool. Got another video.

I'm not to upset that they changed it, but I think it could be more distinct. If it were black and silver again, I think it would be at least more distinct on the ground in addition to calling back to the original.

EDIT: There it is! Someone else, load up 'The Arbiter' and while the cutscene is playing, press your Xbox button twice to bring up the record menu. Back out, and now you should have a menu over the still-playing cutscene. Press save and quit, and then resume afterwards.

You can even switch between old and new during the cutscene, that's pretty cool. Got another video.

It works.

HTupolev

Seeing a in engine cutscene kind of makes me wish they had done the whole thing that way.
Yeah. The Blur cutscenes had really polished asset creation and animation, but they're dissonant with the game's style, their transitions break up the flow of things, and IMO the direction was questionable and the editing was sometimes janky (particularly with audio).

jem0208

I wonder if the Gravemind cut scene is viewable... I doubt it but I'd be curious to see. I assume it would all just be unfinished textures.

I wonder if the Gravemind cut scene is viewable... I doubt it but I'd be curious to see. I assume it would all just be unfinished textures.

It'd probably be nothing or a big grey box, since I don't think they made a gravemind model for the new graphics engine. (I don't recall it being ingame at all)

Also, this glitch only seems to work on the levels that have two distinct sections/sets for their cutscenes. (Delta Halo has Space and then the atmo/ground areas, Gravemind has the Gravemind and High Charity parts, and Arbiter has High Charity and Threshold)

It skips the first section and shows the second only.

jem0208

It'd probably be nothing or a big grey box, since I don't think they made a gravemind model for the new graphics engine. (I don't recall it being ingame at all)

Also, this glitch only seems to work on the levels that have two distinct sets for their cutscenes. The load skips the first set/area/section and skips to the second.

Yeah, that's what I would assume.

Fuchsdh

Well damn. I was replaying "The Ark" and decided to use a Wraith to take down the Scarab. The Scarab started flipping out when I was shelling it from underneath, and started climbing back up the side of the Cartographer, and then ended up walking around the top of the map as if there was an invisible platform there. Never seen that happen before.

...And as I go to capture it, I realize that I turned off clip recording. Sigh. Is there a way to prevent the Game DVR from automatically recording things and just have it do clips when you invoke the "record that" command?

op_ivy

this is great. blur cg is awesome, but i much prefer in-game cutscenes to CGI.

Akai__

this is great. blur cg is awesome, but i much prefer in-game cutscenes to CGI.

Blur should have maybe made a CGI movie of Halo: Escalation (or some other stuff) and 343i should have made in-engine cutscenenes for H2A.

Still think they look awesome in H2A and I appreciate them. Wished they would do more.

They will probably make the Halo Wars 2 cutscenes as well, now that MS has formed a new studio for RTS strategy games.

Top Bottom