• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On April 5th, the Playstation 2 finally drops to $99

I couldn’t find any discussion on this anywhere, on NeoGAF or otherwise, so this might be a “NeoGAF Exclusive”.

I’ve looked at some advanced copies of sales flyers from major retailers in attempt to see if a PS3 price drop was really on the horizon. No real PS3 price drops, but I did discover that the Playstation 2 will see a permanent $30 price drop starting April 5th. It’s definitely not a temporary sale; every flyer I’ve seen says “price drop” or “new low price”. I suppose the timing is an attempt to steal a little thunder from the sure-to-be-huge DSi launch.

I don’t have any scans or links, which I know GAF will frown upon. The source is me. Anybody with access to retailer ads for the week of 04/05/09-04/11/09 should be able to back me up on this, though.

Anyway, it's been a long time coming.

USD

I kinda want to get the newer version of the Slimline, I don't know whether I'm whore enough to buy a second PS2 though, even at $99.

Baron

You know, nine years ago I swore I wouldn't buy a PS2 until the price dropped to $99. Oh how I would have been waiting forever if I had stuck to that.

Back when the Dreamcast and Gamecube systems dropped down to $99 fairly quickly, I didn't think a $99 PS2 would be that far off. I never though an eventual $99 price would take almost 10 years to reach. :p

It was bound to happen, the PS2 had been very strong given it's last gen status, but this last Christmas it got pounded and since then it's been way down in sales. This price drop should push the system on for another year or two and then it's dead.

Salutes*

Hopefully we'll actually see a few more good games on it before it bows out. (Eyes the 3rd party Wii exclusives.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
In case anyone in Canada doesn't already have a PS2, the new price scheme up here is currently set to be $109 for a PS2, $129 for the Lego Bundle and whatever the other bundle is.

MoogPaul

Is there any place I can find the upgrades made in the PS2 hardware revisions? I'm trying to decide if it's finally time to get a new one.

somuchwater said:
Um, did you get the link mixed up? This is from October 10, 2003. You know, SIX YEARS AGO!
I can't give you a real link, I was merely pointing out that we've been waiting for this price drop to happen for a very long time.

Well I stand corrected. I thought they'd never do it considering the production costs of the PS2 left them with such a minimal profit margin. As the PS2 had already peaked I didn't think they'd be able to drop the price with a steadily shrinking production run. I'm sure an exec. said that they'd never do it also, because the person who buys at $99 probably won't buy many games.

a Master Ninja said:
I can't give you a real link, I was merely pointing out that we've been waiting for this price drop to happen for a very long time.

Ah, I see... But why did you give a date, then?

Besides, I think Sony had no reason to drop the price until this Christmas. It may seem like a long time to maintain a price point, but it's sorta' like the Wii - why drop the price when it still sells?

Anyhoo, I just hope this isn't the announcement.

[Nintex]

It might've been better to shave that $30 of the PS3($369 instead of $399) but I guess the PS2 will see some promotions and perhaps a nice bump. Software is on the way out though(at least in Europe) so I guess we'll have to wait and see if sales actually increase.

My 60GB PS3 just died. I'm hoping to get it fixed, but if that doesn't happen, this might be quite helpful.

The optimist in me hopes that PS3 firmware 2.70, set to come out (as far as anyone can tell) in a similar timeframe to this price drop, might contain limited PS2 backwards compatibility, but that's probably far, far too much to hope for.

Zoe

It may finally be time to replace the phatty... I was still considering HD Loader though :(

Still selling like hotcakes, man i have a backlog of over 200 games... Yet i play dota more than anything else on the ps2 and ps3 combine. GOD DAMIT FUCK ME!!!!

AniHawk

And then there's the $80 price point and the $50 price point.

Should sell another 50m systems easy.

Anyway, I have close to sixty games for the thing. It seems crazy, but then again, it's been out for over 8 years and I keep buying new things every year.

Anony

this would have been great a year ago, i would have jumped on

i'd rather save 110+tax(13%) = ~125 cdn on a ps3 or 360

AFreak

Banned
dragonflys545 said:
Still selling like hotcakes, man i have a backlog of over 200 games... Yet i play dota more than anything else on the ps2 and ps3 combine. GOD DAMIT FUCK ME!!!!

What is dota?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I may actually finally get one. there are a few PS2 exclusives I want to catch up on. You know, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts, the Metal Gears, that kind of thing.

GeoramA

I've always wanted a slim, but my fat 50001 model still works fine. Plus I have a 60GB PS3. No need for three PS2 machines.

Barrett2

Maybe i'll finally pick one up. My super high tech space age PS3 is incapable of reading these 'PS2 games.'

..... no seriously, I want Persona 3

I've still got the original model PS2 with a hard drive in it lying around in my room. I would absolutely nab the latest slim model to use alongside the Portable DVD Player's screen in my room. If this news is true, sweet.

Top Bottom