• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFCC: The Crystal Bearers Website (Releasing NA 26.12.09)

Twig

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
He was a "Synthesizer Operator" on Legend of Mana, not the composer. The greatness of LoM's music was entirely due to Yoko Shimomura
I am fully aware of this fact, bro.

(<3 Yoko Shimomura)

New info from this weeks Famitsu translated by IGN.com
http://wii.ign.com/articles/975/975208p1.html said:
There's no denying it! The silence is officially over for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers. Famitsu managed to get yet another update on the game in its latest issue, complete with commentary from producer Akitoshi Kawazu and director Toshiyuki Itahan.

The major point of note in this update is the first info on a new character, a Selkie male named Keiss. Having earned the trust of army leaders, Keiss takes up a job guarding the Alexis II air ship, a symbol of peace.

Keiss and main character Layle are work partners. They're partnership is just part of the story, though. You don't actually form parties in Crystal Bearers, so you don't directly control Keiss.

Outside of the Keiss and the characters introduced in the original unveiling of the game a couple of weeks back, we can apparently look forward to one additional primary character, a female Selkie who may have the hots for Layle.

In addition to the new character, the magazine introduces a couple of new gameplay systems: Playable Events and Demon Reaction.

Playable events allow you to interact with the game during event scenes, shaking the Wiimote or pointing at particular areas of the screen. Some of these scenes have to be successfully cleared in order to progress, but in general the story will proceed regardless of your success.

One example of a Playable Event has Layle falling through the sky. Demons fall towards him, and you have to aim the Wiimote to shoot them.

The Demon Reaction system is something that we've already seen in the teaser video clips at the teaser site. The demons of the Crystal Bearers world have their own AI and movement patterns. If you let them be, they'll interact amongst themselves. The enemies react to one-another, and to Layle's attacks, in various ways, with Kawazu noting that the game includes a considerable number of patterns.

Crystal Bearers is still without a final release date, but it's certainly reassuring to see it get so much coverage of late. The wait to play will hopefully not be too long.

Playable Events sound like QTEs, but seem to mostly be there to keep you from getting bored and aren't immediate game overs if you lose.

Demon Reaction sounds awesome.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Haven't seen any CB scans from this issue yet. :(

There's an example of a Playable Event in the trailer, with a "shake the remote" symbol during a chocobo chase (around 2:02). Glad it sounds like in-context actions and not the usual "random button minigame QTE during fights" bullshit and it looks like it will be wisely applied since it's mostly related to unlocking a different scene. Shooting monsters in the air with the rifle is also included in these, cool.

The Demon Reactions we've seen in some of the videos are already so funny. Can't wait to goof around with the monsters.

Fuu

HQ scans are out from the new Famitsu. Selkie dude is officially called Keiss (as we saw in the IGN article too). A few new screens with him and the artwork that was on Jump (with legs now!), I think he looks pretty cool.

Layle is levitating a parasol in one screen. I'm trying to keep my expectations low on how many objects he will be able to interact with, I wonder how far they're going to go with it.

The fact that there are two screens with a saddled chocobo hanging out with monsters and no Layle around makes me happy. It will be sweet if your chocobo works somehow like the horse from Oblivion (instead of disintegrating/running away if you dismount).

Video has been youtube'd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtOunmJqqXU
Also some new pictures from the site:
1h3y4y.jpg

2you1k5.jpg

wl84z7.jpg

2v2i1pe.jpg

awesome video, not to mention that it's great that we've been getting constant updates that are not in a closed theater

I'm loving the art too, the few characters we've seen so far are more appealing than that shit nomura has been putting out for the last 9 years

CTLance

Lyle seems to be a major PITA to work with. Awesome video. Site's nice too. I like the music.

The only thing that bothers me a tiny bit is the huge leg protector thing the Selkie is sporting - makes his unarmored upper torso look off in comparison. Exaggerating: It gives the guy a pea shape. And that is never a good thing. He either needs to tone down his armament ( :) ), or buy a matching piece of upper body armor ( :( ).

Other than that: Sign me up for the hype train, please. Music sounds nice, Protagonist seems to be a real bastard, gameplay mechanics seem awesome too. Will watch with bated breath.

Oxx

Although I quite like the usual SD Crystal Chronicles designs it's cool to see the races realistically proportioned.

batbeg

flintstryker said:
who is the artist working on this? its been quite a while since i like the character design from a square game.

I'd imagine it's the director, Itahana, as he's done the art for all the games but EoT.

Diablos54

The Prologue vid looks awesome, this is looking like it's shaping up to be a very solid FF title. :D Plus the main character actually awesome for once, it's been a long time since that happened, last time was Zidane IMO.

Fuu

Digging the track on the official site, intro video rocks, Keiss is great and I'm starting to repeat myself, lolz. I want a release date so bad.

markot said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2you1k5.jpg

Is that helmet guy what the new toad/flower little dudes look like >.<? (Lilties or whatever)
Jegran (his name) is quite big and different. You can still find lilties like these:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2eban9v.jpg (the guards)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2h7013a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bARrIBpvIrI&fmt=18

TheOneGuy said:
W...why do they have guns. ):

I'm not objected to a little guns in my fantasy but I really liked the simple, primitive world of the original Crystal Chronicles!

I guess I should've expected it after seeing the airship in the first trailer. Oh well.
This is thousands of years later, though. I'd be shocked if technology completely stagnated.

Twig

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
This is thousands of years later, though. I'd be shocked if technology completely stagnated.
Yeah yeah.

But guns.

EDIT: I mean does every single fictional world have to follow a virtually identical technological path (in some cases, with a side of magic or whatever) that we the real world did?

It's not a huge deal. Just kind of boring.

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah yeah.

But guns.

EDIT: I mean does every single fictional world have to follow a virtually identical technological path (in some cases, with a side of magic or whatever) that we the real world did?

It's not a huge deal. Just kind of boring.
Well, literally one of the first things we saw in the game was Layle holding a gun. I'm not sure what's so surprising about the Lilties having it.

Actually, now that I think about it, guards in most FF games since VI have had guns. The bigger general types usually insist on using swords or other hand-based weaponry.

Twig

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Well, literally one of the first things we saw in the game was Layle holding a gun. I'm not sure what's so surprising about the Lilties having it.

Actually, now that I think about it, guards in most FF games since VI have had guns. The bigger general types usually insist on using swords or other hand-based weaponry.
I'm sorry I don't follow games as closely as you apparently do and I don't like the same things you do.

Next time I'll try to be exactly like you in every way. I'll also refrain from ever posting an opinion again, no matter how utterly harmless it is.

TheOneGuy said:
I'm sorry I don't follow games as closely as you apparently do and I don't like the same things you do.

Next time I'll try to be exactly like you in every way. I'll also refrain from ever posting an opinion again, no matter how utterly harmless it is.
I assumed we were having a conversation and not actually arguing. Next time I'll be sure to pick up on your apparent craziness.

Twig

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I assumed we were having a conversation and not actually arguing. Next time I'll be sure to pick up on your apparent craziness.
Fair enough. I assumed internet. ];

To be fair I don't really see how anything you said has any bearing on what I said in the post you were directly responding to. D: Whatever. Who cares, right.

batbeg said:
I'd imagine it's the director, Itahana, as he's done the art for all the games but EoT.
Actually, he didn't do the artwork for My Life as a King either. He was art supervisor while Yasuhisa Izumisawa did the artwork. Izumisawa is also doing the artwork for My Life as a Darklord.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Threi said:
That red-haired dude with the bandana is actually really good character design :O

Yep! I didn't like him at first glance, but after seeing him running around a bit he seems really cool.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That prologue was badass. game looks smooth in motion. I like the airship, looks like its crystal powered and actually plowing through miasma maybe? instead of just arbitrarily floating in the air

John Harker said:
That prologue was badass. game looks smooth in motion. I like the airship, looks like its crystal powered and actually plowing through miasma maybe? instead of just arbitrarily floating in the air
Miasma is gone by this point.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
cool indeed. the production values are strong with this one.

Top Bottom