• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

jrcbandit

Not impressed with the optimization at all.
running 4790k@4.5
Sli 970s
@1440p

cant get a consistent 60fps at all. sits around 50 most the time.

using mostly very high with 2xmsaa

Odd, I'm mostly getting 90+ fps with the same setup. Try turning ultra grass to very high, same with reflections (dunno if necessary for reflections, but ultra grass is a known GPU hog). Also, try turning shadows down to high, but then go into advanced options and turn high resolution shadows on.

When I tried most things maxed out, even then it was typically above 60 fps. Do you have all the advanced options turned on, I haven't tried any of them except for high resolution shadows.

I will say this game maxes out my i5 3570k at stock. It was maxing out a safe temp with the stock cooler. Having a cooler overnighted but this game clearly is cpu dependant.
Damn I had a feeling CPU would be the bottleneck for me but now I'm pretty sure my i5-3450 is going to have a hard time with this game.

We'll see. I'm 2 minutes from launching the game. Finally.
I really hope there are sliders to decrease vehicule density to ease the CPU like in IV or something.

EDIT : now it says 15 hours left. "Busy writing to disk". And it takes forever. With a 0 to 1% load for the Steam process. I need to be patient.I need to be patient.I need to be patient

SliChillax

I really don't see the benefit of Nvidia shadows or whatever it's called. Also I don't a see difference with Depth of field on or off or post FX. Framerate also goes to shit in the countryside.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The game is very well optimized. Something sounds mighty wrong there. On a clean install of the latest Catalyst drivers? Did you download the game off Steam or RSC?

Also check to make sure all the advanced settings are set to off/lowest before tweaking anything else.

yep, completely uninstalled everything AMD. downloaded the beta driver released yesterday and installed that. downloaded from steam and everything under advanced settings is off

Zeth

Single OCed 970 + 3570K @ 4.2

1440P, 70-90 fps. Most settings are at default. FXAA. I believe it still sits solid around 60 with 2x MSAA + TXAA.

garath

I can't wait for Andy's Nvidia breakdown of all the settings. It was a HUGE help when I was tweaking my system for Farcry 4.

Well, what the fuck just happend? Just had a crash. Driver crash by the looks of it. No picture but sound was on and the application was running. So I close it and decide to install the new driver (which, by the way, finally goes in WITHOUT needing the Intel HD4000 to be installed at the same time which every other driver since March last year fucking required). Start the game and says it didn't close do I want Safe or normal. I choose Normal not knowing what "safe" entailed.
Anyway, game starts up and I can no longer choose a resolution above 1080p which I could before. It's like DSR is borked or missing. And there's me saying it was one of the best performing PC games I've ever played!
To be fair the game is virtually at MAX in everything and still looks great do it's not so bad. But why is DRS no longer working? A setting in the control panel?

Edit: Huh. Yeah, DSR was off. Guess the Driver update set it to default (off). Let's see how the game performs now. Hopefully no more crashes!

Fired it up for a little bit last night and was impressed with how smooth everything felt. Put everything on the highest settings to see how it'd fair with my 970 and i7 4790k and it worked well. I have to order a long Ethernet cable as my wifi keeps dropping so that'll cause me to not play for a bit.

So far I'm impressed.

Rodin

4670K stock
8GB RAM 2133mhz
Sapphire HD7770 OC 1GB
840evo 250GB+Seagate 1TB

Am i good for 1080p, 30fps, high, fxaa? Should i put the game on the ssd?

viveks86

I thought adaptive vsync lets it run at any fps below 60, but syncs when the fps = 60. Which is the same thing as what I'm seeing, I'll see if running it through the driver helps getting it back to 60 faster like you say.

That is the correct understanding, just that performance is way better with adaptive when framerate is below the limit. Check it out and let me know. The difference was quite significant for me. Same with Crysis 3 as well. Also, do not turn triple buffering on for GTA V. Even though it improves performance in most games, it made it worse with GTA V. First game that I've come across where that happened.

cHinzo

From my understanding, DX11 is a more efficient API, so you'd be better off finding out what those features are and just disabling them in dx11 instead.
I only found those two features greyed out. I guess im gonna try disabling them using DirectX 11 and see what the difference is with 10.1 on the same settings. Thanks!

bj00rn_

Banned
i cant for the life of me get a stable 1080p 60fps without dropping settings to normal and x2 aliasing.

the game doesn't feel optimised at all. even tried capping it at 30fps but it still dips to 15-20fps. updating to the catalyst beta drivers helped but still not great. i've been playing about with settings for the last 8 hours or so. need to take a break. will go back to it tomorrow.

specs are i5-4590/8GB/290. seriously considering getting a refund (if i can). so disappointed as i built my pc for this game.

The game feels very optimized at my end. No problem with 60fps@1080p at somewhat-near-ultra with a 970. Perhaps Nvidia cars are more optimized for this game (I have no idea..)?

IMACOMPUTA

Turn down shadows to High, honestly the difference between High and Very High is not that big. With shadows on High my game runs uncapped at 70-80FPS at 1440p. Everything else is set according to Geforce Experience.
Uh from what I saw the difference between high and very high shadows is dynamic shadows. Which is a HUGE difference.

It's sluggish even with it on.

Getting 60fps with these settings. Doesn't drop at all.

Intel Core i7-4770K
EVGA GeForce GTX 780ti
16GB Ram

It seems turning on MSAA kills my fps the most. Still quite impressed with how optimized it is overall. Haven't played a recent game that runs as smooth as this right off the bat.

I'm running close to the same settings except at 1080p with 4x TXAA, with a slightly slower CPU (3570k). Pretty solid 60 fps, but I may tweak it to get it rock solid. I want to tweak the advanced settings some more, but I'm running up against that memory limit hard.

Another BIG performance hit comes from running PostFX at Ultra. That seems to increase the lighting quality to provide better overall lighting. If you can at all swing it, try Post FX on Ultra!

Performance difference between high/very high is not that high. The OP is a bit misleading in that regard. Shadow options in the advanced graphics options are demanding though, especially high shadow res.

viveks86

I must say, the FPS mode is actually viable right now. I don't know if they've tweaked the lag or it's just the high performance, but driving as well as free-aiming actually feels satisfying now in first person.

wbEMX

Am I the only one having major problems with the download process of this game? Up until the 55GB mark everything went fine with my max download speed (about 1,3MB/s). Now, it just drops to low download rates (about 5-30kB/s) and then completely stops until I restart the download, which happens every 30 seconds. After I restart the DL it goes up to my max DL speed for a few seconds, then it dies again.

This is seriously fucked up. Wish Nuuvem had the Steam version up for sale.

Kayant

DirectX 11
Fullscreen
2560x1440 (DSR downsampled to 1080p)
60Hz

FXAA off
MSAA x4
NVIDIA TXAA on
Vsync on
Pause Game On Focus Loss On

Population Density max
Population Variety max
Distance Scaling max

Texture Quality very high
Shader Quality very high
Shadow Quality high
Reflection Quality very high
Reflection MSAA x4
Water Quality very high
Particles Quality very high
Grass Quality Ultra
Soft Shadows Nvidia PCSS

Post FX Ultra
Motion Blur Strength 2 notches
In-Game Depth of Field Effects on
Anisotropic Filtering x16
Ambient Occlusion high
Tesselation very high

Long shadows off
High Resolution Shadows off
High Detail Streaming While Flying on
Extended Distance Scaling 3 notches
Extended Shadows Distance (disabled)

Played the prologue yesterday. In the beginning scene was getting 55-60fps. Lowest I remember seeing throughout the play through was about 42fps.

i5 4690k @4.5Ghz
GTX 970

This game sure loves it's Vram was hitting 3.5+ at times. Going to optimize to try get solid 60fps.

ss_lemonade

Fullscreen seems to give me like 5 - 10fps more over borderless fullscreen. Never knew there was a difference between the 2 because I always used borderless whenever I could.
Any benchmarks for a 780 at 1440p?

I'm really hoping I can play this at decent settings, it certainly will influence how soon I but it.

780 user here but I haven't tried 1440p yet. I only played for a bit after the prologue but you could pretty much hit 60 and above with a good mix of max and high settings at 1080p.

laxu

To get ReShade+SweetFx working:

• Copy SweetFx folder and SweetFx.fx to game folder
  • Copy ReShade64.dll to game folder and rename it to d3d11.dll
  • Start game. That gives you SMAA and sharpening filter, edit SweetFx_settings.txt to change.

The intro movie stutters like mad when ReShade is enabled but once you get into the game it works like a charm. Now the game looks so much clearer and runs snappy.

Shahadan

I get stuttering at random and it's annoying the hell out of me. I can't find the cause either, as I have lowered almost everything in the settings and it's still there.

Philtastic

i cant for the life of me get a stable 1080p 60fps without dropping settings to normal and x2 aliasing.

the game doesn't feel optimised at all. even tried capping it at 30fps but it still dips to 15-20fps. updating to the catalyst beta drivers helped but still not great. i've been playing about with settings for the last 8 hours or so. need to take a break. will go back to it tomorrow.

specs are i5-4590/8GB/290. seriously considering getting a refund (if i can). so disappointed as i built my pc for this game.

The game is very well optimized. Something sounds mighty wrong there. On a clean install of the latest Catalyst drivers? Did you download the game off Steam or RSC?

Also check to make sure all the advanced settings are set to off/lowest before tweaking anything else.

well considering it's much more powerful than a 660 which is the recommended gpu for 1080p 60fps high...i was expecting a bit better than that.

You have MSAA on. That's really expensive. Try these settings that I use on my 280x:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=160040581&highlight=#post160040581

styl3s

you bring up the rivatuner statistics server, which should be in your windows tray next to the clock, it looks like this
fhmbw92.png

and then when you open it it looks like this.

78fqYZu.png

0 equals unlimited, and you can also set the application detection level to none, if you want to disable the limiter and OSD entirely.
Thanks! i got it all worked out.

I still get this choppy look from time to time gonna fiddle with some settings but that could also just be the lag from online.

Seanspeed

Banned
To get ReShade+SweetFx working:

• Copy SweetFx folder and SweetFx.fx to game folder
  • Copy ReShade64.dll to game folder and rename it to d3d11.dll
  • Start game. That gives you SMAA and sharpening filter, edit SweetFx_settings.txt to change.

The intro movie stutters like mad when ReShade is enabled but once you get into the game it works like a charm. Now the game looks so much clearer and runs snappy.
Yea, I'll be doing this tonight.

Along with using driver vsync rather than in-game.

Hopefully that gets me the last of the way towards my ideal setup.

Fullscreen seems to give me like 5 - 10fps more over borderless fullscreen. Never knew there was a difference between the 2 because I always used borderless whenever I could.
Oh yea. Better performance is pretty much the reason behind a proper fullscreen option.

Kezen

Banned

What are your settings ? Don't overestimate what your hardware is capable of.

LilJoka

That is the correct understanding, just that performance is way better with adaptive when framerate is below the limit. Check it out and let me know. The difference was quite significant for me. Same with Crysis 3 as well. Also, do not turn triple buffering on for GTA V. Even though it improves performance in most games, it made it worse with GTA V. First game that I've come across where that happened.

Thanks for the info, I'll try it and let you know.

Trying to install the game from the disks but I keep getting a 'feature transfer' error which just exits the installer. Did it on the 6th disk at first and did it on the 3rd just a second ago :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone know why I'm getting this pixelated shit in the bottom right?>

My video card isn't dying, and its the only game that does it.

Something from an Ubisoft open-world game is trying to infiltrate the world of GTAV.

What are your settings ? Don't overestimate what your hardware is capable of.

He has a 4GB 290, he should be getting better performance at 1080p than dips to 15-20fps on Normal settings. Something is up, either with his config or the AMD drivers.

blly I'm assuming you aren't running an overclock on the CPU right? Also what temperatures are you getting on your GPU while in game?

I would hazard a guess that you should be able to do at least High/Very High at 1080p with FXAA instead of MSAA at or near 60fps. If not its probably drivers.

Smokey

Resolution - 4k

FXAA Off
MSAA 4x
TXAA ON

Population Density - Max
Population Variety - Max
Distance Scaling - Max

Texture Quality - Very High
Shader Quality - Very High
Shadow Quality - Very High
Reflection Quality - Very High
Reflection MSAA - 8x

Water Quality - Very High
Particles Quality - Very High
Grass - Ultra
Soft Shadows - NVIDIA PCSS
Post FX - Ultra
AF - 16x
Ambient Occlusion - High
Tessellation - Very High

Long Shadows - On
High Resolution Shadows - On

Extended Distance Scaling - On
Extended Shadows Distance - On

With these settings last night on stock clocks on my Titan X's, I got the following:

xXkhImz.png

Played for about a hour today. Completed Father/Son mission which involves a fair amount of driving around, and I got these numbers today with an overclock:

oJevawC.png

Right at 60fps. 11 fps gain from my OC. Again this is with 4x MSAA, TXAA, 4k and max everything else. Pretty amazing and it looks incredible.

With these settings last night on stock clocks on my Titan X's, I got the following:

xXkhImz.png

Played for about a hour today. Completed Father/Son mission which involves a fair amount of driving around, and I got these numbers today with an overclock:

oJevawC.png

Right at 60fps. 11 fps gain from my OC. Again this is with 4x MSAA, TXAA, 4k and max everything else. Pretty amazing and it looks incredible.

Are you using MFAA? You could increase image quality or drop MSAA samples accordingly with it on (save more performance)

Is the benchmark test broken? I tried running it and it loaded the opening of the game, then cut to a few scenes for the benchmark, then cut to a jet that I was controlling and game me a mission failed screen...?

edit: should have read above, never mind

Top Bottom