View Single Post
Feep
Second-hand Citizen
(07-27-2009, 10:18 AM)
Sorry for the delay, everyone. No real internet access at Comic-Con.

First off, and this sucks: Scribblenauts was almost impossible to play at Comic-Con. Not for the good reason of 120,000 excited con-goers wanting to play it, but for the crappy reason that any time the Warner Bros. booth held any kind of event or signing, they would rope off the area and not allow anyone inside. Starting Thursday afternoon, the booth was pretty much running continuous signings and it was almost consistently the most intensely crowded area of the show floor. I had to con my ass off by saying I worked for fucking IGN (took out a pen and notepad to seem official) just to get in for some playtime. :lol

I tried out many of the things GAFfers requested.

God vs. Atheists This one's great. If God is on screen when the atheist is summoned, the atheist will quickly bow twice to God before running away, screaming.

Hwacha Not in-game.

Catgirl Not in-game.

Fanboy and Fangirl Both in-game separately, but sadly, did not seem to interact together in any unusual way.

Post Two One Seven Spawns a banner-type object containing a shrunken version of the official art that Edison Yan drew to commemorate Post 217. Jackson, I'm honored.

Necromancer Spawns, surprise, a necromancer. I'm a little unsure of what happened next; I had already spawned a politician, and one of two things occurred: either the necromancer directly transformed the politician into a green zombie, or the necromancer summoned a zombie who then bit the politician, and therefore turned the politician into a green zombie.

Zonkey It's in there! A docile animal. I also tried Liger, and of course, one appeared...but unlike the Zonkey, the Liger was a huge asshole. It killed the poor Zonkey and then came after me. :lol

Portal Gun Worked, and fired...something...but it did not appear to be a portal, and left no lasting mark on the terrain. I was running out of time here, so I performed no further testing. I also tried Portal, which works, and will eventually spawn a random creepy (I got a demon, a gargoyle, and an alien through separate portals). You cannot use them as in the game Portal, however, which would pretty much break the game difficulty.

Baking a Cake I summoned a bowl, and then proceeded to fill the bowl with egg, flour, sugar, and milk. I then summoned an oven, and put the bowl in the oven, and waited a few seconds...but unfortunately, the items did not combine to form a cake. (In fact, for a moment I thought they HAD, but the game actually spawns a cake when you type in "sugar", and nothing had changed). This isn't terribly surprising; 5th Cell can't program in an insane number of recipes for a single object like oven...but to be fair, I didn't have time to try simpler recipes (something like egg -> omelet, or whatever).

Celebrity I spawned a celebrity and then a reporter, but the reporter made no effort to chase her. I then summoned a paparazzi, and not only did the paparazzi start to chase the celebrity (who was running away screaming), the reporter actually JOINED IN the chase once the paparazzi got it started. I guess he thought, "Oh, man, there might be something newsworthy over here!" :lol

An Hero Yup.

Nuclear Fission Not in-game, though in retrospect, perhaps I should have tried just "Fission".

Zombie + Brain What'd you expect? Of course this works. Brains are delicious anyway.

Other Things
- This was the recent press build of the game, I assume. Only around 10% of the stages were unlocked for play, but interestingly, they did not seem to follow any particular order of difficulty. The single stages available in Worlds 9 and 10 were quite simple, but World 1-11 (involving a switch and a bunch of spikes) was quite difficult. I'm proud of the solution I worked out, though. = D

- The word "Up" spawns a strange, mechanical-looking box (which also spawns if you type "Give Up"). I was unable to discern what it was, and it seemed to have no useful function. "Down" does not work.

- I wouldn't worry too much about the item limit. At no point did I hit the cap, or really feel like I needed to pay too much attention to it. Just be sure to clean up after yourself and you'll be fine.

- I also found...something else. Or rather, I was talking with an entertainment journalist the next day who was quite familiar with the game, and she told me something extremely interesting. I hung out with her quite a bit; she bought me an authentic Afghan meal for dinner.

I want to reiterate that this is an extremely unsubstantiated rumor about a late-game unlockable that I came across, hearsay, from a woman who I had never met before, ever. And she was a little weird. Not, like, really weird, but just a little off-putting. Jackson, if you want me to remove this information, please let me know immediately via either this thread or Private Message.

She claims that there is some kind of hyper-advanced mode, whereby you can only use an item once per GAME. As in, you need to beat all 220 levels and not use a single item more than once throughout the entire run.

I really hope it's true, because that's goddamn awesome right there.

Bonus: Here's me, as Voldemort. Yeah.