• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus E3 2015

PulseONE

Summer Lesson is disgusting. Instead, they should make a boy version. Make him wear shorts, it's summer.

giphy.gif

This may sound like a perfectly practical thing to do, and something that would have worked well for Move games on the TV, but in virtual reality, moving your hands around and seeing that in the VR space, then pushing your thumb around to make your feet move you around in the same VR space would likely break the experience...

Best to use Move controllers for "rail" or stationary type experiences.

I can certainly see that being the case. We'll see.

Mihos

Gold Member
This may sound like a perfectly practical thing to do, and something that would have worked well for Move games on the TV, but in virtual reality, moving your hands around and seeing that in the VR space, then pushing your thumb around to make your feet move you around in the same VR space would likely break the experience...

Best to use Move controllers for "rail" or stationary type experiences.

You can do electric wheelchair type games pretty well also, as long as you do the movement right. Mech warrior type with a cockpit could work also

A racing wheel on the other hand... pure awesome

hesido

A fair bit of talk about Morpheus in this Shuhei Yoshida interview with Engadget:

What is striking is that, the TV view will not be confined to mirror mode, so PS4's would actually output two separate views, one for the TV and one (actually, two) for the HMD, over a single HDMI cable. I guess they'd need to utilize higher than HMD resolutions for this to happen, the breakout box would trim the second screen portion and send it to the TV, instead of getting a single view and re-construct it.

Ben Carmichael ‏@thattechbloke 11m11 minutes ago

Tried @PlayStationNZ #ProjectMorpheus and it is VERY impressive and super comfortable

Those Gamers ‏@thosegamerz 10m10 minutes ago

#ProjectMorpheus is VERY impressive

HORRORSHØW

i'm aboard the VR train. they just need to make it financially feasible as a commercial product. the price barrier will ultimately decide if this is a success or a niche product like the move.

PulseONE

I need more videos of these games in action, it's getting me so excited hearing all these positive impressions D:

Man

Can it maintain a lively community?
It seems to be the only VR title announced so far to tackle fast-paced FPS MP combat in such a way that's not making anyone sick.
Also: Technically capable 1st party studio making it with significant budget behind it (a rarity in VR development currently).

This is destined to become the poster child of the Project Morpheus launch.

What's kinda cool is that they are making it for all ages: It's robot destruction, it's super colorful, it has a sports theme etc.

Blanquito

Wow! That's great to hear that they're making a VR 'wrapper' for the OS.
One of the most annoying things about PS Move on PS3 (versus Wii) was that the Move wasn't really used before one had booted up the game. What Sony is promising here then is a seamless VR experience from boot to shut-down. :)

Wait a second, Morpheus can display something different on the TV and on the headset? This is great news! Has anyone made a thread yet?

Soi-Fong

It seems to be the only VR title announced so far to tackle fast-paced FPS MP combat in such a way that's not making anyone sick.
Also: Technically capable 1st party studio making it with significant budget behind it (a rarity in VR development currently).

This is destined to become the poster child of the Project Morpheus launch.

What's kinda cool is that they are making it for all ages: It's robot destruction, it's super colorful, it has a sports theme etc.

You fool.. The poster child of Morpheus will be the one and only amazing Waifu Simulator, Summer Lesson.

Wait a second, Morpheus can display something different on the TV and on the headset? This is great news! Has anyone made a thread yet?
This has been known since at least the Playstation Experience in December when Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes was shown. It definitely introduces a lot of interesting multiplayer possibilities. I'd like to see something like Affordable Space Adventures where one player is a spaceship pilot and another player has to manage thrust, heat levels and other things.

Soi-Fong

Rigs is coming up next on IGN Live: http://www.ign.com/events/e3

A little bit over an hour till it comes up it seems like.

This has been known since at least the Playstation Experience in December when Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes was shown.

I actually played Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes in a local VR meetup here in Chicago. Was a complete blast and the tension builds as the seconds counts down. It was awesome.

Melon Husk

A fair bit of talk about Morpheus in this Shuhei Yoshida interview with Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/an-intimate-chat-with-sony-playstation-shuhei-yoshida/

Are there other beloved cult titles we can expect to see Sony boost in terms of crowdfunding?

I don't know. Gio Corsi [director of third-party production and developer relations] is the guy working on that.

(Sony PlayStation PR: They're building a list.)

Well then. Start drafting a wish list.

"Next up is the system software guys. They have to make sure the integration is seamless. We're not showing the OS side of [Morpheus]. But the team is working hard on that. That's going to come out later, before the launch."
Excellent. I was a little concerned about that. This means that not only will you not need to flip the visor up to be able to interact with the OS, being able to use the OS entirely in Morpheus means that you can have a stand-alone rig — with no TV at all — for LAN play, kiosks, etc.

I would *love* if you could play any PS4 game on a virtual TV,mbut I don't know if there is enough reserved power of the OS side to handle that.
My guess would be no.

Wow! That's great to hear that they're making a VR 'wrapper' for the OS.
One of the most annoying things about PS Move on PS3 (versus Wii) was that the Move wasn't really used before one had booted up the game. What Sony is promising here then is a seamless VR experience from boot to shut-down. :)
You can navigate the XMB with a wand. Hold the trigger to grab, then just swipe to navigate. Use the Move button to select stuff (IIRC; you might use X instead/additionally).

What is striking is that, the TV view will not be confined to mirror mode, so PS4's would actually output two separate views, one for the TV and one (actually, two) for the HMD, over a single HDMI cable. I guess they'd need to utilize higher than HMD resolutions for this to happen, the breakout box would trim the second screen portion and send it to the TV, instead of getting a single view and re-construct it.
Holy crap. That's pretty fucking huge. I had no idea Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes was doing that. That opens up a multitude of possibilities for the Social Screen.

Also, it sounds like the game they were playing here is called Monster Escape.

On Monday, at the press conference, you guys talked briefly about making Morpheus social. And there's been a lot of talk that the barrier to VR, even though we've overcome things technically, is making that a social experience because it's very isolating. So can you elaborate on that? How are you going to do that?
So from the get-go, what we pride ourselves on is [that] we're a hardware company and also a software company. So the Worldwide Studios teams are heavily involved in the system development itself. And I spend lots of time joining the meetings with the hardware guys and debating the technical issues and design issues. So one of the things our games teams suggested and our hardware guys agreed to implement is for PS4 game developers [to] be able to render two different screens at the same time: one for Morpheus and one for TV. So what you are going to try and see at this E3? Japan Studio has made a new demo called Monster Escape. So that's a five-player game; one versus four. One being the person wearing Morpheus. And if you're in Morpheus, you become the Monster. And the four people holding the DualShock and looking at the TV and playing the game like a regular game [are] against the monster. The only difference is that the Monster is played by you. So in your view, you look down and there are four small robots running around and trying to shoot and throw something at you. ... So that's the gameplay. So that's how we came up with the tool for game developers to create social experiences.

I need to find some impressions of this.

DavidDesu

I'm so positive about the future here. Sony are gonna catch a lot of people out with this. I'm amazed Microsoft are not pursuing true VR on the Xbox...

Rigs looks awesome and as others have said I love the artstyle and the lightness of it. Even Headmaster looks like great fun. Impressions about Morpheus sound very good indeed and I'm surprised about talk of there being a really minimal screen door effect and it having such a good screen.

As for the OS, my dream would be that Morpheus has its own take on the PS4 OS and you can do everything via VR, playing games and apps in a virtual cinema environment. There's plenty of RAM left over for the OS and some processor time left (isn't there at least a core left for the OS?) plus remember the box sitting between the Morpheus and the PS4 has some kind of processing power to it which could help. Putting the HDMI feed on a virtual cinema screen should really not be all that intensive, mobile phones have working virtual cinema apps so then overhead isn't huge. If they pull that off I'll be so happy. House of Cards on my own virtual IMAX...

Man

Virtual Cinemas is one of those subtle killer-app(s) of Virtual Reality.

My first 'holy shit... I'm Feeling It!" moment with the Oculus DK1 back in April 2013 was VR Cinema.
It's a total escape. Frankly I think the cinema screen quality is quite serviceable on the 1080p DK2 (think DVD).

Top Bottom