• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm bored of my board games

Status
Not open for further replies.
nbzn2t.jpg

ALOT of fun after a few drinks

Here's a database of essentially every board game, ever, sorted based upon the ranking calculated from user ratings:

http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

We've also got a big topic where several of us post very regularly, and give reviews/impressions of board games and such: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226969

If you're looking to "gateway" into more strategic and interesting-for-adults board games, Ticket To Ride, Dominion, and Settlers of Catan all make great starts.

EDIT: Oh, hi Xia

jtb

Banned
Balderdash is just plain awesome, but, I'm suprised nobody has suggested the absolute best board game of all time:

Diplomacy. Everything about this game is awesome, the only drawback is that it is a bit of a challenge getting 7 people to play all at once. Still, it is a ton of fun, quite different from the board games you have listed (especially risk, because there is NO luck involved, practically). Very strategy oriented and lots of backstabbing. :D

Plus, it's JFK and Kissinger's favorite board game.

clav

ClosingADoor said:
Settlers of Catan is what it's called in English I think, great fun :D
Seconded. Get the expansion pack for 5-6 players also. Play it with the correct rules, and you'll have a good time. It's amazing how many people do not know the rules to Catan. I've played versions where people: 1. Pick up two resources in the beginning on each settlement placed 2. Use the robber to harass people to give them cards. (Give me 5 cards if I don't put the robber on you.) 3. Do not play with the 123456-654321 settlement placement choice. 4. Do not play with the right set of #s. They don't even know why the #s have letters on them. 5. Play multiple development cards. THESE RULES ARE WRONG!

Man, some people shouldn't be allowed to play board games. They are so dumb.

If you want a card game, get Bang + the expansion pack. You can buy both in a set called the Bang Bullet Pack. The game is basically like Mafia except with cards.

Case Blue seems like a good starter game! :lol

pic273432_md.jpg

(not me!)

In all seriousness though:

Dominions or some other eurogame if you want something that can be played pretty quickly and is accessible to a lot of people.
Conflict of Heroes if you want something with war/combat but still want to keep it accessible.
Combat Commander: Europe if you want something with war/combat that's less gamey than CoH but still plays fast and is highly interactive.
ASL Starter Kit if you have a friend and want the most complex and awesome simulation of a WW2 movie ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom