• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Gameplay Footage. Spoilers within, click accordingly.

careful

I'm good with two map packs. It'll give me the opportunity to play other games than COD6.
I think this is IW having pity on other developers and tossing them a bone. ;)

Rapping Granny said:
Yeah but that $5 is going to be $10 for them when MW2 comes out.

/sigh...Yea the only reason I reserved it was because he told me about the beta code and that I will more than likely pick this up at mid night. Normally I just wait until the day it comes out and pick it up at Best Buy or Wal-Mart. If I don't get a beta code I'm not gonna cry, but it would be cool to try it out.

I wonder if they will include any MW1 maps in MW2. It would be epic if they did it SOCOM II style and had ALL of the originals maps in the sequel.

CcrooK said:
That doesn't make sense. You give them five in cash. Cancel. You get five in cash back.

He's talking about with preorders they take your money and use it up until the game comes out. So your $5 to them is worth more than $5 dollars potentially.

Also I referenced this earlier but might as well have an actual link for it.

Activision have been around for a long, long time. Longer than pre-orders have. So when Activision come out and say that Modern Warfare 2 has more of them than any other game in company history, that's a lot.

That's more than any previous Guitar Hero game. More than any previous Call of Duty game. More than any...Pitfall game. Seeing as the last Modern Warfare game has already sold around 14 million copies, that has this one on track to sell, well, around that many again. Maybe even more. Which is an awful lot of copies.

The news was disclosed as part of Activision's earnings results today, along with the announcement that there are two downloadable map packs planned for the game.

Speaking of pre-orders, Activision also revealed that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 sits at #5 on Activision's all-time pre-order chart. Not as impressive a statistic as Modern Warfare's, but then it does show that the game's not flying under as many people's radars as we'd first thought.

http://kotaku.com/5331031/modern-warfare-2-marvel-ultimate-alliance-breaking-pre+order-records

Kibbles

According to Activision Community Manager Robert Bowling, this edition is something that we will not be seeing in the store months after the launch. “We’ve already been asked by retailers to up the production numbers due to demand, which we immediately denied,” Bowling said.
Oh bullshit, you know how much moeny they are making off the PE? :lol Yeah, truly limited. Just like the Halo 3 LE was yeah?

As sort of expected fourzerotwo clarified the potential map pack situation.

Earlier today I wrote a story about how Activision stated in their conference call that there will be two map packs released as DLC for "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2". Said Mike Griffith, Activision Publishing CEO, "We plan to launch two separate map packs for this title. Map packs help extend the shelf life of the franchise, as evidence by the strong catalog sales and premium pricing that we maintained a year and a half after launch."

Certainly makes it sounds like two map packs is all they're planning, right? Well apparently Infinity Ward isn't ruling out the possibility of more. Robert Bowling, Infinity Ward's Community Manager, sent an email to MTV Multiplayer with their DLC outlook for the game:

"As far as DLC goes, we love it and plan to support 'Modern Warfare 2' heavily with post-launch support. We’ve confirmed we’ll be doing AT LEAST two map packs which were announced at E3 as a timed exclusive for Xbox 360. The fact that we confirmed at least two map packs doesn’t mean there won’t be more; honestly we plan on shaping our DLC based on community feedback from the full game, and first two DLC map packs. Therefore, the community will really determine what comes after that."

Sounds like "Modern Warfare 2" will be a much more give-and-take experience with the fans, and that it'll be up to them what sort of content should be released. Quite a shift from the first game, which really just had the one map pack.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009...-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-map-packs-possible/

Gomu Gomu said:
I hate post release map DLCs -_-.

I'm the exact opposite. I never care about "splintering the community" and post map releases for me brings fresh energy to the game. Different maps helps create the different gameplay experiences that I like and keep me playing.

I'm someone who is generally against adding new perks or weapons after the initial release but new maps I'm all for. Along with balance adjusting.

Gomu Gomu

bluescreenoflife said:
As opposed to pre-release?
what? Not sure if this is a joke post though.

Stoney Mason said:
I'm the exact opposite. I never care about "splintering the community" and post map releases for me brings fresh energy to the game. Different maps helps create the different gameplay experiences that I like and keep me playing.

I'm someone who is generally against adding new perks or weapons after the initial release but new maps I'm all for. Along with balance adjusting.

This was problem I had with Halo 3 & COD4. When the new maps came, half of my friends in my friends list didn't get them. Which was pretty bad.

Gomu Gomu said:
This was problem I had with Halo 3 & COD4. When the new maps came, half of my friends in my friends list didn't get them. Which was pretty bad.

Most of the people I play with regularly are serious enough to get map packs and if they aren't I can always just delete the map pack and re-download it later if I want to play with the base maps.

Gomu Gomu said:
what? Not sure if this is a joke post though.
I was joking that yeah, you could have just said you don't like "maps as DLC" period, because "pre release" is kind of redundant. I wasn't very funny though.

It's a sticky situation. The only time ever that I was completely convinced that map packs were unplanned during actual game production and then conceived later as a new project was for all the map DLC for Halo 2. I knew for a fact that they barely got that game done and had a date set in stone for longer than they had been working with a finished plan for the game. With games nowadays you can tell that they roadmap out when they are going to start working on DLC maps because it's in the "business strategy" but in that case it's frustratingly pointless because if you have plans for maps while the game still hasn't gone gold then you should put them in the retail product.

No_Style

Gomu Gomu said:

Didn't Halo 3 map packs become free after awhile?

Tomcat said:
We need a new video! Come on IW!

They generally do them on Mondays so if you don't get one next Monday you at least know you can skip hoping for the rest of the week. :D

It was two weeks from the unboxing video to the multiplayer video so although that doesn't mean anything at all most likely, two more weeks would be next Monday.

DoomGyver

fourzerotwo posted on the xbox.com forums several days ago and said that modded controllers will be addressed in MW2.

I can't give a link right now bc the iw forums just went down.

Eric WK

Stoney Mason said:
They generally do them on Mondays so if you don't get one next Monday you at least know you can skip hoping for the rest of the week. :D

It was two weeks from the unboxing video to the multiplayer video so although that doesn't mean anything at all most likely, two more weeks would be next Monday.

I'm not sure that that's entirely accurate. I mean, it very well could be but what's your sample size? Two videos?

During the lead up to Call of Duty 4, they released weekly videos and they weren't always on the same day of the week. That doesn't really mean anything, but neither does the fact that the unboxing video and multi video both came on Mondays. I guess we'll see.

Full Recovery said:
fourzerotwo posted on the xbox.com forums several days ago and said that modded controllers will be addressed in MW2.

I haven't played much of the game in the last 6 months, were there many other different problems with modded controllers besides making the pistols and G3 fully automatic with rapid fire? Those were all I encountered (I'm not saying that isn't bad enough as it is).

Eric WK said:
I'm not sure that that's entirely accurate. I mean, it very well could be but what's your sample size? Two videos?

During the lead up to Call of Duty 4, they released weekly videos and they weren't always on the same day of the week. That doesn't really mean anything, but neither does the fact that the unboxing video and multi video both came on Mondays. I guess we'll see.

Oh I agree. There is certainly no guarantee we will get a new video Monday. I just was pointing out their pattern so far although I completely agree there really isn't enough data there to form a pattern. ;)

Eric WK

Stoney Mason said:
Oh I agree. There is certainly no guarantee we will get a new video Monday. I just was pointing out their pattern so far although I completely agree there really isn't enough data there to form a pattern. ;)

I want one now! :(

Seriously, I'm pretty close to infuriated that we know next to nothing about multiplayer.

Eric WK said:

Seriously, I'm pretty close to infuriated that we know next to nothing about multiplayer.

I'm fine about it. I'm sure we will get lots of info as we get closer and I'm the sort of gamer who kinda doesn't like to know each and every detail of a game before I pick it up. (Although obviously I want to know more than we know currently). For me I guess my experience with COD 4 was different. I came in not knowing anything and only really bought the game off of good impressions so it was all new to me when I first started. I sort of carried over that attitude to MW 2.

Full Recovery said:

Heh, my brother always gets abuse for using a modded controller. Thing is he doesn't even have one, nor has modified the one he has. He can just fire really fast :lol

Eric WK

Stoney Mason said:
I'm fine about it. I'm sure we will get lots of info as we get closer and I'm the sort of gamer who kinda doesn't like to know each and every detail of a game before I pick it up. (Although obviously I want to know more than we know currently). For me I guess my experience with COD 4 was different. I came in not knowing anything and only really bought the game off of good impressions so it was all new to me when I first started. I sort of carried over that attitude to MW 2.

Yeah, I just want to know simple things, though. Gameplay improvements, playlist/game mode changes, rank/prestige changes, leaderboard improvements.

Would love a lot of surprises in terms of maps/weapons/equipment, etc., although a beta would reveal just about everything but maps.

DoomGyver

Eric WK said:

IW doesn't want to blow their load too soon. Marketing marketing marketing!!!

I hate it too, just give us some freakin details!
mario ate my burger said:
Heh, my brother always gets abuse for using a modded controller. Thing is he doesn't even have one, nor has modified the one he has. He can just fire really fast :lol
Yeah it happens to a lot of people, especially if you own people with an M14 or G3.

M14 is my fav.

Give me an mk 14 mod0 EBR stock (like the one in the e3 demo) for multiplayer! IW!

Eric WK said:
Yeah, I just want to know simple things, though. Gameplay improvements, playlist/game mode changes, rank/prestige changes, leaderboard improvements.

Would love a lot of surprises in terms of maps/weapons/equipment, etc., although a beta would reveal just about everything but maps.

Oh I fully agree. Although honestly most of the stuff I'm more interested in will just be a feel thing. It will take me playing to sort of get the information I want which is why I want a beta.

But it's pretty clear they will do a slow build all the way up until release because they know they can. It's a captive audience this go around. :(

We'll eventually get all the information. Just later rather than sooner this go around.

DoomGyver

http://thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/50-cent-visits-infinity-ward
50 Cent visited Infinity Ward yesterday. They are the creators of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
This game is slated to be the biggest game release ever on 11-10-09.
50 was cast as The Multi-Player Voice.
30bk1tg.jpg

SMH

DoomGyver

Stoney Mason said:
50 is a big call of duty fan. This isn't the first story I've seen with him and COD. I'm sure he's one voice among many for the soliders although if we hear a character mumbling we'll know which one is him :D
"I need a credit card! Epps, where's your wallet?"
Sergeant Epps:"Pocket!"
Captain Lennox:"Which pocket?"
Sergeant Epps:"My back pocket!"
Captain Lennox:"You got ten back pockets!"
Sergeant Epps:

"LEFT CHEEK LEFT CHEEK LEFT CHEEK!"

Tomcat said:
You are right i forgot the awesome gary oldman

WaW set the standards too high though.

There will always be WaW/Treyarch haters, but I swear, few gaming experiences were as out of the blue awesome as Gary Oldman exclaiming in a badass russian accent "NO SCOPE! NICE!" after I made a nazi's limbs fly off with my sniper rifle. :D

Full Recovery said:

FUCK YES!

DoomGyver

fourzerotwo said:
:lol

This makes me happy.

Yes - 50 is one of many multiplayer / spec ops squad voices. "Reloading" "Watch your fire" "I'm out!" "Revive me!" sort of deal.
Revive me? Are you trying to tell us you're going to include a medic this go around??
edit: nvm.. he said spec ops..

Top Bottom