• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE Shares Details of Frostbite Engine 2 (DirectX 11 Enabled)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was going to bring a bunch of slides over as jpgs, but they're all just so connected I thought it'd be best if people just checked out the PDF.

PDF: http://s09.idav.ucdavis.edu/talks/04-JAndersson-ParallelFrostbite-Siggraph09.pdf

It seems the first game to use this engine will be Battlefield 3, as Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is still on Frostbyte 1.X.

Here are two slides showing just a little bit, but once again, I highly recommend the PDF if you're interested:

Target Platforms:

25k4xaw.jpg

e1e053.jpg

DICE's Awesome Office:

ekih1.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
Mirror's Edge 2 could use it.
It could, but they're still in the prototyping stages for that as of a few months ago while apparently Battlefield 3 is heavy in development.

RayStorm

op_ivy said:
get the rsc team making a new racer on this!

Absolutely. Or even the old engine, I don't care.

Should have taken my chance when I stood right in front of their office building two weeks ago and barged in to demand it.

CamHostage

cjelly said:
Hopefully this one isn't limited to 24 players.

Having played some of BF 1943 (though not enough, still need to buy,) I'll buy their assessment that this was a choice and not a limitation. Battlefield 3 will be something to look out for, however, as I wonder if they'll try to follow in MAG's footsteps or do something like Star Wars Battlefront 3 was supposed to with interconnected combat arenas.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
CamHostage said:
Having played some of BF 1943 (though not enough, still need to buy,) I'll buy their assessment that this was a choice and not a limitation. Battlefield 3 will be something to look out for, however, as I wonder if they'll try to follow in MAG's footsteps or do something like Star Wars Battlefront 3 was supposed to with interconnected combat arenas.
Then that was a terrible choice, for the map sizes and gametype. Not saying that it couldn't work but the gameplay needed some tweaking to accommodate the smaller team sizes.

welp my top of the line gaming pc won't be able to run bf3 just like how when bf2 came out it crippled almost every one's computers with the min specs :lol

Technosteve said:
welp my top of the line gaming pc won't be able to run bf3 just like how when bf2 came out it crippled almost every one's computers with the min specs :lol

I was still pissing around with 256 of ram when BF2 came out :lol Didnt you need something like 1.5GB to play it smoothly on High ? Low was good enough for me at the time, the game was just that good (and imo a prime example of a game that makes good use of what PC gaming is capable of).

Ogs said:
I was still pissing around with 256 of ram when BF2 came out :lol Didnt you need something like 1.5GB to play it smoothly on High ? Low was good enough for me at the time, the game was just that good (and imo a prime example of a game that makes good use of what PC gaming is capable of).

yup you needed 2 gigs to play the game smoothly, it came out when the standard was 1 gig of ram and that was back in the day when 1 gig cost 100 dollars. Plus it had so many server browser bugs, random crashes sniper bullet lag and no one had mics. I played bf2 for so long too ;_;

Asmodai

Banned
Technosteve said:
yup you needed 2 gigs to play the game smoothly, it came out when the standard was 1 gig of ram and that was back in the day when 1 gig cost 100 dollars. Plus it had so many server browser bugs, random crashes sniper bullet lag and no one had mics. I played bf2 for so long too ;_;

So true. I played BF2 for a couple years off and on, over 250 hours online in it.

And I probably spent more time than that trying to get the damn thing to run smoothly, or run at all. Such an incredibly glitchy and bug ridden game. That was the first sign of PC gaming going downhill to me.

I like how they have to explicitly say: "6 GREAT SPUS!" "The Cell- WE LIKE!". Do you think they feel the desperate need to convince people not to think the Ps3 is playing second fiddle with Frostbite 2 ports? :D

Ogs said:
I had 1GB IIRC and every now and then it'd freeze for a couple of seconds to keep up. :D

Still better than when BF1942 was released and I played at an average of like 18FPS. Don't know how I did it.

In other words, time to upgrade when this is released.

Amir0x

Banned
*mumbles*

please let the destruction be like Red Faction, please let the destruction be like Red Faction, please let the destruction be like Red Faction...

BeeDog

Hey, the workspace picture shows the building where a good friend of mine lives! Gotta love Stockholm, beautiful city.

BeeDog

Seriously, is there a stipulation saying that if you want to release your games on the PS3, you have to praise the Cell processor? :lol Terminal Reality, Bioware, and now DICE.

BeeDog said:
Seriously, is there a stipulation saying that if you want to release your games on the PS3, you have to praise the Cell processor? :lol Terminal Reality, Bioware, and now DICE.

Well it certainly earned itself a reputation early on. Perhaps they really are actually getting used to it, and realising its full potential. As cliche as that sounds.

Seriously, is there a stipulation saying that if you want to release your games on the PS3, you have to praise the Cell processor? Terminal Reality, Bioware, and now DICE.

I've been studying that paper, as well as all the other papers in that course, very interesting We discussed it in a new podcast I'm working on together with some other nice people at Beyond3d (we released a 'public beta' in the forms there :D).

The really interesting thing I got from the training is that DirectX has in fact been holding back development on the PC, where the consoles are offering new inroads into handling graphics, by allowing much better integration of CPU and GPU work.

With GPUs on PCs becoming very much multicore (basically, ATI, NVidia and of coures Larrabee all have over 30 properly programmable cores), a lot of new ways of dealing with graphics are possible. Many games for instance are trying to enhance lighting and reflection by incorporating ray-tracing into the rendering pipeline, etc., something which for instance SPEs and similar cores in the GPUs and Larrabee are much better at than the regular CPUs.

Now, DirectX9 and even to a large extent 10 don't allow for much flexibility in the rendering pipeline. The rendering takes place in a number of stages, which are mostly fixed, and sort of closed. With the consoles, you do not have any of these limitations - you can much more freely mix work from the CPU and GPU. DICE in fact mentions Uncharted as an example where a job on the SPE helps out rendering work on the RSX, and then they'd studied that for a bit, they relealised that this kind of co-operation would be very useful for other stuff as well.

Now, they mention that DirectX11 brings some very big improvements here to the point that the PC may well become first in class in this area. But considering that consoles that have been out since 2005/2006 are the ones that have lead to these new ways of looking at this pipeline, PC fans deploring that their systems aren't being used to their full capacity may do well to direct some of their blame from the consoles to DirectX, and some of the gratitude from DirectX to the consoles. ;)

Tenks

BeeDog said:

Uh, it's an amazing and innovative piece of hardware. I can't wait for this job/task based parallelism to take off and truly have proper multicore utilization.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gragy10 said:
+1 on the border line masochistic RS3 yearn
Judging by Slightly Mad and Criterion making NFS games, I somehow think that's the racing franchise EA is focusing on lately.

Sutanreyu

I'm glad some devs are starting to move towards the "job/task" multithreading scheme. That's been something I've been looking forward to. I hope that becomes the standard for game engines in the future. id's Tech5 also employs the same scheme. :D

Blizzard

Banned
Nirolak said:
DICE's Awesome Office:

ekih1.jpg
What's funny is that I asked a guy who was one of the Mirror's Edge designers if that was his office, jokingly...and apparently it is, but the desk specifically belongs to like, one of the head guys on Battlefield Bad Company. :D

Afrikan

BeeDog said:
Hey, the workspace picture shows the building where a good friend of mine lives! Gotta love Stockholm, beautiful city.

OT.
hmmm... I plan on visiting Stockholm later this year or maybe early next year.....

when is the best time to visit for this native San Franciscan?

I like my weather to be around 65 degrees (18.3 Celsius).

I don't like hot weather...imo, 80 degrees (26.6c) and up........and really cold...imo, 50 degrees (10c) and lower.

Lee N

Membre
Afrikan said:
OT.
hmmm... I plan on visiting Stockholm later this year or maybe early next year.....

when is the best time to visit for this native San Franciscan?

I like my weather to be around 65 degrees (18.3 Celsius).

That'd be around.. now. Mid to late august is usually pretty nice.

Blizzard

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Speaking of custom maps, if DICE keeps to their word then ME2 is going to have a built in map creator.
It had better, especially if it's still using an unreal engine. The whole editor was practically there in the first game, they just didn't turn it on. :(

Top Bottom