• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - October 2009 (Avatar, Tower of Shadow, Dementium II, Sakura Wars)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nintendo Power

Note: This month was suppose to have a cover story about No More Heroes 2 but that fell through for some reason. So instead we get a movie tie-in from Ubisoft!.....

News
-- Rabbids Go Home (DS) is a puzzle platformer with 150 puzzles over 15 levels.
-- THQ plans on making UFC games for the Wii and handhelds according to CEO Brian Farrell
-- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized (DS), developed by n-space, will have building to building tactical combat, vehicular hijinx and six player online.

Previews:

-developed by Ubisoft Montreal
-lots of talk about how this will be the movie game that won’t suck… yeah
-each version is crafted specifically for its platform
-each version tells a different story
-the Wii version is set a few years before the movie
-there will be exclusive features both for Wiimotion plus owners and DSi owners
-the Wii version uses the Jade Engine

Tower of Shadow
-developed by the same guys behind Kororinpa
-3-D objects create 2-D shadows that the controlled shadow guy runs on.
-a fairy shadow that accompies the main character can sometimes change the 3-D environment which will alter how the 2-D shadow plane resembles.
-the art style is inspired by the Miyazaki film, Future Boy Conan
-the player can alter the light source to drastically change the gameplay field
-developers plans on incorporating stage structures, hard modes, various enemies and enhanced abilities to keep the game fresh.
-aiming for a 12 hour playtime but they won’t artificially lengthen the game to reach that

Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
-the largest localization job in NIS America’s history
-Idea Factory is handling the Wii port
-ever spoken line has been recorded with English voices
-the game shares some English casting with Disgaea
-NIS American will be releasing a premium-box version that will come with two disks – one with English voices and the other with Japanese voices.

Dementium II
-improving combat is a big focus
-you can now carry a flashlight and a weapon at the same time
-there are now carryable items like health kits and adrenaline shots
-there is now a Castlevania-like map on the touch screen
-enemies no longer respawn
-another Metroidvania feature is that there are some areas that you can backtrack to when you get new weapons
-the main character’s past self left his future self such helpful notes as “FOR GOD’S SAKE, GET OUT BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE”
-variety is a big theme with the sequel
-new setting such as a harsh winter’s day
-a new simple save system

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010
-motion controls from the last two games have been replaced with more traditional controls
-contains features such as create-a-finishing move, stamina system, individual superstar abilities, and more in-ring actions
-more than 60 characters
-79 match types
-a new feature, the WWE Story Designer, allows the player to create their own wrestling storylines, write the dialogue, cut promos, hold interviews, engage in backstage theatrics, etc.
-like the Wii version, the DS version will ditch touch-screen controls for traditional buttons
-the DS version is being done by TOSE, Wii by Yukes

Interview: Toshihiro Nagoshi
“Ryu Ga Gotoku was successful because we narrowed down the target demographic. We deliberately ignored the global markets, as well as kids and female gamers. This allowed the game to be edgy and compelling in ways it couldn’t have been if we tried to go after all those markets. This was a huge risk, but it was worth the challenge. At the moment, the Japanese video game market is not doing so well. Most titles are pursuing the opposite strategy – trying to recoup high development costs by attempting to expand the market for each title rather than narrowing down and focusing on a specific demographic. Don’t get me wrong; I don’t think this strategy is a mistake. It’s a good thing for games to appeal to consumers in different countries, across generations, and to both men and women. However, I do worry that if everyone follows this strategy, it will reduce the variety of titles in development.”

Reviews
-Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story – 9.5
-NHL 2K10 (Wii) – 8.0
-Cursed Mountain – 7.0
-Muramasa: The Demon Blade – 8.0
-Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga – 4.0
-Fossil Fighters – 8.0
-Bleach: The 3rd Phantom – 4.0
-Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box – 8.0
-The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road – 6.5
-G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Wii) – 5.0
-Spectrobes: Origins – 5.5
-IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey – 4.0

Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story

Pros
-“the best RPG-style Mario adventure ever made”
-“it’s very likely that we’re looking at the 2009 Game of the Year for the Nintendo DS system”
-“one of the most interactive role-playing games available”
-unique minigames
-battle system stays fun and fresh
-plenty of engrossing stat management, exploration and storytelling
-keeps the player engaged
-compelling puzzle solving
-fantastic dialogue

Cons
-the mazelike structure of the world can be a little confusing to navigate especially if you were to try and come back to the game after having not played it for a while.

NHL 2K10

Pros
-one of the most fully featured sports games on the Wii
-robust franchise mode
-many control options
-10 player online mode
-an impressive amount of modes in the package
-satisfying gameplay

Cons
-AI could use some work
-animation is a bit wonky

Cursed Mountain

Pros
-interesting story
-good atmosphere

Cons
-dialog and voice acting could be better
-repetition hurts the game’s scare factor

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Pros
-gorgeous (like a painting come to life!)
-individual stories are compelling

Cons
-gameplay not as deep as it should be
-little variety in attacks
-sword’s individual skills aren’t varied much despite there being over 100 of them
-the game ends up promoting button mashing over combos, even on the higher of the two difficulty levels. However you can’t get away with that as much on the unlockable 3rd difficulty level and some side missions.
-the two playable characters control the same and play through the same areas
-plot can be confusing when it throws names at you without context

Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga

Pros
-has some neat ideas

Cons
-slow pace
-clunky interface
-ugly graphics
-sluggish combat
-dumb AI
-lackluster overall presentation
-world is a drab
-it’s not worth the trouble of playing through the game

Fossil Fighters

Pros
-battle grid allows from some interesting strategy
-great beginning RPG for newcomers

Cons
-story and battle system may be too simplistic for some

Bleach: The 3rd Phantom

Pros
-if you like Bleach you might like the original story

Cons
-to see the story you actually have to play the game
-very slow, very simple turned based combat

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Pros
-more of the same
-new brainteasers that make good use of the touch-screen
-new minigames are a fresh addition

Cons
-the story suffers from that “more of the same”

The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road

Pros
-the bizarre, odd control scheme works
-the game is very accessible

Cons
-the Ai suggestions are often terrible (Fighter go heal, Healer go fight!...?)
-thin story and flat characters
-almost no dialogue
-brief, overly linear quest
-no feeling of discovery or exploration

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Pros
-diverse selection of playable characters

Cons
-the shooting gets repetitive fast
-little variety
-dull level designs
-unpolished visuals
-uneven difficulty
-glitchy action

Spectrobes: Origins

Pros
-excavating spectrobes with the motion controls is oddly compelling

Cons
-bad pacing
-little strategy involved in battles
-simplistic puzzle elements
-by the numbers story

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Pros
-variety of vintage planes

Cons
-virtually impossible to maneuver or engage in combat
-constantly changing and poorly explained objectives

Next Month
-Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
-“a major DSiWare title that should make many of you very, very happy”

JSnake

Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story

Pros
-“the best RPG-style Mario adventure ever made”
-“it’s very likely that we’re looking at the 2009 Game of the Year for the Nintendo DS system”

*convulses*

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
grandjedi6 said:
-NIS American will be releasing a premium-box version that will come with two disks – one with English voices and the other with Japanese voices.
PS2 version for me then. I would've gotten the Wii version to hope for the rest of them since the remake of the first and other games coming out here on PS2 isn't likely after this year, but I doubt Idea Factory can port them properly.

I'm glad they're not cutting corners with the localization, now let's hope they debug the game properly.

Kinda sad about The Wizard of Oz... It sounds like a very linear game with little story and exploration...

Other than that, as someone who liked Mario and Luigi 1, but not really 2, I'm greatly looking forward to 3.

Kifimbo

Why would you do that? said:
Kinda sad about The Wizard of Oz... It sounds like a very linear game with little story and exploration...

I'd wait for more reviews. I'm playing Spectrobes Origins right now and it's not a 5.5 game.

“Ryu Ga Gotoku was successful because we narrowed down the target demographic. We deliberately ignored the global markets, as well as kids and female gamers. This allowed the game to be edgy and compelling in ways it couldn’t have been if we tried to go after all those markets. This was a huge risk, but it was worth the challenge. At the moment, the Japanese video game market is not doing so well. Most titles are pursuing the opposite strategy – trying to recoup high development costs by attempting to expand the market for each title rather than narrowing down and focusing on a specific demographic. Don’t get me wrong; I don’t think this strategy is a mistake. It’s a good thing for games to appeal to consumers in different countries, across generations, and to both men and women. However, I do worry that if everyone follows this strategy, it will reduce the variety of titles in development.”

Yakuza Wii? Why is this in Nintendo Power?

Volcynika

grandjedi6 said:

That's the way to roll, NISA! Too bad their other published games like Gust titles didn't get that treatment, but it's good to see things like that.

Nintendo Power said:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Pros
-gorgeous (like a painting come to life!)
-individual stories are compelling

Cons
-gameplay not as deep as it should be
-little variety in attacks
-sword’s individual skills aren’t varied much despite there being over 100 of them
-the game ends up promoting button mashing over combos, even on the higher of the two difficulty levels. However you can’t get away with that as much on the unlockable 3rd difficulty level and some side missions.
-the two playable characters control the same and play through the same areas
-plot can be confusing when it throws names at you without context

Rental for me then. Hoping it would be as good as Odin Sphere, but it seems that this game has very weak gameplay as I feared.

898 said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Some decent nums nums there.
A little chagrined that Muramasa might have turned out a bit like Odin Sphere in that it might have repetitious padding.

Hopefully the at least got the combat mechanics and inventory management right. Odin Sphere was really weak in that respect.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Not sure I agree with Toshihiro Nagoshi here, but anyway.

I didn't know that Tower of Shadow was being made by the Kororinpa guys. Definitely makes it all the more interesting in my book :D.

grandjedi6

Kifimbo said:
I'd wait for more reviews. I'm playing Spectrobes Origins right now and it's not a 5.5 game.
Well Casey Loe was the reviewer for Wizard of Oz and his other contributions to this issue was the story of Sakura Wars and a preview of Sands of Destruction (yes he used the Japanese title). So I'm not sure your hope will pan out.

898 said:
Nintendo Power does an interview with an industry person every month. This month was Toshihiro Nagoshi and NP asked him a question about the Japanese industry and refered to his success with Yakuza. Hence the answer.

grandjedi6 said:
Tower of Shadow
-developed by the same guys behind KOROMOTHERFUCKINGRINPA
-3-D objects create 2-D shadows that the controlled shadow guy runs on.
-a fairy shadow that accompies the main character can sometimes change the 3-D environment which will alter how the 2-D shadow plane resembles.
-the art style is inspired by the Miyazaki film, Future Boy Conan
-the player can alter the light source to drastically change the gameplay field
-developers plans on incorporating stage structures, hard modes, various enemies and enhanced abilities to keep the game fresh.
-aiming for a 12 hour playtime but they won’t artificially lengthen the game to reach that
*wipes splooge off monitior*

grandjedi6 said:
Shantae confirmed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Pretty cool. Tower of Shadow seems like another Little King's Story for me, something that initially seems mildly interesting but grows increasingly appealing the more I learn about it. Can't wait for M&L.

I so completely agree with the Mario and Luigi review. Best game on the DS by far. Ever. I fucking loved it, and can't wait to play the translated version.

Nessus said:
Metroid Dread would make me very, very happy.
Really? Because I would be super pissed if Metroid Dread was a DSi exclusive instead of a full retail DS game. Thankfully I don't think that's the game they're referring to.

acidviper said:
9.5 for a GOTY.

What have we come to?
I feel like I'd have to know you better as a user to properly interpret this post.

I don't think the DSi title is Dread and I hope it's not Turtles.

Perhaps something like a DSi Animal Crossing (Addon-enabled game with micro payments) :lol

BrandNew said:
I so completely agree with the Mario and Luigi review. Best game on the DS by far. Ever. I fucking loved it, and can't wait to play the translated version.
Good to hear. Haven't played through the previous one but now I'm interested again.

Eh, Partners in Time was very disappointing, but still fun, I guess. If I were you though, I'd just play Superstar Saga and then play the new one.

kiryogi

Banned
“Ryu Ga Gotoku was successful because we narrowed down the target demographic. We deliberately ignored the global markets, as well as kids and female gamers. This allowed the game to be edgy and compelling in ways it couldn’t have been if we tried to go after all those markets. This was a huge risk, but it was worth the challenge."

Preach on! Nagoshi is the fucking man, but yeah it's weird, why a Nagoshi interview in NP and more so why about Ryu Ga?

I think that being a DSiWare title could do Metroid Dread justice. They just have to make sure not to limit it to be less of a game than Super Metroid/Metroid Fusion/Metroid: Zero mission.

BrandNew said:
Welp, you just sold me a copy of Mario and Luigi 3.

Wait... Before I cave in, what do you think of the first two?

Also, for the DSiWare game... I hope it is a Nintendo effort. They need more original games on the service. However, if it isn't, I'd imagine that it would be Wayforward. Maybe even Shantae!

And honestly, they should announce a huge wave of DSiWare titles from their series. Mother, Kirby, Zelda, Pokémon, Metroid, Mario, etc. That they haven't announced anything for Pokémon is insane. :V

grandjedi6

kiryogi said:
Preach on! Nagoshi is the fucking man, but yeah it's weird, why a Nagoshi interview in NP and more so why about Ryu Ga?
They interview an industry every month, it doesn't matter what they're working on. And they also asked questions refering to F-Zero GX and Super Monkey Ball

androvsky

grandjedi6 said:

Man, I hope this works out for them. It'll be tragic if the fifth game is the only one that gets localized.
And it'll be entirely Sega's fault for sitting on the series for this long.

Edit:

The Muramasa score and pros/cons list doesn't really add up.

Yes it does. Listed under pros is the word "gorgeous". You've seen what the game looks like, right?

grandjedi6

Acid08 said:
ivysaur12 said:
That's exactly what I was thinking :lol

Moneyhats?
Well the guy who reviewed Muramasa also had to review Valhalla this month, so I suppose anything would be an 8.0 after that. :lol

Muramasa sounds a lot like Odin Sphere going by those bullet points :/ It looks so damned pretty but so did Odin Sphere and I stopped playing round about the fourth or fifth book and haven't touched it since. I've got the game pre-ordered at the moment but that money could easily be used to buy Uncharted 2 instead.

Also it would be nice to have some sort of epic DSiWare announcement but I'm not getting my hopes up.

donny2112

grandjedi6 said:
-- THQ plans on making UFC games for the Wii and handhelds according to CEO Brian Farrell

Good.

grandjedi6 said:
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010
-motion controls from the last two games have been replaced with more traditional controls

Good. Maybe developers are finally learning like they did with the DS. You can do games without needing to use every feature of the system, and motion controls are generally lacking (Motion+ pending), anyways.

grandjedi6 said:
Wii by Yukes

Great! :)

grandjedi6 said:
Reviews
-Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story – 9.5
-Muramasa: The Demon Blade – 8.0
-Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box – 8.0

Nice.

grandjedi6 said:
-The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road – 6.5

The concept is still interesting, so it'll be interesting to see what over reviews say.

grandjedi6 said:
Next Month

VC (NES/SNES/GB/GBC/GBA)? :D

Flying_Phoenix said:
Rental for me then. Hoping it would be as good as Odin Sphere, but it seems that this game has very weak gameplay as I feared.
Uh, didn't you call dibs on the official thread? A little more enthusiasm please :lol
Acid08 said:
It got the 8.0 because the art alone deserves that score. I really enjoyed the gameplay too but I'm probably not the most impartial judge of the game you could find.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
NP reviews are surprisingly good. I'm quite surprised at the praise for Mario and Luigi. Best one in the series? WOW.

Why would you do that? said:
Welp, you just sold me a copy of Mario and Luigi 3.

Wait... Before I cave in, what do you think of the first two?

Also, for the DSiWare game... I hope it is a Nintendo effort. They need more original games on the service. However, if it isn't, I'd imagine that it would be Wayforward. Maybe even Shantae!

I absolutely loved the first one. Probably my favorite GBA game, when I'm not in a Metroid mood. The first DS game, though, was...okay I guess, it was just really boring and the brothers dynamic was really waning as an interesting game concept halfway through the game. Not to mention the last few hours are unusually impossible for a Mario RPG.

The third one is the best one by far.

Saint Gregory said:
Uh, didn't you call dibs on the official thread? A little more enthusiasm please :lol

Not anymore!

Being honest I don't have much time and money for games anyway so I don't think I'd be up for it. :(

Worst part is in order to see the true final boss you'll probably have to play through both scenarios in Muramasa.

Regardless I'll still buy it, play through it with both characters, and write off Vanillaware for good.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Worst part is in order to see the true final boss you'll probably have to play through both scenarios in Muramasa.

Regardless I'll still buy it, play through it with both characters, and write off Vanillaware for good.
Not probably. There's whole sections of the game, including the true boss and swords, that are blocked off until you beat both scenarios :(

Top Bottom