• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Extraction (Wii - EA/Eurocom) Details, Trailer

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
John Harker said:
Speculating on the philosophy behind greenlighting a title? Does this really sway you're enjoyment of it? Save it for the 'this is another test' thread.

No? It looks good and I want to buy it. I was speculating as people are so quick to lable it as a cash-in, or a title built to primarily exploit the Wii crowd. Maybe it is, but I don't see it as such.

Scrubking

scitek said:
The game wasn't just invented after the original Dead Space was released, which seems to be the belief of some. This game's been in development since early '08, well before EA had any idea how the first would perform, so the notion that EA thought they would cash-in with a quick turnaround or whatever is kinda unfounded considering the first game disappointed them with its initial sales.

Is there hard Proof of this? And by hard proof I mean more than the word of some EA exec which I will never trust or believe ever.

game informer review was better than I expected, even the lower score review mentioned that the story was exceptional and introduced a whole new angle on the core plotline of the original.

I may buy day one instead of waiting for the usual price drop

Thought I'd go ahead and type up the reviews for people to marinate on.

(7-Reiner)

The horror of being hunted in the vacuum of space never quite takes grip in Dead Space: Extraction, a Wii-exclusive prequel to the exceptional Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 space drama. Whether that's due to the perspective switch from third- to first-person, the lack of dynamic lightning, or weaker scripted scares can be debated. One thing is certain: I didn't jump once while playing this game. Without a suspenseful atmosphere, there isn't much to fear, or, conversely, to draw you in.

Dead Space: Extraction runs on rails, pulling the player forward a a scripted pace. Developer Visceral Games did a commendable job of making this experience feel more organic. Shaky cameras constantly distort your field of view, and you can hear your character's labored breathing. As intended, the bobbing camera combined with dancing shadows plays tricks on your eyes, and can lead to a few shots being fired at nothing.

This dynamic viewpoint clashes with the targeting reticle, a gigantic, beach ball-like display that takes up far too much of the screen, hiding the excessive brutality and highest quota of dismemberment per enemy body in any game. If you're playing the game co-op, with two vibrantly colored cursors on screen, you're not going to see much unless an enemy gets on top of you. This another area where the game doesn't retain the charm of its predecessor. Not having to worry about the positioning of your character makes for easier battles. Since the dev team held true to its fiction and hasn't altered the enemies to attack in different ways, their sloth-like assaults are easy to repel.

Storytelling is the only area where Extraction shines, even more so than the original game. The plot implies that other things may be afoot in this universe than players may have thought, and the way this information is doled out - through multiple playable characters - is executed beautifully, especially when you don't know if your character at the time will survive. Several of the story sequences conclude in horrific ways (more than just the chance of a good guy dying), and also connect nicely with the founding tale.

The action doesn't do much for the series, or even the genre for that matter. The pacing is much slower than your typical House of the Dead, and the firefights never feel like a stressful ordeal . Dead Space fans should check it out for the fiction. All other interested parties should look else-where for a suspenseful shooter.

(8.75-Meagan) Second Opinion

A refreshing surprise amongst a sea of unsatisfying Wii adaptations, Dead Space: Extraction's unfaltering intensity and intriguing storyline makes the game worth of the Dead Space moniker. New monsters, weapons, and characters expand upon the groundwork laid by the original thriller, and the realistic execution and pace of gameplay makes it easy to forget that your are on rails. Responsive controls, stellar voice acting, impressive visuals, and noteworthy unlockables make the game's gravitational pull that much stronger.

Minor flaws keep Extraction from making par with its predecessor, most notably the large reticles that obscure the bulk of approaching Necromorphs - making cutting off their limbs more of a gross estimate that a precise task. As with many rail shooters, gameplay is formulaic at times, particularly in the case of boss battles. But Extraction is every bit as creepy as its predecessor - perhaps more so since the game's rails pull you around that corner.

Dead Space: Extraction isn't a simple substitute for those who missed the first iteration. It's a must-play for the fans of the franchise and newcomers alike.

Kevtones

Is Reiner the same guy who reviewed The Conduit for them? Not that his score was terribly off but his review reads like a troll and comes off gamefaqish.

Sipowicz

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
Is Reiner the same guy who reviewed The Conduit for them? Not that his score was terribly off but his review reads like a troll and comes off gamefaqish.

sounds perfectly fair to me, in fact he's echoing a lot of the concerns i had with the game

it'll obviously be a much lower quality game being an outsourced, arcade game spinoff. but issues like the ridiculous cursor, slow pace and lack of atmosphere were always a worry. although the atmosphere couldn't really be helped i guess seeing as it's a lightgun game. it's a shame they didn't rebalance the enemies too but i guess that would have been too much effort and taken too long

still a very good score though. i'll definitely check it out once i can get a second hand copy on the cheap

good graphics, but what the fuck is with the lights in that Brute video? They looks like those fake effects you use to see on the DS. I hope it's just IGN and its shitty video quality

jrricky

Banned
Sipowicz said:
sounds perfectly fair to me, in fact he's echoing a lot of the concerns i had with the game

it'll obviously be a much lower quality game being an outsourced, arcade game spinoff. but issues like the ridiculous cursor, slow pace and lack of atmosphere were always a worry. although the atmosphere couldn't really be helped i guess seeing as it's a lightgun game. it's a shame they didn't rebalance the enemies too but i guess that would have been too much effort and taken too long

still a very good score though. i'll definitely check it out once i can get a second hand copy on the cheap
Wat?

Kevtones

Sipowicz said:

Have you played it?

pakkit

Banned
Razien said:
No it isn't. It is being done by Eurocom, with help of the team that made the original. Still, outsourced.
No it isn't. It's being done by Redwood Shores/Visceral with help from Eurocom.

topramen

I wonder whether this game has the potential to outsell darkside chronicles. I think alot of people were suprised by the face umbrella chronicles didn't suck, and bought it but won't really be interested in more of the same. Now though i think i'm skipping darkside and am going to get this or silent hill for my holiday horror game.

But man, can you imagine if this and UC/DS had been third person horror games? the library could have used it

Anony

highly doubt that, reuc sold over 1mil
re:dc is looking to be a way better game than uc

the main install base for extraction is dead space players who also have a wii -> that is 360/pc users that also have a wii and what percent of that will actually buy it?
where as, you know you've got a potential of at least 2mill re players from re4 gc/wii

I'll be picking this up. Made the shocking discovery last year that my non-gaming gf of 8 years loves co-op, on-rails shooting (HotD games, Ghost Squad, RE:UC, etc) - and now wants to play them with me!

Lenardo

Banned
Anony said:
highly doubt that, reuc sold over 1mil
re:dc is looking to be a way better game than uc

the main install base for extraction is dead space players who also have a wii -> that is 360/pc users that also have a wii and what percent of that will actually buy it?
where as, you know you've got a potential of at least 2mill re players from re4 gc/wii

as of may 2009:

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (1.2 million) according to capcom financials

gabe90

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
I'll be picking this up. Made the shocking discovery last year that my non-gaming gf of 8 years loves co-op, on-rails shooting (HotD games, Ghost Squad, RE:UC, etc) - and now wants to play them with me!
This is the reason I will be picking up either this or RE:DC. I have yet to try this theory out with my wife, but I've heard a lot of similar comments on here and it's definitely worth a shot.

Is UC worth checking out as a test game on the cheap, or will the faults turn her off to the genre in general? She loved the original RE back on the Playstation.

Anony

reuc is good
the only 'fault' is how precise you have to be with the headshots; everyone complained, i mastered it

and here is the thing, it's more critical to get headshots for single player because you want to take the enemies out asap, if you're co-oping, you dont need to rely on headshots because you can rely on each other

Top Bottom