• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JP News 9/15 -- Please insert Blu-Ray Disc 1 and get ready to insert more UMDs, kay

Rpgmonkey

duckroll said:
It seems Last Ranker is indeed the Image Epoch game. It's supposed to be a PSP RPG published by Capcom, produced by the Phoenix Wright guy (isn't he directing Ghost Trick?), directed by Niinou, have character designs by Tatsuya Yoshikawa (BoF artist), scenario by Nojima and music by Shimomura. This really sounds too good to be true, so until I see more proof I'm filing this under rumor.

-_-

Otherwise, sounds cool, and more JRPG domination by portables, oh yeah! :D

duckroll

B.K. said:
Who is Niinou? Is Nojima the Nojima from Square Enix or a different one?

Niinou is the director/creator of Etrian Odyssey and 7th Dragon. It's the same Nojima, he left Square for freelancing years ago.

Thexder Neo will be out on Oct 1st for 1000yen!

Rpgmonkey said:
-_-

Otherwise, sounds cool, and more JRPG domination by portables, oh yeah! :D

Ah but the brilliance of Niinou's games is that they never rely too much on the scenario to be good! :D

EXGN

So how many 360 exclusives have ended up just being timed ones this year?

-TOV
-SO4
-NG2
-Braid
-Castle Crashers

... am I missing anything?

ethelred

Image Epoch's PSP game is a Niinou-directed RPG? I thought it was supposed to be an action game. I wasn't that interested before, but now I certainly am. Niinou is fantastic, and I'm very excited to see what he's doing next.

Shouta said:
That sounds awesome O_O

Hopefully it'll be as awesome as Niinou's other two RPGs.

duckroll

It seems Persona 3 Portable's female MC will have 2 brand new female Social Links. Also, Last Ranker has voice acting, which would be a first for a Niinou game... hmmm...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
It seems Last Ranker is indeed the Image Epoch game. It's supposed to be a PSP RPG published by Capcom, produced by the Phoenix Wright guy (isn't he directing Ghost Trick?), directed by Niinou, have character designs by Tatsuya Yoshikawa (BoF artist), scenario by Nojima and music by Shimomura. This really sounds too good to be true, so until I see more proof I'm filing this under rumor.
OMG Niinou AND Shimomura?!?!?!!!! :eek:

I hope this is true! And that they localize it.

P.S. Yes, Shu Takumi is directing Ghost Trick. :)

duckroll

Next issue:

- Final Fantasy XIII (Sera)
- Ryu ga Gotoku 4 (Story + Cast)
- Bayonetta (new gameplay system)
- MGS Peace Walker (new preview)

B.K.

The Star Ocean 4 International scan shows English subtitles in a cutscene. I wonder if the game has English text and voices?

duckroll

B.K. said:
The Star Ocean 4 International scan shows English subtitles in a cutscene. I wonder if the game has English text and voices?

The game has English and Japanese voices, and the event subtitles and menu text can be changed to French, German, and many other languages as well.

B.K.

duckroll said:
The game has English and Japanese voices, and the event subtitles and menu text can be changed to French, German, and many other languages as well.

Interesting. So there's no reason to wait for an American release then.

eggandI

Banned
B.K. said:
Interesting, if true. That's the closest thing we'll ever get to a Breath of Fire 6. :lol
:(

Pretty much. I'll be keeping an eye on it even though from what google tells me that Niinou guy made those god damn etrian odyssey games.

BoF is dead :|

duckroll

B.K. said:
Interesting. So there's no reason to wait for an American release then.

Sure there is. Most people won't want to pay 80 bucks for a year old game.

Last Ranker's staff is real. There are scans now. It's a 3D game, looks kinda like you expect an Image Epoch 3D game to look, lol.

B.K.

duckroll said:
Sure there is. Most people won't want to pay 80 bucks for a year old game.

Of course, there's always the price. It probably won't take long to bomb. I might import it a couple months after release. I haven't played the 360 version.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
I thought that was last week. Hence I thought it would be in Famitsu this week...

I thought so too, but it seems Famitsu doesn't have an article. Maybe they're holding out for a longer article during/after TGS?

Last Ranker is a fantasy RPG about a guy who becomes a gladiator or something, and wants to achieve No.1 ranking in the world. It looks like the battles are somewhat action based or at least heavily fighting based. Maybe this is what Mikage meant by an "interesting" action based game?

duckroll

Thexder Neo is only coming out for PSP on Oct 1, no word on the PS3 version yet. The graphics are completely redone, and the PSP version features up to 6 players in versus mode, and it supports Infrastructure mode too. 1000yen, PSN Store only.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oh I see, the pic says the producer of Last Ranker is Minae Matsukawa, not Shu Takumi. Minae Matsukawa took over the producer role for Gyakuten Saiban 4 because Inaba left with Mikami and Kamiya, Shu Takumi is working with a different producer on Ghost Trick.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Oh I see, the pic says the producer of Last Ranker is Minae Matsukawa, not Shu Takumi. Minae Matsukawa took over the producer role for Gyakuten Saiban 4 because Inaba left with Mikami and Kamiya, Shu Takumi is working with a different producer on Ghost Trick.

Yes, that's what I said! :lol

I have to wonder though. With Image Epoch having a 3D engine on the PSP now, and the screens looking a lot like how Arc Rise Fantasia looks... I wonder if MMV will consider porting ARF to the PSP or something.

Barakov said:
It's time to see if SO4 is as nearly as atrocious as certain people say it is.

aren't the youtube links that are usually posted enough to convince you? :lol

this whole nier business is kinda dumb. s-e abandoned the western/eastern characters for the last remnant and they should do the same for nier.

duckroll

Wow, Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikda 3D is fucking bullcrap. The "3D" does not stand for "3D graphics" but instead the "3" means it's the third game, and the "D" stands for dungeon. The game pretty much looks identical to the previous 2 games. I really liked the first one, but Sony sure is milking this, and I'm not going to support it in any way whatsoever. :lol

duckroll

So let's see... Last Ranker is going to be the:

- first non-retro style game Niinou makes
- first RPG by Niinou not based on a previously established concept
- first Niinou game with voice acting
- first 3D game by Niinou

Lots of firsts for him. I wonder how this will turn out.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
duckroll said:
Wow, Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikda 3D is fucking bullcrap. The "3D" does not stand for "3D graphics" but instead the "3" means it's the third game, and the "D" stands for dungeon. The game pretty much looks identical to the previous 2 games. I really liked the first one, but Sony sure is milking this, and I'm not going to support it in any way whatsoever. :lol
Ingeniously Deceptive

duckroll

Okay, more Last Ranker details:

- This is a RPG where you aim to be the strongest in the world.

- The world in this game is such that most people in the world are warriors.

- Every warriors has a rank, and if you defeat someone else, your rank goes up, if you lose to someone, your rank goes down. The objective is to be number 1.

- Whether you win or you lose in battles, the story continues and different scenarios are explored.

- The battles in the game are realtime, not command/turn based.

- There is no party in the game, you control only the main character, but you will face multiple opponents at times.

- The game features a weapon customization system.

- There will be vocals in the battle themes. Shimomura is giving it her all!

batbeg

Does it look like it's going to turn out any good? I've gone from hopeful to sure of disaster in like 20 minutes.

Aru

Wait you can change battle targets in SO4 PS3 ? That's a huge improvement ! It's one of the only complains I have about the 360 version. The other one may be that some environments are not that great.

But I'm playing the 360 version these days and will not play again on PS3. Too late SE.

manzo

I started SO4 yesterday and the FIRST cutscene with Reimu and Edge made me facepalm.. Oh joy, what a ride this will be. :lol

Let's see how the 800x500 battle scenes will translate to PS3.

jiggle

Darkpen said:
Bah, Nier concept art only?

Last Ranker sounds awesome, though.

you can see gameplay and cs model in the back

hopefully there'll be a clean scan of ranker later showing the artwork

Top Bottom