• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
fffuuuu the new beta is a major speed boost, although ICO still runs with an annoying wall of fog for me, meh.

jett

D-Member
shieeeet KH2 looks so good in 1080p...too bad nearly no games on the PS2 support 16:9. Runs pretty good, hovering between 55-60fps mostly, my PC probably won't be able to handle it that well once the actual game begins though. :p I almost want to buy a new PC just for last-gen emulators. :p The game actually looks like the bullshots Squeenix put out. In a couple of generations will be able to play today's games at bullshot quality...the ones that don't have a PC port anyway.

51ddag.jpg

xfpafd.jpg

n3vw3t.jpg

Demigod Mac

Septimus said:
Is it possible to get decent results from a MacBook Pro (c2d 2.26ghz 2gb ddr3 ram)? Native on Windows, of course.

Probably nothing more than the 2D games from NIS. I have a 2.8 unibody MBP and it's kind of a toss-up on if a 3D game will run playably. You really need a 3 ghz or above machine to play most games at full speed. Still, it's worth a try.

Unrelated question: Is it possible to get PCSX2 frameskipping to work like a PC game? That is, games running choppy (but playable) instead of in slo-mo.

KillerAJD

Demigod Mac said:
Probably nothing more than the 2D games from NIS. I have a 2.8 unibody MBP and it's kind of a toss-up on if a 3D game will run playably. You really need a 3 ghz or above machine to play most games at full speed. Still, it's worth a try.

Unrelated question: Is it possible to get PCSX2 frameskipping to work like a PC game? That is, games running choppy (but playable) instead of in slo-mo.
Have you tried the speedhacks? I think there is a frames skip in there (or something like it), not positive though.

jett

D-Member
Demigod Mac said:

There is a frameskip option, but it's not recommended as it makes the screen look all jittery and fucked up when the emulators skips a frame.

Chairhome

Finally trying this again and I'm getting some pretty good results. Kingdom Hearts runs almost perfect, and FFXII doesn't run too badly. Does anyone have good results with BOF Dragon Quarter or Rogue Galaxy? The speedhacks help a bit, but I'm wondering if there's another graphics plug in I should try

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
shintoki said:
I'm not exactly sure where I'm supposed to install the bios at it keeps asking for. Bit of help please :lol

When I adjust the folder to the one where the bios is located in. It says plugins then don't work

Here is the problem, I have to config the CDROM. Two don't work, the other two lead me to the screen. Once there I try to load the game. But it keeps saying memory card error, and failed to load plugins
Kinda bump this, could use help :lol

I really wanna play Persona IV

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I did a bit more tinkering with it

The exact errors I'm getting are

Failed to load from memory card from file: memcards/Mcd001.ps2 (002, pops up after that)

The playing screen loads up now

I'm also getting a new error that says, Error creating Bios

I also always says fail to load plug ins on my first attempt, but then loads on the 2nd

ArjanN

shintoki said:

Failed to load from memory card from file: memcards/Mcd001.ps2 (002, pops up after that)

I also always says fail to load plug ins on my first attempt, but then loads on the 2nd

Have you set the correct directories for the bios, plugins and memory card?

Also check the file properties to see if you don't have them set to read only.

shintoki said:

If you are using Vista/Windows 7, try running the emulator as an administrator.

SarBear

Basileus777 said:
If you are using Vista/Windows 7, try running the emulator as an administrator.

Yea, this did the trick for me. Thank you.

^Well, now that I can load a game, as soon as the boot screen finishes i always get an error that says the emu has encountered a problem and closes.

gblues

Banned
SarBear said:
So I loaded this up on my Windows 7 config and here are the errors I have:

1) "Could not load GS Plugin "plugins": <NULL>

.....then after trying to load a game I get this

2) Failed loading memory card from file: memcards\mcd001.ps2
3) cddvdOpenNVM error creating bios\scph39001.NVM

Which leads to a new window opening where the program just hangs. I had this working perfectly on Vista, but on this version of Windows I've been screwed.

I have this setup:

q6600
4 gigs ram
8800gtx

Any idea why I can't get this to run properly?

PCX2 likes to try to write shit into the application directory, And Windows Vista/7 REALLY doesn't like that. Best solution is to copy the C:\Program Files\PCX2 folder to your desktop and run the emulator from there. That worked for me.

SarBear

gblues said:
PCX2 likes to try to write shit into the application directory, And Windows Vista/7 REALLY doesn't like that. Best solution is to copy the C:\Program Files\PCX2 folder to your desktop and run the emulator from there. That worked for me.

Ok. So I moved the folder onto my desktop, configured it to a few suggestions from a couple pages back.

And....as soon as I load a game, after the old Ps2 intro loading screen (this screen is shaking(unstable if you will)), the program itself stalls and fails. Any insight?

Zaptruder

Banned
Can't wait to retry this emulator once I've upgraded my PC...

I mean I could probably do it now, but fuck that... I want 60fps, 1080p @ 16xaa and 16xaf.

You guys think a i7920 @ 4+GHz and a 5870 2GB, could do that for all titles? Does RAM matter?

tokkun

Zaptruder said:

I mean I could probably do it now, but fuck that... I want 60fps, 1080p @ 16xaa and 16xaf.

You guys think a i7920 @ 4+GHz and a 5870 2GB, could do that for all titles? Does RAM matter?

It should be fine for many games, but you'll still probably encounter some games that dip below 60 due to CPU.

EGM92

Zaptruder said:

There are games out there that no matter how good your system is they'll still struggle to run on those specs. Video card doesn't matter much as long as it supports Shader model 2.0+ and has at least 256mb of ram it's fine. The emulator is limited and just won't run some games well, yet.

tokkun

kiruyama said:
omfg, Tokkun, could you post (or re-post) your rig's specs? Those P4 shots are stunning.

My hardware:
Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz
GTX260 (factory overclocked)

I use the latest GSdx plugin's DX10 Hardware renderer with internal res set at 2560x1440 and output resized to 720p. Notice that I'm using double the internal res as external, which gives it a 2x super-sampling for AA. If I try to go up to 1080p with 2x super-sampling I become GPU-limited. I use the BFF Blend interlacing mode because it makes the character portraits less pixelated.

I have most of the aggressive speed hacks enabled, and don't notice any bugs on the most recent build.

Framerate is at 60fps most of the time, but occasionally it will drop to 50fps in some scenes, like the Junes lobby for some reason. It's pretty annoying when that happens since the music slowdown is very noticeable even at 50fps. I'm pretty sure the slowdown comes from the CPU, not the GPU. I think if I had a processor capable of running at 4 GHz it would all be good.

p4-1888_09.jpg

p4-1888_07.jpg

p4-1888_08.jpg

Actually I would say that for the majority of games, PCSX is a pretty rough experience. Persona 4 is kind of an exception in that it looks way better, has few bugs, and runs at a decent speed with properly configured.

SOLDIER

When all is said and done, which build is the most stable and most likely to get games running at a decent framerate? I'm talking between the official and unofficial builds.

SOLDIER

Is it recommended/not recommended to check all the speed hacks at once? Does it create any conflicts?

Yakuza, God Hand, and SotC still run really slow and choppy even on this newest beta.

Holy shit at Persona 4!
I'm upgrading my laptop next year sometime, would a new '10 laptop be able to run the PS2 emulator well?
I mean the screen would be smallish so I think 720p would be as good as 1080p in that situation right?

EGM92

How the hell do I force AA? I'm trying to play Kingdom Hearts Chains of Memories but the game is so jaggy... MY EYES BLEED :(

asdad123

I should be doing hw said:
Holy shit at Persona 4!
I'm upgrading my laptop next year sometime, would a new '10 laptop be able to run the PS2 emulator well?
I mean the screen would be smallish so I think 720p would be as good as 1080p in that situation right?
Im running games perfectly fine on my Asus G51VX-RX05 that I bought in July (60 FPS in KH2 and FF10, havent tried any more yet)
A 2010 laptop will run this great

bee

EGM92 said:
How the hell do I force AA? I'm trying to play Kingdom Hearts Chains of Memories but the game is so jaggy... MY EYES BLEED :(

up the internal res to 2000 x 1500 works for me

EGM92 said:
Double your internal resolution and make sure to untick the "native" checkbox.

Edit:Too late.

I'm going to test this out on my new system but, I have a question. Don't they make graphical editing cards that process the video signal in real time and let you add AF and AA? Could you not just purchase a pci card that accepts HDMI and run the upscaled game from your PS3 into your computer and process the signal with FSAA?

Durante

MidgarBlowedUp said:
I'm going to test this out on my new system but, I have a question. Don't they make graphical editing cards that process the video signal in real time and let you add AF and AA? Could you not just purchase a pci card that accepts HDMI and run the upscaled game from your PS3 into your computer and process the signal with FSAA?
You can never "add AA" to a picture. A picture is a 2D representation of the scene and does not contain the information required to do AA.

You can look for specific aliasing artifacts and do an edge blur on them, but it will never be perfect. Algorithms that do this well are ridiculously costly for HD resolutions at 60 FPS. (I'm trying to implement one method in OpenCL for realtime use)

asdad123 said:
Im running games perfectly fine on my Asus G51VX-RX05 that I bought in July (60 FPS in KH2 and FF10, havent tried any more yet)
A 2010 laptop will run this great
What are the specs on that machine? Also, how are you running the games? As in, do they look better than it would just playing it on a PS2? At this point though I don't think that would even bother me, portable PS2 gaming would be so fucking awesome.

Saying a 2010 laptop will run this 'great' is very misleading. You see people here with 3.5+ GHz CPUs that struggle with some games.

Anything under 3 GHz is not desirable. You may be able to play some of the highly compatible games, but it you will encounter a lot of games that won't be playable.

Will laptops (do laptops?) have 3.5Ghz CPU's in 2010? I find the whole PC scene very overwhelming I have almost no idea what is good or not. I think I do, but that thought is quickly raped into the ground when I hear words like 'vector' or 'flops' or bullshit like that.
In my mind ram and a graphics card do everything. I know this is wrong but it is all I know, and to a larger extent, it is all I can fathom. :lol

asdad123

What are the specs on that machine? Also, how are you running the games? As in, do they look better than it would just playing it on a PS2? At this point though I don't think that would even bother me, portable PS2 gaming would be so fucking awesome.
I have the best buy version of the G51 so it only has a 2.0Ghz C2D (OCed to 2.4) , 260m gtx, 4gb ram. There is a version on newegg that has a 2.8 C2D which will easily OC to 3.0+

I play the games fullscreen on my laptops screen with the internal resolution at 1920x1080

Will laptops (do laptops?) have 3.5Ghz CPU's in 2010? I find the whole PC scene very overwhelming I have almost no idea what is good or not. I think I do, but that thought is quickly raped into the ground when I hear words like 'vector' or 'flops' or bullshit like that.
In my mind ram and a graphics card do everything. I know this is wrong but it is all I know, and to a larger extent, it is all I can fathom. :lol

CPU is about the only consideration here. This is assuming you have a modern GPU (not integrated) and enough RAM (3GB+, though even that may not be necessary). CPU speed is king.

Not sure about laptops with 3.5GHz CPUs. There may be some (particularly in the desktop replacement category) but I can't be fussed to research it.

If you were buying/building a machine for this emulator, CPU speed would be your major concern. Everything else is a distant second.

Danj

Will laptops (do laptops?) have 3.5Ghz CPU's in 2010?

i7 Mobile with Turbo Boost (no, really) might get up that high (well, I've seen 3.2 quoted, no reason they wouldn't make one that'll go to 3.5 eventually).

Thanks for you responses, kind sirs. Ok CPU is king is ingrained into my mind now, thanks for that I wont forget it :lol
Anyone wanna give me a place to start looking? The research begins @.@
Edit:
Ok thanks to the above person I've scoped these two laptops on this page:
http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Learn/Notebook/corei7-extreme-detail.htm
The "CyberPower Xplorer X7-7820" and the "Sager NP8760". Can anyone with decent knowledge on this stuff give me a yay or nay on either of these?

Danj

The "CyberPower Xplorer X7-7820" and the "Sager NP8760". Can anyone with decent knowledge on this stuff give me a yay or nay on either of these?

Strangely, neither of those two model numbers seem to be listed on their respective manufacturer pages. But if money is no object, just go for something with an i7 Extreme processor in with lots of memory and a non-integrated graphics card (i.e. NVIDIA or ATI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom