• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!

Wtf is going on here? This thread feels like I'm in a tornado.
(I have read every post thus far, and don't like the way it's sounding, even though i want this thing to succeed)

synce

Cool idea but isn't this basically what the current handhelds are? And I somehow doubt it will get many exclusives... Maybe I'm just too cynical, I don't see the point.

Kawika

Week of the 14th has less than 48 hours left in it. I am cautiously optimistic about this project but I don't want to get burned either. This isn't really unique to the RVGS but for just about any project. Kind of feel like crowdfunding is the modern equivalent of Jack's Magic beans.

Wife - "You spent our money on beans?!"
Jack - "But honey, they are MAGIC."

Wife - "You spent our money on a video game console that is not even out yet?!"
Kawika- "But honey the FPGA is MAGIC."

Well, that escalated in a strange direction. Nothing inherently suspicious about trying their hand at IGG, though it is definitely an unorthodox move as the prevailing wisdom around them is that they are largely "meant" for projects whose countries of origin are not yet part of the club on KS save for some exceptions, and there's nothing to say they couldn't also give KS a shot down the line in any case.

I guess it just comes down to the thing launching shortly and seeing what's what---doubtless the forces of scrutiny will be at least a strong as the forces of optimistic longing...so it won't take long for the shape of this thing to manifest.

Wtf is going on here? This thread feels like I'm in a tornado.
(I have read every post thus far, and don't like the way it's sounding, even though i want this thing to succeed)
The switch to IndieGoGo just feels like this project lost even more legitimacy, especially since other posters have brought up some great points so far.

Seriously, just stick to Kickstarter. You are making a niche product receive funding through an even more niche means.

These days IGG actually has a higher success rate than Kickstarter, when it comes to campaigns with static goals. Of course, I doubt most campaigns have as pricey tiers as this one's probably gonna have...

Indiegogo campaign launches tomorrow at 9:00 am PST

From Facebook:
Hello Everyone! The time is finally now and we will be activating our Indiegogo Campaign tomorrow (Saturday) morning at 9 AM Pacific Time.
Indiegogo had been courting us to use their service the past few months and have extended to us some accommodations that were very enticing. In addition, we have also had discussions with Kickstarter about their policy which requires hardware campaigns to show off explicit demonstrations of a prototype. We have since found a few running hardware campaigns on Kickstarter that show nothing of the sort and have questioned them about it, only to find you really don't need to show a working prototype, just to be clear and upfront with backers so they know exactly where you are in the development process. We asked if they would then reword their policy to reflect this and at this point they have not done so.
Since we didn't want to confuse anyone where we were in this process, we feel we just can't use Kickstarter while that policy is worded as such and thus have moved to the other very large crowdfunding company, Indiegogo.
There has been some confusion with how Indiegogo operates as they offer both a flexible and fixed funding option. We, of course, are using their "fixed" funding options which works just like Kickstarter, in that, we need to raise our minimum amount in order to fund the campaign. If that is not reached any of you who back this project get a refund right away for the amount you pledged. Here is a link on their website describing that process: https://support.indiegogo.com/…/en-…/articles/526876-Refunds
In any event, we are ready to take RETRO VGS to that next level and put all of you on the front lines with weekly updates and videos as we enter the costly prototyping phase and eventually the production and shipping phase.
We hope to see you all on the other side! And thanks again for all your support and feedback.

Yeah sure, what a reasonable demand. Kickstarter will reword their rules at the Retro VGS campaign's request. Do they actually understand that it's not the rule itself people are caught up with? Not having a prototype is a big problem with or without that rule.

ultrazilla

Well Mike, good luck with the campaign. It hurts but I'm out and can't support the campaign at this point. I would have if it was Kickstarter. I can't drop over $300 tomorrow(apparently Indiegogo takes your pledge immediately). If it's successful and you end up able to make consoles you can sell directly to folks, I'll go that route.

And honestly, I think the reason you didn't go with Kickstarter is a weak one. You can clearly say in the Kickstarter you don't have a working prototype(especially since you have said there are other campaigns on there currently with no working protos). I think your reputation and pedigree with your staff would give you the benefit of the doubt there.

Switching to Indiegogo has only raised a bunch of red flags imho and their policies have killed my desire to support your system at this point.

Is it true that if you get "prototype funding" for the system on Indiegogo, that you're going to then do a Kickstarter campaign for more funding?

Anyways, good luck. I'm sad. It'll be interesting to see what surprises you announce tomorrow and how the campaign goes. Hopefully one day I'll have a system in my living room.

It hurts but I'm out and can't support the campaign at this point. I would have if it was Kickstarter. I can't drop over $300 tomorrow(apparently Indiegogo takes your pledge immediately). If it's successful and you end up able to make consoles you can sell directly to folks, I'll go that route.

What's the difference between pledging $300 on Kickstarter now and having it be charged in 45 days, or pledging $300 on IndieGoGo in 45 days? Only thing I can think of is missing out on the early bird special. If you want to be in the loop for the whole time, just pledge a small amount at the beginning and then upgrade it later when you have the money.

GameGavel

Neo Member
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to reiterate that we have had discussions with Kickstarter's, Head of Games, right up to Monday and they point blank said you don't need a working prototype even when their policies say otherwise. We know our crowd and couldn't in all honesty launch there without a working prototype that is nothing less than a real life RVGS board running a game or we would be breaking their policies and would certainly be called out for it.

Indiegogo is a very large and successful crowdfunding campaign and have done rather well in the hardware side of things. They have been after us for the past 3-4 months about bringing us to their side of the fence. Needless to say, I would have preferred to use Kickstarter, but again, we don't have the $$ to get a very real prototype made and thusly needed to make a decision to use IGG.

Our plan is to get the prototype built very soon. We have the design all locked up and have all our supplier relationships ready to go as well as our CM for the PCB and PCBA.

This can all come together quite fast once we know we have the funding. So, if we can hit our goal early on into the campaign we can begin the process before the campaign ends to get a head start. I have confidence in John and Steve, who have been in the video game hardware/software business for 25+ years, and have worked for Atari, Apple, Sega and recently SONY, that they can take the design they have architected the past 8 months and turn into a working prototype. If we had the money to do it ourselves we would have obviously done it.

The bottom line is these are career hardware guys and this isn't rocket science. It will come together fast and in front of backers eyes if they let us do it.

Only time will tell :)

Seriously, thanks to all of you over here whether you are for us or against us. We've learned a lot and factored much of this and what info we've received on Facebook into our design and engineered this down as much as possible to get it within a price many will be able to afford.

Justice UK

Neo Member
$300 seems a lot of money for something this niche. It's hard to justify when the majority of titles announced are available elsewhere for less.

No patches? How the heck is that going to work? I'm pretty many of the ports they are getting got a patch. Software never ships bug free, so how is this rigorous testing going to work? Is the Retro team handling testing? Testing can be costly. How long after games get released on other platforms will they be released on the Retro because they lack the ability to patch and need to be tested more? This was just one of the many red flags while taking a glance at their proposal.

hpdjw6t3oxpoxvirf7oe.png

This is the greatest chart I've ever seen. But it needs a category for "uses an Atari Jaguar case"

I also like how they're the authority when it comes to what a "low price" is. And how do they know their console has a "Fast Start Time"? It doesn't even exist yet!

Edit: I didn't notice this at first, but if you take out the VGS (since it's not on the market) then according to their criteria, the best consoles right now are the Wii U and the OUYA!!

No patches? I sure hope those games are tested before release...

They've got a plan for that. It says so in their campaign. It says:

Never patch a game. Games are tested thoroughly before release.

If only game developers and publishers could have figured this out before releasing games on other platforms. I think Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA, Activision, 2K, etc should apply this development process to their games now.

Kawika

Even then games shipped with bugs. Good luck playing battletoads 2 player.

Anyway, I think being able to patch things is key. The option should not be off the table but treat it as an exception not a rule. Once in a while a game killing bug will slip through. I bought an Analogue NT and my HDMI upgrade breaks Castlevania 3. No problem. They made it so I can flash the update (or not if i so choose). I believe this should be the strategy of RVGS

Also, this will force Street Fighter 2 type updates. Imagine Shovel Knight shipped on RVGS when it did now you would have to either not get the Plague Knight Free update or be forced to buy the New Shovel Knight with Plague Knight update. IE Shovel Knight Championship Edition.

Either way, good luck on your indiegogo campaign. See you in Nov 2016.

Bar81

hpdjw6t3oxpoxvirf7oe.png

This is the greatest chart I've ever seen. But it needs a category for "uses an Atari Jaguar case"

I also like how they're the authority when it comes to what a "low price" is. And how do they know their console has a "Fast Start Time"? It doesn't even exist yet!

Edit: I didn't notice this at first, but if you take out the VGS (since it's not on the market) then according to their criteria, the best consoles right now are the Wii U and the OUYA!!

No actual hardware but vaporware start times? Check.

Using the limited 500 pieces price as the only price and not the regular price of $350 (and the other prices going to $450) and fake quoting Xbox One price at $500 when it's $350-400. Check.

Launch lineup of games that are/will be on other platforms. Check.

FPGA "power" nowhere to be seen. Check.

Media being "durable". Check.

Games being unpatchable with no explanation of how they will ensure that the games release without bugs. Check.

Ouya comparisons after repeatedly saying that it's nothing like Ouya and we shouldn't compare the two. Check.

It's sad; way more pathetic than even I expected.

emb

Yeah, that chart's pretty hilarious. "Low" price? RVGS totally has that. Riiiight.

Also, what does Transferable games even mean? Something to do with game saves traveling with the game?

Wow! I didn't even notice the pricing errors there. And with the possibility of an imminent price drop for the PS4 that'll put them right at the VGS' door step. Not to mention you're paying today for something that in all likelihood won't come out until 2017. I wonder if their price is competitive with the NX?

The only good thing to come out of this is that they've laid out their cards, but at the same time they're as vague as they've ever been so who knows what they're up to. Their "plan and progress to date" only confirms what the "negative" minded people here suspected all along. They've only done the most preliminary work with little to show on their end. They don't even have their PCB design ready. So much for being "light years ahead."

Our plan and progress to date:

Created initial concept
Researched market

2014 Q4 - 2015 Q1
Acquired mechanical design, rights, and tooling

arrow-trans128x128.png

2015 Q1 - 2015 Q3 : Phase 1
Collected and defined requirements
Created overall architecture
Researched and established component supply chains
Created initial circuit designs, initial PCB assembly designs, budget, development and business plans
Recruited developers and defined initial launch titles and pack-in game

2144.gif

2015 Q3 - 2016 Q1 : Phase 2
Secure funding
Complete design of circuits and PCB to build and test alpha prototype systems
Regulatory compliance pre-scan
Start development of system software and games
Schedule delivery and order components and materials for manufacturing
Journal and demonstrate progress to backers with weekly updates

2016 Q1 - 2016 Q3 : Phase 3
Revise design of circuits and PCB to build and test beta prototype systems
Regulatory compliance testing and certification
Complete development of system software
Continue developing games

2016 Q3 - 2016 Q4 : Phase 4
Manufacture and deliver product
Continue developing games

Bar81

The only good thing to come out of this is that they've laid out their cards, but at the same time they're as vague as they've ever been so who knows what they're up to. Their "plan and progress to date" only confirms what the "negative" minded people here suspected all along. They've only done the most preliminary work with little to show on their end. They don't even have their PCB design ready. So much for being "light years ahead."

Good catch. So they've finally admitted that they haven't even designed the boards yet which is what we suspected.

Justice UK

Neo Member
They've really missed the point I feel. Had they achieved a decent console with a few good looking exclusives at $150 I could have seen it being successful. In its current form I just don't see it. $300 on a punt that this thing ends up with some great games but realistically any games this thing gets will end up on PSN, Xbox Live or Steam.

Timu

They've got a plan for that. It says so in their campaign. It says:

If only game developers and publishers could have figured this out before releasing games on other platforms. I think Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA, Activision, 2K, etc should apply this development process to their games now.
It better be all games then!!!

This is worse than we thought. It's starting to unravel quick. Kevtris, who was rumored/confirmed [??] to be working on the RVGS has given a rundown of his thoughts on the AtariAge forums and it's pretty much an exposé.

I'm so glad the gaming community has people like him who work and create projects like he does. There is no excuse for the RVGS to have no prototype at this point. And the thought of planning to set aside around $100,000 of crowdfunded cash in order to make the prototype PCB is complete horse shit.
kevtris, on 19 Sept 2015 - 4:16 PM, said:

Well, After seeing their IGG page, and how the FPGA is gone? or significantly reduced from their system, I can't stay silent any longer. As many know, there was talk of various "cores" on the RVGS, and that I was going to be the dork supplying them. Anyways, I thought I would inject a little bit of sanity into the whole "FPGA videogame system" realm and show off what I have been able to do alone, and without any kind of outside funding.

I started working on FPGA videogame cores and systems back in 2004, when I made my first prototype "FPGA videogame" board. Back then, I was enamored with DB9 controllers (genesis, 2600, etc). So as can be seen in this prototype, I have two DB9 ports, a DB15 (for NES/SNES controller adapters, and "expansion"), an SD card and several other things. Namely VGA, composite, s-video, audio, PS/2 keyboard and mouse (lol). This system worked, and is what I developed the FPGA NES and FPGA 2600 on.

sml_gallery_32195_1489_41646.jpg

Then in 2010, I decided to update my project and designed and built a second prototype system. Since plastic enclosure design was expensive, I made it fit inside an NES cartridge shell, and the connectors would stick out the back, where the cartridge would otherwise normally fit into the NES system. This prototype was used to design the rest of my systems (17 to date).

sml_gallery_32195_1489_626249.jpg

(bonus image of that board outputting DVI to a flatpanel, running Kirby's Adventure)

sml_gallery_32195_1489_391620.jpg

With this board, I finished up A LOT of systems. All of these systems are DONE and 100% finished and tested, ready to be targeted ("ported") to nearly anything with an FPGA inside it:

* NES
* SMS
* Game Gear
* Colecovision
* Atari 2600
* Atari 7800
* Gameboy
* Gameboy Colour (has 1 or 2 tiny bugs left, but 99.9% of the games run)
* Intellivision (with Intellivoice, computer add-on, etc)
* Odyssey^2 (with The Voice add-on)
* Creativision (with tape drive support)
* Arcadia 2001
* Adventure Vision
* Videobrain
* RCA Studio 2 (lul)
* Fairchild Channel F
* Supervision (crappyish LCD handheld)

and some non-game things like an SNES SPC music player with visualizer, and a realtime mandelbrot zoomer/explorer.

Again, all the above are done and ready to go and currently work on my homemade dev board.

Then in 2014, I decided to make my third FPGA Videogame board.. the "possibly sellable" version. This board was a huge step up from the last, and is on par with what the RVGS has and can do IMO. The interesting part is this board exists and I have designed it and wrote code for it. Amusingly I have not actually stuffed one of the boards, but I will explain why later. The board was manufactured, and I did buy all the parts however.

sml_gallery_32195_1489_81106.png

First, here's my "3D render" of the board, fresh out of Altium (circuit board program).

The goals for this board were these:

* Make something I can sell!
* Include ALL the outputs possible for video and audio, but only it people paid extra to keep costs down if you were only interested in HDMI
* 4 USB controller ports
* High speed SD card interface (4 bit mode, 50MHz)
* menu buttons for the user so he does not need to dork with the controller
* RGB status LED
* Expansion port for cartridge adapters (the right side connector)
* Be able to run all the current cores + SNES, Genesis, Neogeo, and possibly PS1 era systems.
* 1080p/60fps video output
* Ethernet port

The board is 6 layers, and was my first board in Altium after I switched over in 2014. It was a lot of fun to design and it helped me to learn Altium. I got the boards made which cost around $600 (for 10 of them), and bought parts (another 400-500 bucks). There's no less than TWO Cyclone V FPGAs on here- Itchy is designed to be the "user interface" and video scaler/processor, and Scratchy is the "engine" that does all the core running and nothing else.

Before I had a chance to stuff the boards, I worked on that HiDefNES NES to HDMI adapter which was finished a month or so ago and released. I am glad I did, because I learned a lot of stuff about HDMI and can now revise my board to save a lot of parts and cost that I don't need. So, there will be another cheaper rev of this board now. I already have the parts, so I just need to design a newer PCB.

Here's two views of the finished boards. I bought the main 6 layer board and some of the 4 layer "analog" boards, and plugged them together for these pictures:

sml_gallery_32195_1489_283665.jpg

sml_gallery_32195_1489_2031139.jpg

And if you're REALLY curious what my board stackup looks like, including internal layers you can see that here:

http://gerblook.org/pcb/JTtikCWit4ezouDz9p37Fn#top-copper

Click the links at the left to view the different layers.

I noticed in the IGG that they are allocating around $100K(!) for prototype development. This is an insane amount of money, considering I am in for around $1000-1200 on my latest "advanced" prototypes- around 1% of what they are seeking. No, I am not going to start asking for money, just thought it was interesting to point out. Total development time from concept to prototype PCBs+parts was around 2-3 months. This included the design time in Altium, learning Altium, and getting the boards manufactured.

I figured if I was going to sell this thing, I was damn well going to have a working prototype of what I wanted to manufacture, and have the software fully working too.

As for the cartridge adapters, I came up with this idea almost 2 years ago, and the evidence can be seen on my above prototype PCB. I anticipated selling adapters in "groups". i.e. a single adapter might contain 3 or 4 cartridge ports each. The main stopper of course is packaging them into some kind of enclosure (requiring expensive molding, but today it isn't TOO bad). Frankly the electronics on something like this isn't too hairy, it always comes down to how you are going to package it, and who's going to want to pay for it. hehe.

Just thought I'd drop the bomb in here about how I have basically created what they are trying to create, but actually have gotten it manufactured and did it all on a shoestringish budget.

(If anyone thinks this doodad would fly with a $200-250 price point, lemme know. The only reason I have not tried to sell it was because I thought it was too much money to get a lot of support on i.e. Kickstarter)

If you want to know more info about anything lemme know. There's also video of each system running on my youtube channel "kevtris".

Gruso

Just to head off any misconceptions, the above projects are purely FPGA based systems, and are not an equivalent to what the RVGS is doing. Integrating an ARM SoC is a whole other ballgame, and beyond what 99% of hobbyists could do at home.

Not saying I don't think we should have a prototype, but you need to compare apples with apples.

I am curious about the "bigger" FPGA being a stretch goal. What is the default option capable of in comparison?

grendelrt

Just to head off any misconceptions, the above projects are purely FPGA based systems, and are not an equivalent to what the RVGS is doing. Integrating an ARM SoC is a whole other ballgame, and beyond what 99% of hobbyists could do at home.

Not saying I don't think we should have a prototype, but you need to compare apples with apples.

I am curious about the "bigger" FPGA being a stretch goal. What is the default option capable of in comparison?
That's very important question I had, what level core can the current fpga emulate and how much more powerful is the stretch goal one.

GameGavel

Neo Member
To address this whole Kevin Horton/KEVTRIS bit. Here is what I just posted on AtariAge:

Wow. Kevin ?!?!

First off, we were going to pay Kevin his asking price for the licensing of the cores and this was built into our funding goal ($10K/core) and had another $50K +/- in our funding budget to pay him for the 16 bit cores he has yet to develop. And these could have been shared with the community or whatever, not exclusive to us. And I could care less if Kevin used these cores to sell his board in addition to ours, he could have had both opportunities. We are selling two entirely different kinds of products. It really is amazing how everything gets turned around in these forums.

We are just three legitimate guys who want to bring a cool product to market. It's as simple as that. And set up it up as a real sustainable business that can continue to support the platform for a long time.

As of this post, I am going to chime out here as there is nothing that even remotely comes in the form of meaningful constructive criticism. And Kevin, I guess we will look elsewhere for our core development.

Really unbelievable !

- Mike

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is worse than we thought. It's starting to unravel quick. Kevtris, who was rumored/confirmed [??] to be working on the RVGS has given a rundown of his thoughts on the AtariAge forums and it's pretty much an exposé.

I'm so glad the gaming community has people like him who work and create projects like he does. There is no excuse for the RVGS to have no prototype at this point. And the thought of planning to set aside around $100,000 of crowdfunded cash in order to make the prototype PCB is complete horse shit.
Kevin is awesome. Nico, so are you for keeping us updated on this horrible endeavor. Let's suffocate this project before it gets going anywhere. It's a loss for sure.

I'm mostly just being a voyeur because this saga is incredible, I can't take my eyes off of it.

Also, it's not just Kevtris. In the AtariAge forums the guy who holds the rights to Super Noah's Ark 3D which was an early "confirmed launch title" has also been in there and voiced a few concerns before Kevtris and said he's out too. I'll try to find his post later.

As for Mike Kennedy, that's okay if he wants to leave the forums, maybe creators shouldn't be on them in the first place if they're not going to provide reliable and consistent information. The shitstorm of the Retro VGS is a monster of his own making. People have been speculating and going off of whatever information they can find because history has shown that figuring things out on your own is the only way to get any accurate (or inaccurate) information out of the RVGS team.

No one has a problem with Mike launching a 90's retro console but he has to launch his 90's console in 2015. So blaming the internet because people aren't as gullible as they were before, information is more readily accessible and manufacturer's claims fall under much more scrutiny is no defense. If he had just been open and honest from the beginning a lot of his troubles could have easily been avoided.

tangent, but if kevtris seriously puts out his own console it'd be the only project like this I'd be willing to jump in on.

More on topic... People coming out and saying "yeah, this doesn't add up" really just seems to validate what the majority have been saying since the beginning. Cool idea, but it's unreasonably optimistic.

Damn.

I don't know what else to say after reading all of this. It's starting to sound like this project was just a fantasy.

I really hope Mike didn't spend too much of his money on that Jaguar tooling, which is just starting to look more and more like a worthless hunk of metal.

I know Mike is a good, honest, guy, but this project has turned into an absolute disaster within the past week.

I was genuinely excited for this system when it was planned to launch at around $180. Like, genuinely thrilled. I had planned on buying the console and a ton of games. I love, love, LOVE cartridge based consoles.

But at $300+, I just can't get excited. This is a niche product to begin with, but at that price, it just has no hope of being even remotely successful. I wish it had been created as a console with specs similar to something like the Neo Geo. I'm not interested in a system that can be programmed to act like a bunch of different retro devices. At first, this seemed like a simple console with modest ambitions. If I had known the team was going to be asking for two million dollars, I would have likely never gotten on board with the idea.

Oh well. Good luck to the three guys involved. If it's funded and has a successful launch, I may check it out. That price really has to come down though. I can't stress enough how little interest is going to be there for a console like this at $300.

Bar81

Let's take this in its parts:

Now you know pretty much everyone's reaction when the price doubled overnight, no hardware was to be found and there was a whole bunch of feature bloat.

First off, we were going to pay Kevin his asking price for the licensing of the cores and this was built into our funding goal ($10K/core) and had another $50K +/- in our funding budget to pay him for the 16 bit cores he has yet to develop. And these could have been shared with the community or whatever, not exclusive to us. And I could care less if Kevin used these cores to sell his board in addition to ours, he could have had both opportunities. We are selling two entirely different kinds of products. It really is amazing how everything gets turned around in these forums.

So after all that talk of "cores" you had/have nothing. What were you going to do if you got funded and he raised the price or even worse refused to license anything to you? Find someone better? Pure amateur hour.

We are just three guys who want TWO MILLION DOLLARS and for you to trust us

fixed that for you

Really unbelievable !

Agreed.

tangent, but if kevtris seriously puts out his own console it'd be the only project like this I'd be willing to jump in on.
He won't -- he said in his next post in the AtariAge thread that that won't happen anytime soon, and he thinks that if he tried it wouldn't get funded: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/23...een-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-62#entry3325402

More on topic... People coming out and saying "yeah, this doesn't add up" really just seems to validate what the majority have been saying since the beginning. Cool idea, but it's unreasonably optimistic.
More like it 'doesn't add up' because people have wanted to hate on the idea since the beginning. If the crowdfunding campaign was going well there would be many fewer issues. I think that Mike has been very open and honest, people just sadly want to hate on and kill the project and at this rate they will succeed.

Now, there are some things he could have done better -- for instance the kevtris and pico interactive issues should have been privately covered before the campaign began, probably -- but otherwise, I think a lot of the critics are being very harsh without actual valid reasons for it If they actually get the funding I think the console will indeed be made and be pretty interesting.

I'm mostly just being a voyeur because this saga is incredible, I can't take my eyes off of it.
No way, harsh critics like you have a significant role in why things have gone as they have. You do your best to spin everything as much against Mike Kennedy and the RVGS as you possibly can. That's not "just a voyeur", you and the other people constantly attacking this have an agenda. Now, sure, there are some issues with the campaign (price, no final board, issues with developers, and such), but not nearly as much as you make it seem.

No one has a problem with Mike launching a 90's retro console but he has to launch his 90's console in 2015. So blaming the internet because people aren't as gullible as they were before, information is more readily accessible and manufacturer's claims fall under much more scrutiny is no defense. If he had just been open and honest from the beginning a lot of his troubles could have easily been avoided.
He's been quite open.

fixed that for you
The "oh we're just some altruistic guys trying to bring something amazing to the market" line really puts a bad taste in my mouth. Lack of transparency in business always bothers me, but in a situation like this where terms suddenly change significantly and then someone has the gal to ask for donations (because seriously that's what they are)...?
Obnoxious, at best.
He won't -- he said in his next post in the AtariAge thread that that won't happen anytime soon, and he thinks that if he tried it wouldn't get funded: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/23...een-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-62#entry3325402
He said he doesn't believe it's likely to be profitable, though he would like to sell them. Are you clairvoyant?

Wow, as usual your whole post is rhetoric and longwinded fluff. Don't know why I expected anything else.

He said he doesn't believe it's likely to be profitable, though he would like to sell them. Are you clairvoyant?
That's not what he said. Here's the direct quote: "Don't worry, I have no plans to release any kind of FPGA videogame system at the moment. I still am not sure that people would float the costs." He says 'float the costs', as in, he doesn't think nearly enough people would back the project on Kickstarter if he tried that. He wouldn't be funding it himself without Kickstarter.

Wow, as usual your whole post is rhetoric and longwinded fluff. Don't know why I expected anything else.
Inaccurate anti-RVGS spin isn't all true just because the critics say it is.

panda-zebra

I really hope Mike didn't spend too much of his money on that Jaguar tooling, which is just starting to look more and more like a worthless hunk of metal.

No concerns there, Mike has already made his money back and more (confirmed so himself) by selling translucent Jaguar console and cart cases to Jaguar fans.

More like it 'doesn't add up' because people have wanted to hate on the idea since the beginning.

Not true. The project has changed scope and direction many times throughout its short life, and only those following day to day, and at times hour to hour, will have seen this play out. There can have been few in opposition early on because, for months, it amounted to little more than teases with no real tangible information. In fact, cold hard facts have been in short supply throughout.

As time passed, the project moved more towards catering to the current market and further monetizing existing IP and software - indie games on cart, as opposed to the original talk of a brand-new-retro box. There is a direct negative correlation here between the emergence of the RVGS as an indiebox and the downturn in interest from much of the classic gaming crowd.

I think a lot of the critics are being very harsh without actual valid reasons for it

Or maybe a lot of the supporters have been overly gushing when there's little to go on but blind faith.

No way, harsh critics like you have a significant role in why things have gone as they have. You do your best to spin everything as much against Mike Kennedy and the RVGS as you possibly can.

With the way the RVGS team have interfaced with the public so far, it's their own words that have been drenched in spin. The indiegogo campaign itself and posts here are in no short supply. kevtris' post highlights just how fragile and sketchy the whole affair is, no spin required there.

No way, harsh critics like you have a significant role in why things have gone as they have. You do your best to spin everything as much against Mike Kennedy and the RVGS as you possibly can. That's not "just a voyeur", you and the other people constantly attacking this have an agenda. Now, sure, there are some issues with the campaign (price, no final board, issues with developers, and such), but not nearly as much as you make it seem.

Oh please. Don't even try to lay the blame on the critics. This is a discussion forum, if you want propaganda go pledge to their campaign already and drink their Kool-Aid to your heart's content. I've been very supportive of good crowdfunding ideas with competent management. Look at the Arduboy and Spark the Electric Jester threads here if you want to see how I give crowdfunding campaigns my full support when they do their prep work and have their heads screwed on straight. Or gee, did you know I backed Mike's very first Kickstarter, year one of Retro Magazine?

Wow...that's a pretty big development with this whole kevtris thing---one wonders at the lack of replies and clarifications thus far in the actual, proper IGG topic where folks would probably perk an eyebrow or so at them outright taking their ball and going home for one of the "core" supplementary folks...

Like I alluded to in there, this has gone so far afield is it just depressing. Compared to something like this from some years back even instead of the Natami Project:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/fuzebox/

A higher spec, "next gen" along these lines would moreso be a sensible way to go considering there has been quite some improvements in hardware possibilities since it and uzebox were first a thing. Lost in the weeds doesn't even begin to describe Retro VGS at this junction between all this going on at atariage and folks combing through the IGG pitch page itself.

mosaic

go eat paint
I've been taking a slew of business-related classes the past few years, and this campaign and subsequent blow up has hammered home a point that every class stresses: Communication is #1.

No matter what they produce or when, there is no argument that the campaign would've done better had their communications been clear, complete, and consistent from the beginning.

I'm probably going to pick this as a case study if any of my future classes calls for a "what would you have done differently?" type assignment. It's no 1970's Ford Pinto with the exploding gas tank, but it's still pretty amazing...

Khaz

And also the more powerful REPLAY FPGA Arcade, still in development. Mind you, "in development" means that the board is complete and finished, most cores are done, with other still in beta. The author has yet to devise a mass production system and still makes them at home, selling the complete product to devs only for $199, supposedly for a profit as he has already made and sent 150 of them as of last may.

FPGA :
MIST: Altera Cyclone III EP3C25E in 144pin package. 24,624 LE (flop + lut)
REPLAY: Xilinx XC3S1600E in BGA320 pin package. 33,192 LE (flop + lut)
RETROVGS: ?

Also, don't forget the 1chipMSX, which is probably the FPGA console that is the most comparable to the RVGS (in the sense that it accepts cartridges)

350px-OCM_007.jpg

I think they were sold for $200. I remember I wanted one but then I found out that MSX carts can cost more than the console so I was out!

Top Bottom