• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Wise leaves Rare

watkinzez

From his facebook:

"I think the business of Rare has changed a great deal, and at the moment there is just not the opportunity to create the soundtracks that Rare were fortunately very famous for."

Rare's music department really has taken a hit this past year. Grant Kirkhope, Steve Burke, and now David Wise. Robin Beanland, David Clynick, Eveline Novakovic, Jamie Hughes and Martin Penny are the ones left that I know of.

Hopefully we'll still hear from David in the future. :(

Pardon my ignorance, but what works was he responsible for? The music is probably my favourite part of most of Rare's games.

markatisu

He has a point, can't create soundtracks when you really don't create games anymore

Unless NATAL and the Xbox Live avatars need a soundtrack

Balb

TouchMyBox said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what works was he responsible for? The music is probably my favourite part of most of Rare's games.

He's responsible for the awesome music in the DKC games among many others.

There are so many legendary tracks in DKC1 and 2, I hope Wise continues to work on game music with another company.

watkinzez

TouchMyBox said:

All of their NES output, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox Adventures.

Spiegel

This means Rare will be focused only on Natal games?

Sad if true, I thought the studio was big enough to support both types of games :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Y2Kev said:
Hmm...why can't you put a Wise soundtrack in a Natal game?
Perhaps they're astoundingly casual and they want a Wii Sports or Wii System menu like soundtrack.

Either way this is really sad and I hope he finds a great new place to work.

Linkified

markatisu said:
He has a point, can't create soundtracks when you really don't create games anymore

Unless NATAL and the Xbox Live avatars need a soundtrack

Those Xbox 360 montages still need good music though.

Ranger X

Well I guess I am happy. Such talented man must want a futur! Good luck Dave, it's the right choice you're making I am sure!

Aaaaand now Rare is now "complete shit" instead of just being "shitty". It's the end.

Wizpig

Jesus Christ, Rare.

Just...

I don't know, i don't really know what to say.
You guys remember all the fuss when Rare was sold or when their 360 games proved to be not-so-popular, but at those times i still had faith, i enjoyed recent games like N&B.
I knew it wasn't the same Rare i loved on 64, but still...

Yeah, i know, cool story bro. [:(]
It's just to say... I lost all faith in Rare in these last few weeks of awful news regarding them.
Bitter tears.
I guess this time it really is over.

Wizpig said:
Jesus Christ, Rare.

Just...

I don't know, i don't really know what to say.
You guys remember all the fuss when Rare was sold or when their 360 games proved to be not-so-popular, but at those times i still had faith, i enjoyed recent games like N&B.
I knew it wasn't the same Rare i loved on 64, but still...

Yeah, i know, cool story bro. [:(]
It's just to say... I lost all faith in Rare in these last few weeks of awful news regarding them.
Bitter tears.
I guess this time it really is over.
It was over several years ago, even before the mega transaction, it's just that many people didn't want to see it.

Kamille

David Wise is probably one of my top 3 game composers of all time. His work on DKC2's soundtrack was incredible. It's somewhat sad to see him leaving Rare because they're who I associate him with. It's mostly sad because it seems like just another reminder that the Rare of old is a thing of the past. Which isn't a knock on the current Rare, as there's still plenty of talented people there. I just have fond memories of beating Rare games, then seeing these familiar names scroll by in the credits. I'd see D. Wise's name under music, and feel like, "ofcourse! that's why the soundtrack kicked so much ass!"

I'd be sadder if he said he were retiring from the industry altogether, but hopefully his work'll turn up in other upcoming games.

Man I feel bad, but I can't blame him really. He hasn't really had an opportunity to write a full soundtrack to a game since Starfox Adventures (the GBA DKCs don't really count)

The guy's a legend, any company would be crazy not to take him on! (hint hint Nintendo!)

faridmon

how the mighty have fallen.

so its true, the higher you go the harder you fall.

anyway, i really want to play a game with Wise as a composer. please make it happen next year or the year after that. I loved Wise' work on Donkey Kong Country.

hopefully not an FPS.

Michan

Damnit. Grant Kirkhope out of the picture was a real blow, but Dave Wise sticking around was what gave me faith in Rare's music department. This is really, really bad news for Rare and their followers.

Not that I don't appreciate Beanland and the like, but these two guys put Rare on that map when it came to audio for the last two decades. Everything they worked on was brilliant to listen to. Absolutely devastating news.

Michan

AniHawk said:
I think that will grant Grant Kirkhope some hope.
He's actually been struggling to get by since Big Huge Games ran out of money and laid off a bunch of staff. Not sure how they're doing now...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Operations said:
It was over several years ago, even before the mega transaction, it's just that many people didn't want to see it.

Anyone that thought Rare was good after the N64 (even though that was debatable) were crazy.

Though Conker on X-box wasn't bad, minus the censoring

Azure J

I wish if Wise & Kirkhope could find their way back to Nintendo somehow, or hell anyone who'd put their talents to good use often, but in whatever endeavor Wise (and Kirkhope) go through, I wish them the best.

That said, Jesus Rare, what are you all doing? :(

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
wow, this is a death blow. I loved Wise's work on Diddy Kong Racing, so many great tunes that take me back to my childhood.

The Rare of old is dead, they're not the same anymore. It's over.

Top Bottom