• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has one of the weirdest openings I've seen in a long time

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST FEW MISSIONS/HOUR

So let me start this by saying that Fallout 4 is not a bad game. I don't think it's amazing either but it's not bad. It's definitely the most shallow game Bethesda has ever produced and I hate that the game literally showers you in guns and ammo from the start, but I still enjoy wandering around and exloring the world.

However. The first few hours of Fallout 4 are so incredibly awkward, I can't really fathom it. Especially if you consider how smart they handeled the opening for Fallout 3. Obviously just repeating the same thing wouldn't be great either but what they came up with instead is kinda mind-boggeling. So I'm gonna run you through the events of maybe the first hour or so and you tell me if any of this sounds.....weird to you.
First of, it's already weird to me that the character I make already has a long history in this world, I'm married, I have a son and apparently I studied Law at some point cause there is a diploma. But whatever. Not important (right now)

So the game starts, and a few seconds after character creation somebody knocks on the door of your house: It's a Vault-Tec guy, informing you that you and your family got a place in the new Vault Tec bunker that conveniently was built ~2 minutes away from your house. Sweet.
After you close the door, your house robot informs you that your baby-son (that you love very much, so you are told) needs you to press the A key for him, so you go there and do it. IMMEDIATELY after this happens your robot calls you again, because the fucking bombs are dropping. Yes. Literally SECONDS after you were informed that you got a place in the Vault-Tec bunker, the bombs are dropping. If this Vaul-Tec guy would have been here a minute later, the entire game wouldn't happen.

So your partner grabs your son and you rush to the bunker, get on some plattform and get to safety as an atomic explosion sweeps accross the land, and approximately 5 feets above your head (no, that's really how it is. You are on an elevator going down and the blast misses you by ~5 feet). In the bunker you are immediately rushed to some "deconatmination" chamber which turns out to be a cryogenic chamber (nobody told you because it's supposed to be a secret for some reason) and you, and your husband/son are frozen. Then you wake up, some dudes steal your son and kill your husband and take off. You get out, stumble through the tutorial and finally make it back to your house (which is a nice scene, I have to admit).

Assuming you don't do what people usually do in Bethesda games, i.e. ignore the plot and run away to do other stuff, you then go to a very small destroyed town that's probably 2 minutes away from your home. You see some raider attacking a building and being the protagonist and all you intervene (or again, run off and return 50 hours later). So you kill ~5 raiders and are then given a Power Armor, rip a minigun off a plane and kill another 10 raiders and a deathclaw. Yes. Yes that happening. Remember, that at this point, for your character, s/he has been in this world for maybe an hour. For her (or him) the bombs went off not even a day ago. But whatever, it's videogames. Gotta start with a big fight, right?

So you save the day and the 4 people in the building decide "Hey, it's not save here! Let's all move to that place that is 2 minutes away from here, nobody will find us there" (Of course it takes them ~30 minutes to get there because they sure are in no hurry getting through the open wasteland in the middle of the night). Then the head-dude of the survivors basically says "Wow, you did so great, why don't you and only you rebuilt this entire village?" which is basically the town-building tutorial. After you do that (you can skip it if you want) you go on one other mission for this guy, after which he IMMEDIATELY (I know I use that word too much) makes to the leader of the organisation he's part of (to be fair, he says he is the last one but it's still an organisation people in the wasteland know everywhere and of course you will rebuild it to it's former glory, whether you want to or not). Again, yes that happens: Imm...Right after your return he just says "Wow, you killed more Raiders. You know what, I'm gonna call you General from now on and YOU are now the leader of our movement. I know you can do it because you helped us earlier. Now go and rebuild some other towns too!"

Listen, I'm not one of those ludonarrative disonance people, right? But this is just silly. In the span of maybe 2 hours, your character experiences this:
-Her entire world get's blown up
-Her husband is killed
-Her son is kidnapped
-She kills a couple of people (I think it's implied that you were a veteran but it's not really explained?)
-She is in sole charge of rebuilding a village
-And now she also is the leader of some well known, if dead, movement in this world she knows nothing about.

As I said earlier, the game wastes(lands) NO time, showering you with guns. Heck, you get a laser rifle and a freaking Minigun in the mission I just talked about. AND a power armor. But not only that, imm...promptly after your arrival you are just instantly decleared to be one of the most important people around. Instantly.
Come on, this is really weird. And when I say weird, I mean BAD.
It's the typical "Oh no, my starting village! Oh no, my beloved NPCs!" cliche at the start of any RPG, laired with the "YOU....are the chosen one! You have to lead us...." crap on top of it.
What is even happening. At this point I expect to be crowned king of the universe any second now, I just need my magical starship. As I said, I still like the game but wow, this was bad.
What are your thought on it?

Edit: I wrote way too much about this, sorry. Also, please don't just say "Well, you didn't really expect Bethesda to write a good story, didn't you?" I'm gonna ignore a bad story just because the people behind it always make bad stories. That's not how it's supposed to work

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've only played up until the part when I just left the vault but I agree 100% with what you mean. The fact that everything happened so quickly was a total immersion killer for me. Especially the whole "sign the papers, 2 minuter later, nuclear bomb - and hey look, the vault is right next to us!"-thing.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've only played up until the part when I just left the vault but I agree 100% with what you mean. The fact that everything happened so quickly was a total immersion killer for me. Especially the whole "sign the papers, 2 minuter later, nuclear bomb - and hey look, the vault is right next to us!"-thing.

That's Bethesda's writing for you.

darkbanjo

Can't really disagree with anything that you're saying. The intro to the game is fine, but it raises a lot of questions that I don't think are going to be addressed at any point. Seems like an exciting opening that came at the detriment of the game's logic.

I am about 15 minutes further than you and my reaction at that point was pretty much:

latest

My thoughts are:

This is fun, and yay, more Bethesda!

While the Fallout lore/setting doesn't click with me in the same way the ES universe does, this is definitely my favorite Fallout so far, and I think Bethesda has improved significantly in their storytelling and characters, even from Skyrim.

I hope this conversation system makes it to the next ES game.

And while yeah, there's a lot going on in the beginning, it's basically just the first couple hours of tutorial to make sure you understand the new systems in play (how to use power armor, the settlement stuff, etc).

gar3

Honestly? After the length of time it took to be "free" in Fallout 3 I was quite happy to get through the entire opening of Fallout 4 in about 35 minutes. I don't care about whatever the latest claptrap main story is, I just wanna go out and explore and shoot stuff in the face. So for me I very much enjoyed the quick and to the point opening to Fallout 4.

I totally agree that the intro fell completely flat for me too. It was oddly rushed and I'm hardly invested in the story due to it. I can appreciate getting to the point because I actually just wanted to step out onto the wasteland and do my own thing asap. Despite this I couldn't help but notice how lame the entire beginning was.

Fantastapotamus

I liked it

Wanted to get to the wasteland ASAP and they delivered

That's fine, I can understand that (felt the same in Oblivion, where they took forever). I'm just looking at it from a story perspective, since I'm always interested in games' stories. If you only want to run around the wasteland, which is the best part of the game, if probably a fine opening.

While the Fallout lore/setting doesn't click with me in the same way the ES universe does, this is definitely my favorite Fallout so far, and I think Bethesda has improved significantly in their storytelling and characters, even from Skyrim.

You....you are the anti-christ of gaming!

GRaider81

Well Ive had a different experience after I helped the Minutemen at the museum.

I never followed them (though I do know what happens thanks to my friend telling me).

I met a feud at a diner then after that I picked up a military distress signal.......

nynt9

I agree that it's weird and rushed and generally stilted, but it really doesn't matter to me. If it was longer it would be frustrating.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It's a Bethesda game. The whole world is literally just there waiting for You, Protagonist to show up and solve all their problems.

What I can't stop thinking about is how it's supposedly been 200+ years since the bombs but nobody has cleaned up anything at all. Everything looks like the bombs dropped 2 weeks ago. It's insane. I mean literally insane, if you spend any time at all thinking about this plot point the entire house of cards tumbles down.

I know it's a videogame, but come on, man. Care about your world. I can only suspend my disbelief for so much.

You're right about the opening though, it's all really weird. Also how the intro assumes you're the man. I wish games would learn to do some cinematic editing, I don't get why this all has to happen in 5 minutes and they couldn't do some jump cuts forward in time like Thirty Flights of Loving (but maybe not as extreme). They could keep the intro just as short but make it 100% more believable by inserting some cuts so that it isn't all "this all happens in 5 minutes"

Denton

Bethesda considers logic and consistency to be swear words. Too bad only few game journalists care about this stuff.

Funny thing

The first thing my buddy asked about when he came in the door was how long the intro was

Clearly after this many sequels it makes sense to get "right to it"

pargonta

-She kills a couple of people (I think it's implied that you were a veteran but it's not really explained?)

In the pre-war prologue, in the closet of the master bedroom, there are military fatigues on the shelf. when selected VO says something like "I'm so proud of Him" ..that being the significant other.. that always being the Man like the narrator of the intro cinema?

i'm playing as female so i don't know. But I'm thinking it's always your husband/wife that is a vet.

NIN90

I dislike that they had me fucking up a Deathclaw merely 2 hours into the game. Those things were scary as shit in NV.

Corpekata

Banned
In the pre-war prologue, in the closet of the master bedroom, there are military fatigues on the shelf. when selected VO says something like "I'm so proud of Him" ..that being the significant other.. that always being the Man like the narrator of the intro cinema?

i'm playing as female so i don't know. But I'm thinking it's always your husband/wife that is a vet.

No, it's the guy.

Guy is a veteran, woman is a lapsed lawyer. One of the recordings mentions her dusting her law degree off.

KorrZ

It does seem a bit out of whack when you write it out like that but tbh, I've never felt anything weird about it when playing.

It's not like playing The Witcher or Dragon Age or something where I feel that my character needs to fit within an existing structure. Bethesda games are more about exploring the world as the player rather than as the avatar you happen to be inhabiting.

I dislike that they had me fucking up a Deathclaw merely 2 hours into the game. Those things were scary as shit in NV.

I don't know about you but the Deathclaw still scared the shit out of me when it picked me up in my power armor and tosses me aside like I was nothing.

MMaRsu

Banned
My thoughts are:

This is fun, and yay, more Bethesda!

And while yeah, there's a lot going on in the beginning, it's basically just the first couple hours of tutorial to make sure you understand the new systems in play (how to use power armor, the settlement stuff, etc).

Are you serious? You want this " baby's first rpg" horrible dialogue system in TES too?

What the f...

Johndoey

Banned
Why didn't they just have like a Two Months later title card flash up or something? That at least seems better than the sign papers on no bombs tho.

It's bad. It's also bizarre that your character is totally acclimated to warping 200 years into the future after talking to a robot for a couple minutes. The whole thing is a mess and my drive to play increased a lot once I got away from the story and just started wandering around.

Fantastapotamus

I agree that it's weird and rushed and generally stilted, but it really doesn't matter to me. If it was longer it would be frustrating.

I just think that if you want to set up your story in this way, you should do it properly. New Vegas, for example, wasted no time and immediately threw you into the world and that was fine. But a lot of work was done in this game to create a completely stupid thing that nobody will like, and that's fascinating to me.

It's not like playing The Witcher or Dragon Age or something where I feel that my character needs to fit within an existing structure. Bethesda games are more about exploring the world as the player rather than as the avatar you happen to be inhabiting.

I just don't think that's an excuse anymore. Because they absolutely could be that.

JeffGrubb

I think you are lacking perspective.

You are going to run out of ammo for those guns. You are going to begin dealing with radiation sickness. You are going to realize that most people don't give a shit about the Minutemen.

Fallout 4 is hardcore, and I think the intro counters that to give players momentum.

And what you are complaining about is a game with good pace.

Are you serious? You want this " baby's first rpg" horrible dialogue system in TES too?

What the f...

They should just throw away that portion and focus on environmental and written storytelling

My favorite parts are the quiet, errie monster infested areas with terminal logs strewn about telling me what happened

I also enjoy interactive environment set pieces. I wont spoil the ones I have run into

120v

i'm assuming valt tec/vault tec guy had the whole thing planned, more or less, to get you in the cryo chamber, knowing the bombs were dropping soon. which explains why that went down so fast

not a spoiler, just speculation (haven't made it far in the game myself)

Sh1ner

Yea I struggled with this too. As soon as he made me General I was decided to start skipping his speeches and just turn up wherever they want me to kill things.

During the relocate, we came across like 2 bugs. That's it, everyone walked super slowly so it dragged out for something like 10 minutes. At the end he is like "You did great!"

I sighed and decided to ignore the main quest and go explore.

Renekton

Listen, I'm not one of those ludonarrative disonance people, right? But this is just silly. In the span of maybe 2 hours, your character experiences this:
-Her entire world get's blown up
-Her husband is killed
-Her son is kidnapped
-She is in sole charge of rebuilding a village
-And now she also is the leader of some well known, if dead, movement in this world she knows nothing about.
https://youtu.be/mqr3JfXkQig?t=2m38s

I feel the same way!

lol51

I felt the same way. I went in expecting the vault experience and they just yada yada'd it. Going down the elevator after the blast, I was like cool these are going to be the people I spend the next few missions with. Suddenly everyone had life support failure - death from asphyxiation.

I think if they spent a little more time character building it would have been a better experience. The vault tec guy shows up seconds before the blast with the proper paperwork, doesn't feel believable and really rushed.

Bl@de

It's one of the worst introductions I've seen in a RPG. Should've made a cutscene and start with your character already frozen in the vault. Pacing, writing is simply abysmal in the first hour.

AEREC

Gotta agree with OP...played a bit last night just to see what the opening looked like (will start over again today) and the whole thing felt very awkward. I don't mind the main character having a past...but the whole signing up for the vault spot and 2 minutes later the nuclear event is incredibly weird. Not too mention no emotion or weight of the situation they are in is captured by Bethesda's janky animation system or character modeling.

Johndoey

Banned

You are going to run out of ammo for those guns. You are going to begin dealing with radiation sickness. You are going to realize that most people don't give a shit about the Minutemen.

Fallout 4 is hardcore, and I think the intro counters that to give players momentum.

Going as quickly as possible really isn't good pacing.

Most players will be quite narcissistic. They don't really mind or notice a game that instantly calls them the most important and capable person on the planet while having insanely improbable things work in their favour. In fact they find it weird and frustrating when this doesn't happen. Skyrim was basically the same thing. People just glancing at you then instantly deciding you are turbo Jesus before bowing down to worship you and making you their leader.

I haven't really been told I'm an incredibly important person yet... so spoilers I guess? I have however
gotten the minute men in Concord to Sanctuary.
But the opening was definitely not up to par with previous fallouts. It felt very shallow comparitively. Too much like a tutorial for a tutorials sake and not enough part of an engaging plot. It seems like they just came up with the most basic catalyst possible. But I've barely played anything, so we'll see.

I completely understand what you're saying about showering us with gear, and the fact that pretty much out of the gate we can craft a suprising array of weapon/armor mods makes finding great weapons (which should be rewarding) seem trivial. I'm on survival difficulty as I was hoping to have a real fallout experience with limited resources and I'm finding I have more than enough resources to handle anything with tons of gear to spare. There's way too much gear lying around for my tastes and it's definitely detracting from the experience.

ekim

Yeah - the pacing at the start is really awkward. But after 6 hours I finally got to Diamond City. From there on the game massively improves in every aspect.I guess the beginning was somewhat shoehorned in as some kind of "here's the cool things you can do later on" tutorial.

luchadork

early spoilers

my character is awfully cheery for someone who just lost their husband/child/world.

"hey, have you seen my kid?"
"no. but i'll give you some bottlecaps if you help me do my gardening."
"ok. sounds good."

"literally a few hours ago, i was running for safety into a bunker but instead i got tricked and was frozen for 200 years. i saw my husband murdered right before my eyes and someone stole my child. everything got nuked. everyone i know is dead. what has happened to humanity. i have no idea what the fuck is going on. please. help me. what do i do?"
"i'll tell you. but i'll need some mentats."
"ok. i'll get you some!"

Fantastapotamus

After 7 hours, I still have 600 shots for my minigun, 120 for my laster rifle, ~80 for my multiple shotguns, ~40 for my sniper rifle, 30 stimpacks, ~100 shot 10mm Ammo and a rocket launcher.

Edit: Sorry, it's only 300 shots for the minigun

Randdalf

If you read the terminal logs in Vault 111, the overseer talks about persuading this "one family" to join the vault just in time. He also mentions that they were setting up the Vault beforehand, which implies they knew the nukes were coming. It also mentions how the entire settlement was employed by the vault, either as staff or as test subjects (or both? was the real experiment on the staff?), hence the proximity of the vault to Sanctuary Hills.

ran93r

The dialogue as you are walking down in to the Vault is just bizarre.

You have literally just ran from your home, narrowly missed getting scalped by a nuclear blast and it's all:

"well, I guess this is home now."

In the same tone of voice you would use to tell someone you were casually going to the store to pick up some beans.

big_erk

I am about 15 minutes further than you and my reaction at that point was pretty much:

latest

Yeah, that was my reaction, kind of. Except the Vault-Tec guy was acting nervous as hell. Like he knew something was about to happen. Like he was running out of time., and he was.

Corpekata

Banned
I think the biggest issue is that they force this very specific back story on you and then the lead is just very bland in general, and it's very hard to really give them a character with the limited dialogue options. Like why go voiced and this heavy back story and not even do much of anything with it. At least with the Bioware games they seem to be emulating it was easy to get a feel for their lead's personality and tailor them a bit more to your liking.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Needless to say spoilers (first 15 min only) ahead.

On the overseers computer terminal it states how the majority of people made it to the vault 'including that family who left it to the last minute' also I think you significant other states that the vault-tec salesman is at the door again. While not making excuses (it does all happen very quickly) it is explained somewhat. I would have liked to see like 1 or even 2 other people survive being frozen, also if I had just lost my wife and saw my son kidnapped I be a bit sadder than my character was, maybe I'm a wuss...

I wouldn't say it's weird, just not played out as well as it could have been.

repeater

Sounds like Bethesda all right. I've long since stopped buying their games at launch, but this (as the OP describes it) reminds me of the beginning of Oblivion. First thing you're rescuing this monk from a monastery who unbeknownst even to himself is the heir to the throne. He's lived most of his adult life in seclusion from the outside world in the monastery, praying and performing mundane work. One hour later, when you meet him for the first time at the castle where he has been appointed King, he is going on about Daedric curses and Oblivion gates and great wars like he hasn't done anything else in his life.

So, I guess: Bethesda gonna Bethesda. Strong writing and believable characters are not to be expected in their games, nor are those, it seems, what people look to these games for. Which is fair enough.

Right now, in an alternate universe, someone just made a Neogaf thread about Fallout 4's boring three-hour long opening tutorial mission.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Most people are moaning about the jankyness and I've not really experienced it.

I have experienced similar feelings to yours though. I can't quite put my finger on it but it really lacks what I feel New Vegas had. It's very much like Fallout 3 with some mods to me.

What the f...

I am 100% serious. I've played every Bethesda title since Arena, and this is legitimately the first time their conversation system feels like an actual human conversation. I'm totally behind the changes they made, and I think it makes for more compelling character interaction than their previous "click down this list until it's all faded out" system.

Top Bottom