• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess HD officially announced.

I like TP, and i'm already set with my pre-ordered Limited Edition, thanks to the heads-up from here!

But i think it's probably the 3D Zelda where Nintendo most played "safe". It's basically another OoT, even shares large similarities in the map and all.
OoT was the first 3D game, so that's the unique thing, MM had the focus on the 3 day cycle and the NPC interaction and questing. WW had it's special art-style and the sailing stuff and Skyward Sword the (real) motion controls and the dungeon-like world design.

TP is just ... a 3D Zelda, but after the WW backlash and the fan-demands for another "realistic" 3D Zelda, i really can't blame them for giving the fans what they did want back then.

TheJoRu

I mean an upgrade is nice all but isn't this everyones least Zelda favorite game? Or was it just that it took a few hours up front for the game to get going?

It's one of the best Zelda-games. I think the intro was fine; it was long, and I think there is room to cut it down, but it was pleasant and Ordon was a nice enough place. The only part I genuinely dislike is the wolf-parts before you get the Master Sword. Gathering tears was boring, and playing as the wolf never felt as fulfilling as playing in human-form.

Everything else about the game ranges from good to sublime, in my book.

Scrawnton

Skyward Sword is my least favorite 3D Zelda followed by Ocarina of Time. I respect OoT for being first and pioneering the genre into 3r, but the game is just flat to me compared to WW, MM and TP. I'd love to replay this game in HD. I never understand the crap a majority of people threw at this game in the past.

PKrockin

I mean an upgrade is nice all but isn't this everyones least Zelda favorite game? Or was it just that it took a few hours up front for the game to get going?
Ever since Majora's Mask each 3D Zelda has faced backlash (some more deservedly than others) and it seems to me like people generally warmed up to them more by the time the remakes came out. Might just be me hanging out in older groups and more curated forums now though.

I guess part of the reason there's that hyperbole is they're so hotly anticipated. The 3D Zeldas come out every 5 years and where else are you going to get the same mixture of equal parts action, adventure, exploration, and puzzle solving wrapped up in an immersive package? Mega Man Legends 3? lol

I imagine a lot of TP backlash comes from its visuals not ageing well.
Which i find surprising, not sure when visuals made a game better. I think Wind Waker is probably the worst 3D Zelda despite looking the nicest.
I appreciate each for what they try to do and they are all pretty great.
I'm hoping for SS to get some love like WW and TP did whenever it gets a re-release. One of my favorites despite being more linear it was just fun to play and had probably the best main story of any Zelda game (with MM having the best side quests) and also top notch dungeons.
I do think Nintendo should always go for stylized visuals, visuals that would upscale well and age nicely. Colorful with some cellshading would look nice always.

Ultimadrago

Yes, it's right down there with Skyward Sword as one of the least enjoyable Zelda titles. So, that makes it easy to pass on. I'd still like to see all the improvements they are planning on adding though.

Every new Zelda (Smash, Mario Kart, etc.) is the least favorite Zelda for some. Especially here on GAF, because they totally remember how great the first Zelda was when they played it as kid and surprisingly none of the successor could bring back these feelings. The problem is they enjoyed all the new stuff back than but don't want even small changes (art style, controls, NPC) in the series after that.

Jackano

I'm hoping for SS to get some love like WW and TP did whenever it gets a re-release. One of my favorites despite being more linear it was just fun to play and had probably the best main story of any Zelda game (with MM having the best side quests) and also top notch dungeons.
I do think Nintendo should always go for stylized visuals, visuals that would upscale well and age nicely. Colorful with some cellshading would look nice always.
SS indeed need to be better looking. Even when it came out the SD resolution and textures felt like wasted opportunity to me.

I built a quick list of the state of the best re-releases for each Zelda games.
It's a quick list, made in 5-10 mins, so sorry if I forgot something. I didn't go beyond SS because it is the last mainline title with a single release.
It's accronym heavy, but I'm sure Zelda fans will understand. Everyone else, catch up with the right accronyms :)

TLoZ => BS "enhanced port", else only re-released numerous times
TAoL => only re-released numerous times
ALttP => BS "enhanced port", else GBA ALttP/FS "enhanced port" : FS => FSAE "enhanced port"
LA => GBC LADX "enhanced port"
OoT => 3DS OoT3D remake
MM => 3DS MM3D remake
OoA/OoS => only VC
TWW => WiiU TWWHD "HD port"
FSA => nothing :(
TMC => only ambassadors & WiiU VC (lol)
TP => WiiU TPHD "HD port"
PH/ST => only WiiU VC (lol)
LCT => nothing
SS => probably NeXt

So SS is the last from the SD era, and you also can keep in mind that 3DS exclusives that came after it like ALBW and TFH will only be playable on 3DS for quiet some time, if you agree with me that emulation and backward compatibility are out of question for the rest of the decade at least.

jmizzal

Which i find surprising, not sure when visuals made a game better. I think Wind Waker is probably the worst 3D Zelda despite looking the nicest.

I agree SS was prob the most fun Zelda game to play

And all the other 3D Zelda games go re-releases, so I expect SS to get a NX HD remaster, considering we are getting Zelda U most likely at launch on NX it will be a long time for the next main 3D zelda game, so they will need to release something during the off Zelda years.

I can see
2016 Zelda NX/WiiU
2017 Hyrule Warriors 2
2018 Top down Zelda NX Handheld, but plays on NX console
2019 Zelda SS HD
2020 Next main Zelda

Nerrel

Most remasters don't come with collectible figurines of Midna either.

... And most remasters also aren't Zelda games of Zelda-game calibur quality.

It doesn't matter how good the game is. Charging $50 for a resolution bump and a texture pack is ridiculous.

RE4 is one of the greatest games ever made. It got a cheap "ultimate HD edition" on PC that just uncapped the resolution and upped the framerate to 60fps. It was pretty disappointing for Capcom's "ultimate" version of the game, but it was $20. The price reflected the low amount of improvement. REmake HD was also a pretty cheap upscale job with little in the ways of actual remastering, but it only cost $20 too.

I'd consider this game to be in line with those kinds of remasters in terms of the visual improvement, yet it costs over twice as much. Unless there are some massive overhauls to the gameplay, this is an incredible rip-off.

georly

And all the other 3D Zelda games go re-releases, so I expect SS to get a NX HD remaster, considering we are getting Zelda U most likely at launch on NX it will be a long time for the next main 3D zelda game, so they will need to release something during the off Zelda years.

I can see
2016 Zelda NX/WiiU
2017 Hyrule Warriors 2
2019 Zelda SS HD
2020 Next main Zelda

Sounds good to me, but IDEALLY we get majora's mask treatment or DLC 2nd story for zelda U before 2020. SS HD will be tough without Wiimote support, if NX doesn't use wiimotes. 2nd stick sword controls would be meh.

If zelda U is a zelda 1 remake, I want zelda u to have zelda 2 story as dlc (zelda's sleeping, gotta find triforce of courage!)

Astral Dog

To be honest, overall i felt like the series has recieved better reviews than it deserves. since MM, although WW tried to change its presentation and at least delivered a wonderful, charming world with the art style and its characters.

But its like Zelda is a critical darling very difficult to put down, as TP or SS, wich were very good games but had a variety of issues i was surprised they got 90+ and other examples o_O

Of course you could say that about other series/games as well :p opinions. speaking of that, here is a controversial one.

Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks soundtracks > Twilight Princess

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Skyward Sword would look amazing in HD. But it'd also be the hardest to port since it's exclusively motion controls and Nintendo is trying to get away from that now. There'd be no traditional control method for it since it would completely break the game. Everything is motion controls.

I'm currently trying to continue through it right now and it's all motion controls. Motion controls. Motion controls. The first dungeon boss is so hard because motion controls. Even with the Motion Plus controller it's still not accurate enough. And it requires constant recalibration. But I've never finished it. I started it on my Wii and got to the second dungeon then stopped and never went back. Then a year ago I restarted on my Wii U and stopped over an hour before the first dungeon and only just last night got back to it and am only in the second dungeon now.

Motion controls suck.

But I must persist. I must clear it from my backlog before TPHD.

To be honest, overall i felt like the series has recieved better reviews than it deserves. since MM, although WW tried to change its presentation and at least delivered a wonderful, charming world with the art style and its characters.

But its like Zelda is a critical darling very difficult to put down, as TP or SS, wich were very good games but had a variety of issues i was surprised they got 90+ and other examples o_O

Of course you could say that about other series/games as well :p opinions. speaking of that, here is a controversial one.

Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks soundtracks > Twilight Princess
IDK, Zelda games are pretty great. If anything is going to receive 9 and 10/10s it's that.
Though the high reviews usually raise people's expectations and makes them more prone to being upset when playing it usually resulting in the Zelda cycle or whatever.
I'm currently trying to continue through it right now and it's all motion controls. Motion controls. Motion controls. The first dungeon boss is so hard because motion controls. Even with the Motion Plus controller it's still not accurate enough. And it requires constant recalibration. But I've never finished it. I started it on my Wii and got to the second dungeon then stopped and never went back. Then a year ago I restarted on my Wii U and stopped over an hour before the first dungeon and only just last night got back to it and am only in the second dungeon now.

Motion controls suck.

But I must persist. I must clear it from my backlog before TPHD.
Ghirahim is tough, there's a trick to him i learnt after beating the game, though.
You don't need to constantly calibrate, if you have the sensor bar plugged in it'll callibrate automatically (pointing to the TV=have the sword centered) also pressing down on the D-pad if it gets a bit wonky.
I love the controls in that game and a lot of other people do, but I will admit that it takes some adapting and monkeying around with your set up. If there's too much sunlight then it's unplayable because that interferes with the controls (happened to me, so I would know. Closed the blinds and then everything worked)
I'd also recommend learning the shield bash. It's super satisfying to pull off and something I really hope carries over

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just remembered I also haven't finished Wind Waker HD. (Of course I beat the original back in the day) I got so obsessed with 100%-ing the game that I've been hunting for the last heart pieces and items required for completion before I go to Hyrule to face Gannondorf. Guess I know what I need to do after finishing Skyward Sword.

Ghirahim is tough, there's a trick to him i learnt after beating the game, though.
You don't need to constantly calibrate, if you have the sensor bar plugged in it'll callibrate automatically (pointing to the TV=have the sword centered) also pressing down on the D-pad if it gets a bit wonky.
I love the controls in that game and a lot of other people do, but I will admit that it takes some adapting and monkeying around with your set up. If there's too much sunlight then it's unplayable because that interferes with the controls (happened to me, so I would know. Closed the blinds and then everything worked)
I'd also recommend learning the shield bash. It's super satisfying to pull off and something I really hope carries over
Motion controls make it difficult to just play it on the couch or sitting on the bed. (I was playing with the GamePad right in front of me and it works great.) But it still required constant "Down recalibrating" every time I entered a menu that used the Wiimote for choosing items or menu selections. And the weapon selection menu kept breaking to the point I couldn't get it to point down unless I actually tilted the controller 90º downwards. FFS. And 8 times out of 10 when I try to slash a certain way, it doesn't because it thinks its slightly a different angle. So if an enemy is expecting a horizontal slash it might do a slight diagonal one and not register as correct and forces a lot of extra wasted time fighting enemies.

Litri

oti

Banned
Available again at Amazon DE. http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B017XX1HO4/

Plus first amiibo pictures

wolf-link-amiibo-1-620x413.jpg

wolf-link-amiibo-2-620x413.jpg

wolf-link-amiibo-3-620x413.jpg

AniHawk

I can see
2016 Zelda NX/WiiU
2017 Hyrule Warriors 2
2019 Zelda SS HD
2020 Next main Zelda

i actually kind of wonder if they'd do oot hd and mm hd at some point too. maybe it'd be taking just the 3ds versions and cleaning them up, but i could see them pushing those two again. at least ocarina, considering how so very popular it still is.

Ein Bear

i actually kind of wonder if they'd do oot hd and mm hd at some point too. maybe it'd be taking just the 3ds versions and cleaning them up, but i could see them pushing those two again. at least ocarina, considering how so very popular it still is.

I'd be very happy if the released spruced up ports of the 3DS remakes on a home console.

OoT3D and MM3D are lovely, but just really aren't the sort of games I want to play on a handheld. I've gone back to the N64 versions for subsequent replays.

d00d3n

Skyward Sword would look amazing in HD. But it'd also be the hardest to port since it's exclusively motion controls and Nintendo is trying to get away from that now. There'd be no traditional control method for it since it would completely break the game. Everything is motion controls.
*snip*

Yeah, moving sword pointing to the right stick would probably make the game too easy. The first temple would go from being a great introduction to directional sword combat to being one of the most uninteresting temples in the entire game. It is logical that Nintendo would accept subpar graphics in the Twilight Princess port, because the gameplay would still shine, but motion control less Skyward Sword would be shipping a bad game in every sense ...

Jackano

It's hard to foresee, as I think this will be in at least 5 years and we don't know how things can turn until then in the VG landscape. I mean, years ago, we couldn't even guess "HD ports".

But yeah Ocarina of Time will probably be a game that will be rebooted/remade for a second time when some new industry standards will command it. As I listed, only Skyward Sword is remaining to remake in HD. Maybe OoT will merge content with MM next time, maybe it will be first person (like it was at some point during development) and VR, etc...

Cool. Never got a chance to play this on Wii, I might give it a shot this time around. Well, they still need to give Wii U a price cut before I go for it.

Nerrel

Yeah, moving sword pointing to the right stick would probably make the game too easy.

I don't even think the game would be possible with this method. You not only have to swing, but maneuver the sword around in space to confuse the eye locks and to fake out Ghirahim. It would be a mess to try to map all of this onto an analog stick, and even if you could do it, it would not be any fun to use at all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Don't Trust Nintendo Sweden :lol. The site isn't even run by Nintendo but by Bergsala AB, who's a distributor of Nintendo products in Scandinavia, treat it as second hand information until shown otherwise.

Mistle

I really enjoyed SS also. Only played it once though so who knows if my thoughts hold up the second time.

The impressionist DOF effect and textures look so good on Dolphin, it's a shame the Wii's resolution just make it a faint blur.

Anth0ny

there's no such thing as "everyones least favorite Zelda game"

I've seen literally every Zelda as someone's favorite and least favorite. it's probably the most divisive series in video games.

KHlover

Banned

I've seen literally every Zelda as someone's favorite and least favorite. it's probably the most divisive series in video games.
Yeah. Zelda is pretty much Nintendo's Sonic in terms of fragmented fanbase.

thatdenalidude

Neo Member

It's to the point where when someone asks which one's my favorite I just say all of them, cause otherwise I'll just get into an argument over two great games.

I keep trying to tell people this whenever they ask for a consensus on Zelda games. There are fans and haters for every single game in the series, without much disparity in the ratio of them between games, either.

It's to the point where when someone asks which one's my favorite I just say all of them, cause otherwise I'll just get into an argument over two great games.

Yup

I keep trying to tell people this whenever they ask for a consensus on Zelda games. There are fans and haters for every single game in the series, without much disparity in the ratio of them between games, either.

tbh, I find this to be the series' biggest liability right now. How do you arrive at a solid franchise identity when you're used to pulling a u-turn every time? Zelda isn't cheap to make these days.

Ein Bear

My favourite Zelda game is always whichever one I played most recently. I love every game in that series so damn much.

Except Skyward Sword :(

TheJoRu

I checked with Bergsala (the Scandinavian distributor of Nintendo-products) regarding the listing of Wiimote+Nunchuk-support, and they said (translated from Swedish):

This is a bit speculative on our part. We will remove this information until we can say for sure what the control scheme will be like, this has not been confirmed by Nintendo.

So there you go.

Top Bottom