• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PC Steam on January 28

Razyl

So. The german press release also talks about support for the brand new "Nvidia VXAO", the first time ever in a game. Does anybody knows what this is?

Heres the german quote:

Die Entwickler von Crystal Dynamics und Nixxes Software bringen die packende Geschichte und feindseligen Umgebungen des Spiels mit atemberaubenden neuen Details auf den PC. Zu den neuen Features zählen Unterstützung für Windows 10, 4K-Bildschirmauflösungen, sowie zum erstem Mal in einem Spiel überhaupt, für die brandneue VXAO-Technologie von NVIDIA.

Kezen

Banned

?

So. The german press release also talks about support for the brand new "Nvidia VXAO", the first time ever in a game. Does anybody knows what this is?

Heres the german quote:

Die Entwickler von Crystal Dynamics und Nixxes Software bringen die packende Geschichte und feindseligen Umgebungen des Spiels mit atemberaubenden neuen Details auf den PC. Zu den neuen Features zählen Unterstützung für Windows 10, 4K-Bildschirmauflösungen, sowie zum erstem Mal in einem Spiel überhaupt, für die brandneue VXAO-Technologie von NVIDIA.
Voxel AO ?
Mentioned years ago by Nvidia.

Holy fuck. I wonder what is Durante's opinion on voxel based AO solutions.

Elixist

The only worry would be when Microsoft shifts strategy and leaves the program behind. Will it be well supported on Windows 13?

We have significant prior precedent for Microsoft quickly shifting strategy when it proves to be unprofitable, which leaves many systems completely abandoned and useless.

people are ready to drink the kool aid, which is a bit baffling considering their history with pc gaming.

Arkanius

Heres the german quote:

Don't know, but I bet it will tank framerates alright

Phinor

I wonder if retail copies (and Nvidia copies) activate on Steam. You can guess they will but that's just a guess at this point, right? If MS played this right (ie. used more money), those copies would only activate on their own store. Then again that would seriously limit the sales of this title but if they can attract any customers to their store..

That being said, I hope I never have to use any Windows store in any form. Actually I tried once but it wouldn't load properly so that was a great experience. Then I tried again with the 10 cent deals month ago but none of those deals were available in my region so another great experience. I would just skip this game if that was the case and buy it on a Steam sale later on.

VICI0US

I wonder if retail copies (and Nvidia copies) activate on Steam.

I got batman AK, MGSV, and witcher 3 with my 970.

batman and MGSV were steam, witcher 3 was GOG.

since GOG isn't an option, probably a safe assumption it's a steam key

brau

Screens Alcocat is trying to post are pretty cool looking.

I did the right thing waiting for it to come to pc.

link to shitty compressed twitter pics.

tumblr_o0hgbtT0Hh1qkq7tbo5_1280.png

tumblr_o0hgbtT0Hh1qkq7tbo7_1280.png

tumblr_o0hgbtT0Hh1qkq7tbo1_1280.png

tumblr_o0hgbtT0Hh1qkq7tbo2_1280.png

tumblr_o0hgbtT0Hh1qkq7tbo4_1280.png

tumblr_o0hgbtT0Hh1qkq7tbo3_1280.png

edited with better screens. Thanks NeoRaider.

Zedox

The only worry would be when Microsoft shifts strategy and leaves the program behind. Will it be well supported on Windows 13?

We have significant prior precedent for Microsoft quickly shifting strategy when it proves to be unprofitable, which leaves many systems completely abandoned and useless.

Just like how they got rid of the Windows 8 store after being abysmal (and people see that in the Windows 10 store for now...even though good apps have been coming recently)? MS isn't going to leave this store high and dry compared to other things as this is how they are going to make money off of Windows itself (since they are going to a Windows as a service...it will be a while when we see Windows "11").

I know the pain from GFWL but more importantly I felt MS' shift from win32 to WPF to Silverlight (and XNA) to WinRT and now to UWP for software development. You know how hard it is to keep learning a new language on a dime to try to make software. I actually do believe UWP will be the "last" thing we devs have to learn for a while just because of how Nadella is foreshadowing the priorities of the company. The store is where MS is trying to make money (not one for PCs, they want to get PC popular with the store so that it will help with their mobile offering). I don't see them abandoning it. I pray they don't as that will leave a way bigger trust issue with businesses (a way bigger market than gamers) and they won't fuck that up.

Krakn3Dfx

Following Rise of the Tomb Raider’s highly successful release exclusively for Xbox One and Xbox 360

...continues the positive momentum from our highly successful partnership and collaboration with Microsoft for the launch on Xbox One and Xbox 360

#HighlySuccessful

Dave_6

Very happy that I only did one play through on the Xbone version. I'll definitely be doing a 100% on this one!

Kezen

Banned
Wait, it's not W10 only right?
And it doesn't support DX12?

Better quality screens here:

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/136677825230/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-coming-to-windows-10-and

No DX12, but Voxel based AO seems extremely appealling, and it confirms the PC version will have more sophisticated rendering features on capable hardware.

That is all I take from the press release.
Those screenshots look phenomenal, but at the same time my 980 will never enable me to pretend to such IQ.

So do we have official word on which middleware this is gonna use, GPUOpen or GameWorks?

Heres the german quote:

Oh, wonder if this is an alternate solution to HBAO or a successor with brand new technique and better optimization.

Grief.exe

Just like how they got rid of the Windows 8 store after being abysmal (and people see that in the Windows 10 store for now...even though good apps have been coming recently)? MS isn't going to leave this store high and dry compared to other things as this is how they are going to make money off of Windows itself (since they are going to a Windows as a service...it will be a while when we see Windows "11").

I know the pain from GFWL but more importantly I felt MS' shift from win32 to WPF to Silverlight (and XNA) to WinRT and now to UWP for software development. You know how hard it is to keep learning a new language on a dime to try to make software. I actually do believe UWP will be the "last" thing we devs have to learn for a while just because of how Nadella is foreshadowing the priorities of the company. The store is where MS is trying to make money (not one for PCs, they want to get PC popular with the store so that it will help with their mobile offering). I don't see them abandoning it. I pray they don't as that will leave a way bigger trust issue with businesses (a way bigger market than gamers) and they won't fuck that up.

They are making money off the store, I read an article recently that they saw a massive increase in revenue YOY just from December alone.

I will say, your post does come as somewhat contradictory as you are arguing that this is here to say while in the same breath mentioning how many times they have made sweeping changes to strategy.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Windows 10 and Steam

I just hope MS will continue to offer their PC games (I know RoTR is just a timed exclusive) on both platforms.

LewieP

They don't have to entirely abandon it for the user experience to lessen when it is no longer actively supported.

Phinor

I had to jump in at that price to see the graphics on PC (despite 100%-ing the Xbone version). For future reference, is cdkeys.com a "fuck off developers, let's exploit regional price differences to get insanely low prices" thing, or is it legit?

The former. Not legit in the sense most people understand legit in this context.

Elixist

I had to jump in at that price to see the graphics on PC (despite 100%-ing the Xbone version). For future reference, is cdkeys.com a "fuck off developers, let's exploit regional price differences to get insanely low prices" thing, or is it legit?

probably a lil of both. i've used them for awhile and havent had any revoked keys or any shit like that.

Really looking forward to it. Do we know if/how GFW will be implemented for it?
£21 on cdkeys just now. Hope it might drop a little more closer to release :)

Remember they're bundling this with Nvidia cards, may be some cheap ones on ebay as well.

Top Bottom