• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drensch

Again, that video is all you need to know. Flight sims, racing, fps, previously pc dominated genres could easily be the best on rev. That plane demo mentioned in the impression also makes me think that the passing cone in madden could be really cool. Hold the controller like a football and throw. Now all Nintendo has to do is get rid of that lame 2d display. Hdtv this, hdtv that, fuck hdtv, we need a 3d display.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
After thinking it over, reading everyone's reactions and that dazzling video.. I am so hyped for this. This will be so fucking good.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Infinitemadness said:
even if there werent enough buttons for certain games, "buttons" can be placed on the HUD on screen and the user simply points and clicks at the "button" on the HUD and bam, instant change of weapon.

Hey, I didn't even think of that. You could be behind the controls of a futuristic tank, and you could easily press a button on the 'console' by pointing to it. This thing will be awesome for sims like that.

Papi

Drinky Crow said:
now your arm gets tired
That's what i was thinking.

And it's not like an analogue, since you need at least two and a half analogue sticks to mimic the single Revolution controller. Movement with the Revolution controller would probably be generally faster as well.

Drinky Crow said:
How is this any different than an analog stick, except now your arm gets tired? As for RTS games, it'll be HELL to bandbox without anything to rest your hand on. And pointing to select various GUI elements? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

This isn't a mouse substitute; it's not even an approximation. RTS, especially, are designed for MICE.

This is different than an analog stick in that it offers instantaneous and precise control and aim, similar to how a mouse is used on the pc. Open your mind for once to some new ideas instead of the same games with better graphics.

teiresias said:
In an ideal world the Revolution would be a major hit, PS3 would reign in first, and MS would be forced out of the console arena forever with their tail tucked between their legs.

Revolution won't be a launch day purchase for me unless there is something ubar intriguing coming out for it from the get-go - I'm going to have to wait and make sure there is real content that intuitively uses the controller for the thing rather than gimmick driven stuff that forces the use of the controller into inappropirate scenarios.

After that vid I'm definately buying it even if it has just some weird party game. I want to try this thing desperately.

PS. I want to save this vid on my hdd. Can anyone help? I've looked in the "page info" on my firefox but I can't find the swf file.

Triumph

Banned
Hi there folks, my name is Duke and I am here to offer my testemonial on this... thing.

At first, I assumed like any right minded gaming enthusiast that this thing was the dvd/media center remote for the Rev. So I was like "meh".

A second or two passed and then I realized that no, this was the ACTUAL CONTROLLER. I started laughing uncontrollably, and eventually was doubled over so badly that I collapsed onto the floor and broke my glasses. I stopped laughing, but only after losing control of my bladder. That put me in a foul mood.

After cleaning up and fixing my glasses, I spent some time reading impressions and watching that video of the controller "in action". Or should I say watched people pretending to use the thing, making gestures which may or may not correspond to anything in terms of gameplay... because there was no gameplay in the video. Hence saying you saw the "controller" being used "in action" is a bit of a stretch, huh? Some of the testemonials sound nice I suppose, but I still see this thing as a boondoggle of Virtual Boy proportions.

My closing thought: I wish that someone would unban Olimario so that I could laugh at him, then promptly ban him again.

Thanks for your time and consideration, folks!

Timen

Drinky Crow said:
How is this any different than an analog stick, except now your arm gets tired? As for RTS games, it'll be HELL to bandbox without anything to rest your hand on. And pointing to select various GUI elements? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

This isn't a mouse substitute; it's not even an approximation. RTS, especially, are designed for MICE.

thanks for not screaming rape and murder on this

gaf just became a better place

Tellaerin

Smiles and Cries said:
the negative reactions are priceless :lol

this thing will own like the DS before it... beware my friends, beware
Nintendo is MAD, MAD I tell you!

Yeah, really priceless. If this ever does by some unholy stroke of luck end up catching on, it'd pretty much mean me giving up console gaming as a hobby. I have no interest in playing games that involve me pantomiming a swordfight or punching at the screen like some of the cheap motion-sensing games I see for sale at mall kiosks. That's just not gaming to me. I guess Nintendo making moves to alienate long-time players in order to accomodate the newbies and ADD-afflicted novelty seekers who want change purely for the sake of change is something worth gloating and tapdancing about, huh?

Wollan

I haven't read through this thread yet but after reading 1up Im VERY happy with Nintendo taking this very interesting route. A little pussled that they choose a d-pad instead of joystick on main remote but still, I CAN'T WAIT. The Metroid impression got my knickers all wet.

ChrisReid

This is so great.

In all seriousness, it's not any weirder than a dual-screen touch sensitive handheld, and once cool games come out, it'll be fairly neat.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
MetatronM said:
How is the video impressive?

I mean, I'm on the positive side on this Rev controller thing now, but seriously, how was that impressive?

It was a video of people wildly waving the thing around with sound effects. Wonderful. Maybe if they actually showed the interaction with a GAME to illustrate, then maybe it would fall into the "impressive" category. But there's nothing in that video to be impressed about other than the fact that they found that many people to make asses out of themselves.

Well for me personally, it was the ideas they brought up that I liked. Not only that the ideas existed, but that Nintendo themselves were thinking of them.

You know...funnily enough, I actually think the DS is more revolutionary than the Revolution, despite the name. I'm not sure if these controls are going to lead to anything truly new, like Kirby DS or Yoshi...but it seem veyr much like an evolution in controls to me. Will there be new genres? I hope so, but everything I'm imagaining now is just making current genres better.

Dracos

Just thought I'd bring up a little observation I had. With the controller being that active and in motion, how would one connect a mic for online play talking? I guess it could be wireless to the console, because you couldn't fit it into the controller port with the analog attachment there. Or maybe something else? Hmmm....

Papi said:
That's what i was thinking.

And it's not like an analogue, since you need at least two and a half analogue sticks to mimic the single Revolution controller. Movement with the Revolution controller would probably be generally faster as well.

Good point

Pachinko

I think I've found the problem most people have with this thing, I mean yes at first glance its strange looking and it's features without hands on time sound useless but look at it this way, any game made with these features in mind could only be done on Nintendo's next console. Think even harder and you'll note that Nintendo has basically made your telivision into a touch screen with the entire controller has a stylus... a stylus that vibrates!

I'd go so far as to say that I'd change only 2 things with this prototype and 1 of them is iffy- I'd want the 'remote controller' to be more ergonomic in its design. This request is iffy becuase I'm not holding one in my hand, and really it relates directly to my second point- make the analog adaptor wirelessly connected with the main controller. I can't see this being that hard, both parts would send a signal on the same frequency and the system would just read it has 1 controller, becuase the buttons on the analog stuck adaptor are all different anyway, just make sure the system has firmware hooks to allow such a thing to happen.

I'm excited at what companies are gonna make on this system becuase it's forcing them to innovate atleast somewhat , but on that same note I'm hoping companies don't haphazardly implement the controllers differences in their titles.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
border said:
Have you paid any attention to the applications people are talking about? Having to swing the remote like it's a sword for Zelda? How many sword slashes are there in an average Zelda session? Hundreds if not thousands. The novelty will wear off sooner or later, and after that you're dulling tromping down the road to repetitive stress injury.

I think people are over exaggerating on how much actual physical force its going to take to use this controller. Lets say that that the new Zelda does implement a freehand slash move; don't you think that Nintendo will take what you just said into account and make the movement of slashing your sword a little more subtle? Maybe a flick of a wrist even? Granted, there's no telling what any given developer is willing to do with the controller at this point but, I highly doubt that Nintendo would make a Zelda game where all you will be doing the entire game is slashing wildy through the air for hours on end.

PkunkFury

Ben Sones said:
Re: fighting games: Yeah, it's not great for existing games using a traditional control scheme. I suspect that you'd want to plug in a Wavebird for playing old fighting games or new ports from other systems. But WRT fighting games made for the Revolution, I think it's odd that peoples' first reaction is to try to think of ways they can turn this new controller back into a regular gamepad. Given how different it is, I think I'd rather see a fighting game that dumps the conventional buttons-and-stick control scheme and does something totally different. I'm sure there's all sorts of interesting moves you could come up with for a precise, motion-sensing controller. Screw button combos. Let's try something different.

Good call, obviously a sword fighting game comes to mind. or if you hold a remote in each hand, you'd have a kickass Punch-Out!! :D

Diffense

Yeah, I could easily envision an attachment that has no analog stick just 4 face buttons for the thumb along with the triggers.

As it is, I think the 4 dpad directions, the A button, the B trigger and the 2 (?) triggers on analog attachment are the full complement of buttons that would be accessible to an FPS game.

What I don't think I have a full handle on is the kinds of motion that the wand detects. I think it can detect rolling motions, pulling/pushing motions in addition to motions up, down, left and right.

I can imagine rolling motions being used to peek around a corner for example. Pushing towards or pulling away could be gestures that initiate crouching or standing. Up, down, left and right would obviously allow you to look around and the analog attachment would control movement.

The point of my bit of speculation is that there will be different ways to do things so I'm not concerned about the number of buttons yet. The buttons just complement the central wand functionality. They allow the same motion to mean something different depending on the button state. Like with a mouse, you simply move the cursor if the left button is not pressed, you drag stuff if it's pressed, you summon a context menu if the right button is down, etc.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Drinky Crow said:
How is this any different than an analog stick, except now your arm gets tired?

I can aim, pull the trigger and press the top buttons without having to readjust any body parts.
Even though I don't care for FPS's, lets take Halo's melee attacks as an example. Before, I had to remove my right thumb to hit B to do the melee strike, and then I'd get awkward readjusting. Not a whole lot, but slightly. Now I can hit the A button for that melee strike and simply aim and start shooting somewhere else with no finger adjusting. I like it.
Also, still thinking in that FPS sense. I'm shooting and the remote is vibrating, my aim is being fucked up based on my ability of holding the aim steady. That's pretty fucking cool.

PkunkFury

Jesus Carbomb said:
I think people are over exaggerating on how much actual physical force its going to take to use this controller. Lets say that that the new Zelda does implement a freehand slash move; don't you think that Nintendo will take what you just said into account and make the movement of slashing your sword a little more subtle? Maybe a flick of a wrist even? Granted, there's no telling what any given developer is willing to do with the controller at this point but, I highly doubt that Nintendo would make a Zelda game where all you will be doing the entire game is slashing wildy through the air for hours on end.

Exactly, I'd imagine slashing the sword would only measure rotation and not position, so it could be done with actual slashes or simple flicks and produce a similar effect

GDGF

Soothsayer
That conductor concept with the old people has me interested. Imagine a game where someone was doing that, but imagine it being online with each player in charge of their own instrument. A drummer, a harp player, a horn...

Der Kommisar said:
You stupid bitch, this isn't fucking Zeo.

You stupid bitch, who doesnt fucking use two hands to play console games, what the fuck are you talking about.

You stupid bitch, I am making my judgements after reading information about how the controller works, not basing my judgments on how the fucking thing looks like some of the fucking idiots in this fucking retarded thread.

Hahaha, calm the fuck down. Your rampant bitching at people puts you in the same vein as Zeo.

The whole pop thing was a lighthearted crack, goober.

You stupid fanboy, your judgements still mean shit after reading what other people say. They are not your personal experiences. You're still making a prejudgement, just like everyone else here. Just because you read stuff that other people said (and like someone said, who's going to blurt out OMFG IT SUX ASS and lose Nintendo?).

Paired with how it looks, that's all people have to go by at this time. Chill the fuck out. :lol

The amount of pure angry emotion you are spewing shows how OVERREACTING you are out of anybody in this entire thread.

Haven't been bitched at like that for a long time, that rules. You just made my day.

MrDaravon

I don't know if this was posted, but I just had a thought; they could make a motherfucking DS Player with this now. Maybe sell a specific controller with it with a pointer or something to make on screen touching easier, move the controller a bit forward or hit a button just like using a stylus. Holy fuck.

Mason

That video was very, very cool. To get off track for a moment, I think Nintendo is finally heading in the right direction with its advertising and design. The console and remote/controller look very sleek.

As the video suggested, one of the first things I thought is how much of an accessible and group activity this could be. It looks like using a Revolution controller would be not so much a "hundled" in front of a tv killing things in dark corridor type thing, but an interactive and "fun" experience that people would want to join in on when they see you using it.

I'm just afraid that Nintendo, as they have said in the past, wants to move toward simple "minigame" type games. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pay $50 for a "symphony conducting" game. If they can find interesting ways to incorporate this into the existing framework of a videogame, and maybe create some fun, quick little budget titles you can pick up and play for a few minutes, I will be all over this.

etiolate

Banned
*cough* The damage control counter damage control posters might want to think up a new angle other than "it's just the same but it will make your arms tired" as it just makes you sound fat and lazy.

I'd go with the lack of buttons myself.

teiresias

This thing isn't exactly friendly to handicapped people though. I mean, you hear about people playing videogames with their feet all the time - but they didn't have to pick the thing up and wave it around before either.

CVXFREAK said:
Why do I have a feeling Japan is going to be all over this.

I totally agree and had the exact same thought. They'll love it but Europe and US will have a very difficult time accepting this huge change.

"We wanted a controller that somebody's mother will look at and not be afraid of."

WTF?!

Mihail

Banned
If the "freehand" controller can allow for "freestyle" movement in fighting games, I would become 1000 times more interested in the genre.

heidern

In the same way the analogue sick eliminated the need for a run button, this thing will eliminate the need for all sorts of buttons in games while at the same time improving functionality. So it's not just crouch, but you can crouch at different amounts and speed, or lean gradually around a corner but if you spot danger quickly go back into hiding. Awesome, just awesome.

Drensch

That conductor concept with the old people has me interested. Imagine a game where someone was doing that, but imagine it being online with each player in charge of their own instrument. A drummer, a harp player, a horn...

We've seen how a drummer can play, a Violin is obvious, as are many other instruments.
A band bros online orchestra could be nuts.

etiolate said:
*cough* The damage control counter damage control posters might want to think up a new angle other than "it's just the same but it will make your arms tired" as it just makes you sound fat and lazy.

I'd go with the lack of buttons myself.

Read Mama Smurf's posts in this thread please.

mutsu

Imagnie in Time Crisis you don't even need to press a button to hide. Just move the controller away from the screen and you are hiding. Great idea.

The lack of buttons kinda sucks for SNES games..and the lack of buttons on the basic controller overall really seems like a step back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom