• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Story Trailer

Lynd7

Fuck the remake / remaster nonsense. Non of these terms will be placed on the box. It's called Windwaker HD and it's called Twilight Princess HD. People expect good upgrades based on earlier results from Nintendo.

So far not a big problem. But I do hate the fact that this remaster is full price. Which seems a bit steep.

Shit is waaaaay too expensive for what it's doing.

Completely redoing a lot of the textures, small gameplay tweaks and an HD res not good enough?

Seems mostly on par with WW.

Ridley327

Not to be dense at all, but...the YT version I saw only went up to 480p...is the game rendered or upscaled to 1080p, and if so, will it not look much better on a TV than in this trailer?

Was it from the official Nintendo channel? That's definitely in HD.

DekuLink

Not to be dense at all, but...the YT version I saw only went up to 480p...is the game rendered or upscaled to 1080p, and if so, will it not look much better on a TV than in this trailer?

su0ijXm.jpg

1080p is there for me.

Completely redoing a lot of the textures, small gameplay tweaks and an HD res not good enough?

Seems mostly on par with WW.
Ww had a new dynamic lightning engine, 1080p upgrade, new graphics / sounds and gameplay changes. And even then I thought it was a bit overpriced.

TP HD is a laughable excuse for the current price. Direct competition puts three games in HD upgrades with trophies and extra's for the same or lower price.

DekuLink

It's been talked to death already, but I find the more realistic lightning they used in WWHD mor fitting to TP, as WW was made to look flat and like a cartoon while TP was made to look more realistic. Apart from the PVC-look indoors in WW it does look good though, but it kind of breaks the intended cartoony 2D look. In TP it wouldn't have broken any such effect and it just looks a bit flat compared to WW with all it's new light and shadows.

Oh my god, Ilia. What have they done to you? I genuinely can't believe they're shipping the game with her looking like that. She's so... unsettling. Maybe it's just the trailer for some reason? Man...

This really drives home the point that Twilight Princess has aged horribly compared to its contemporaries. The Wind Waker and The Wind Waker HD are absolutely ageless in every sense (especially graphically) and never seem to become dated with their incredible world, and Skyward Sword still looks pretty nice and innovates with the excellent MotionPlus swordplay even if its world design is kind of meh. Twilight Princess just continues to kind of be... there, ever the unremarkable middle child. Wolf Link might have been more interesting if Okami hadn't come out right before Twilight Princess and done the whole playing-as-a-wolf-thing infinitely better. At least it has some of the series' better dungeons, I guess... sort of. Snowpeak and City in the Sky were pretty great.

I really hope Twilight Princess HD turns my opinion around on this game; I'm looking forward to revisiting it for precisely that reason, to see if it's as good-enough-but-ultimately-forgettable as I remember it being.

I think the truth that is getting glossed over is that the other Zelda remaster was done internally at Nintendo (the also wonderful 3DS games by the talented Grezzo). Clearly in all three of those games Nintendo worked very closely with the remaster/remake to do more than change the lighting.

This game is being developed by Tantalus, and everything from the way the game was announced has felt off to me regarding how it's being treated by Nintendo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantalus_Media

RK128

I think the truth that is getting glossed over is that the other Zelda remaster was done internally at Nintendo (the also wonderful 3DS games by the talented Grezzo). Clearly in all three of those games Nintendo worked very closely with the remaster/remake to do more than change the lighting.

This game is being developed by Tantalus, and everything from the way the game was announced has felt off to me regarding how it's being treated by Nintendo.

Its painfully clear that Twilight Princess HD is a 'We need something out FAST!" release for the Wii U; a remaster/port of a game many liked/loved but old enough to re-package with some gameplay fixes and slight visual tweaks.

So, it looking not nearly as great as Wind Waker HD or appearing to be a 'lazy' HD port of the GC original.....shouldn't be surprising anyone :l.

I think it looks decent and if people want to play this, I hope they enjoy it :D! It and Majoras Mask were the two 3D Zelda's I really, really got into. Loved their look, music, dungeon design and gameplay. They were great games for me and while I enjoyed Wind Waker and thought OoT was good, MM and TP were my favorite 3D Zeldas.

If I owned a Wii U, would consider getting this and replaying this :).

lol, didn't everyone hate the new lighting in WW HD?

This game is twice as good as WW, so I guess they thought they didn't need to spice it up to sell it.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

A lot of this is inaccurate. The project isn't completely outsourced, even for a remaster. Nintendo is very much involved in the development.

I'm quite impressed at the texture work. They've also improved the geometry a little bit, but honestly unless everything gets redone, you can't turn TP into a beautiful game. Sure it has atmosphere, but it looks fairly bland overall.

I mean it looks good... besides that face.

Copper

Holy bloom. I can understand why they used it before but up scaled to HD on a modern console it just look extremely ugly.

You know you messed up when a fan made project looks superior..

Sterok

Tantalus was teasing this since early 2015 (before Zelda U was confirmed to be delayed), so it's very unlikely this was rushed. If it was this probably would've been a holiday game. There's definitely been a fair amount of work put into this. Whether it's impressive work is hard to tell, but this doesn't have a 6 month development time.

I do suspect that they're hiding something bigger than what we know, but that's pure speculation on my part with nothing to back it up. So for now I'm going in for TP with most of the annoying issues taken out or deemphasized.

Revven

You know you messed up when a fan made project looks superior..

A fan project that has infinite time and no money in it, of course it might look better. But if it's the one I'm thinking you're talking about, then no, it doesn't look objectively superior to this for several reasons that have been mentioned time and time again every time it's been brought up and compared to TPHD.

In any case, we still don't know everything about this release so people claiming it's lazy or a rush job should wait until we actually do know everything which likely won't be for another several weeks.

DangerMan

Banned
working on some more, here's one

XQsfWWU.gif

(full speed)

two
2TRFKvL.gif

(full speed)

I really wish they just took the game rendered it at a higher resolution with higher texture resolutions and polygon counts, and improved the games pacing. Actually, I really wish they had ported to game to the New 3DS (and old 3DS if it could run it). Or that they had just left Twilight Princess as a GameCube game.

Zeenbor

The original looked better and not so washed out. Plus the limited resolution hid some of the shortcomings of the art.

Ilia was one of the very few characters who didn't look horrific in the original game; they're just bringing her in line with the rest of her demon countrymen from Ordon Village.

Mory Dunz

Ilia was one of the very few characters who didn't look horrific in the original game; they're just bringing her in line with the rest of her demon countrymen from Ordon Village.

I always thought she looked bad/off, so maybe that's why I don't care about that. That and she was forgettable to begin with ha

braves01

Banned
Honestly I don't even really care how it looks. It's one of the better Zelda games and this is s good excuse to replay it. It's all about the dungeons...

Copper

A fan project that has infinite time and no money in it, of course it might look better. But if it's the one I'm thinking you're talking about, then no, it doesn't look objectively superior to this for several reasons that have been mentioned time and time again every time it's been brought up and compared to TPHD.

In any case, we still don't know everything about this release so people claiming it's lazy or a rush job should wait until we actually do know everything which likely won't be for another several weeks.

Game releases in a little over a month. Based on everything we've seen from the trailers I think it's safe to assume the final product isn't going to look all that different.

Since when does not having any money or a trained team of developers count as an advantage?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Meh, canceled my pre-order. I just don't see myself playing this anytime soon and have other games I'd rather put the money and time towards.

Revven

Game releases in a little over a month. Based on everything we've seen from the trailers I think it's safe to assume the final product isn't going to look all that different.

I wasn't talking about looks. I was talking about the gameplay tweaks, which we don't know what all they are because they haven't talked about them whatsoever. I know the game is done, I'm not dumb...

Copper said:
Since when does not having any money or a trained team of developers count as an advantage?

I wasn't saying money or a team of trained devs are an adv. I was saying that having all the time in the world and not having to worry about paying anyone for the work they do is an advantage and why/how a fan project can be better than an official product...

It's a completely unfair comparison lol. This game has to be done at a certain point while a fan project can be ongoing forever (or rather, for as long as the people who are working on it are interested in continuing to do it and/or don't run out of free time to dedicate to it) and continue to be improved upon for months and months or even years and years. Not to mention active feedback from the community while they are working on it.

Copper

I wasn't talking about looks. I was talking about the gameplay tweaks, which we don't know what all they are because they haven't talked about them whatsoever. I know the game is done, I'm not dumb...

I wasn't saying money or a team of trained devs are an adv. I was saying that having all the time in the world and not having to worry about paying anyone for the work they do is an advantage and why a fan project can be better than an official product...

It's a completely unfair comparison lol. This game has to be done at a certain point while a fan project can be ongoing forever (or rather, for as long as the people who are working on it are interested in continuing to do it and/or don't run out of free time to dedicate to it) and continue to be improved upon for months and months or even years and years.

I see where you are coming from now. You are right we haven't really seen a whole lot of what types of game play tweaks will be in it. Ultimately, I think that's what people will be the most interested in. I'm hoping they don't disappoint. When it comes down to it, it was originally a GC game so you can't expect too much. If people are looking for a graphically nice game there are plenty alternatives.

This looks so half-baked after just playing through Wind Waker HD. Disappointing.

But I never played Twilight Princess so my pre-order still stands.

takriel

TP really had/has the most "boring" art style of the 3D Zelda games. It's made even more clear to me after seeing it in HD. Fuck that brownish nonsense. I want color in my Zelda games. I'm so glad Zelda U is more like Skyward Sword.

Still excited to play it though!

Yikes, everyone flipping out over a bad shot of Ilia even though she looks completely fine in the other one. The new textures are fantastic. While not 1:1 redraws in every case, they're very tastefully suited to the original artwork.

Some screenshots from the Japanese Twitter page.
dipOxii.jpg

A2mwG0i.jpg

h1ix4a3.jpg

0W4x5jo.jpg

fdCLM41.jpg

And here's what some of the fanmade projects have conjured up. All from Faron Woods for a somewhat even comparison of their different approaches. Links to each project included. I easily prefer Nintendo's effort to any of these.

Top Bottom