• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA Checkin' Off His List

Status
Not open for further replies.
WickedAngel said:
Yes, I was.
So you were predicting that Coakley was going to lose in Massachusetts thereby jeopardizing the whole thing? Gotcha!

...and in all likelihood, we've lost most of the rest of it as well. Feel free to take your blinders off any time now.
So now I have blinders on? Okay. Whatever makes you feel better about what you're saying I guess.

Edit - Hoping that everything will turn out as best as it can is different from having "blinders" on.

Diablos

WickedAngel said:
Yes, I was.

...and in all likelihood, we've lost most of the rest of it as well. Feel free to take your blinders off any time now.
They find it easier to point and laugh. I guess that's how some people cope with the clusterfuck of a process HCR is.

besada

Banned
Dax01 said:
So now I have blinders on? Okay. Whatever makes you feel better about what you're saying I guess.

Um, he's right and you're willfully distorting what happened. You were assuring people that Coakley was fine as late as the day of her loss, when many others had already concluded that she was going to lose.

Before that you were part of the peanut gallery that barfed out "chicken little" anytime someone pointed out that the public option was in serious danger of failing. Of course, since the moment it failed you began acting as if the optimal bill was one without the public option, it didn't slow your roll.

Search is down at the moment, but if you'd like an enormous list of your jackassery over the last several months, I'd be glad to oblige you when it comes back.

Diablos said:
They find it easier to point and laugh. I guess that's how some people cope with the clusterfuck of a process HCR is.

The fact that he got this

Dax01 said:
So you were predicting that Coakley was going to lose in Massachusetts thereby jeopardizing the whole thing? Gotcha!

from this

WickedAngel said:
The Democrats sacrificed a huge bullet point and we all knew that nothing was sacred if they were willing to drop that. After the PO was dropped, every other compromise was dropped as well.

tells me he is nothing more than a troll.

Pimpwerx

avaya said:
Financial Reform proposals are basically absolute rubbish, they do not address the main issues. The banks were the secondary cause of the crisis. Not the primary. They need to cover three main issues.

1. Credit Ratings. Broken business model. This is a service that impacts the price of virtually all instruments either directly or indirectly. A for-profit credit rating system fails because it encourages awarding better ratings over actually giving proper ratings.

S&P, Fitch and Moody's are the REAL cause of this mess. They certified the securitisations as safe. The whole show would have stopped if they upheld their standards.

Only way to solve this is to abolish the current system and offer an international credit rating agency, independent of governments and funded by a fee....

2. Accounting Standards Reform. There needs to be a concerted effort to ban/re-engineer Mark-to-Model, the bastard child of mark-to-market for insolvent garbage. The bank decides what it thinks the asset is worth. Which is a shambles of a situation. Lehman Brothers failed because it was too optimistic doing this. Same for Merrill.

What they need to do is allow a consensus opinion to develop on mark-to-model, so you take the lowest or median value of that asset from a set of valuations conducted by other market participants independent of your firm. The whole point of mark-to-market is to provide transparency and encourage confidence. What is more transparent than letting others in the market decide how much they would pay for your asset? No more batshit valuations.

Along with this there needs to be a wholesale overhaul of off-balance sheet. That overhaul should actually see that practice banned. All it does is allow the creation of opaque structures. Even to this day no one can claim that they know what AIG has actually done in the derivatives market. The managers of these firms even admit they do not know shit about the deals they were making.

IFRS is adopted by the US this decade. This makes changing the code on an international basis far simpler since there will be broad agreement as long as no one is placed at a competitive disadvantage. Laissez-faire practices lead ALWAYS lead to mutually assured destruction because competition drives it to that point.

3.Glass-Steagall 2.0 with VaR
Commercial and investment banking do not belong together and if left unfettered will make the current too big to fail look like childs play in a decade or two. You have to explicitly state that you ban hedge funds and Private Equity businesses for retail banks. If you don't they will find the loopholes.

What the new version of this act should also do is tax by Value at Risk. VaR minimisation tricks and mathematical philandering will still occur but a prohibitive tax on certain VaR magnitudes will guaran-fucking-tee that too big to fail will not cross a threshold. Any firm that collapses can be swallowed up wholesale by the system. This works because it will affect hedge funds too. Doesn't matter if you're public or private.

....that fee. Tobin Tax.

You tax every financial transaction, short of retail customers removing their money from accounts a 1cent fee. This has no real material impact on business. It's totally transparent. However it will raise a lot of cash. That cash pays for the credit ratings agency, and can be placed in a fund that can be used for dealing with another bailout situation. I believe the figures being thrown about said the US could see around several billion dollars a year raised by this fee. On an international basis it is absolutely massive. This is the best financial industry tax ever conceived. There is no logic arguing against this tax. No material impact on business and will accumulate extremely large sums of money overtime that will be readily available when inevitably the shit hits the fan.
Not sure if anyone saw this, but these are excellent points and suggestions, especially point 1. If securities aren't labeled as safe, they're gonna be a lot less dangerous to the market. And it's almost like video games scores in that when you have a profit-based review board, you invariably end up with score-inflation. That's one thing for games, it's another for finances.

I agree with everything except the tax. The tax is a fine idea (exempt stuff like transfers from savings to checking, as I do that a lot to balance out my checking balance). I'd just put the proceeds to something else like *cough* public option *cough*. :D PEACE.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
GhaleonEB said:

How the Democrats may solve their health-care problem

There is no question that Democrats have looked weak in responding to the Massachusetts election. The notion that they would just shelve health care after all they have put into it -- the message they have gotten across, even if that’s not exactly what they have all been saying -- paints a portrait of a party that, to say the least, lacks persistence and conviction.

But there is a good reason behind all the confusion. The core problem is that the House Democrats no longer trust the Senate Democrats. And let’s be honest: There is no reason in the world for House Democrats to trust the Senate Democrats at this point, or even to feel very kindly disposed toward them.

That’s why there is resistance in the House to the most straightforward solution, which is for the House to pass the Senate health-care bill and send it to the president, and then to use the reconciliation process (which requires only 51 votes in the Senate) to pass the changes in the bill that House and Senate negotiators have agreed to -- or, at least, as many of those changes as is procedurally possible. They can’t get all the changes into law that way, but they could get a lot of them.

The catch is that the House Democrats don’t believe the Senate Democrats will necessarily keep their word and pass the reconciliation bill containing the amendments. And it’s not only the question of trust: anyone who has watched the Senate for the last year can be forgiven for wondering if it is even functional enough (given Republican obstruction and a lack of cohesion in the Democratic caucus) to keep a promise sincerely made.

So here’s an idea, I have been told reliably, that leaders of both Houses are considering: The House would pass a version of the reconciliation bill containing the various amendments and send it to the Senate. The Senate would change it slightly (in ways that the House agreed to), which would require the House to vote on it again. Only after it got the revised reconciliation bill would the House take up the Senate bill. The House could then pass both bills and send both to the president. Problem solved, health-care passes, and we move on.

Not all the difficulties with this scenario have been worked through, and it is not a slam dunk. For one thing, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi faces a revolt on her left against passing the Senate bill without changes. Some may still have to be persuaded to make sure it gets the votes it needs. There are also some House Democrats from moderate-to-conservative districts who are wary, after Massachusetts, of voting for a health-care bill, period. And there are a lot of procedural issues that need to be ironed out.

Nonetheless, for those (and I’m one of them) who believe in health-care reform -- and who think the Democrats would be committing suicide if they gave up on health care now -- it’s heartening to hear that serious people are making serious efforts to get a health bill through. In a pinch, I think that enacting the Senate bill into law without changes is far preferable to passing nothing. But I also understand that there are aspects of the Senate bill to which House members have legitimate objections. Solving this problem will require Democrats to pull themselves together across many lines of division -- notably between the House and the Senate, and between moderates and liberals. Can they do it? The answer to that question depends in part on leadership from President Obama. Can he do it?

Sounds like at least the leadership are working together toward something.

That makes sense, and it looks to be the most likely outcome.

besada said:
Um, he's right and you're willfully distorting what happened. You were assuring people that Coakley was fine as late as the day of her loss, when many others had already concluded that she was going to lose.
I was not assuring anyone that Coakley was "fine" or in a good position to win, just that Coakley might be a latest in a long line of 'worries' Diablos was posting about. I never said she was fine, I never said she would win. There's a difference.
The only thing I remember before Coakley that can even be considered "jackassery" is my comment saying that, if Coakley lost, Diablos is going on my ignore list.
Before that you were part of the peanut gallery that barfed out "chicken little" anytime someone pointed out that the public option was in serious danger of failing. Of course, since the moment it failed you began acting as if the optimal bill was one without the public option, it didn't slow your roll.
Um, no I wasn't. I don't believe I have EVER made a comment saying that a bill is better without a PO. Whenever I talked about the PO, I always said I refused to believe it was dead until it was, well, dead. And I do believe I made a post awhile back saying that HCR was much more than the public option.
Search is down at the moment, but if you'd like an enormous list of your jackassery over the last several months, I'd be glad to oblige you when it comes back.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

WickedAngel said:
tells me he is nothing more than a troll.
So I've been a troll about... something... since the beginning? The reason why I responded with Coakley is that now, because of Coakley, you have no way of knowing what would've appeared in the final bill had she not lost the election. So, in a sense, you can't know what you predicted rang true and the Democrats dropped more important stuff. For all you know, what we might get as a result of Coakley losing might be better than what we were going to get.

Edit - And it wasn't about anything else being sacred. If the others who were saying the PO was dead as early as August were correct (and they very well could be), then nothing was "sacred" for awhile.

Diablos

Dax: Perhaps you aren't a troll, but for as much as you claim for me to be a whiner, you are far too quick to cherry pick criticism of anything this White House/Congress is doing, and shit all over it with, as WickedAngel said, your blinders on.

We have a right to be angry. I didn't waste my time obsessing over Obama's campaign and poll numbers because I was eager to see a mediocre President succeed George W. Bush. I didn't waste my time volunteering for a President who won't at least make an honest effort to even attempt and get his party in line when it falls flat during critical moments (ahem).

Let's say we live in a different world right now, and President McCain has majorities in both the House and Senate. If the Republicans had a 60 seat supermajority, and it unexpectedly dropped to 59, I guarantee you they would still be able to figure out a way to pass controversial legislation, even if all 41 Democratic Senators stood in the way. Roland Reagan was able to get his tax act passed with a simple majority. Bill Clinton had to pass his economic recovery legislation with reconciliation, too.

With 59 seats, you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want. If you can't, you should still have enough seats to use reconciliation when you really need it (like now). They still have SUCH A HUGE MAJORITY, and yet one Senate seat going from blue to red is enough to make the entire party act like they just lost the House. It's unbelievable.

mAcOdIn

empty vessel said:
Except it's not really a problem. The tax increase would be offset by wage increases. Wage increases would even be relatively higher, because of the additional savings that single payer would provide over what employers currently have to pay to private insurance industry.

The problem is perception, politics, and public relations (the manufacture of consent, or dissent in this case), not reality.
Exactly, it's all perception, what is the difference between an employer paying a lesser wage and a large chunk of an insurance premium, paying a lesser wage and a tax for a single payer system or paying an employee a higher wage and having the government take the cost of health care from them? Nothing, it makes no fucking difference.

The only real increase in the whole concept is for businesses that pay peanuts and don't provide any option for coverage, they'd admittedly be hit by an increase depending on where the line is drawn for a small business exemption, so small business and the self employed may take a hit depending on their respective individual circumstances.

The only reason I really see big business being against the concept is because it takes away one thing very crucial to them, the ability to stop providing coverage all together. You can escape the costs of health care by not providing it, but if all of a sudden you have to provide a wage high enough to provide for the employee to purchase it or the company is getting taxed for that employee regardless, they can't escape it, if they hit a patch and want to cut benefits they can't, they have to look elsewhere for cuts now, they can't escape the tax.

Frankly, I don't give a shit, I've always been of the belief that if your business can not afford to hire 5 more workers and pay them a livable wage then you know what, your business is not ready to expand. That's how I see it. This countries economy is so fucking unstable because none of our wealth was real, if every business was a fairly sound business that expanded because it was able to provide decent jobs to all the new workers it'd hire and those people in turn made more money since they were paid livable wages and consumed more we'd be in a hell of a lot better shape than we are now. I have nothing against rich people but look at Buffet and Gates, they are so rich they're sitting on piles and piles of cash just looking for shit to donate it to, there's nothing left for them to consume. Then you have the lower class that's barely able to stay afloat they may buy a movie or two every once in a while but the only things they can really be counted on to buy is shit like food, beer, smokes, and the essentials, they can't buy new clothes when they need them or cars. And then there's the middle class, people not rich but people with a sound footing that can buy shit, oh yeah, we're working to push all those fuckers down to lower class. It's an idiotic model for an economy and I can't fathom why businesses would even partake in such a farce because after a while they can not go anywhere anymore, what do you do when everyone is too poor to buy your shit? We should instead be trying to empower the lower class to move up to middle class so they can start purchasing shit, not try and drive the cost of everything down along with wages so everyone's competing for a person's lone 20 dollars in expendable cash each month(which probably wasn't really expendable but sometimes people want a coke).

ToxicAdam

U.S. Rep. Barney Frank wants to permanently shut down mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

During a hearing on executive compensation yesterday in Washington, the Newton Democrat said it may be time to just kill off the two firms now controlled by the federal government.

“The committee will be recommending abolishing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in their current form and coming up with a whole new system of housing finance, and that’s the approach, rather than a piecemeal one,” said Frank, who chairs the powerful House Financial Services Committee now weighing a number of bills to overhaul the nation’s financial system.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1227580&srvc=rss

The Newsweek cover got it wrong, "We're all populists now"

Ripclawe

Banned
Frank is full of it, how are you going to shut them down when they are too big to fail at this point and still growing from taking in loans? What is the purpose of the replacement if Frank will continue to advocate the same position that got Fannie and Freddie in trouble in the first place?

ToxicAdam

For the first time in American history, a majority of union members are government workers rather than private-sector employees, the Bureau of Labor Statistics announced on Friday.

In its annual report on union membership, the bureau undercut the longstanding notion that union members are overwhelmingly blue-collar factory workers. It found that membership fell so fast in the private sector in 2009 that the 7.9 million unionized public-sector workers easily outnumbered those in the private sector, where labor’s ranks shrank to 7.4 million, from 8.2 million in 2008.

After rising the two previous years, overall union membership fell by 771,000 in 2009, to 15.3 million, largely because employment declined over all. But the rate of private-sector unionization fell because two sectors where unions are especially strong — manufacturing and construction — suffered especially large job losses. Construction lost more than 900,000 jobs last year, falling to 5.9 million, while 1.3 million factory jobs were lost, declining to 11.6 million.

The overall unionization rate edged lower, to 12.3 percent last year from 12.4 percent in 2008.

Damon A. Silvers, the A.F.L.-C.I.O.’s policy director, said the decline in private-sector unionization “tells us that good jobs are disappearing faster than bad jobs.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/23/business/23labor.html

Thank goodness we had a stimulus to protect the workers. :lol

Pimpwerx

Is it my imagination, or has the Supreme Court become largely a political entity rather than a judicial one? Is it my imagination, or are all these major rulings divided strictly along party lines? That's no coincidence. That's not how the court is supposed to operate. Why do I feel like Scalie and Thomas are severely lacking in impartiality? PEACE.

Even if Barney Frank wants to shutdown Fannie mae and Freddie mac, good luck making it happen. It has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

Pimpwerx, the supreme court's decision is absolutely horrendous. Correct me if I'm wrong but to me it also looks like it has largely become a partyline vote. Only way to reverse that decision is to appoint two more justices to the supreme court in addition to the 9 currently serving, which has zero chance of happening unless Obama is looking for instant political suicide. Last President who tried to change the number of supreme court justices was FDR, and that decision bogged him for the next two terms he ran for the office.

Photos: The Obama Presidency, January, 22nd 2010
A Greenpeace activist wearing a mask of U.S. President Barack Obama holds a "carbon dioxide champions" trophy during demonstrations in front of the U.S. embassy in Bangkok January 22, 2010. Environmental activists staged a "carbon dioxide champions" ceremony in front of the U.S. embassy in Bangkok to protest against the failure of the climate change talks in Copenhagen last year.
x610.jpg

610x.jpg

First Look: Lorain County, Ohio

A Look Behind the Scenes of Presidential Advance

President Barack Obama returns a salute prior to boarding Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base in Md. , Friday, Jan. 22, 2010, en route to Lorain County, Ohio,
610x.jpg

President Barack Obama speaks with patrons as he makes an unscheduled stop at Smitty's Place, a restaurant, as part of his "White House to Main Street Tour" in Elyria, Lorain County, Ohio,
610x.jpg

610x.jpg

President Barack Obama comments on an unidentified patron's New York Jets necktie as he makes an unscheduled stop at Smitty's Place
610x.jpg

U.S. President Barack Obama picks up a wall clock that was knocked down by a member of a TV crew as he was visting with diners at Smitty's restaurant in Elyria, Ohio January 22, 2010. Obama's visit to Lorain County is the second stop on his White House to Main Street Tour.
610x.jpg

610x.jpg

happy.gif

President Barack Obama holds 16-month-old Dyllan Schneider as her mother Crystal, right, looks on
610x.jpg

610x.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

President Barack Obama greets 98-year-old resident Charles Raynor
610x.jpg

President Obama on Health Reform: "I am not going to walk away just because it’s hard."

U.S. President Barack Obama speaks during a town hall style gathering at Lorain County Community College in Elyria, Ohio January 22, 2010. Today's visit to Lorain County is the second stop on the White House to Main Street Tour.
610x.jpg

x610.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

x610.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

A man walks past an electronic stock board of a securities firm in Tokyo Friday, Jan. 22, 2010. The Nikkei 225 Stock Average dived 277.86 points, or 2.6 percent, to 10,590.55 as Asian stock markets tumbled Friday after President Barack Obama proposed a sweeping overhaul of Wall Street banks to avert future financial crises.
610x.jpg

President Barack Obama wears safety glasses as he visits EMC Precision Machining, a manufacturer of metal components, as part of his "White House to Main Street Tour" in Elyria, Lorain County, Ohio,

x610.jpg

610x.jpg

President Barack Obama holds up a football helmet presented to him during a visit to the the Riddell manufacturing facility, which makes sports equipment,
610x.jpg

x610.jpg

Students react as they meet U.S. President Barack Obama as he tours the Wind Turbine Manufacturing and Fabrication Lab in Elyria, Ohio January 22, 2010. Today's visit to Lorain County is the second stop on the White House to Main Street Tour.
x610.jpg

x610.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

x610.jpg

Damn. Mr. President indeed!

I like looking at these pics, because it reminds me of the MAJOR bullet we dodged in 2008. It may be just me, but Obama comes across as incredibly genuine guy. You can pretty much read his emotions in the townhall pics.

RustyNails said:
I like looking at these pics, because it reminds me of the MAJOR bullet we dodged in 2008. It may be just me, but Obama comes across as incredibly genuine guy. You can pretty much read his emotions in the townhall pics.
Nonono, he's an awful failure of a president and every bit as bad as George W. Bush and just a step above Hitler.

I don't think he's terrible but he does need to take a stronger role in health care reform

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Aaron Strife said:
Nonono, he's an awful failure of a president and every bit as bad as George W. Bush and just a step above Hitler.

I don't think he's terrible but he does need to take a stronger role in health care reform
The majority of the american public is too stupid for him to do that. you sound like those guys in the gamer section who keep telling Sony to drop the price of the PS3 to whatever price they think is good for them and expecting that request to be done without thinking about the plausibility and environment.

Elizabeth Warren: Pass A Consumer Protection Agency Or Kill Regulatory Reform

Warren, one of the country's foremost consumer-right's advocates and the congressionally-appointed watchdog for the Troubled Asset Relief Program, said her chief concern is that financial regulatory reform legislation will suffer the same fate as health care reform -- starting out with noble principles but scaled down and negotiated away ultimately to ineffectualness. The Consumer Financial Protection Agency, she said, is not optional.

"The CFPA is the heart of what makes regulatory reform work," Warren said in an interview with the Huffington Post. "The consumer credit market is where the biggest abuses were. It is where families will be most directly affected and it is where the American people will see change. CFPA is how to make clear that regulatory reform is for them, and that it isn't a game among insiders.

"We just can't pass a regulatory reform bill that acquiesces to the industry on every front and where everything is so watered down that nobody has to take a hard vote," she said.

"It's not ok to weaken the agency so much that, while everyone can vote yes and pretend to support consumers' right to a fair deal, nothing really changes. I want a strong agency, and if there's not going to be a strong agency, then I at least want to see an up-or-down vote on it. Let's see a vote."

And if it fails?

"Shame on them," Warren declared.
I love this woman.

The remarks are a shot across the brow to Democratic lawmakers, particularly Senate Banking Committee Chairman Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), who recently floated the idea of dropping the CFPA as a way of winning bipartisan support for the bill. Dodd is a strong CFPA supporter himself, but the difficulty of corralling the 60 votes needed to beat back a Republican filibuster has compelled him to consider concessions. Dodd is said to be offering Republicans a consumer protection program that would be tucked inside another regulatory agency, rather than being independent.
I hate this man.

PistolGrip said:
The majority of the american public is too stupid for him to do that.
You're defending Obama for not speaking up and fighting for health care reform? Don't blame the public, it's his fault for not leading his party and sending out a clear message. He took the advice of Rahm and now he and his party are paying for it.

cntr

Banned
Judge slashes "monstrous" P2P award by 97% to $54,000

Judge Michael Davis is the senior federal jurist in Minnesota. He presides over the gleaming 15th floor courtroom where, earlier this year, P2P user Jammie Thomas-Rasset was slapped with $1.92 million in damages for sharing 24 songs. Davis made no comment on the amount of the award and showed no emotion as it was read out.

But now we know how he really feels about the jury's work in that case: it led to a "monstrous and shocking" damage award that veered into "the realm of gross injustice."

Davis used his power of remittitur today to slash the damage award by 97.2 percent, from $1.92 million down to $54,000—and he suggested that even this lower amount was too high.

Justice isn't only for the sympathetic

Thomas-Rasset, the first defendant to take an RIAA-backed P2P lawsuit all the way to trial, turned out not to be an especially sympathetic defendant.

In recounting the case today, Davis went over the changing history of Thomas-Rasset's testimony. "Thomas‐Rasset previously provided sworn interrogatory answers that there had never been any type of online media distribution on her computer in the three years before the Complaint was filed and that she did not contend that anyone else was responsible for the infringement," he wrote.

"Despite never implicating others during her depositions or testimony in the previous trial, in this second trial, she suddenly leveled new accusations against her children and ex‐boyfriend, asserting that they might have committed the infringement. Thomas‐Rasset’s refusal to accept responsibility for her actions and her decision to concoct a new theory of the infringement casting possible blame on her children and ex‐boyfriend for her actions demonstrate a refusal to accept responsibility and raise the need for strong deterrence."

Later, he refers to the moment when "Thomas‐Rasset lied on the witness stand by denying responsibility for her infringing acts and, instead, blamed others, including her children, for her actions."

Davis also notes that statutory damages, which range from $750 up to $150,000 per infringement in copyright cases, have both a deterrent and a compensatory purpose. It's no good to argue that a damage award is too high simply because it's higher than actual damages suffered; that's part of the point.

But there are limits, and $80,000 per song exceeded them.
"Although Plaintiffs were not required to prove their actual damages, statutory damages must still bear some relation to actual damages," Davis wrote.

In his capacity as a judge, Davis is allowed to alter damage awards in some cases
, though not verdicts. (Update: a reader notes that, in some circumstances, a judge can in fact issue a new judgment at odds with the verdict.) He chose to do so in this case by reducing the award to three times the minimum level of $750, setting it at $2,250 per song. This amount is still "significant and harsh" and is a "higher award than the Court might have chosen to impose in its sole discretion, but the decision was not entrusted to this Court."

Instead, Davis simply reduced the jury award to the maximum reasonable level before it veered into "monstrous and shocking" territory.

Let the punishment fit the crime

He noted the difference between what Thomas-Rasset did and the commercial infringement the statutory damage laws were written to stop. "In the case of individuals who infringe by using peer‐to‐peer networks, the potential gain from infringement is access to free music, not the possibility of hundreds of thousands—or even millions—of dollars in profits," he wrote. "The need for deterrence cannot justify a $2 million verdict for stealing and illegally distributing 24 songs for the sole purpose of obtaining free music."

Because of the Seventh Amendment's guarantee to a trial by jury, Davis' decision to change the damage award means the RIAA has to make a choice: it can accept the new $54,000 award or it can exercise its right to go back to a jury for a third full trial.

We asked the RIAA for comment, but the music trade group and its members will only say that they are weighing their options. Davis has given them one week to decide.

cntr

Banned
Obama's 'Volcker Rule' shifts power away from Geithner

For much of last year, Paul Volcker wandered the country arguing for tougher restraints on big banks while the Obama administration pursued a more moderate regulatory agenda driven by Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner.

Thursday morning at the White House, it seemed as if the two men had swapped places.
A beaming Volcker stood at Obama's right as the president endorsed his proposal and branded it the "Volcker Rule." Geithner stood farther away, compelled to accommodate a stance he once considered less effective than his own.

The moment was the product of Volcker's persistence and a desire by the White House to impose sharper checks on the financial industry than Geithner had been advocating
, according to some government sources and political analysts. It was Obama's most visible break yet from the reform philosophy that Geithner and his allies had been promoting earlier.

Senior administration officials say there is now broad consensus within the White House and the Treasury for the plan advanced by Volcker, who leads an outside economic advisory group for the president. At its heart, Volcker's plan restricts banks from making speculative investments that do not benefit their customers. He has argued that such speculative activity played a key role in the financial crisis. The administration also wants to limit the ability of the largest banks to use borrowed money to fund expansion plans.

The proposals, which require congressional approval, are the most explicit restrictions the administration has tried to impose on the banking industry. It will help to have Volcker, a legendary former Federal Reserve chairman who garners respect on both sides of the aisle, on Obama's side as the White House makes a final push for a financial reform bill on Capitol Hill, a senior official noted.

Advocates of Volcker's ideas were delighted. "This is a complete change of policy that was announced today. It's a fundamental shift," said Simon Johnson, a professor at MIT's Sloan School of Management.
"This is coming from the political side. There are classic signs of major policy changes under pressure . . . but in a new and much more sensible direction."

Industry officials, however, said they were startled and disheartened that Geithner was overruled, in part because they supported the more moderate approach Geithner proposed last year.

"His influence may have slipped," said a senior industry official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to preserve his relationship with the administration. "But you could also argue that it wasn't Geithner who lost power. It's just that the president needed Volcker politically" to look tough on big banks.

Geithner agreed with Volcker that banks' risk-taking needed to be constrained.

But through much of the past year, Geithner said the best approach to limiting it is to require banks to hold more capital in reserve to cover losses, reducing their potential profits. Geithner said blanket prohibitions on specific activities would be less effective, in part because such bans would eliminate some legitimate activity unnecessarily.

The shift toward Volcker's thinking began last fall, according to government officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deliberations were private.

Volcker had been arguing that banks, which are sheltered by the government because lending is important to the economy, should be prevented from taking advantage of that safety net to make speculative investments.

To make his case, he met with lawmakers on Capitol Hill and gave numerous speeches on the subject, traveling to at least nine cities on several continents to warn that banks had developed "unmanageable conflicts of interest" as they made investments for clients and themselves simultaneously.

"We ought to have some very large institutions whose primary purpose is a kind of fiduciary responsibility to service consumers, individuals, businesses and governments by providing outlets for their money and by providing credit," he said during one speech in Toronto. "They ought to be the core of the credit and financial system. Those institutions should not engage in highly risky entrepreneurial activity."

Gradually, Volcker picked up allies. John Reed, the former chairman of Citigroup, expressed his public support. So did Mervyn King, governor of the Bank of England.

His ideas began gaining traction within the administration in late October, when the president convened a meeting of his senior economic advisers in the Oval Office to hear a detailed presentation by the former Fed chairman.

There was no immediate change of course. But after the House passed a regulatory reform bill on Dec. 11 that was largely based on the Geithner's vision, the administration began to warm to Volcker's ideas, which had the political value of seeming tough on Wall Street, said sources in contact with the Treasury and White House.

At the time, administration officials were growing concerned that government guarantees designed to spur lending by letting banks borrow cheaply were instead funding banks' speculative investments and fueling soaring profits, said Austan Goolsbee, a member of the president's Council of Economic Advisers.

"We started coming out of the rescue and you saw some of the biggest financial institutions . . . who had access to cheap financing . . . use that money without lending or anything, just doing their own investments," he said. "That clearly started putting [the issue] on the radar screen for us."

Goolsbee said that Vice President Biden became a particular advocate for Volcker's approach.

In mid-December, the president formally endorsed Volcker's approach and asked Geithner and Lawrence H. Summers, the director of the National Economic Council, to work closely with the former Fed chairman to develop proposals that could be sent to Capitol Hill. The three men had long discussions about the idea, including a lengthy one-on-one lunch between Geithner and Volcker on Christmas Eve.

Summers and Geithner had been reluctant to take on battles that weren't at the heart of the problem that fueled the crisis. But ultimately, an administration official said, the two men concluded that reform needs to be about more than just fighting the last war -- it needs to address sources of future risk as well.

cntr

Banned
Using copper and electricity to scrub air of greenhouse gas

Carbon sequestration, the processing and storing of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, is one of the leading methods for the reduction of greenhouse gases. A group of scientists has now found a copper complex that is capable of reacting with carbon dioxide at a slightly elevated electric potential. The process turns the carbon dioxide into a usable byproduct which can be recycled and reused for this purpose multiple times.

An easy way to get carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere is to find a chemical that combines easily with it, similar to the way that some metals oxidize. For example, compounds involving copper will usually combine with oxygen in the atmosphere voluntarily without catalysts, covering the surface of the copper material with a green patina, like the Statue of Liberty.

Unlike oxygen, carbon dioxide cannot combine so easily with other materials. It is possible to remove one electron from the molecule to facilitate its integration into other molecules, but that removal requires an electric potential of -1.97 volts, which is unreasonably high for the purpose of processing a single molecule.

One group of scientists found a certain dinuclear copper (I) complex that turns green when exposed to air under a slight electric potential (-0.03 volts). At first, they assumed it was from the exposure to oxygen, but upon closer inspection they learned that this particular form of copper was reacting with carbon dioxide.

A few varieties of the same basic complex were able to spontaneously capture carbon dioxide, removing it from the atmosphere and reductively coupling it to the copper to form a tetranulcear copper complex with two oxalate groups, or two sets of two bonded carbon dioxide molecules (the oxalate formula is C2O42-). On its own, this is a useful mechanism, but stopping here would result in huge amounts of reacted waste copper.

To cut down on waste, the researchers found that they could wash the oxalate from the copper complex using a lithium salt, then separate the the lithium salt from the oxalate by adding acid. After this process was complete, the copper complex was returned to its original state and was ready to react with more carbon dioxide, and the recovered lithium salts were likewise reusable

Lithium is fairly expensive, but Elisabeth Bouwman, one of the authors of the paper, speculated in a Science podcast that they might be able to use regular sodium chloride. The resulting product, oxalate, is an ingredient found in many household chemicals, such as those used in the removal of rust. It can also be reduced to oxalic acid and made into antifreeze.

A copper complex and salts that are recyclable, the ability to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and a practical byproduct--it all sounds like the magical solution to climate change. Unfortunately, this chemical dream team works painfully slowly. Each molecule of the copper complex takes about seven hours to process out 12 molecules of oxalate, or 24 carbon dioxide molecules.

These aren't trivial numbers, but by the time the copper has processed that many molecules, the whole mess has to be processed twice (separating the oxalate and then the salts) before it can start over again and process more carbon dioxide. The rate-limiting factor in the process is returning the copper complex to its original state. To satisfactorily improve the process, researchers "need to optimize the electron transfer and the rate of the whole reaction," said Elisabeth Bouwman.

Science, 2010. DOI: 10.1126/science.1177981

cntr

Banned
California CIO: Open source officially welcome here

The Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the state of California has issued an IT policy letter to formally affirm that open source software is acceptable for use by government agencies in California.

As the state lies crushed beneath the burden of an unprecedented $20 billion deficit, government officials are looking for ways to cut spending and manage infrastructure more efficiently. Reducing vendor lock-in and giving more consideration to free and open source software could help the state improve its financial health.

The same dynamic is also true at the national level. Last year, the national governments of Canada and the UK both began formulating open source IT strategies. The US Department of Defense, which has a history of open source advocacy, issued a memo last year highlighting the advantages of open source adoption.

Open source software isn't necessarily a silver bullet for cheap IT, however, and can potentially increase support and deployment costs while decreasing licensing costs. It's important for these factors to be taken into consideration when governments evaluate open source software. Much like the DoD memo, California's IT policy letter stops short of mandating a preference for open source solutions. It provides formal clarification that open source technology is a valid option that should be considered alongside other available technologies.
Further reading

cntr

Banned
FCC closes loophole keeping HD programming off FiOS

Every time I read about a new dispute between two video companies like the latest between Verizon and Cablevision, I'm reminded of Woody Allen's famous comment about the entertainment business. "It's dog eat dog," he lamented. "Actually, it's worse than dog eat dog. It's dog doesn't return dog's phone calls."

That's pretty much the video biz to a tee—a world of wait-out wars, brinkmanship, and extended bouts of "chicken." And the rules of engagement are mostly found in a single law: The Cable Act. By a vote of four to one, the Federal Communications Commission tweaked those rules this week in favor of Verizon's position that it should have access to key Cablevision HD sports channels. That doesn't mean that Verizon has won the fight yet, but now the telco has a much better chance when the agency considers its case.

One thing is for sure, this decision is good news for consumers. Here's how the FCC came to it.
We want the HD, too

In July of 2009 Verizon filed a program access complaint with the FCC charging that Cablevision "continuously has denied" Verizon access under any terms to the HD versions of its regional sports programming in the New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut area. We're talking big team stuff here, including the New York Knicks and New York Rangers (not to mention the New Jersey Devils).

Verizon was able to negotiate SD video editions, but of course any service would want to offer HD as well. At the same time, Verizon charged, Cablevision has been "trumpeting" that the company "is the only HD source for four of the nine professional sports teams in the New York City metro area."

No fair, the telco cried. The Commission should come to the rescue under Section 628 of the Communications Act, as amended by the Cable Act, section (b) of which declares it unlawful for a cable or satellite cable operator to engage in "unfair methods of competition" that prevent another multichannel video program distributor (MVPD) from offering "satellite cable programming or satellite broadcast programming."

Indeed, when Congress passed that law in 1992, it made its intentions and concerns for the legislation obvious. "The cable industry has become highly concentrated," the bill stated. "The potential effects of such concentration are barriers to entry for new programmers and a reduction in the number of media voices available to consumers."

What could further that concentration more than allowing regional cable franchise owners to hoard "must have" sports team programming that millions of viewers, well, must have?

Now you might think that this language would be a no-brainer, and that nobody would even bother with these kind of shenanigans ever again, given the Cable Act's clear message. But think again, because the words "satellite cable" and "satellite broadcast" created a huge loophole for incumbents to ignore the carriage-sharing requests of MVPDs like Verizon, which offer video via fiber optic lines.

In fact, among cable combatants, this omission famously became known as the "terrestrial loophole."

But as of Wednesday, it will hopefully loop no more.
A subset of practices

So how does the FCC get FIOS into this legal picture? Before we go there, some of you Ars readers might be having a little deja vu feeling about now. Didn't the Commission just try some fancy dancing of this sort, you might be wondering, with its Order sanctioning Comcast for P2P blocking, arguing, with not much success in court, that the agency's authority rested on "ancillary" powers given to it by various policy statements in the Communications Act?

Yes, but the difference here is that there's clearer Congressional intent in the Cable Act, and it's from that intent that the agency has been building its rules for several years. In addition, the very court that gave the FCC hell this month on its Comcast move has been far more friendly to the Commission in this area.

Some history is in order here: On the last day of October 2007, the FCC gave consumers an early holiday gift by banning exclusive cable deals in multiple dwelling units (MDUs), otherwise known as apartment buildings. Restricting a building's access to one cable provider foreclosed the expansion of fiber and "triple play" (phone, video, Internet) services in many areas, the Commission observed.

"Exclusivity clauses deny MDU residents the benefits of increased competition, including lower prices and the availability of more channels with more diverse content." About four months after its decision on MDUs, the agency extended the exclusivity ban to ISPs as well.

To back this decision, the FCC invoked our friend, Section 628. Not surprisingly, the National Cable and Telecommunications Association quickly sued the FCC in the District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals. Its lawyers argued that when Congress wrote 628, it was not worried about barriers to expanded service choice, but instead about practices that prevented consumers from getting certain kinds of programming. The legal arena of conflict on lawmakers' minds was the endless battle between content providers and cable companies, NCTA contended, not roadblocks to service in general.

The DC Court brushed this argument aside in a few pages, noting that nothing in the literal text of 628 prevented the FCC from making its ruling. And although NCTA pointed to "considerable evidence that Congress was specifically concerned with unfair dealing over programming," the judges explained, "they offer no evidence from the legislative record to show that Congress chose its language so as to limit the Commission solely to that particular abuse of market power."

Well, if Congress didn't limit its language to exclude apartment dwellers, the FCC is arguing now, it didn't limit it to exclude fiber video providers, either.

"The fact that Congress singled out a subset of practices with which it was particularly concerned," its Order contends, "and required the Commission to focus on those practices expeditiously does not limit the broader rulemaking authority expressly granted to the Commission... Here, we find that unfair acts involving cable-affiliated programming, regardless of whether that programming is satellite-delivered or terrestrially delivered, pose the danger of significantly hindering MVPDs."
Small moves

But, the Commission warns, it is going to move cautiously in this area, making calls not via a general rule, but on a case-by-case basis.

"Cable operators have an incentive and ability to engage in unfair acts involving their affiliated programming," the FCC notes, but that doesn't mean that that is their intent every time. It will still be the job of petitioners to demonstrate bad intent. In addition, the agency is making it clear that it's particularly concerned about the hoarding of "non-replicable" fare, such as HD regional sports network (RSN) programming.

"If particular programming is replicable, our policies should encourage MVPDs or others to create competing programming, rather than relying on the efforts of others, thereby encouraging investment and innovation in programming and adding to the diversity of programming in the marketplace," the FCC says.

That last sentence could be music to the ears of Time Warner Cable, which is understandably protective of its very locally oriented cable channels. These include NY1 News, News 14 Carolina, News 8 Austin, SportsNet for Rochester and Buffalo, New York, and OC16 in Hawaii. Earlier this month, Time Warner, anticipating Wednesday's move, met with the FCC to argue that it would be unfair to require TWC to share those channels with other services.

TWC's prose may have reflected some bitterness inherited from its recent subscription fee war with a slew of Fox-affiliated TV stations.

We explained that Time Warner Cable has invested many millions of dollars to launch and support these local programming services, at a time when broadcasters are shuttering local news operations and retreating from their commitment to localism. Time Warner Cable’s investments advance the core public interest goals of competition, localism, and diversity, and the Commission should not take any action that impedes such beneficial undertakings. Indeed, as the Commission is contemplating ways to bolster the effectiveness of its media ownership rules in response to broadcast stations’ various efforts to combine local news operations in ways that harm the public interest, it would make no sense to create a regime that could result in compelled sharing of local news operations.
So the FCC has clearly set up Section 628 in a way that expands its pro-consumer potential, but with a flexibility that will allow it to reward cable companies for boosting journalism and local content.

Not everybody is convinced that this is the right way to go. Although the FCC's Order won over the agency's newest Republican, Meredith Attwell Baker, with its narrow, case-by-case focus, senior Republican Robert M. McDowell dissented from the move. He's still not convinced that the Commission has the statutory authority here, even with the DC Circuit court's blessing in the MDU case.

Verizon, of course, is tickled pink by the decision. "This is a big-time victory for television sports fans," declared Kathleen Grillo, Verizon senior vice president of Federal Regulatory Affairs, shortly after the announcement. "This ruling means that consumers will no longer have to stick with their incumbent cable provider in order to watch local teams in high definition."

We'll see.

cntr

Banned
NASA: 2009 tied for 2nd-warmest year, 00s hottest decade too

As the past year's temperature data came in, it became increasingly clear that 2009 was going to be a very hot one unless something unexpected happened in the latter months of the year. Something unusual did in fact happen, but it only ended up shifting warm and cold air around. As a result, when NASA completed its analysis of 2009's surface temperatures, the year ended up in a statistical tie with a handful of others as the second warmest on record.

According to NASA's methods, the warmest year on record was 2005, and 2009 shares the second-warmest title with 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006, and 2007. No surprise, then, that the past decade was also the warmest record, a finding that's far more indicative of climate change than any given year's results.

The decade's warmth may also explain why many people didn't view 2009 as unusually hot—in essence, record temperatures are the new normal. Another factor is that the high global mean temperature was driven by the Southern Hemisphere, where it was the warmest year ever seen in NASA's records. For those with a US-centric view of global temperatures, NASA helpfully points out that the contiguous 48 states only account for about 1.5 percent of the world's surface.

Relevant to this morning's discussion of reproducibility, NASA also describes how to repeat its analysis. The people responsible for the work have also provided a helpful explanation of why NASA has decided 2005 is the hottest year on record, but a slightly different approach favors 1998 as the record holder.

While on the topic of climate, we'd be remiss if we didn't mention the fact that the IPCC messed up when it picked a target year for when melting of Himalayan glaciers reaches critical levels. For some reason, its numbers came from something other than the peer-reviewed literature, and were overly pessimistic. Those glaciers are melting, but there's a lot of ice there, and it's almost impossible for it to melt that quickly.

cntr

Banned
SF mayor: city can save money with open source software

The San Francisco Committee on Information Technology has published a new software evaluation policy that requires departments of the city government to consider open source software solutions alongside proprietary commercial offerings.

In a post on Mashable that was published this morning, San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom says that the city's ongoing experiments with open source software have been successful at reducing costs. As one example, he cites the RecoverySF blog, which is built on the open source WordPress platform. He believes that San Francisco could significantly reduce its IT costs by adopting open source solutions more pervasively.

"Moving forward, there is an opportunity to save millions of dollars in software costs by using open source software. We are only scratching the surface. We can and must do more in the face of historic budget deficits. Our new open source policy requires the City to choose new technology wisely," he wrote.

Newsom also acknowledges the value of opening city data to the public through APIs. The city's DataSF website, which was created last year, has made it possible for independent software developers to produce applications that are useful to residents. The website has an application showcase with some intriguing examples, including iPhone applications that provide access to details about the city's mass transit system and a Web application that lets users see a map of recent crimes.

Earlier this week, we reported on an IT policy letter issued by the state of California which affirms that open source software is acceptable for use by government agencies. It's likely that San Francisco's decision to update its own IT procurement policy was influenced by the state's letter. Neither policy mandates a preference for open source software. San Francisco's policy appears to be a stronger endorsement, however, because it requires consideration of open source solutions, whereas the state policy merely reminds IT purchasers that open source solutions are acceptable for consideration.
Further reading

cntr

Banned
And finally, since the thread is going to end on Monday, here's a list of the top 101 of the most posty posters of the thread:

Total Posts: 46,690

1. mckmas8808 2,918
  2. GhaleonEB 2,176
  3. PantherLotus 1,662
  4. Dax01 1,233
  5. speculawyer 1,068
  6. Tamanon 973
  7. scorcho 902
  8. LovingSteam 810
  9. PhoenixDark 792
  10. Jason's Ultimatum 792
  11. ToxicAdam 792
  12. reilo 778
  13. mAcOdIn 704
  14. charlequin 694
  15. soul creator 609
  16. gcubed 602
  17. JoeBoy101 559
  18. quadriplegicjon 554
  19. WickedAngel 483
  20. Diablos 481
  21. GaimeGuy 473
  22. polyh3dron 459
  23. APF 456
  24. besada 448
  25. cntrational 439
  26. empty vessel 392
  27. turnbuckle 387
  28. ronito 370
  29. Door2Dawn 348
  30. Oblivion 341
  31. SlipperySlope 330
  32. platypotamus 321
  33. Woodsy 319
  34. cartoon_soldier 298
  35. RiskyChris 287
  36. Aaron Strife 283
  37. BowieZ 282
  38. Incognito 279
  39. Plinko 272
  40. LosDaddie 271
  41. Hitokage 265
  42. AniHawk 265
  43. Deus Ex Machina 258
  44. ViperVisor 250
  45. Mercury Fred 250
  46. Cloudy 246
  47. Gruco 226
  48. eznark 223
  49. dave is ok 217
  50. Trakdown 217
  51. JayDubya 216
  52. Jonm1010 209
  53. FlightOfHeaven 201
  54. Y2Kev 200
  55. Byakuya769 200
  56. Thunder Monkey 184
  57. DOO13ER 184
  58. StoOgE 178
  59. subrock 174
  60. Hawkian 173
  61. BrandNew 172
  62. NetMapel 171
  63. Hootie 162
  64. Gaborn 162
  65. CharlieDigital 159
  66. Evlar 158
  67. thefit 154
  68. Zero Hero 154
  69. gutter_trash 153
  70. Clevinger 152
  71. Ignatz Mouse 149
  72. gkrykewy 149
  73. Kinitari 147
  74. vandalvideo 146
  75. Stoney Mason 145
  76. SimpleDesign 144
  77. adamsappel 141
  78. Salazar 136
  79. dojokun 133
  80. Ether_Snake 131
  81. Chichikov 129
  82. Ignis Fatuus 124
  83. ItsInMyVeins 123
  84. Number 2 115
  85. Skiptastic 113
  86. Macam 111
  87. Karma Kramer 110
  88. kaching 109
  89. MiDNiGHTS 106
  90. SomeDude 105
  91. ChoklitReign 104
  92. zoku88 104
  93. TacticalFox88 103
  94. Trurl 102
  95. Fragamemnon 102
  96. sprsk 100
  97. Peronthious 97
  98. Pimpwerx 97
  99. Jackson50 96
  100. Averon 95
  101. GrotesqueBeauty 95

Pimpwerx

cntrational said:
And finally, since the thread is going to end on Monday, here's a list of the top 101 of the most posty posters of the thread:

Total Posts: 46,690
Nice. I prove once again, that it's about quality, not quantity. :D PEACE.

Tamanon

Banned
I think there are far worse places to rack up post-counts, at least the PoliGAF thread discusses something relevant to human society. Could be one of those with 7k posts in a freakin' Rock Band thread.

GhaleonEB

Politico reports that there will apparently be some talks this weekend that may save health care reform (and save the Democratic Party, and save the lives of uninsured Americans, and save countless families from bankruptcy).

Struggling to salvage health reform, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi have begun considering a list of changes to the Senate bill in hopes of making it acceptable to liberal House members, according to sources familiar with the situation.

The changes could be included in separate legislation that, if passed, would pave the way for House approval of the Senate bill -- a move that would preserve President Barack Obama's vision of a sweeping health reform plan. [...]

The changes are being worked on this weekend with plans for Pelosi to present them to her caucus next week, according to sources familiar with the situation. But, sources stressed, neither Reid nor Pelosi know if this strategy can win the support of their members, but they are attempting it because it is the quickest path to passage.

The changes being considered track closely with the agreements House and Senate leaders made in White House meetings last week, according to a source. They include the deal with labor unions to ease the tax on high-end insurance plans, additional Medicare cuts and taxes, the elimination of a special Medicaid funding deal for Nebraska and a move to help cover the gap in seniors' prescription drug coverage. Pelosi is also working to change the Senate provision that sets up state insurance exchanges. The House prefers a single, national exchange
They're trying....

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_01/022058.php

Diablos

Figure something out and pass it. They've spent so much time, it would be dumb to just back off.

Any Democrat who is afraid of the political consequences of supporting a final bill is dumb. The fall is shaping up to be pretty insane regardless. It's not how long you keep your majority, but what you do with it. For example, we are still dealing with Bush-era decisions. See: The Supreme Court letting corporations damn near dictate the course of a political campaign.

GhaleonEB said:

Going through reconciliation means that what comes out of that will be a truer expression of what Democrats stand for, as they will only need 50 Senate votes instead of the 60 that constrained them before. If there is no public option, no drug negotiation, and/or no Medicare buy-in, it will be because the Democrats, as a party, oppose those measures. And, having opposed those measures, they will have failed to garner the support among the public that they will need during the next election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom