• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasae

Banned
Truant said:
I'll rape them till they wish they were dead. Hence, Dead Space.
Fixed. But the question is.. Will you rape Nolan North? Will you rape the 360 and PS3 discs of DS2? Will you fit through their slots?

That's enough interrogation for now. I'll await PC confirmation in the meantime.

codecow

Nirolak said:
Umm... codecow?

Could you confirm or deny this?

I know EA's PR has been wrong in the past, so I'll reserve getting really annoyed until tomorrow.

I can say that what the PR person said is the "company line" although you need to read what he or she wrote very carefully, especially the "As of right now..." part. As a dev on the game it is hard for me to even keep up with changes in the SKU plan.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm sure they will deliver a good experience, but I'm really not liking all this talk about action. Hopefully it stays to it's roots. Look at RE 5, good game, nice action, but no horror. I don't want one of the first fresh survival horror franchises to end up like that already. It seems companies now are just trying to appeal to the Modern Warfare 2 crowd. Well, you can do that by making modern war games (like the new Medal of Honor) and not taking those influences and putting them into series we like.

Saying that, I'm sure the devs will produce a good game, just a bit hesitant at this point. As I thought the blend between the two were good in the first.

Hugbot

codecow said:
I can say that what the PR person said is the "company line" although you need to read what he or she wrote very carefully, especially the "As of right now..." part. As a dev on the game it is hard for me to even keep up with changes in the SKU plan.
As of right now you're breaking my heart

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Any chance of bringing stero3D option to consoles? I'd buy 3 copies (if the frame rate is stable as well)

Truant

Yasae said:
Fixed. But the question is.. Will you rape Nolan North? Will you rape the 360 and PS3 discs of DS2? Will you fit through their slots?

That's enough interrogation for now. I'll await PC confirmation in the meantime.

Slots are so relative.

LosDaddie

Banned
codecow said:

I know this isn't your dept, but please drop in a hint to give CUSTOM BUTTON MAPPING for DS2.

I played my friend's PS3 version of DS1 and was surprised to find out firing weapons was permanently mapped to R1, whereas on the X360 it's on the RT.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is that the L2 and R2 buttons on the DualShock3 are more akin to triggers instead of the L1 & R1 buttons. Please map (or alteast give the option) the aiming & firing to those buttons. IMO, the DS1 button layout for the X360 is perfect.

If the game is so far out I'm surprised it's being talked about this early on. Transparent development is always interesting to watch and keep up with, but if you're worried about a mixed response (probably undeserved, but it seems to be happening at the moment) I feel like it might best to just clam up about the game until E3.

raphier

Banned
jett said:
wat?

Isaac is kind of a clunky character in DS1...
I believe that's supposed to be a game feature. I mean one part that made old resident evil's and first dead space an ace game was clunky motion of the character. It kind of adds to the atmosphere, that you're just ordinary guy trying his/her luck in survival.

Adding smoother character changes that feeling, imo

Saty said:
It doesn't appear to be that Dead Sapce 2 will have a PC version.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/107212/no-pc-dead-space-2

What the fuck? Is EA now intentionally raping their successful games or what?

Draft

Dead Space is an action game. It has a horror setting, but it's an action game. You run, you strafe, you shoot, you melee, etc, etc. Almost every interaction with the game world involves killing, stomping, or exploding. Dead Space 2 trying to do a better job of being an action game isn't a bad thing.

Draft said:
Dead Space is an action game. It has a horror setting, but it's an action game. You run, you strafe, you shoot, you melee, etc, etc. Almost every interaction with the game world involves killing, stomping, or exploding. Dead Space 2 trying to do a better job of being an action game isn't a bad thing.
Not at all, but it's a moody, atmospheric action game, and I think people are justified in questioning whether a focus on faster action may take away from some of these other important qualities.

codecow

LosDaddie said:
I know this isn't your dept, but please drop in a hint to give CUSTOM BUTTON MAPPING for DS2.

I played my friend's PS3 version of DS1 and was surprised to find out firing weapons was permanently mapped to R1, whereas on the X360 it's on the RT.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is that the L2 and R2 buttons on the DualShock3 are more akin to triggers instead of the L1 & R1 buttons. Please map (or alteast give the option) the aiming & firing to those buttons. IMO, the DS1 button layout for the X360 is perfect.

Actually it is my department and yeah it's already on the radar and I (and a bunch of others) on the team agreed with you on DS1.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Draft said:

Well, that would make even the first Resident Evil an action game.

It's the frequency at which those action moments occur that matters, rather than the actions themselves. In DS I can recall no more than 5 moments where I had to fight multiple enemies simultaneously, most of the game being spent wandering around solo and encountering 1 or 2 enemies at one time. If DS2 is all about those "5 moments", that's a bad thing. If it stays in line with that "5 moments" frequency but makes them more interesting/exciting then it's all good.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
In my dream world they would patch Dead Space 1 on Steam to include Steam Achievements and saves in the Steam Cloud, release Dead Space 2 on Steam with the same features, and a bonus for having certain achievements complete. They would also release the Dead Space: Extraction HD that is rumored to be coming to 360 and PS3. I mean rail shooters do make more sense with a mouse than they do with a controller.

Don

codecow said:
Actually it is my department and yeah it's already on the radar and I (and a bunch of others) on the team agreed with you on DS1.
If you do change the controls at all please make sure there there is an option for both control schemes and not just giving us one or the other. For shooters on the PS3 I always prefer having L1 to aim and R1 to shoot because the triggers on PS3 just don't feel all that great.

Don said:
If you do change the controls at all please make sure there there is an option for both control schemes and not just giving us one or the other. For shooters on the PS3 I always prefer having L1 to aim and R1 to shoot because the triggers on PS3 just don't feel all that great.

I agree with this. I never understood why some devs leave the R2 to shoot. That has never felt right to me. It's always L1/R1.

TTP said:

The first Resident Evil is an action game. There's a reason the two franchises that were born from abortive attempts at making RE games were Onimusha and Devil May Cry.

I mostly agree with Draft on this. Isaac moves and controls like a shooter character and I wouldn't describe him as "clunky" personally. The horror comes from other elements of the game design -- atmosphere, monster and weapon design, etc.

Draft

TTP said:
That's right.
It's the frequency at which those action moments occur that matters, rather than the actions themselves. In DS I can recall no more than 5 moments where I had to fight multiple enemies simultaneously, most of the game being spent wandering around solo and encountering 1 or 2 enemies at one time. If DS2 is all about those "5 moments", that's a bad thing. If it stays in line with that "5 moments" frequency but makes them more interesting/exciting then it's all good.
What the hell. I can think of 5 moments in the first hour where you fight multiple enemies. In fact, I would say that solo encounters are far rarer than multi enemy scrums.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Draft said:
What the hell. I can think of 5 moments in the first hour where you fight multiple enemies. In fact, I would say that solo encounters are far rarer than multi enemy scrums.

That's quite different than what I recall. Perhaps I should have specified "simultaneously". (edit: oh, I did already :p)

**SPOILER ALERT**
For multiple enemies moments I mean those like the one where you are in that big main deck area hit by an asteroid and you have about half a dozen of those kamikaze like exploding monsters coming from everywhere, followed by other monsters.

Another one is when you land on the planet and have to lower bridges or moving the artifact.

Nizz

LosDaddie said:

codecow said:
No no no no!! The controls are perfect on PS3! I loved the fact that shooting was on R1. I hate, hate the Dualshock's triggers used for primary firing. They work best imo for secondary actions like sprinting, melee, etc.

If you do switch to the triggers, please keep in an option to use the original setup. No offense LosDaddie but the DS1 layout on 360 works because the 360 controller's triggers are great. On PS3, my fingers would always slip off. It just doesn't work.

It's enough of an issue for me that I will seriously skip over a game if they offer no other layout besides R2/L2 for shooting. I don't want to miss out on DS2. :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
fps fanatic said:
No no no no!! The controls are perfect on PS3! I loved the fact that shooting was on R1. I hate, hate the Dualshock's triggers used for primary firing. They work best imo for secondary actions like sprinting, melee, etc.

If you do switch to the triggers, please keep in an option to use the original setup. No offense LosDaddie but the DS1 layout on 360 works because the 360 controller's triggers are great. On PS3, my fingers would always slip off. It just doesn't work.

It's enough of an issue for me that I will seriously skip over a game if they offer no other layout besides R2/L2 for shooting. I don't want to miss out on DS2. :(

Agreed. If you (developers) go for R2/L2 for shooting in Dead Space 2 (without the option to use R1/L1) you are shooting yourself in the foot and losing 1 sale. To me.

LosDaddie

Banned
fps fanatic said:
No offense LosDaddie but the DS1 layout on 360 works because the 360 controller's triggers are great. On PS3, my fingers would always slip off. It just doesn't work.

Like I said above; CUSTOM BUTTON MAPPING is what's needed....and something no one should oppose.

I actually hate it when firing a weapon is mapped to the R1 button when R2 is more like a trigger. It's part of the reason why I prefer to play all multiplat games on X360. I was all messed up trying to play my friend's DS1 copy on PS3 because the shoulder buttons were switched around.

EDIT: Unless I'm mistaken, I believe CodeCow was agreeing that Custom Button Mapping was needed, not just moving aiming/firing to the L2/R2.

A little Q&A from Facebook about the new design Necromorph:
David J. McCutcheon: “Looks good. I hope you guys do not abandon the horror aspects of the game, it's one of the reasons I loved the first..”
SMP: When we started making DS1 some of the elements we included such as moving while shooting and a more agile hero were things that were different for a Survival Horror game. We are keeping horror as a major component in DS2, losing our horror roots would simply be a bad idea.

Patrick McGrath: “Feakin awesome. Willl there be an explanation to the new look of Necromorphs?”
SMP: Eventually we will be talking more about our new enemies, we just wanted to give folks on Facebook a chance to see new stuff no one else gets to.

Brendan Gouletas: “Is it blind? Will that effect how it attacks Isaac?”
SMP:Nope, he can see. You can bet that the puke element is going to factor in to how you fight him though.

Minamu

Using dual shock triggers for shooting hurts my hands just as much as Rock Band on expert. And it sucks a lot. L1/R1 is the only way to go. Please don't change it :'( I bought the first game for the ps3 because I knew that I would be able to get awesome surround sound via optical cables & I can't get that same stuff on my 360 (especially not on my new elite with hdmi only. My surround system can't handle that stuff) so I don't really want to switch consoles because of a control issue :( And the controls sure as hell is a deal breaker :)

codecow

Don said:

It will be an option. I was playing MP on PS3 today and cursing the controller the entire time, so I'll be implementing it soon maybe even this week, lol.

Oooh... new concept art?

opusmagds22z.jpg

Plus, cool magazine cover:

opusmagds2w.jpg

courtesy of: http://opusartz.com/

My god, there better be a PC version. I know it will probably end up being a "PC version comes out a month or two later" thing, but there is just no way I am buying this game on 360/PS3.

There's so much they can screw up.

No offense but after Dante's Inferno my faith in Visceral has been shaken. Even if they are separate teams.

Yasae

Banned
timetokill said:
My god, there better be a PC version. I know it will probably end up being a "PC version comes out a month or two later" thing, but there is just no way I am buying this game on 360/PS3.
Indeed, a delayed release would not be surprising.

I'm not buying that nobody knows if there will be a PC version; that's very naive. When you send out a press release stating clearly the game will be available on PC and then evade questions about it later, you're simply not ready to divulge specific info. EA knows point blank whether it exists or not, they've had plenty of time to analyze if it's a worthwhile move.

BioWare pulled this same kind of nonsense with the PC version of Mass Effect. Remember? There was absolutely no mention of it before early 2008, and their reply was "No, not at this time," when questioned about its existence. This has been a sort of tradition for their PC ports, but they could very well release a game on consoles only the way their games have been headed.

It's bald faced lying. Easy way to cover tracks, thinly veiled way to safeguard information. I say the PC version lives.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yasae said:
Indeed, a delayed release would not be surprising.

I'm not buying that nobody knows if there will be a PC version; that's very naive. When you send out a press release stating clearly the game will be available on PC and then evade questions about it later, you're simply not ready to divulge specific info. EA knows point blank whether it exists or not, they've had plenty of time to analyze if it's a worthwhile move.

BioWare pulled this same kind of nonsense with the PC version of Mass Effect. Remember? There was absolutely no mention of it before early 2008, and their reply was "No, not at this time," when questioned about its existence. This has been a sort of tradition for their PC ports, but they could very well release a game on consoles only the way their games have been headed.

It's bald faced lying. Easy way to cover tracks, thinly veiled way to safeguard information. I say the PC version lives.
Well, if I judge this by what other publishers (Capcom and Ubisoft) have done, this is what I assume happened.

Speculation: Sometime after the announcement, EA decided that even if the multiplayer was quality, it wasn't going to be a major draw for the title. After analyzing the previous game's sales, I'm guessing that they noticed that the PC version of Dead Space didn't sell a whole ton relative to the console versions, so a manager in fear of the pirate boogeymen decided to delay the PC version of the game by 1-3 months in hopes that it would increase the sales of the console versions, as those are harder to pirate.

In reality, the sales change is very likely non-existent, but that doesn't seem to stop these people from making these annoying ass delays all the time.

But that's just my guess on the situation, judging by what I've seen happen quite a few times, most recently with the sudden delay of the PC version of Assassin's Creed 2, as well as the mysteriously disappearing PC version of Lost Planet 2.

I just really hope they bundle in all the DLC for free when it finally comes out, assuming I'm right. I'm generally much less annoyed when I get a bunch of extra stuff after waiting, like in the case of Red Faction: Guerrilla.

Nirolak said:
Well, if I judge this by what other publishers (Capcom and Ubisoft) have done, this is what I assume happened.

Speculation: Sometime after the announcement, EA decided that even if the multiplayer was quality, it wasn't going to be a major draw for the title. After analyzing the previous game's sales, I'm guessing that they noticed that the PC version of Dead Space didn't sell a whole ton relative to the console versions, so a manager in fear of the pirate boogeymen decided to delay the PC version of the game by 1-3 months in hopes that it would increase the sales of the console versions, as those are harder to pirate.

In reality, the sales change is very likely non-existent, but that doesn't seem to stop these people from making these annoying ass delays all the time.

But that's just my guess on the situation, judging by what I've seen happen quite a few times, most recently with the sudden delay of the PC version of Assassin's Creed 2, as well as the mysteriously disappearing PC version of Lost Planet 2.

I just really hope they bundle in all the DLC for free when it finally comes out, assuming I'm right. I'm generally much less annoyed when I get a bunch of extra stuff after waiting, like in the case of Red Faction: Guerrilla.

Where's the data for this 'reality'?

The truth is more likely that they focus 100% of the effort of the team finishing the versions of the game likely to drive the most revenue.

If it was your money on the line, you'd do the same

Nizz

codecow said:
It will be an option. I was playing MP on PS3 today and cursing the controller the entire time, so I'll be implementing it soon maybe even this week, lol.
Whew! Thank god man.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Oooh... new concept art?

opusmagds22z.jpg
Cool. I'm digging the armor design.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
codecow said:

Yeah, crisis averted. :)

Another thing you might want to look into is make it so that every European version of the game has at least an English language option.

Dead Space was in Italian only on PS3 (Italy here), despite the amount of space available, and it was REALLY painful to hear. Especially Dario Argento's acting. Not to mention all the subtle things I lost (and later discovered on the net) like the "secret" message you get when putting together the first characters of each chapter *english* title.

Italian version of Dante's Inferno is in English as well, so I'm optimistic this mono-language crap is a thing of the past.

Sipowicz

Banned
Neuromancer said:
There's so much they can screw up.

No offense but after Dante's Inferno my faith in Visceral has been shaken. Even if they are separate teams.

i dont know why you'd have so much faith in them in the first place. they've only ever made one good game

i've got a hunch the next round of cuts at EA will all be at Visceral. the studio seems to be very bloated and as i said they're not very good

LosDaddie

Banned
codecow said:

That's great news.

Despite the anti-DI thread, there many here who still like Visceral

Hugbot

Sipowicz said:
i dont know why you'd have so much faith in them in the first place. they've only ever made one good game
Simpsons Game wasn't bad for what it was, The Godfather 2 wasn't great but I'd be hard pressed to call it not good. I can't speak to the quality of Extraction until it shows up from Newegg, but from what I've heard it's pretty good but not worth the full price. Dante's Inferno is, well, it's Dante's Inferno.

Really, it's more of a decently good developer that's responsible for a really great horror game, so it makes sense to have faith in them for the sequel. Quotes from PR and the whole DI debacle are doing a good job of shaking that faith for a lot of people, but a lot of us are going into it expecting the best. This is the big make-or-break deal for me, though, and if they dissapoint here all of that goodwill is gone.

I'm not sure how bloated the studio is, but I'd have to imagine that a number of cuts would happen if DI doesn't perform well. Until we get an indication of those numbers I wouldn't want to put money on it either way, it is already a really divisive title.

Sipowicz

Banned
Hugbot said:
Simpsons Game wasn't bad for what it was, The Godfather 2 wasn't great but I'd be hard pressed to call it not good. I can't speak to the quality of Extraction until it shows up from Newegg, but from what I've heard it's pretty good but not worth the full price. Dante's Inferno is, well, it's Dante's Inferno.

extraction wasn't made by them, it was made by eurocom and "overseen" by a few guys from visceral. it's not that good though, i sure as hell wouldn't buy the wii version when the superior/cheaper XBLA/PSN version is out soon

everything else i have played from them has ranged from mediocre to terrrible. they're a bloated one trick pony and far from an asset to a failing company like EA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom