• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSiWare face-tracking game out next week (JP)

swerve

立体かくし絵:アッタコレダ ('3D secret/hidden pictures', or thereabouts)

movie link added (thanks neo!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/krgj/index.html

Tilt your DSi to move your perspective on the picture-book world, and find different words hidden in each stage. There's a movie on the page showing a hidden letter 'A'.

caae8d0d.jpg

swerve

neo2046 said:
originally I also want to open a topic
but I have no idea how to translate the name of the game
so I have given up XD

Cool, added to the OP. The title is 'rittai kakushi e', right? So 'dimensional hidden picture' seems about right to me.

neo2046 said:
Does this little piece of software really use face-tracking

Yes. There's not tilt sensor in a DSi, and this is download software.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Looks fantastic. Not sure if the gameplay's my cup of tea, but it looks really nice. Where does the face tracking come into it?

edit - oh, it uses the tilt of the DSi + the location of your face to determine the perspective of the rendering?

swerve

gofreak said:
Looks fantastic. Not sure if the gameplay's my cup of tea, but it looks really nice. Where does the face tracking come into it?

It's using the player's face/eyes to determine how much the DS has been rotated.

It's possibly also using the outside camera and doing color-checking, but I'd wager it uses the front-facing camera and the face tracking tech related to that used in the 'Smiling Face Notebook' app Nintendo put out last year.

ReyBrujo

gofreak said:

edit - oh, it uses the tilt of the DSi + the location of your face to determine the perspective of the rendering?
That is what face tracking is supposed to be, yes.

(Edit: Kind of impossible objects like this one... be warned, it will blow your mind).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sorry, I COMPLETELY forgot the DS doesn't have a tilt sensor. I thought one had been included in the DSi, so I was like 'why does it need to know where your face is? Can't it just use the sensor to do all this tilting stuff?' :lol Now I understand.

Can I use an American Nintendo Points Card or Credit Card to buy stuff on the Japanese DSiShop channel? I need to get that a.s.a.p. It looks amazing.

swerve

El Pescado said:
Can I use an American Nintendo Points Card or Credit Card to buy stuff on the Japanese DSiShop channel?

No, but there's no way they won't bring this over. They're bringing Photo-Fighter (Photo Dojo?) over and this is equally as 'flagship' for DSiWare.

stilgar

o_O

It's a portable version of the wonderful thing this guy created with a wiimote (I know you see what I'm talking about)

Somnid

El Pescado said:
Can I use an American Nintendo Points Card or Credit Card to buy stuff on the Japanese DSiShop channel? I need to get that a.s.a.p. It looks amazing.

American credit cards do work. It's actually funny because the same credit I use doesn't work for buying points on my NA Wii.

Also I think Nintendo's new Wiiware Aquarium simulator releasing next week looks cool too but for totally different reasons:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/wiiware/wgpj/aquarium/index.html

Somnid

Caesar III said:
ok, next DS will have this tech in every game! You heard it here first

AWESOME!!

Of course it will, it needs backward compatibility with DSi. But technically any current DSi game could do this too, so why do they even need to upgrade?

Metroid Dread and Super Paper Mario DSi confirmed.

nli10

Somnid said:
Of course it will, it needs backward compatibility with DSi. But technically any current DSi game could do this too, so why do they even need to upgrade?

Metroid Dread and Super Paper Mario DSi confirmed.

For the 3d top screen & vibrating touch screen bottom! :)

Really cool. Ninty should make certain to include this enhancement to as many applicable titles as possible. It would become the 'new' parallax scroll. Might have to spring for a DSi, now... :/ This is something that I hope that is a common optional enhancement for many retail and XBLA (and hopefully GR cabinet views and Indie) games, post Natal:)lol)-release.
stilgar said:
o_O

It's a portable version of the wonderful thing this guy created with a wiimote (I know you see what I'm talking about)
Johnny Lee Chung, the guy who is one of the dudes on Project Natal now.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
don't spare us your impressions from this one, j-gaf!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nintendo need to ground-up a Paper Mario with this mechanic. Now.

Eteric Rice

Hope Nintendo's next handheld has the camera as well. This is actually really cool. :D

They should make a Doctor Who game, and use this for the inside of the Tardis.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nuclear Muffin said:
DSi does better 3D than the PS3 :lol

PS3's 3D (i.e. stereo 3D) + this (view dependent rendering) would be the best of all worlds.

I am hoping this will be more commonly used in games in the future, where it makes sense of course. Pretty much all the consoles have cameras now so there's no reason not.

donny2112

gofreak said:
Pretty much all the consoles have cameras now so there's no reason not.

Wii's is just a peripheral from Ubisoft, though. Maybe Nintendo'll do something like that as another accessory for Wii or on their next system.

markot

Banned
Nintendos next handheld console neeeeeeds to have the two screens next to each other and both be touch >.<!

Id love to see them go furthur with this idea, I gotta say, at first I was off put 'find words >.>?' then I saw how you do it and it was prett freaking brilliant!

Also, the words are all English anyway! So there should be zero problems with bringing this over asapasapasap!

And if Nintendo put out a sensor bar for the next homeconsle, it would be pretty easy to put a small camera into it too.

donny2112 said:
Wii's is just a peripheral from Ubisoft, though. Maybe Nintendo'll do something like that as another accessory for Wii or on their next system.

But didn't Nintendo help them make the camera?

Markot said:
And if Nintendo put out a sensor bar for the next homeconsle, it would be pretty easy to put a small camera into it too.

That's what I've been hoping for with the next system. A Sensor bar/ motion camera combo that also includes WiiSpeak if they choose to stick with that approach for audio communication.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Again, this is the sort of software DSiWare needs. Clever little things that take advantage of what it offers differently.

yankee666

Im glad i own a Jap DSi. This game plus the fighter one (i cat remember the name) are reason enough to own a DSi. To bad Nintendo doesnt allow Dsiware transfer to another DSi, if they come up with something (i doubt it) ill pick up a Dsi Xl without thinking it.

Is this actually tracking the user's face, or just motion from the camera? Cell phone games have been using cameras as substitute tilt sensors for years; granted, most of the implementations I've seen have been less polished than this one.

swerve

Father_Brain said:
Is this actually tracking the user's face, or just motion from the camera?
For reliability I think it'd be beneficial to use a recognised pattern - such as a face - as well as more general color/pattern matching techniques.

This software already shows that they have face-recognition working very well on DSi:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kagj/index.html (it won't start until it sees your face smiling at it, and then it won't take a photo unless it can see a face in the center of the frame).

Top Bottom