• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So we need to ask....

The whole thing about us going after bigger games like Fatal Frame, Yakuza, etc, is that they wouldn't be part of the LRG line. We would just be paying to be the sole distributor basically. We would have to charge more than our normal price. For example Yakuza 5 would be $45-$60 and we would have to order at least 5,000 copies, but in some cases for other games we would order up to 10,000, maybe more.

So what we want to know is, would you honestly pay that price? We don't want people to think if we get a huge game that we can magically make the price $24.99-$30. We would have to buy these games at bulk from the publisher. BUT it would mean that a physical copy would actually exist and we would have access to even more titles in the future if this did well.

So just take a moment to digest that. We have a chance right now to do something similar with a game for Vita but the price would have to be $44.99. But we would gain access to more titles in that series and possibly other series from them.
I would also happily pay full price for such games. Absolutely.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
This list is making me forget how many of these DD-only titles there are: Ray Gigant, Phoenix Wright 5, Yakuza 5, Fatal Frame 5... I totally want them all!! Bring it on!!

So we need to ask....

The whole thing about us going after bigger games like Fatal Frame, Yakuza, etc, is that they wouldn't be part of the LRG line. We would just be paying to be the sole distributor basically. We would have to charge more than our normal price. For example Yakuza 5 would be $45-$60 and we would have to order at least 5,000 copies, but in some cases for other games we would order up to 10,000, maybe more.

So what we want to know is, would you honestly pay that price? We don't want people to think if we get a huge game that we can magically make the price $24.99-$30. We would have to buy these games at bulk from the publisher. BUT it would mean that a physical copy would actually exist and we would have access to even more titles in the future if this did well.

So just take a moment to digest that. We have a chance right now to do something similar with a game for Vita but the price would have to be $44.99. But we would gain access to more titles in that series and possibly other series from them.

That price is totally fine, depending on the game if course. If you can make Yakuza or Fatal Frame happen, I would order on the spot.

Nekobo

So we need to ask....

Would pay full MSRP for those games in a heartbeat. I doubt you'll have problems selling out with those series.

Shinriji

If it is retail game, it is expected to charge retail prices. Of course $45 is a little more than the usual $39.99, but if you have ways to sweeten the deal (like a nice manual, discount voucher for other LRG games), I don't think that people will complain that much.

So we need to ask....

I would do it!

icecream

Public Health Threat
We just worry because NISA seems to take awhile to sell out of their CE of games even at $60...
That all depends on stock, does it not? Unsure if NISA has the same quantity on hand of each CE they put out.

It also is dependent on the franchise. Some franchises will attract more buyers than others, and it's kinda hard to extrapolate to your situation depending on if it's a popular niche franchise (i.e. Atelier) or a more unknown one.

DryvBy

So we need to ask....

I love what you guys do and I would gladly pay for an English copy of Yakuza 5 to hold and hug.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty excited and have some renewed hope now with some titles :) I know it's not guaranteed we can get all the titles we really want, but it's still awesome that you might be able to pull miracles for some :p

Any ETA when we might hear some news? Or are negotiations still in quite a process?

We would love to go after things like,

The Atelier series (there are a bunch that never got physical!)
Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

So yeah let us know if you'd legit buy these titles.

shinkai

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

The Atelier series (there are a bunch that never got physical!) (yes)
Yakuza 5 (YES!)
Fatal Frame (YEEESSS!!)
Phoenix Wright (YEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!)
Attack On Titan (Eh.... but would still buy)

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

Oh easily. Every single one listed I'd purchase.
Not just being random internet voice about it either.

Shinriji

Attack On Titan

Yeah. Just sign that Tecmo Koei deal and bring it over, also those TK games that was digital only (Warriors Orochi 3, Samurai Warriors 4-2, Deception 4: Nightmare Princess)

blacksark

So we need to ask....

The answer is very easy.YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.
It's obvious that yakuza 5 wouldn't release for 25-30$ and we are talking that it's a AAA game and those release for that price.In fact my most wanted game is zero escape 3 and it's going to cost me 48$ and believe me I'm not going to complain about that, and I would pay the money right now if it was possible.So go ahead there is no problem about that, the only problem I have is region locked consoles other than that it's fine.Also although it has been a very low raise oddworld is going to cost more than the other games you've released, but with all my respect it's understandable as it's the game with the biggest "name".

About the games:
The Atelier series. Yes.
Yakuza 5. Yes x1000
Fatal Frame Yes
Phoenix Wright Yes
Attack On Titan Don't know.

In order for me: yakuza 5>phoenix wright>fatal frame>atelier>attack on titan.

Because although I don't own ntsc consoles there is always the possibility.

Saoshyant

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

Yakuza 5, god yes!
Atelier series, yes, probably any of them
Phoenix Wright, quite so

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

I would buy every one of them except for Phoenix Wright and Fatal Frame because of the region lock.

It's really awesome that you guys are thinking about doing that, I can't thank you enough.

Camwi

So we need to ask....

Yes, fuck yes, please yes. I hate the fact that the new Yakuza is digital only. You would be our savior.

The Atelier games too, assuming you're talking about the Plus versions.

NDPsycho

We totally understand that! These would be cart only or disc only. No CE or super cool bonus stuff.

We just worry because NISA seems to take awhile to sell out of their CE of games even at $60...

Clearly the series would impact that, some sell out faster than others, but all seem to eventually sell out. Yakuza 5 needs to happen some how. Count me in the group that will buy any vita releases, but will damn near pay anything for a physical disk of Yakuza 5.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

The Atelier series: YESSS!!! (Would be awesome to have a complete Vita set!)
Yakuza 5: YESSS!!!
Fatal Frame: YESSS!!!
Phoenix Wright: YESSS!!! (Got this digital already but would day 1 double dip!)
Attack On Titan: For the collection, yes, but lowest priority, considering the others above

Yes to all and not just some Internet commitment either.

I have bought all of the LRG releases and will be buying the next two this month.

flohen95

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

I'd buy Ace Attorney 5 in a heartbeat even though I have a EU 3DS (and a digital copy of the game as well as a Japanese retail one). The trilogy would be uninteresting to me since the Japanese copy has the English versions on it, and it being a US copy or a JP copy makes no difference because of the region lock.

I'd be in for Yakuza 5, too. Definitely.

t26

Well most of the followers of this topic are hardcore collectors and are likely saying yes. I am sure you know this but you are taking a huge chance with 10k or more. Yakuza 4 only sold about half of what Yakuza 3 sold, and Yakuza DS only sold around 6k copies.

zulux21

So we need to ask....

for full releases if there is a physical option I will always go with that over digital (unless your game is called rock band 4 as that was the one exception as I knew I would pull that one up from time to time over the next decade)

I'd pay out the nose for a physical release like Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies.

this... so much this.
If I could get that game physically I would happily pay $60 for barebones. So annoyed I can't put it next to my other AA games.
here's hoping that someday capcom goes... I guess we have some spare time and can release the ones we skipped and we get Attorney Investigations 2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban. heck I wish they would kickstart them as I have little doubt they would make it (assuming a reasonable budget) given how passionate AA fans are.

Saoshyant

I would buy every one of them except for Phoenix Wright and Fatal Frame because of the region lock.

Region lock? If you are in Europe, Fatal Frame got a physical LE release with a bunch of goodies. It may be harder to track down now, but you can probably still find it somewhere for 80€ or so.

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

I'd buy all of them instead of Fatal Frame, that's just because I've already got the Euro CE. But to even things up I'd totally buy two copies of Yakuza 5 (one for me, one for my friend).

At $45 it will be a hard sell for any Vita game at this moment, except for Doax 3.

If you could make it a 'limited edition' with some goodies people are probably more likely to buy a physical version. As proven by the Hyperdimension limited editions, the extra stuff does not even have to be all that good for people to go bananas.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
At $45 it will be a hard sell for any Vita game at this moment, except for Doax 3.

Personally, if it's the ONLY WAY to get a physical copy, I don't think a $5 raise will kill any means of success, especially among Vita fans, and the fact that the numbers of the print run will still be very small.

Please add hyper light drifter to that list!

If we released a physical HLD, that would be published the traditional route - the pricing would reflect our normal prices and it would be a part of the Limited Run Collection.

We're playing the game right now and it is absolutely fantastic. Really hoping we can sign a deal for the PS4 version.

I'd love to add those games to my collection. I've purchased all of the releases thus far and plan to continue making those purchases.

Chesskid1

Banned
our little baby LRG is growing up so fast.

also i think it's kind of pointless to ask a hardcore gaming forum if we want those franchises. if they have any name recognition at all, the answer is mostly yes. i mean breach and clear and saturday morning rpg sold out fairly quickly and those were mostly unknown.

i think you should look at the analytics of how your limited run games with actual names are pulling in, and go from there, to see if it's feasible to do 10k print runs.

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

For this to work you really have to pick your battles.
Cheap games can be like a subscription service as a lot of the same people can afford to collect them even if they're not that interested in some.
But for more expensive games you really have to target a specific fanbase. Sizing that fanbase can be a lot more tricky...

Prelude.

So we need to ask....

Oh, absolutely.
For a game like Yakuza 5 I'd probably pay even more than full price, but I have no issue with standard retail prices.
And to be honest, I'd rather give my money to you guys since you're providing this incredible service and deserve the money, than importing asian english editions and overpaying for no reason.

If there's one thing that I really don't like is having a Collector's Edition as the only physical version of a game. Personally, I don't care at all about the kind of CE that publishers do, I just want a physical copy and that's it. So, putting inside a cd, a leaflet and a poster to justify a $30-40 extra is something I really, really dislike.

We would love to go after things like...

The Atelier series - Absolutely
Yakuza 5 - Hell yeah
Fatal Frame - Don't care
Phoenix Wright - Nah. Also, region lock
Attack On Titan - Most likely, yes

And also consider Ray Gigant, please.

Just a note about the Atelier series that you should be aware of in case one of the other Ateliers runs into the same problem, or even similar situations for other games.

As you probably know, Atelier Escha & Logy+ released physically only as a LE and only in NA. The game is dual audio but since they (allegedly) couldn't fit both audio tracks in a cart, they made the japanese dub a free DLC, and only included the english one in the cart.
What's the issue? Well, if you have a EU account and imported the game you can't install the japanese dub DLC downloaded from the EU store because it's not compatible with the US physical copy since they have different IDs. And obviously you can't also access the US store because only 1 account is allowed per system.

Now, there are a few things you could do to prevent this issue:

- Put both dubs in.
The numbers don't quite add up so the "size" excuse might be just a lie and it's actually a way to pay less for licensing the dub. They did the same with Neptunia PS4 and I'm pretty sure there's plenty of space in a BD.

- Make the japanese dub the default one in the cart and the english one as DLC.
Most of the audience of these games prefer the japanese dub so it makes sense to have that as the default one. Plus, I'm gonna assume that the high majority of people that use the english dub don't live in Europe.

- Make the DLC compatible with both regions.
There's no issue with the DLC being on a different store's region than the copy's region. Most asian english games use the same ID as either the NA or EU copy so, for example, if I import Digimon Cyber Sleuth from asia and download the DLCs from the EU store, I can install them because both versions use the same game ID.

- Have them upload a DLC that is compatible with your physical copy.
Let's assume you publish Ayesha+ and you need to split the dub into a DLC. Make them upload on the EU store a "Atelier Ayesha Plus - Japanese Voice Option (Physical release only)" or something like that, compatible with the (NA) physical release.

And that's it. It's seems like a minor complaint but receiving your (expensive) Limited Edition only to find out that the dub you want to use is not in the cart and you can't even install it, with no one at KT making that clear before release, is something I don't want to experience again. Dumb cosmetic stuff is fine, but not being able to use the original dub is a big deal for some people.

And that's it. It's seems like a minor complaint but receiving your (expensive) Limited Edition only to find out that the dub you want to use is not in the cart and you can't even install it, with no one at KT making that clear before release, is something I don't want to experience again. Dumb cosmetic stuff is fine, but not being able to use the original dub is a big deal for some people.

Do the download versions of the Arland trilogy come as dual audio? All three are under the requisite 4GB for a physical release. If a release through us was to happen, it's unlikely Koei would do any extra work on it; whatever is available on PSN is going to be what ends up on the cartridge.

Ultimately I feel like that is better than nothing, but that does seem like an issue that may prevent some folks from buying our (potential) releases.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
our little baby LRG is growing up so fast.

also i think it's kind of pointless to ask a hardcore gaming forum if we want those franchises. if they have any name recognition at all, the answer is mostly yes. i mean breach and clear and saturday morning rpg sold out fairly quickly and those were mostly unknown.

i think you should look at the analytics of how your limited run games with actual names are pulling in, and go from there, to see if it's feasible to do 10k print runs.

Yeah, agreed.

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

Yes for Atelier, the rest I either don't care about or don't have the system for. I can also see why the games would have to sell for retail or higher, no one should seriously be expecting to pay PSN sale prices.

One thing with AoT Vita though, has it been said there will be no Asian English physical copy of the game? I know Koei isn't nearly as big on this as Bamco is, but they still have done it in the past.

Ephidel

I wouldn't have any problems with a $45 price point for a "regular" release of a vita game I wanted. It works out at ~£30 which is a perfectly normal price for a retail copy of a game anyway. Granted there'd be shipping costs to consider, but that still seems fair.

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

There aren't enough Yes-es to express how excited I would be for physical versions of Phoenix Wright 5/6. A higher price wouldn't be a concern for me - if it's the only way I can get them physically I'll pay it.

(I wouldn't be as interested in the 3DS re-release of the original trilogy though because I already have the original trilogy).

That said, with 3DS titles you do have the region locking problem to consider, as you're potentially knocking out a large chunk of your market because they can't use the games (Just not me, because I have 3DS consoles from multiple regions. What can I say, I like Atlus games).

I'd also pay for the Vita Atelier games physically because I'd like to have a set ^_^
So I'd be willing to buy Totori/Meruru/Rorona, Ayesha/Shallie, and Sophie). I probably wouldn't buy Escha & Logy because I already have that. (And, in the interests of honesty, if Koei Tecmo/NISA did a limited edition of their own of any of those with extras and stuff I'd probably try and buy that instead of your release).

I'm not sure about AoT yet.

I probably wouldn't buy console games though. Not because of the prices you're talking about as they look entirely fair to me, it's just that I game almost entirely on handhelds (and pc) because taking over the tv to play a console game for any reasonable length of time just isn't doable for me.

Zalman

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

As a huge Phoenix Wright fan I've been wanting a physical copy of the fifth game for years. However, I live in Europe so it seems I'm screwed either way because of region-lock. :/

Prelude.

Do the download versions of the Arland trilogy come as dual audio? All three are under the requisite 4GB for a physical release. If a release through us was to happen, it's unlikely Koei would do any extra work on it; whatever is available on PSN is going to be what ends up on the cartridge.

Ultimately I feel like that is better than nothing, but that does seem like an issue that may prevent some folks from buying our (potential) releases.
Yes, they're all dual audio but they're all a single download, the dub in not in a DLC.

Escha & Logy Plus is the only exception. They said that the jp dub is a dlc because it couldn't fit in the cartridge and because of that even the download copy doesn't include it.

But if I look at the store, the game is 2.5gb and the jp dub is 659mb so they should fit in a Vita cart, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom