• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a reason why Australia has the most deadliest creatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a chain reaction. One dangerous species caused evolution to favor another dangerous species and so on and so forth. The spiders have to be tough to survive the snakes. The snake have to be tough to survive the spiders. Its an ongoing war that has raged for millions of years.

tumblr_mmhyrplc3v1s96utdo3_400.gif

You know Australia also went to war with Emus...and lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

Quote from an Orthinologist,

"The machine-gunners' dreams of point blank fire into serried masses of Emus were soon dissipated. The Emu command had evidently ordered guerrilla tactics, and its unwieldy army soon split up into innumerable small units that made use of the military equipment uneconomic. A crestfallen field force therefore withdrew from the combat area after about a month."

This is Australia's terrestrial apex predator -
cptuama.jpg

Unless you're Meryl Streep's baby, that shit is LOL-worthy.

Meanwhile, in north America -

20UJS6g.jpg

Which is to say, U-S-A! U-S... err sorry, I meant to say, Australia doesn't have the most deadliest creatures, it does have a lot of venomous animals, it's a bit overblown but given the size of its land mass it there are a high number of them.
I don't think that we know exactly why (at least I never read a really good explanation), some of it have to do with the type of environment there and it might just be that random act off isolated evolution.

That's a cute apples and oranges analogy mate, here's a more direct comparison :)

american-bald-eagle-vs-australian-wedge-tail-eagle.jpg

jambo

"The machine-gunners' dreams of point blank fire into serried masses of Emus were soon dissipated. The Emu command had evidently ordered guerrilla tactics, and its unwieldy army soon split up into innumerable small units that made use of the military equipment uneconomic. A crestfallen field force therefore withdrew from the combat area after about a month."

zKQAWaT.jpg

Snaggle

Banned
Cuz we're hardcore.

But seriously our most dangerous creatures are snakes, spiders and jellyfish. Not counting great whites I think countries with bears, big cats etc are infinitely more dangerous while at the same time having rattle snakes as well.

Australia not that bad just a few bad insects and we don't even get stuff like Japanese/African wasps which I will take a spider over any day.

UuZ3vgX.jpg

That's what made it a great place to send criminals. It was created for that.

Joking aside, I have no idea. Australia seems so beautiful, but its spiders scare me. It's always been a place I've wanted to visit, and my #1 for quite some time, but...

The only massive spider an average Australian will see is the Huntsman and aside from being fast when trying to catch the buggers, they are harmless. Heck, a spider I'm pretty sure was a baby huntsman fell on my face last night when playing 3DS in bed. No bites and the thing was off before I could react. If it hadn't hit my eyelash I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even noticed :p

Oh and just to have a bit of fun, this was found in Australia at Christmas last year :-D
goanna.jpg

http://www.techinsider.io/giant-goanna-lace-monitor-in-australia-is-real-2015-12

I removed a 1.5 metre / 5 foot goanna from my property just over a month ago, took it to a vet because it had shallow breathing and didn't attempt to attack me when I found it. It unfortunately passed away the next day, internal injuries from falling out of a gum tree :(

The vet wasn't very happy about me walking in with it, but that's how it goes lmao.

Mephala

I love these types of threads.

Lets not forget about this asshole.
vda8og3.gif

Cassowaries don't fuck around.
If you see this, you are not safe. It can jump. It runs quick. It can even fucking swim some distances.

Actually, let me find that thread from a while back. Here you go.
Today is that special day every year in which we celebrate Australia's coolest bird, the cassowary!

kxBQozom.jpg

Cassowaries are indigenous to the rainforest of northern Australia, New Guinea, and the surrounding islands. While they are omnivorous, they primarily eat fruit, which they swallow whole. The fruit travels quickly through the cassowary's digestive system, leaving the seeds intact. Cassowaries are considered a keystone species of the local rainforests due to their role in dispersing the seeds of local plant life.

mk4nt0Km.jpg

Cassowaries are very territorial. Male cassowaries inhabit territories of about seven square kilometers, with females having territories that overlap several males. Cassowaries have a long, dagger-like claw attached to the end of powerful legs, which are used to kick adversaries. Cassowaries are considered dangerous, and there have been hundreds of reported cassowary attacks.

sLqRk87m.jpg

Chariot

Ever heard of Mother Nature retaking what it hers? Australia is the frontier of the war. Local Human Propoganda is telling people that Australia js justva country, when it is in fact a savage war world, a fortress with the best human soldiers found. Even a small australian child can kill any non-australian animal. Those who survive their first years in Australia become Australians. They are the only ones between us and Mother Natures Animal Warp where she spawns hideous and brutal creatures to slay the Australians and to ultimately conquer the weak core and craft worlds behind it.

Crocodiles are remote, Kangaroos are only deadly if you fight them, and Dropbears are being becoming extinct due to their habitats being destroyed by urban development, so they are no longer a major threat to humans.

Also due to the current el-nino drought Bunyips are cautious and don't stray too far from the nearest billabong and Yowies have taken to manscaping, gentrified to towns and are now known as Bogans.

Australia might have had it's first Red Back spider bit death in the last couple of days in more than 60 years as well!

Poona

I think all this stuff about Australia having all these scary creatures can be a bit much at times.

Australia doesn't have native animals like lions, tigers, cougars, bears, wolves, coyotes, etc. The dingo and crocodile are the toughest it gets in Australia (rip thylacine aka Tasmanian tiger) although I guess emus, cassowaries and kangaroos can be capable of giving a wallop, but the same exists for many animals that feel threatened.

Though when people talk about spiders, etc ok yes they are in Australia in certain areas but I've never encountered anything too bad (live near Melbourne) . Just huntsmen are the worst I've seen.

Jodast

Australia seems so beautiful, but its spiders scare me. It's always been a place I've wanted to visit, and my #1 for quite some time, but...

Nah, the spiders aren't really that scary. I can't speak much about the Sydney Funnel Web, but as far as the Redback goes, you've just gotta be careful putting your hands in places that are rarely disturbed (like the outhouse seat :p)

Also keep in mind that the internet's favourite Australian spider, the huntsman, is generally harmless to humans :)

w3bba

Australia is the sandbox of mother nature to prepare for the nuclear wasteland.

I for one welcome our new emu overlords

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Pictures....nopenopenope. God doesn't like Australia, nuke it from orbit just to be safe.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Australia has a shit ton of tropical diseases, especially in the areas of North QLD which are tropical climates. Unlike developing countries, Australia is better at controlling them and/or eliminating local cases. Examples of disease control include dengue fever and malaria.

Isolation doesn't explain NZ, which has very few dangerous animals. No dangerous native mammals, no snakes, and only two native species of poisonous spiders, one of which is not deadly, and another one which runs away from humans consistently.

It's too fucking cold.

spekkeh

Banned
I think most of Australia's deadly animals primarily live/come from isolated and difficult to reach places. That is, the sea and the outback. So them not being made extinct by humans in the country's history seems to be the major factor. Then of course the introduction of rabbits and camels quickly made the Australians aware of their precious ecosystem, meaning they are more strict on conservationism for longer. Whereas any sensible country would poison the fuck out of lagoons and crevices to kill the jellyfish and spiders.

spekkeh

Banned
Also whether justified or not, the Australian government consists of incredible pussies, with signs everywhere stating how the most obvious or benign things will absolutely kill you if you get within twenty meters, so this probably factors into the general perception too.

At this point "Australia has the most deadly shit" is a tired Internet meme which has little basis in fact. We have a lot of things which will, empirically speaking, fuck your shit up hugely; but nobody lives where those things do. Living in Florida I encountered more murderous wildlife than I ever have in Sydney, though we have things like huntsman spiders which look terrifying despite being pretty much harmless.

Moff

aren't tigers and cheetahs, lions and all those things the deadliest creatures
I read the hippo has the highest human body count
so I'd say africa

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Actually scientifically, if you sit and listen to anyone from Canberra long enough, you will eventually evolve the poison and the bite needed to shut them up.

Why do you hate us do much? You should visit for a couple weeks and maybe realise Canberra and its people aren't so bad.

Bogans are the most dangerous animals by the way. Look it up.

cptuama.jpg

20UJS6g.jpg

Which is to say, U-S-A! U-S... err sorry, I meant to say, Australia doesn't have the most deadliest creatures, it does have a lot of venomous animals, it's a bit overblown but given the size of its land mass it there are a high number of them.
I don't think that we know exactly why (at least I never read a really good explanation), some of it have to do with the type of environment there and it might just be that random act off isolated evolution.

The chances of coming a cropper to the multitudes of poisonous and dangerous sea animals in Oz far outweigh the chances of running into a bear in the US.
I mean a bear isn't exactly coming in to your apartment in New York central but the chances of being bitten by a venomous and deadly little critter in Australia is very likely wherever you are.
Also in Oz you have to be careful when sitting down on the shitter, check first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM1hhKgg434

Blues1990

It was a chain reaction. One dangerous species caused evolution to favor another dangerous species and so on and so forth. The spiders have to be tough to survive the snakes. The snake have to be tough to survive the spiders. Its an ongoing war that has raged for millions of years.

"But everything changed when the Honey Bee Nation attack!"

The only massive spider an average Australian will see is the Huntsman and aside from being fast when trying to catch the buggers, they are harmless. Heck, a spider I'm pretty sure was a baby huntsman fell on my face last night when playing 3DS in bed. No bites and the thing was off before I could react. If it hadn't hit my eyelash I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even noticed :p

Oh and just to have a bit of fun, this was found in Australia at Christmas last year :-D
goanna.jpg

http://www.techinsider.io/giant-goanna-lace-monitor-in-australia-is-real-2015-12

that's a huge ass gecko

The chances of coming a cropper to the multitudes of poisonous and dangerous sea animals in Oz far outweigh the chances of running into a bear in the US.
I mean a bear isn't exactly coming in to your apartment in New York central but the chances of being bitten by a venomous and deadly little critter in Australia is very likely wherever you are.
Also in Oz you have to be careful when sitting down on the shitter, check first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM1hhKgg434

"Very likely" is a massive exaggeration.

goanna.jpg

I'd die of a heart attack instantly if I found one of these on the walls of my house. Is this for real?

itxaka

Defeatist

cant.stop.laughing.

kswiston

Even before humans killed a lot of the bigger ones, Marsupials werent as large or as dominant as the placental mammals were. This allowed big reptiles and birds to take up some of their niches.

Someone pointed out dingos as Austalia's apex predator. Those are just the ancestors of feral dogs that humans brought over.

I think all this stuff about Australia having all these scary creatures can be a bit much at times.

Australia doesn't have native animals like lions, tigers, cougars, bears, wolves, coyotes, etc. The dingo and crocodile are the toughest it gets in Australia (rip thylacine aka Tasmanian tiger) although I guess emus, cassowaries and kangaroos can be capable of giving a wallop, but the same exists for many animals that feel threatened.

Though when people talk about spiders, etc ok yes they are in Australia in certain areas but I've never encountered anything too bad (live near Melbourne) . Just huntsmen are the worst I've seen.

I'd bet on a saltwater croc over everything on that list save some of the bigger bears, tbh. It's kinda hard to beat being a six-fucking-metre long armoured amphibious death machine.

Even before humans killed a lot of the bigger ones, Marsupials werent as large or as dominant as the placental mammals were. This allowed big reptiles and birds to take up some of their niches.

Someone pointed out dingos as Austalia's apex predator. Those are just the ancestors of feral dogs that humans brought over.

Dingos are not Australia's sole apex predator. This is also one of them.

openrob

cptuama.jpg

20UJS6g.jpg

If there was a crazy national animal death match, what country would win?

Because the bear is big, but the spider could probably take it down.

The UK would be out before we started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom