• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GDC 2010 Press Conference (PS Move, PSWii Sports, PSWii Boxing, PSWii Party)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shurs said:
You'd think, at this point, they titles would be more technically proficient.

I think you're looking at it back to front. They delayed precisely because the software wasn't (and isn't) up to scratch.

If you go back and look at interviews from E3 and later in the year, when asked if Spring was a solid date they would say 'on the hardware side, sure'. The delay should have been confirmation the software wasn't quite ready, so here now in early March, it's not too surprising the software's not wholly polished yet.

Realistically, I don't expect really amazing applications of this tech this year. There's a sufficient learning curve with it (specifically, 1:1 motion tracking) beyond the very obvious applications that I think, like most platforms, the first year software isn't going to hold up well when we look back in a few years.

gofreak said:
I think you're looking at it back to front. They delayed precisely because the software wasn't (and isn't) up to scratch.

If you go back and look at interviews from E3 and later in the year, when asked if Spring was a solid date they would say 'on the hardware side, sure'. The delay should have been confirmation the software wasn't quite ready, so here now in early March, it's not too surprising the software's not wholly polished yet.

Realistically, I don't expect really amazing applications of this tech this year. There's a sufficient learning curve with it (specifically, 1:1 motion tracking) beyond the very obvious applications that I think, like most platforms, the first year software isn't going to hold up well when we look back in a few years.

I was so looking forward to RE5 with wand though :-( It could be successful just based on what it adds to shooters
at least if everyone was like me

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah... no

Well, when the DS and Wii were announced, everyone ridiculed them, and now everyone's following them, so it's pretty understandable. I think it's just PR anyway, aimed at the "hardcore" Nintendo fan (he's "taking names" now). But I also I dislike this aggressive crap, especially coming from someone who doesn't really have much to do with Nintendo's innovation, but I think a single part of the Iwata Asks stuff compensates for all his crap.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Maxrunner said:
Yes but mouse completely hides it......way to miss the point....:lol

Well, I was not referring to the ball specifically, but to the device in general.

How do they call it? A "mouse"? lolz etc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Flachmatuch said:
I was so looking forward to RE5 with wand though :-( It could be successful just based on what it adds to shooters

If you're looking forward to RE5 with it, I see no reason to stop! Don't get me wrong, I'm just talking about really sophisticated uses of 1:1 motion tracking and other aspects of the tech that'll take longer for people to get a hold on.

DemonNite said:
You think they want to show their hand in one go? now the date is further away they have held some back until then

The goal was to get a best first impression. When you unveil something new, you want to showcase the best software you have to offer.

Nintendo unveiled the Wii with Wii Sports, the biggest piece of software this generation. They unveiled Motion+ with Wii Sports Resort, another killer app. The Balance Board came with Wii Fit.

gofreak said:
If you're looking forward to RE5 with it, I see no reason to stop! Don't get me wrong, I'm just talking about really sophisticated uses of 1:1 motion tracking and other aspects of the tech that'll take longer for people to get a hold on.

I meant that it was supposed to come out around this time, I'm still looking forward to it :-D Not that I don't have enough games to play right now, I haven't even finished FF13 yet and Yakuza 3 has already arrived. I might even have to delay buying JC2 (except I won't), there are so many games to play. This gen's finally starting up, even the Wii would be enough to keep me going, and it's probably my least played system atm. I really hope there's not going to be a next gen for a few more years (and I'm pretty sure it'd not be worth it for the platform holders either, so I'm pretty optimistic now).

Banned
gofreak said:

You're most probably correct, but I genuinely think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with plenty of retro-fitted Move controls in games we already own. (Uncharted, Heavy Rain, LBP, Resi5) Sprinkle that with some nice HD Wii ports, (Mad World, World of Goo, & Boom Blox come to mind) smaller PSN downloads (REZ!), and a decent RTS and you could say that'd be a pretty amazing first year. Yeah, not a lot of innovation in the stuff I mentioned but even if half that stuff was released I'd be blown away.

Hey guys back from GDC.

Quick summary: The technology seems 1:1 as expected but the current crop of software is definitely in need of tuning. Hardware good Software in alpha state.

I evaluated with an EA QA buddy of mine (who does not work on motion stuff) and we have the same conclusions.

I have some pictures I will upload and type up what I evaluated and noticed.

TTP:
Only a Sony worker drone was there but he claimed the subcontroller would NOT have motion capabilities.

00011000 said:
You're most probably correct, but I genuinely think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with plenty of retro-fitted Move controls in games we already own. (Uncharted, Heavy Rain, LBP, Resi5) Sprinkle that with some nice HD Wii ports, (Mad World, World of Goo, & Boom Blox come to mind) smaller PSN downloads (REZ!), and a decent RTS and you could say that'd be a pretty amazing first year. Yeah, not a lot of innovation in the stuff I mentioned but even if half that stuff was released I'd be blown away.

Exactly, and this is why I was so curious about the pointing (for Uncharted, Killzone, RE5 etc). I'd really love to play Halo CE with Wiimote controls too, but it's too much to ask I think :)

Raist said:
Since when? Unless everyone = 50% of gaf

I mean the gaming press, not Gaf, I think Gaf has always been more objective and intelligent about the Wii/DS than the mainstream gaming press (which is where Reggie's relevant hehe). Not in consensus (it was the same) but in having a range of opinions and good insights.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I hope they are just misinformed about the subcontroller. Putting a basic motion sensor is merely par for the course. There are important of uses of it - boxing, loading your gun...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
UntoldDreams said:
Hey guys back from GDC.

Quick summary: The technology seems 1:1 as expected but the current crop of software is definitely in need of tuning. Hardware good Software in alpha state.

I evaluated with an EA QA buddy of mine (who does not work on motion stuff) and we have the same conclusions.

I have some pictures I will upload and type up what I evaluated and noticed.

TTP:
Only a Sony worker drone was there but he claimed the subcontroller would NOT have motion capabilities.

Thanks for asking! I hope they change that!

Looking forward to your impressions and pics.

JaxJag said:
SNES wasn't innovative either.

They aren't as innovative as they think.

The SNES had:
shoulder buttons
Diamond-oriented buttons, which became the standard for what? 15 years?
Mode 7
SuperFX

The last two were precursors to the 3D generation to follow.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Flachmatuch said:

Well, when the DS and Wii were announced, everyone ridiculed them, and now everyone's following them, so it's pretty understandable. I think it's just PR anyway, aimed at the "hardcore" Nintendo fan (he's "taking names" now). But I also I dislike this aggressive crap, especially coming from someone who doesn't really have much to do with Nintendo's innovation, but I think a single part of the Iwata Asks stuff compensates for all his crap.

Well, Nintendo did do a complete 180 right around the time Reggie joined. And I think the brilliant advertising and the way the Wii was brought into the consumers eyes in America has a lot to do with Reggie. So Reggie might seem useless, but I think he does a lot more then we all give him credit for.

I hear Reggie had a huge part in the commercials being so great of Punchout!!!. We can thank him for that.

Besides, the dude is awesome.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SlipperySlope said:
They should change that. Nintendo changed that at the last minute, and it made a huge difference.

Hopefully Sony copies that as well (;P) and adds it at the last minute. Boggles my mind why it aint there already tho. I mean, the Sub-controller is a substitute of the DS3, in that you can use the DS3 instead of it, and the DS3 does have motion capabilities. A developer might want to use those, but he couldn't since some might be using the Subcontroller instead.

I don't think pricing would be an issue either. It's an optional device and they can sell it with little consideration to mass adoption (contrary to the Move itself). I'd buy it even if it costs as much as a full DS3. Heck, I'd add rumble in it as well.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Skiesofwonder said:
Well, Nintendo did do a complete 180 right around the time Reggie joined. And I think the brilliant advertising and the way the Wii was brought into the consumers eyes in America has a lot to do with Reggie.

I liked how the "Wii would like to play" guys were delivering the Wii to homes like a Domino's Pizza guy would deliver food ;)

==Regarding the MOVE wand physical characteristics (Part 1 of X)

*) The wand is very light but does not feel flimsy
*) Feels exactly like my Tivo remote control except smaller. I have quite average male hand size so as you can see the MOVE is not very large
*) The glowing ball is soft hollow rubber which you can deform by pushing it and it pops back out
*) The subcontroller has the same remote control feeling but is even lighter.
*) The subcontroller has a hard to grasp feeling when you try to put your fingers on L1/L2 because you have to have "Monster Hunter Claws" to hold it tight when pushing in L1/L2

wandh.jpg

subrm.jpg

sub2i.jpg

Skiesofwonder said:
Well, Nintendo did do a complete 180 right around the time Reggie joined. And I think the brilliant advertising and the way the Wii was brought into the consumers eyes in America has a lot to do with Reggie. So Reggie might seem useless, but I think he does a lot more then we all give him credit for.

I hear Reggie had a huge part in the commercials being so great of Punchout!!!. We can thank him for that.

Besides, the dude is awesome.

He may be good at PR, but I'm talking more about the strategy and design stuff, I'm pretty sure he didn't have much to do with that. It's not that I dislike him, it's just that I don't care about the advertising side at all. I think that the character he plays is pretty carefully calculated for the american market's PR needs and I don't like that. Just like the J Allard transformation, I really dislike this stuff (but I think he's doing it pretty well). I actually liked Jack Tretton when he consistently said "consumers" and not "gamers" in an e3 conference, at least that was a bit more honest :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
sub2i.jpg

Interesting to see the Subcontroller has a wrist strap as well. Sensor-ready? :lol

UntoldDreams said:
*) The subcontroller has a hard to grasp feeling when you try to put your fingers on L1/L2 because you have to have "Monster Hunter Claws" to hold it tight when pushing in L1/L2

You mean when putting your fingers on both simultaneously?

How does the stick feel? Same as DS3?

Thanks for the pics. Looks er... sexy.

TTP said:
Interesting to see the Subcontroller has a wrist strap as well. Sensor-ready? :lol

You mean when putting your fingers on both simultaneously?

How does the stick feel? Same as DS3?

Thanks for the pics. Looks er... sexy.

Yes feels like the DS3 joystick. Yes putting a finger on L1 and L2 simultaneously is possible but you have to grip the subcontroller harder with your other fingers.

It was quite a nice looking little controller though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
UntoldDreams said:
Yes feels like the DS3 joystick. Yes putting a finger on L1 and L2 simultaneously is possible but you have to grip the subcontroller harder with your other fingers.

Yeah, I figured that. You need 3 fingers for proper grip. Not an issue for me since I use one finger to operate the shoulder buttons. Never got used to have two on those at anyone time.

UntoldDreams said:
It was quite a nice looking little controller though.

It is, yeah. :)

Just noticed that the O and X buttons on the sub controller look usable, that's 2 extra buttons, they may be good for 90 degree turns like in Lost Planet. I'd like to try that control scheme too, it was really fun with dual sticks.
Edit: except it's not 2 extra buttons idiot, they're on the main one also. They're the two main buttons for ok and cancel /o\

==Regarding the MOVE wand 1:1 positional motion evaluation (Part 2 of X)
(Part 3 is rotation)

VERDICT: 1:1 positional tracking works as advertised in all directions including depth. Its not a joke or exaggeration. Its real and its here. Software teams on this project obviously are new to this stuff and all software is in an alpha state and is less impressive than the hardware.

*) I first went to the debug data screens for motion input to evaluate raw data.
*) I also evaluated all the games and compared against the debug data screen
*) Its pretty evident from the debug screens that there isn't much lag in receiving data from the wands.

There WAS lag however from the augmented reality VIDEO showing me what I did a split second later. That type of lag is normal when a computer is digitizing your video and showing you what it sees a second later if you have played with video digitizer preview mode you know what I mean.

TO BE CLEAR: Augmented reality has video delay lag but the tracking never fell behind my movements.

I swung my arms around and the image of the paddle & bat in my hand stayed in sync.

*) You can see the debug data screens showing X,Y,Z positional information with latency around 22 milliseconds

*) I was able to cover the glowing ball completely hiding it from the camera. The system continued to function fine tracking my actions but error correction was not happening because of this. It slowly became out of sync and the position of the wand on the screen started to drift out of position with my hand. After uncovering the ball it snapped back into synchronization.

*) GAMING: I screwed around with the gladiator game.

Considering I just did the DEBUG Demo screens it was shocking to see that the on screen avatar was not 1:1 motion. We already know the positional data is fed to the system quickly so apparently the software dev teams aren't sure how to make a fighting game with 1:1 motion data input.

1st off this game is mostly gesture based for attacking. The blocking does allow some free movement to place your shield anywhere but it is definitely not keeping up with my jittery fighting motion. Basically it was clearly trying to make the on screen fighters animate and transition into fighting stances.

This game I felt was a poor way to evaluate motion controls because its the same thing as the old Arcade game "Gladiator" but in 3D.

Is the input laggy? I believe you can't tell jack from this game because the entire time the characters try to move into fighting stances which I certainly never did and the animation is slow compared to my jerky movement. I think the software devs are trying to figure out what to do here. If they really tracked motion 1:1 then the on screen avatar would look like a dork holding the shield too low all the time.

*) GAMING: Ping Pong FTW?

Ok this was a real test as far as I was concerned. For some reason 99.9% of the people only played that stupid gladiator game and NOT the ping pong. WTF? Ping pong is the best way to check the motion out.

Was it going to work? Short answer is yes (inputs basically worked) and no (software tuning needed badly).

The positional data was tracking my paddle decent enough but the floating paddle in space without a real 3D ping pong table took me awhile to get used to. Normally you play ping pong you can see the table in front of you and that helps A LOT with seeing the ball coming.

There was a very "distant" feeling because the table is so far away from you considering you stand like 8 feet away from the TV set and the table is a flat image on the screen.

After playing several rounds I got used to it and was able to play properly. At that point it became apparent the software was ALPHA state. Hitting the ball with the paddle felt like I was using a greasy block of ice and it wasn't really ping pong yet. (I was able to do forehand and backhand smashes though)

That being said it was an impressive ALPHA. I have high confidence someone is going to actually model ping pong physics and then get us a tuned game of this.

After viewing the 3D TV gaming demonstrations I COMPLETELY BELIEVE they will get us 3D ping pong it would be madness not to make us 3D ping pong.

data2.jpg

datam.jpg

64130038.jpg

calib1.jpg

gladiatorj.jpg

Man

Thanks for the detailed post. Keep them coming. :)
I'm pretty impressed with the PS Eye hover ability as well.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
calib1.jpg

Is that character on screen a still image or does it move according to what you do?

Why does it seem like he's wearing ear rings? :lol

About ping pong, the Wii Resort version has the camera placed even further away and yet I have zero issues with it. Perhaps it the height of it. In Wii Resort is very high while here it seems to be much closer to the ground/table. Hence making it difficult to properly judge distances?

cakefoo

Flachmatuch said:
Just noticed that the O and X buttons on the sub controller look usable, that's 2 extra buttons, they may be good for 90 degree turns like in Lost Planet. I'd like to try that control scheme too, it was really fun with dual sticks.
i'm guessing they're identical to O and X on the right remote, otherwise they'd have given them a different name, I'd think.

or they could bind turning to the dpad-- not referring to quick-180* turns, but rather you'd keep turning as you hold a direction, and stop when you release it. if i had that option i'd probably disable reticule turning entirely :) on second thought, that would mean i'd have to stop running to turn- so i'd make it so the bounding box took up the entire screen and that way i can still turn with the pointer when i'm in a rush to go somewhere, and turn with the dpad when i don't want to disrupt my aim.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
TTP said:
[*MG]http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/4551/calib1.jpg[/IMG]

Is that character on screen a still image or does it move according to what you do?

It moves according to what you do.

TTP said:

Why does it seem like he's wearing ear rings? :lol

About ping pong, the Wii Resort version has the camera placed even further away and yet I have zero issues with it. Perhaps it the height of it. In Wii Resort is very high while here it seems to be much closer to the ground/table. Hence making it difficult to properly judge distances?

On screen calibration and "hints" displayed during the gladiator game do NOT show what you are doing. They are basically telling you how to make the GESTURES needed by the game.

That is why gladiator is not 1:1. They have on screen guides telling you "Do this gesture to hit your enemy".

The ping pong just needs TUNING in the software to make it work better. The hardware is doing its job but the software isn't optimized and ready for us.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
UntoldDreams said:
On screen calibration and "hints" displayed during the gladiator game do NOT show what you are doing. They are basically telling you how to make the GESTURES needed by the game.

That is why gladiator is not 1:1. They have on screen guides telling you "Do this gesture to hit your enemy".

The ping pong just needs TUNING in the software to make it work better. The hardware is doing its job but the software isn't optimized and ready for us.

I think you may be right, I've just watched it again and it looks like he is just copying the calibration animation rather than it tracking you, a bit odd though why he would try to copy it so closely if it's not needed.

==Regarding the MOVE wand 1:1 rotational POINTING evaluation (Part 3 of X)
(Part 4 is 3DTV gaming)

VERDICT: Rotation is tracked and accurate I never noticed a hitch. Pointing I believe will be ok in the end however the software being displayed was obviously untuned. Most certainly calibration to TV and software finesse to smooth out is needed. I am convinced it will work fine but the testing I performed had the following results which led to this conclusion.

*) The rotation never screwed up from what I could see in all cases. It was always spot on to what I was doing in all cases.
*) I evaluated the pointing on only two things because SOCOM was not up for display today
*) The menu system for the gladiator/ping pong game had a pointer
*) The Debug Demo with all the on screen data had a pointer test calibration

The menu system for the gladiator game had a small green light cursor. It was not calibrated to the center of the TV and it basically felt slushy like I was pointing underwater.

The reason this felt this way is because they have a crappy non optimized algorithm to read rotational data. I can explain what it was due to the debug data screens showing the reality of the data input.

Unfortunately, I don't have a screen shot of the debug screen calibration from the demo but if you look at the test screen below and see the large letter X? That's the size of the calibration target you point at with the MOVE controller.

The data coming in is VERY TELLING. The debug screen pointer received raw data and drew a tiny white cursor on screen and it was jittery as all hell in a tight circle. It was bouncing around left right up down all the time about the size of my thumbnail on screen.

IMPORTANT HISTORICAL NOTE: REAL Light Gun games used to do this.
I programmed a light gun game before many years ago for the 3DO with about this much accuracy so I was not surprised.

How you are REALLY supposed to make light guns work in the original light gun games was that you compensated. You take data input and average out a lot of data into one center point. 20 jittery points average out into 1 perfect center point for the cursor is the basic idea.

HOWEVER! If you are lazy you will simply absorb a full half second of "scattershot" rotational data and put the cursor in the center of that average data. This would work in that it would always end up pointing in the right position... but if you do it this way the cursor ends up laggy as hell and moves like its on roller skates in a parking lot filled with slushy snow & ice.

A better algorithm would be to make a temporal calculation ring buffer which constantly adds one new data point and removes one old data point. You try to make the buffer bigger or smaller depending on how fast the pointer is moving dynamically calibrating the size as needed.

That type of tuning can turn a JITTERY INPUT into a smooth pointing mechanism.

Think of this algorithm like MOUSE CURSOR acceleration. The faster you move the mouse the more acceleration is given. The slower you move the mouse the slower the acceleration is provided.

This same algorithm is needed for MOVE rotational pointing. Maybe SOCOM has it?

From what I can see of the raw data into the demo is about as accurate as real light guns were except its doing it in HD 1080p resolution now instead of 320x240.

Once the devs start making TUNED pointer algorithms it should work FINE.
It absolutely WILL WORK FINE.

pointing.jpg

datam.jpg

cakefoo

UntoldDreams said:
*) I was able to cover the glowing ball completely hiding it from the camera. The system continued to function fine tracking my actions but error correction was not happening because of this. It slowly became out of sync and the position of the wand on the screen started to drift out of position with my hand. After uncovering the ball it snapped back into synchronization.
i knew this was going to be better than m+ because of the camera being able to calibrate on the fly. what i want to know though is why am i sometimes reading about calibration? the only thing i can think of the controller not having the absolute precision for is yaw, but then it has a compass inside detecting north and south to stay calibrated, doesn't it?

from the digital foundry article:

Sports Champions required a two-point calibration each and every time an event was chosen. It felt overly intrusive and I was keen to tackle the team on this issue.

"There are different kinds of calibration," Anton Mikhailov responds. "There's system-level calibration. That's what defines the user environment and checks the lighting. It does general sphere calibration and image calibration etc. The thing you were seeing for sports games is actually calibrating to your body size.

"That's game-specific. If you have long arms, we really want to make sure the body looks correct. For that game in particular, they're trying to do a very accurate sports simulation, so when you're serving or swinging, everything works right."

what i'd like to know is if the controller position/orientation ever need to be calibrated in the middle of a game? it's been my belief that the camera, like proven in your cover-the-ball example, is the magical insurance against needing to ever calibrate, but are there instances where the camera can't do it all?

edit: i should read your post first

cakefoo

are the triggers/buttons analog? i know at least the right trigger is, because they were controlling the brush sizes with it.

do the X and O on the subcontroller function identically to the ones on the main remote?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Those are some nice impressions UD. Well done.

Unfortunately, I don't have a screen shot of the debug screen calibration from the demo but if you look at the test screen below and see the large letter X? That's the size of the calibration target you point at with the MOVE controller.

The data coming in is VERY TELLING. The debug screen pointer received raw data and drew a tiny white cursor on screen and it was jittery as all hell in a tight circle. It was bouncing around left right up down all the time about the size of my thumbnail on screen.

Oh, you can see this in the video I posted in the previous page.

Edit - here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoEv3KZgLHM&feature=related (starts @ 5:30)

==Regarding 3DTV (Part 4 of 4)

VERDICT: Unless you are being a crabby stubborn whiner and hate technology there is simply no way to NOT like this technology. I played Baseball in 3D that was OK since it helped me feel like being a batter was much more fun. BUT... Super Stardust HD in 3D however was AMAZING. Just AMAZING.

The way it worked was so realistic depth wise that I am sold. I want one as soon as possible.
Maybe I will have to work a second job to afford a 3DTV (Thanks Kuturagi).

The effect was amazing in Super Stardust because the world is ROUND. Its a sphere going into the screen not a 2D pop up book. It really was 3D fully and truly 3D.

It blew me away it was better than IMAX 3D by light years.

After seeing this it immediately struck me that the 3D ping pong will be done by someone somewhere without doubt. Ideally with facetracking and popping the table OUT of the screen rather than into the screen to make holographic 3D ping pong.
:D

The future is here my friends. What I saw today with Move and 3DTV when combined brings us one step closer to Star Trek Holodecks.

I don't know if MOVE will end up a niche product but when they combine 3DTV and MOVE its going to blow most people away on how cool this stuff is.

superstardust3.jpg

superstardust2.jpg

superstardust1.jpg

Top Bottom