• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: New Xbox 360 Model Slims Down + Technology confuses Kotaku

UPDATE: Kotaku removed the Intel/Clarkdale mistake in an updated article. Original OP below.

-------------------------

http://kotaku.com/5495181/rumor-new-xbox-360-model-slims-down

1268648370960.jpg

And here's where they get it wrong:

Now, before we go any further, know the image up top comes from a Chinese messageboard. Yeah. The reason we're looking a little more closely at this than we normally would is that Intel is currently in the process of rolling out consumer-level combined CPU/GPU chips. Like, right now. And Intel handle the Xbox 360's chipset.

These new chips are codenamed Clarkdale, and are 32nm, which would present a significant reduction in both power usage and in the amount of heat generated by the console. On the left here is what they look like underneath, while above, that's it with the small Xbox 360 stamp on it (to the left of the fan).

Clarkdale is a PC processor combining a dual-core Nehalem derivative with Intel integrated graphics. It has absolutely fuck all to do with the 360.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
intel doesn't have anything to do with 360. They were only on the original xbox. twits :p

They are likely confusing it with Valhalla... which is 65nm with further reduction to 45nm? iirc

Pooya

Kotaku is completely wrong, but what's that pic? that looks like a 360 board to me, with CPU/GPU combined? is the pic legit?

silverbullet1080 said:
I still don't get why Kotaku isn't banned yet.
People would just post stuff like K****u or something similar anyway, like they did with "stop nintendo". If its going to be banned, then referencing it in any way other than negative shouldn't be allowed. They really should be at this point though, I think we can all agree that it has been earned.

miladesn said:
Kotaku is completely wrong, but what's that pic? that looks like a 360 board to me, with CPU/GPU combined? is the pic legit?

It's from some Chinese message board, it's linked in the article.

Pooya

Zombie James said:
It's from some Chinese message board, it's linked in the article.
with a closer look, that pic looks legit to me, I think 360 slim is coming...
it's square shaped too like PS3 slim, there are no holes in the board for DVD drive legs.
There are 2 SATA connector o the board compared to one in the current 360 boards. HANA chips is there. looks like they removed one of the memory unit ports. the black/grey box/port in the middle back, Is that a Toslink/optical out port?
2 SATA connectors hmm, one for DVD and one for HDD probably, they've changed the HDD connector.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well if they come out with a model with a significant cut in RROD I'll bite for another J360 so I'll have my CaveBox360 running for a good long time. I'll wait a while and get some numbers first of course.
Wondering if it will have a similar front though since I want my LE EspGaluda II faceplate sitting on it.

adelante

miladesn said:
...looks like they removed one of the memory unit ports.
If you're refering to the I/O at the bottom right, looks more like two USB ports aligned horizontally to me...maybe they've decided to do away with memory cards altogether and have an internal hdd (wrt to the extra SATA port)

fernoca

Well, maybe the codename is Clarkdale..I mean..is a codename..they can cal lit whatever they want. :p

Not saying that Kotaku is right, but hey..is a rumor..if it was called ..I don't know..'Amadeus' ..people would be all "OMG confirmed!!!".. ;p

golem

fernoca said:
Well, maybe the codename is Clarkdale..I mean..is a codename..they can cal lit whatever they want. :p

Not saying that Kotaku is right, but hey..is a rumor..if it was called ..I don't know..'Amadeus' ..people would be all "OMG confirmed!!!".. ;p
Supposedly its called Valhalla

DarkJC

adelante said:
If you're refering to the I/O at the bottom right, looks more like two USB ports aligned horizontally to me...maybe they've decided to do away with memory cards altogether and have an internal hdd (wrt to the extra SATA port)

No way they'd do away with memory cards, they're pretty much required for moving your profile around between consoles.

edit:

fernoca said:

Read the text that isn't bolded. They're talking about the upcoming Intel chips codenamed Clarkdale, not whatever the slim 360 is codenamed.

Pooya

adelante said:
I can't tell really, the one on the right looks like a memory unit port to me, the one on the left of it is USB port I think, we need a bigger pic. I agree, I think HDD is internal.
wonder where the air vent is going to be, on right or in the back, right side makes more sense to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mojo said:
Legit IMO. Released with Natal? Wonder if they'll show it at E3
I imagine they'll show it as close to when they're going to launch it as possible.

Doing otherwise isn't very conducive to sales.

fernoca

DarkJC said:
Read the text that isn't bolded. They're talking about the upcoming Intel chips codenamed Clarkdale, not whatever the slim 360 is codenamed.
I read everything..and I know thay are mixing the two things..but still.. :p

Is the same thing as always "VGCats sucks...so here's their latest comic".."Ban Kotaku..but here's their latest news"..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
fernoca said:
Is the same thing as always "VGCats sucks...so here's their latest comic"

Everybody knows the VGCats threads are created solely as an excuse to post Nedroid.

Pooya

SuperÑ said:
The front USB ports are horizontal now instead of vertical, just like in the PS3. Totally legit.
I think the console will sit horizontally only, with the air vent in the right side, and yes USB ports are horizontal too.
about metal boxes in the back, the two on the left are new (just look at the jasper board), I have no idea what they can be. in the current boards, one contains the A/V and HDMI ports and the other contains LAN and a USB ports. wonder what they've added.

With all the crap that's leaked out of the Chinese manufacturers this generation, months ahead of the official reveals (PSP Slim and 3000, PS3 slim), and looking at the board, I'm 75% sure that's a Vahalla board. We know its coming.

Looks like Microsoft is going for a decrease in the width of the new system. What do you think, maybe more squarish, slightly less depth (just enough to eliminate the extra plastic just anterior to the hard drive housing), and the same height (to allow continued use of the current hard drive)?

DopeyFish said:
i'm curious... where's the hard drive connector?
I'd imagine we're all expecting an internal hdd to go along with the more compact packaging.

Zombie James said:
Would it be too early for me to start dreaming about custom hsf upgrades? You can never be too cold or quiet...

miladesn said:
I think the console will sit horizontally only, with the air vent in the right side, and yes USB ports are horizontal too.
about metal boxes in the back, the two on the left are new (just look at the jasper board), I have no idea what they can be. in the current boards, one contains the A/V and HDMI ports and the other contains LAN and a USB ports. wonder what they've added.

Optical port built in, maybe? Save that stupid connector thing for using hdmi +optical.

UraMallas

That's one fake mother. I know because of the integrated circuits and from having seen a lot of naked mothers in my time.

Pooya

Mutanthands said:
Looks like Microsoft is going for a decrease in the width of the new system. What do you think, maybe more squarish, slightly less depth (just enough to eliminate the extra plastic just anterior to the hard drive housing), and the same height (to allow continued use of the current hard drive)?
they've removed the HDD connector and added a new SATA port. the current HDD port is basically a SATA port and power port combined.now that I'm thinking there is no space in there for a internal HDD. have no idea what they want to do.
and looks like there is going to be an external power brick still.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
SuperÑ said:
As you can see, there are 2 SATA ports, one for the hard drive and another for the DVD drive.

And that's where they would go. Def

This is quite possibly real.

Look at the video plug shit and power input to the right.

On the left, the back USB connector or two and off to the right the RJ-45 inputs.

adelante

miladesn said:
I can't tell really, the one on the right looks like a memory unit port to me, the one on the left of it is USB port I think, we need a bigger pic. I agree, I think HDD is internal.
wonder where the air vent is going to be, on right or in the back, right side makes more sense to me.
That squarish thing on the left seems to be carried over from the Jasper design, so that kinda rules it being a USB port out. Maybe there's only one memory card slot now and that it sits below the horizontal USB conmectors

Pooya

SuperÑ said:
As you can see, there are 2 SATA ports, one for the hard drive and another for the DVD drive.
yes, that means current HDDs are obsolete.
That squarish thing on the left seems to be carried over from the Jasper design, so that kinda rules it being a USB port out. Maybe there's only one memory card slot now and that it sits below the horizontal USB conmectors
yep, you're right.

Top Bottom