• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan |OT| Heroes in a Bargain Bin

TheOGB

Banned
That's a damn good OT you got there. I'll definitely pick this up sometime this week even if I don't get to it due to Overwatch

Whizkid7

I both love you and hate you for that OT. YOU HAD TO REMIND ME OF THAT ISSUE, DIDN'T YOU, YOU MONSTER?!

*ahem* I dunno if I'm gonna pick this up right away but I do want to grab it since Turtles + Platinum = hnnnnnngh to me.

UncleMeat

OT is glorious.

$39 from Amazon so I'm not sweating it but would be nice if it was a little longer. Transformers:D was also really short especially if you don't include all the time you spend messing with weapon upgrades and I still love it. As long as it delivers fun platinum gameplay I'll be happy; online coop could be fun too. I'm thinking the music is going to be the biggest letdown coming from the shred-tastic transformers soundtrack.

As probably one of the minority of platinum fans who enjoyed Korra, I'm sure I'll probably enjoy this. If it's at least on the level of Transformers Devastation, I'd be greatly pleased. That game is super fun.

That being said, I only paid $16 for my copy of the game and I'm still a little nervous on how there's been like...no word on it...

Fantastic OT.

Doing the tutorial now. WAS NOT EXPECTING 30 FPS ON PS4. Shocked, confused and disapppinted.

Wow, that's a shocker. I'm guessing due to having 4 playable characters or something?

Is it higher on PC? If the difference is major enough to deter a player, I might just return and buy a steam key or something.

Amazing OT!!! Not sure if I'm the only one with this problem but xbox one version first wouldn't sync and now just won't start, keep saying something went wrong wtf!?

edit:

moved it to external storage now and it seems to work but still won't sync :(

edit2:

it looks like there is something wrong with xbox live, social and gaming affected, I''m going to bed, so much from waiting.

Just got my PS4, playing through the tutorial. Can confirm it's 30FPS. Huge disappointment. It's still responsive enough but, y'know, a 30FPS action game from Platinum?

Combat is just like Korra, with musou style combos; you press Square as many times as you feel like, then Triangle for a finisher. Square Square Square Triangle is a launcher, Square x4 Triangle is a charge forward thing, etc. A perfectly timed dodge has you scoot around behind an enemy, rather than activating Witch Time. An interesting new mechanic is that you can hold the dodge button to spin around inside your shell, and if you release with perfect timing you'll parry the enemy. It seems like a nice twist on Platinum's usual mechanics. You can't spin forever, though; it's the same thing Bayonetta has where you can't dodge five times in a row.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and play through it, at least.

Slixshot

Banned
Just got my PS4, playing through the tutorial. Can confirm it's 30FPS. Huge disappointment. It's still responsive enough but, y'know, a 30FPS action game from Platinum?

Combat is just like Korra, with musou style combos; you press Square as many times as you feel like, then Triangle for a finisher. Square Square Square Triangle is a launcher, Square x4 Triangle is a charge forward thing, etc. A perfectly timed dodge has you scoot around behind an enemy, rather than activating Witch Time. An interesting new mechanic is that you can hold the dodge button to spin around inside your shell, and if you release with perfect timing you'll parry the enemy. It seems like a nice twist on Platinum's usual mechanics. You can't spin forever, though; it's the same thing Bayonetta has where you can't dodge five times in a row.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and play through it, at least.

How does a game like that run at 30...? It's far from a looker!

How does a game like that run at 30...? It's far from a looker!

I can only assume it's because the four turtles are on screen at all times. The best you can do is tell them to 'Wait', but they'll still fight alongside you; I've tried to find a way to just play as a single turtle but it doesn't seem to be possible. It's messy. You'll be trying to combo a dude and the other guys will come in and screw things up.

Dodge Offset is in, though now with the meter that governs how long you can dodge it seems like you can only get three dodges in before you trigger the dizzy animation.

EDIT - At 30FPS you'd think they could have turned on a little anti-aliasing :p

Just fought Bebop, and that really wasn't fun. It feels more like an MMO than an action game. There's no back and forth that you'd expect from a Platinum bossfight, dodging attacks and getting hits in when you've got an opening. You kind of just wail away at him in this inscrutable melee of four turtles all attacking at once and soundbytes playing over eachother, and the boss does his own thing and attacks whenever he feels like it. Meanwhile you've got special attacks on cooldown timers that feel like the only way to do any significant damage, since plugging away with Square and Triangle combos doesn't really do a whole lot.

Bebop fires this laser gun around with no discernible pattern, and it just fucks you up on Normal difficulty. You don't have much health and I didn't feel like I could reliably dodge the attack, so I ended up hanging back waiting for my healing power's cooldown timer to finish.

EDIT - FUCK, the guys who throw bolos that tie you up are back from Korra.

Just fought Bebop, and that really wasn't fun. It feels more like an MMO than an action game. There's no back and forth that you'd expect from a Platinum bossfight, dodging attacks and getting hits in when you've got an opening. You kind of just wail away at him in this inscrutable melee of four turtles all attacking at once and soundbytes playing over eachother, and the boss does his own thing and attacks whenever he feels like it. Meanwhile you've got special attacks on cooldown timers that feel like the only way to do any significant damage, since plugging away with Square and Triangle combos doesn't really do a whole lot.

Bebop fires this laser gun around with no discernible pattern, and it just fucks you up on Normal difficulty. You don't have much health and I didn't feel like I could reliably dodge the attack, so I ended up hanging back waiting for my healing power's cooldown timer to finish.

Typical Platinum game. I guess Easy it is.

I somehow managed to beat Vanquish on hard, though.

orbabsorb

Neo Member
I'm confused here, guys.

Pre-ordered it on PSN and it's not yet available for pre-loading.
It's a worldwide release on May 24th but it appears the game will be available on 26th in Europe.

Does anybody here has an explanation for this mess please? Thanks!

I must admit that I'm a bit frustrated and annoyed. It's the last time that I'll pre-order games on PSN. Same bullshit happened to me with Bloodborne.

Battle music is insanely repetitive. It's like a ten second loop of generic buttrock. Revengeance this ain't.

btw, right now I'm defending a pizza stand from infinitely spawning enemies for three minutes.

Search for enemy, find money bags and deliver them to safety, maybe it's time to check the items, search for enemy, hey check out your new items. Dear god I hope the entire game isn't like that cause otherwise I just wasted $50.

It still sounds better than Masquerade: Baubles of Doom, the last similar-style game I played. You had to destroy outhouses that spawned clowns while dealing with a shitload of them. It fucking sucked.

OK, there's more to this than I thought. Rocksteady (second boss) does those random laser fire patterns, too, and I think you're supposed to hold the dodge button (to spin around in your shell) to avoid them. You can move around while spinning, so it's a free opportunity to get into a better position.

There's also some fun in learning to parry properly. It seems like you can do it to pretty much any enemy, though the timing is tricky because you need to kind of 'charge' the parry by holding dodge for a moment and releasing at just the right time. Hitting a perfect dodge will make you automatically scoot around behind the enemy, and if you hit Circle quickly enough you can jump onto their shoulders and clobber their heads for a while.

Mission design seems awful so far, though. You do a certain number of busywork tasks, then you fight a boss. Last mission I had to defend a pizza stand for three minutes, then hack a bunch of terminals (which consisted of me holding the Circle button on a thing for 26 seconds, three times. I counted). I really can't see myself ever wanting to replay the missions because they just aren't enjoyable, so if the game is really only a few hours long that'll be a killer.

cheesekao

I'm confused here, guys.

Pre-ordered it on PSN and it's not yet available for pre-loading.
It's a worldwide release on May 24th but it appears the game will be available on 26th in Europe.

Does anybody here has an explanation for this mess please? Thanks!

I must admit that I'm a bit frustrated and annoyed. It's the last time that I'll pre-order games on PSN. Same bullshit happened to me with Bloodborne.
As a European, you should have realized by now that games sometimes get Friday releases over there.

Sanjuro

writing was on the wall once Eiro Shirahama was revealed to be director.

Nah. It was when they announced a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game.

Again, based on what I played it was fun considering you are playing with another human being. Boss battles are fine, however hectic to control on your own.

Top Bottom