• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sammy Samusu said:
Animal Crossing 3DS with spherical world.

I called, launch game, do it!

That would make for an interesting online interface. A combination of Animal Crossing and Super Mario Galaxy where you cultivate your own planet. Your close friends can all be located in the same star system with others having their own systems that you can travel to.

d+pad

If they don't do something new with whatever Animal Crossing sequel that's sure to be released for 3DS, I'm going to hurt someone. Bad.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A new Power VR chip set is out in a new Samsung phone and that bitch pushes 4 times the polys of a Snapdragon Phone. They are talking 90 million polys per second.

Power VR chips are also what currently power the iphone so expect some sort of setup like this in the next iphone. To compare the current iphone 3GS pushes about 28 million polys per second.

I bring this up cause it gives people a ballpark figure of just what mobile devices are pushing poly wise these days. Infer from this what you will about 3DS and PSP2 hardware in terms of power.

Doorman

Fourth Storm said:
That's would make for an interesting online interface. A combination of Animal Crossing and Super Mario Galaxy where you cultivate your own planet. Your close friends can all be located in the same star system with others having their own systems that you can travel to.
This idea sounds so good and interesting that I'm actually positive that Nintendo will not do it. "Now you can explore the city with people on your friends list!" sounds like their more likely 'advancement,' though I know that's overly-cynical of me.

Funny how people listing games that would show off what the 3DS can do, the ones that have interested me the most weirdly start resembling the launch of the N64 to me. A new Mario, PilotWings, and Wave Race, huh...?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
readermockup_012404_4.jpg

Snakeyes

Brettison said:
A new Power VR chip set is out in a new Samsung phone and that bitch pushes 4 times the polys of a Snapdragon Phone. They are talking 90 million polys per second.

Power VR chips are also what currently power the iphone so expect some sort of setup like this in the next iphone. To compare the current iphone 3GS pushes about 28 million polys per second.

I bring this up cause it gives people a ballpark figure of just what mobile devices are pushing poly wise these days. Infer from this what you will about 3DS and PSP2 hardware in terms of power.

That's why I don't understand people who think that a portable more powerful than a Wii is unrealistic.

Doorman said:
This idea sounds so good and interesting that I'm actually positive that Nintendo will not do it. "Now you can explore the city with people on your friends list!" sounds like their more likely 'advancement,' though I know that's overly-cynical of me.

Funny how people listing games that would show off what the 3DS can do, the ones that have interested me the most weirdly start resembling the launch of the N64 to me. A new Mario, PilotWings, and Wave Race, huh...?
It would be an outstanding addition, but you are right, nintendo can make some oddball decisions at time. Hopefully they see a need to give us a real animal crossing sequel, and not just give us animal crossing in 3D. The Animal Planet idea would be pretty nice.

Ultimatum

Banned
optimiss said:
updated my mockup a bit to include the 3d control pad and the leg humping curve of the system. :D

pqc8n.png
xggns8.jpg

hope you don't mind me changing your work D: in terms of aesthetics, it just looks so damn nice.

Anyway, with this version, it can be rotated 90 degrees cw for using both displays as one. Also, I think this arrangement of buttons would be much comfier, it's just a little inconvenient for left handed players.

Doorman said:
I'm with Vinci on the second analog stick stuff. There have only been a few instances where it felt genuinely necessary for a gameplay experience, and there will be enough ways to work around that. It would only be absolutely needed if Nintendo is still majorly concerned with having a "lefty option"
Well, that has been something taken into account for their last two systems.

Worth noting it was also taken into account for their least successful system. Predating dual analogs (or single analogs), VB had the dual d-pad, with Select/Start mirroring A/B. Also one trigger button on each side, not visible here.
vb.jpg

AceBandage said:
I've never actually had to cross my eyes to see them.
Just kind of unfocus.
Earl Cazone said:
i have probles with the ones requiring crossing eyes. i can see the magic eye things, but not the 3d pictures that some made. whenever i try to cross my eyes i look at my nose. i just can do this unfocus stuff. how do i cross them right. when i look at my finger, they uncross after i take it away
Crossing eyes and unfocusing eyes (parallel viewing) are kind of reverse methods from each other. So an image made for one can be viewed using either method, HOWEVER if you use the opposite method the depth information will be reversed so it could end up looking really weird if it's more complex than a simple shape.
Why would you do that? said:
I don't know... Somehow I think that there will only be one big screen.
Why would you do that?
AceBandage said:
Lefties already had to learn how to use controllers have have buttons on the right and D-Pad on the left decades ago.
Wouldn't unlearning that be even harder?
Probably, but Nintendo is also trying to sell to lefties who weren't playing games twenty years ago.

swerve said:
THIS. In 3D please.

Zelda3-37.gif

Thanks!
If you can provide the individual layers or a save state, sure. Just modifying one image is going to be more difficult.

With many emulators you can turn on/off the individual image layers, and then take screens of them solo. It's by then making two slightly different combinations of these layers that we can create a left eye and right eye image.

I don't have the images I did years ago due to hard drive failure eating tons of my old stuff, but I had a Link to the Past example that I really liked. Since I was just using stuff from early in the game, I thought it was neat to have the rain appear slightly closer than Link and the ground.

Ultimatum said:
xggns8.jpg

hope you don't mind me changing your work D: in terms of aesthetics, it just looks so damn nice.

Anyway, with this version, it can be rotated 90 degrees cw for using both displays as one. Also, I think this arrangement of buttons would be much comfier, it's just a little inconvenient for left handed players.

Well at least the stick wouldn't get in the way for the lefties like the D-Pad would for right righties!

Snakeyes said:
That's why I don't understand people who think that a portable more powerful than a Wii is unrealistic.

That phone is likely to retail for $400 or over without a service contract and Nintendo is not one to take losses on their hardware.

Someone said it best a long time ago in a "Nintendo Revolution" thread. Small, cheap, and powerful. Pick two, because you can't have all three.

I think it will be a potent system, but 90 million triangles is hoping for a bit too much.

ntropy

having read this entire thread from start to finish, i'm surprised there's not a list of "idle" Nintendo studios possibly working on 3DS games.

Blizrad

Neo Member
Looks very interesting when it's a real next gen console. Nintendo did always say they wanted to produce a small and green console. I'm really looking forward to E3 now!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Fourth Storm said:
That phone is likely to retail for $400 or over without a service contract and Nintendo is not one to take losses on their hardware.

Someone said it best a long time ago in a "Nintendo Revolution" thread. Small, cheap, and powerful. Pick two, because you can't have all three.

I think it will be a potent system, but 90 million triangles is hoping for a bit too much.

No, but it shows that even if we got say only 1/2 or 2/3rds the power of that we'd still be getting a rock'n system. I'm not saying it's gonna be cube like in power, but don't expect it to just a bump up to PSP like graphics. Both successors should have an easy time besting the current PSP power because handheld chips have just grown leaps and bounds over the past 5 years or so. So much so that even if you go with a more budgety like chip you're still gonna get crazy power.

Doorman

Ultimatum said:

That's a good design workaround for the dual-handed options, but I still just have an extremely hard time expecting that Nintendo would opt for dual analog for this system. Not when dual analog controllers are still being viewed as one of the reasons why the non-gaming public has been intimidated into staying away from the medium. The DS and Wii were designed to start moving away from what several of these mock-ups are doing. It'd be like finally pulling your leg out of a bear trap only to step on it again five minutes later.

ntropy said:
having read this entire thread from start to finish, i'm surprised there's not a list of "idle" Nintendo studios possibly working on 3DS games.
*insert obligatory Retro Studios speculation here*

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
HAL_Laboratory said:
Mockup #3:

I do like this, I think the aspect ratio works well. Also like the colour contrast.

I am still going with the idea of a single hybrid d-pad/3D stick

Edit: and you got rid of those obnoxious multiple LED indicators. Replaced with a subtle white LED. Well done sir.

Vinci

Danish
HAL_Laboratory said:
Mockup #3:

3DS_mockup3b_ryancooper2010.jpg

See, this? MUCH BETTER. Simple, sleek. I like the contrast of the dark gray with the white. [Sort of reminds me of a NES controller actually.]

Well done, my friend.

Also: Odds are, if there is an analog stick, there will be one.

Doorman

HAL_Laboratory said:
Mockup #3:
Oooh, very nice, you really cleaned up the design compared to the previous mocks. This sort of looks like the 'lite' version of the ones you did before. :lol

I really dig the contrast between the navy and white coloring, but do you think you could do a version where those two colors are inverted? I think it would look a little nicer to have a dark-colored gap between the screens rather than a bright white one.

Vinci

Danish
Game Analyst said:
Gaf,

Does the 3DS use the same tech as the Fuji 3D Camera?

Um... maybe? I don't think anything's been confirmed.

Holy shit. I wonder if he accidentally let something slip.

Yeah I'm kinda pissed about Kotaku just ripping our designs and posting them for the public without noting any credits (or asking permission). Pretty shitty.

Game Analyst said:
Gaf,

Does the 3DS use the same tech as the Fuji 3D Camera?

Very few (if any) people outside Nintendo or their LCD suppliers know for sure, and Perry probably shouldn't be talking as though parallax barrier tech has been confirmed, but that's the assumption, yes.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Maybe we are thinking a bit too conventionally about controls here. Here's a stupid idea that might just work ...

Place the analogues on the *underside* of the device.

That way, if you're holding it, you could play them with your middle finger underneath the machine. Or if it is resting on a table or book, they'll double as those little rubber feet, and you shift the device itself to do analogue movement.

Probably crap, but it might lead somewhere.

Chaplain

Father_Brain said:
Very few (if any) people outside Nintendo or their LCD suppliers know for sure, and Perry probably shouldn't be talking as though parallax barrier tech has been confirmed, but that's the assumption, yes.

If it is the Fuji 3D camera tech, what can we expect in terms of 3D quality?

curls

Game Analyst said:
If it is the Fuji 3D camera tech, what can we expect in terms of 3D quality?

Heres the specs:

LCD monitor

2.8-inch, Approx. 230,000 dots color LCD monitor with Light Direction Control, Approx. 100% coverage

Movie recording

640 x 480 pixels / 320 x 240 pixels (30 frames/sec.) with stereo sound * Zoom function cannot be used during movie recording.

Photography functions

3D: Auto parallax control, Power management, Framing guideline, Frame No. memory
2D: Face Detection (with Red-eye removal), Power management, Framing guideline, Frame No. memory

Playback functions

3D: Parallax adjustment, Multi-frame playback (with Micro Thumbnail), Cropping, Resize, Sorting by date, Slideshow

Doorman

phisheep said:
Maybe we are thinking a bit too conventionally about controls here. Here's a stupid idea that might just work ...

Place the analogues on the *underside* of the device.

That way, if you're holding it, you could play them with your middle finger underneath the machine. Or if it is resting on a table or book, they'll double as those little rubber feet, and you shift the device itself to do analogue movement.

Probably crap, but it might lead somewhere.
Not to beat a dead horse, but simplicity. I don't think even most gamers would want to try learning to control an analog nub with their middle finger, let alone watching a casual player try and fumble with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom