• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 2016 Press Conference: June 13th at 9:30 AM PDT / 12:30 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once I see some gameplay of it I can get excited for the game. If its as good as Metroid Prime then we have a masterpiece on our hands. I hope we get to find out more about the development of the game as well.

Shinobi said some nice things about it. Im sure someone quoted him on it already. :p

Yep, a "right now" beta for Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, or even Titanfall 2 would be amazing.

Add Halo Wars 2 to that list.

Damn. Just imagine:

"But for the thousands of you watching at home, we wanted to do something special. Nearly every demo shown tonight will be playable for everyone, after the conference is over. We want to share the amazing work the teams at Xbox are doing not just with those here, but with the entire world." - Phil Spencer

Damn. Just imagine:

"But for the thousands of you watching at home, we wanted to do something special. Nearly every demo shown tonight will be playable for everyone, after the conference is over. We want to share the amazing work the teams at Xbox are doing not just with those here, but with the entire world." - Phil Spencer

I'd go nuts.

Damn. Just imagine:

Ahh maybe a bad idea. GAF goes berserk over unfinished games as is. This forum will tear games that have technical issues to shreds. E3 demos are not really good examples of the final product.

Xumbrega

Banned
I want so bad a Perfect Dark reboot.

Third person and stealth focused, Project Shangeist inspired.

That would blow my mind, but I know it ain't happening.

FordGTGuy

Banned
x2yO1RS.jpg

This train... this train needs passengers.

ekim

I just want to reiterate my hype for FH3.... this is going to be soooo good.
What did you guys miss in FH2 that you hope for in FH3? :)

FH3?

I would like a much more structured and varied career. The previous game was far too repetitive.

But mostly the tracks. I want them much more fine tuned and 'tight'. Basically I wan't them to incorparate both PGR and RSC into Forza Horizon.

Also I want the water physics brought over from F6. Only now done in real time.

edit - Plus a PC release, but that's almost a certainty anyways.

daTRUballin

Perfect Dark reborn as a cheesy Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory would be AMAZING

I always see people saying they want Perfect Dark to return as a third person shooter or something completely different than the original. Why? I don't really get this. PD was an FPS franchise. It should stay an FPS franchise. Why would anybody want it to be anything else?

You guys are just asking for another BK: Nuts & Bolts situation. Don't give Microsoft and Rare any ideas. We know Rare's franchises have been mistreated ever since the MS purchase. Except for Killer Instinct. That turned out fine surprisingly.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Battletoads will be announced at E3 and will turn out to be something completely different than what fans have been asking for. That seems to be a trend with most of Rare's franchises.

ekim

FH3?

I would like a much more structured and varied career. The previous game was far too repetitive.

But mostly the tracks. I want them much more fine tuned and 'tight'. Basically I wan't them to incorparate both PGR and RSC into Forza Horizon.

Also I want the water physics brought over from F6. Only now done in real time.

I agree. While I really liked the setting of FH2 (which was more coherent), I disliked the structure of the career.

I think we both can look forward to Monday and will be very happy after the conference. :)

FordGTGuy

Banned

Actual race cars....

Though I know licensing race cars probably only allows them on race tracks in games.

Also a large city, I want Midtown Madness 3 size city to fool around in.

Really hope Melbourne and Sydney are in it. Will be surreal seeing my home cities represented in a video game.

While we're known mostly for our outback and wildlife, we have some amazingly slick and sprawling cities. I hope they don't neglect this side of Australia.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Really hope Melbourne and Sydney are in it. Will be surreal seeing my home cities represented in a video game.

Do you think they'll go for an island style to simulate all of Australia?

I wouldn't mind a giant straight through the center desert.

I hope we see some sand/dirt/mud physics going on too with deformation and maybe even rock climbing.

SOR5

I always see people saying they want Perfect Dark to return as a third person shooter or something completely different than the original. Why? I don't really get this. PD was an FPS franchise. It should stay as an FPS franchise. Why would anybody want it to be anything else?

You guys are just asking for another BK: Nuts & Bolts situation. Don't give Microsoft and Rare any ideas. We know Rare's franchises have been mistreated ever since the MS purchase. Except for Killer Instinct. That turned out fine surprisingly.

It would be nice as a FPS as well! It's just, where do you go? You can take KI and polish the formula and it's aged beautifully, you could also have a really really polished PD but hasnt most of that been accomplished in the overly saturated shooter market?

and theres the fact Perfect Dark/Goldeneye just hasnt aged well, this might just be my opinion but I think its quite a commonly shared sentiment. No matter what I think they'd either have to drastically recreate how it works mechanically as a shooter, or do a brand new genre twist

which wouldnt be that offensive! The only reason Nuts and Bolts rubbed people the wrong way is because of years of teasing Banjo 3, whilst PD has been left in some strange limbo, games like Conker and Banjo are inherently beloved platformers, a genre thats been pretty neglected recently, but FPS fatigue is sinking in pretty hard (unless its something fresh)

Again, I could be wrong, you may disagree, many may disagree but I think Joanna Dark and her universe can be rehauled into something fresh but also something that pleases fans

Conker should come back as a platformer
Banjo should come back as a platformer
Perfect Dark CAN come back as a shooter, but all its espionage elements can be used for something that is fresh without being drastically different

EDIT: drastically different as in, offensive

ekim

While we're known mostly for our outback and wildlife, we have some amazingly slick and sprawling cities. I hope they don't neglect this side of Australia.

There are cities. :)

FordGTGuy

Banned
What'd you think?

I keep an open mind for any possibility but I am optimistic that Playground Games and Turn 10 will deliver a great experience as always.

I'm just hoping we'll see cities that could take up to 10 minutes to cross with a hypercar and you can spend hours exploring and fooling around.

I hope we see some sand/dirt/mud physics going on too with deformation and maybe even rock climbing.

I'm honestly not sure. You'd think that central Australia, and much of the Eastern coastline (including Sydney, and perhaps the Gold Coast and Melbourne) would be a lock; surely they can't have a game in Australia without Uluru and the Opera house.

RoKKeR

A large, central "hub" city that allows for the careful design of a few great street tracks would be welcome in FH3. Keep the off road tracks, the tracks that work in highways and small countryside roads, but as others have said a big city would be great.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'm honestly not sure. You'd think that central Australia, and much of the Eastern coastline (including Sydney, and perhaps the Gold Coast and Melbourne) would be a lock; surely they can't have a game in Australia without Uluru and the Opera house.

I have no doubt that they will manage to nail down places like the Opera house.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the direction that they will go with the career.

I feel like Motorsport and Horizon should adopt a career like GRID, giving a reason to have sponsors on your cars by adopting them to make money on races.

A large, central "hub" city that allows for the careful design of a few great street tracks would be welcome in FH3. Keep the off road tracks, the tracks that work in highways and small countryside roads, but as others have said a big city would be great.

A track builder would be great too, give us a track builder of snapping pieces that's forge style so we can build our own cities and race tracks.

dGMlGz3.jpg

daTRUballin

It would be nice as a FPS as well! It's just, where do you go? You can take KI and polish the formula and it's aged beautifully, you could also have a really really polished PD but hasnt most of that been accomplished in the overly saturated shooter market?

and theres the fact Perfect Dark/Goldeneye just hasnt aged well, this might just be my opinion but I think its quite a commonly shared sentiment. No matter what I think they'd either have to drastically recreate how it works mechanically as a shooter, or do a brand new genre twist

which wouldnt be that offensive! The only reason Nuts and Bolts rubbed people the wrong way is because of years of teasing Banjo 3, whilst PD has been left in some strange limbo, games like Conker and Banjo are inherently beloved platformers, a genre thats been pretty neglected recently, but FPS fatigue is sinking in pretty hard (unless its something fresh)

Again, I could be wrong, you may disagree, many may disagree but I think Joanna Dark and her universe can be rehauled into something fresh but also something that pleases fans

Conker should come back as a platformer
Banjo should come back as a platformer
Perfect Dark CAN come back as a shooter, but all its espionage elements can be used for something that is fresh without being drastically different

I'm not saying I'm completely against the idea of a Perfect Dark that does something different, but it just strikes me as kind of odd that so many people are wanting PD to return as something else. It kind of makes sense I guess since MS already has Halo and Gears of War, but I feel like if they want to try new things, why not just make a new IP instead?

PD has always been an FPS franchise and it should probably stay that way. I can imagine Rare making a new IP that does what you described. Rare actually hasn't made a more "serious" game since 2005 with Perfect Dark Zero. They've been pretty much making cartoony family friendly games for the last 10 years. I think it'd be interesting to see them revive something like Perfect Dark or Conker in this day and age, or make a new IP that is similar to those types of games. :p

I agree. While I really liked the setting of FH2 (which was more coherent), I disliked the structure of the career.

I think we both can look forward to Monday and will be very happy after the conference. :)

Sweet, looking forward to it!

I would prefer an island I think. I don't like walled off sections for open world games. Although the previous game handled it very well.

I think a large island which represents a shrunk down Australia would work very well.

edit - also, throw us on the train old bean!

SOR5

I'm not saying I'm completely against the idea of a Perfect Dark that does something different, but it just strikes me as kind of odd that so many people are wanting PD to return as something else. It kind of makes sense I guess since MS already has Halo and Gears of War, but I feel like if they want to try new things, why not just make a new IP instead?

PD has always been an FPS franchise and it should probably stay that way. I can imagine Rare making a new IP that does what you described. Rare actually hasn't made a more "serious" game since 2005 with Perfect Dark Zero. They've been pretty much making cartoony family friendly games for the last 10 years. I think it'd be interesting to see them revive something like Perfect Dark or Conker in this day and age, or make a new IP that is similar to those types of games. :p

Using an already established IP for a stealth style game like Perfect Dark is basically an adaptable toolkit, you've got all the devices, characters, universe, atmosphere already established, The reason why people keep homing in on Perfect Dark being reborn as a new genre is because it has all these malleable elements that could really just work. MS doesnt need to use a new IP, its why things like Halo Wars sound a bit rough on paper but really work when the developer knows how to utilise all the resources. I think a reworked PD wouldnt be a game that offends its existing fanbase if its of a certain quality and the material is faithful to its predecessors. WoW was such an extreme departure but Warcraft fans loved it, Halo Wars is an extreme depature but Halo fans loved it. Its either risk a mediocre PDZ style game or risk fucking up in something extraordinary, it really depends how ambitious the devs are and I think you'll get a more successful pay-off if your ambition is high and your goals are successful

Theres some of Rare's IP's that I completely understand if they should just refine it and do nothing else. Conker, KI, Banjo, Kameo, Viva Pinata, these games dont need any drastic overhaul, and any attempts to drastically overhaul them are pointless, their formulas are perfect. They got KI right like you said, but I guess theyre still failing to learn with Conker. (As far as I know, Nuts and Bolts was the idea of Gregg Mayles but it still just wasnt necessary, especially after the Banjo 3 teasing)

Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini are the two glaring ones that would need a significant revamp for me. For many contextual reasons, mainly how shooters have left a pot hole into the industry over and over without stopping since CoD 4 and beyond. Some might think its blasphemy to change them and as you said, they should just work on a new IP, but what if they really could freshen them up without bastardising the source material? Its pretty easy it to compare it to a revival like DOOM, but for me DOOM still had some insanely fun old-school foundations to work from, whilst Perfect Dark/Goldeneye doesnt in this day and age (even though I love those games) But then again, I could be completely wrong and maybe something like a quicker refined PDZ would strike gold

Battletoads is the one where im really on the fence, personally i'd be fine with Battletoads Arcade redux, but i'd be open to a fresh take as well, for me its a win/win as long as the final result is a good product.

Microsoft needs to be creative, and I know they risked it once with Nuts and Bolts and it landed flat, but its not impossible

I just hope MS is successful with their new IPs. I'm so happy with them. I mean Scalebound, Recore and Sea of Thieves are so NOT MS.

And I hope we see the new game of the creators of the second best game on XBO, Moon Studios. The best game is FH2.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Variety
60 fps
Motivating campaign, not here's thirty events, now do them 25 times each
good track design
less offroad
Remarkable landmarks
Good music

SOR5

Is there a way to skip the patronising DJ bro calling me "mate" and directing me to the next race on the map? That would be a god send, those repeated 10 seconds build up from a minor inconvenience to pure dread

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Microsoft needs to be creative, and I know they risked it once with Nuts and Bolts and it landed flat, but its not impossible

Nuts and Bolts was in no way the result of a creative process. Read a postmortem on that, it's heartbraking.

ekim

Variety
60 fps
Motivating campaign, not here's thirty events, now do them 25 times each
good track design
less offroad
Remarkable landmarks
Good music

Variety [x]
60 fps [x; on PC]
Motivating campaign [?; but the outlook is good]
Good Track design [?; depends on your priorities I guess]
less offroad [ ]
remarkable landmarks [x]
Good music [x; objectively every player will enjoy at least one radio station]

Is there a way to skip the patronising DJ bro calling me "mate" and directing me to the next race on the map? That would be a god send, those repeated 10 seconds build up from a minor inconvenience to pure dread

There is a certain way, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom