• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio coming to xbla/psn? Very fake, hype threat level: Green.

Numpt3

LQX said:
I played through JSRF(pack in version with Sega GT) again a few weeks ago and had no real problems at all. Yes there is some slowdown but it was rare. The game is still 100% playable and if you keep in mind it is a rather old game being emulated then you should have no problems at all. Don't let these dudes dissuade from getting it. Buy it.
Yeah i'd say go for it aswell. I still have my old copy and I pop it in and give it a go from time to time. It's totally playable and the only bad slow down i've ever noticed is on 99th street like theultimo mentioned.

Damn I hope this is true, although it's probably fake :(

Speevy

Banned
Umm...I thought the JSRF/Sega GT combo disk was not backwards compatible.

Only the standalone version was the last time I checked.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Speevy said:

No, it works. That is how I play JSRF now. Noticeable slowdown, but there was alot of that when playing it in 2002 too.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Speevy said:

Works fine when I play it on my 360.

jax (old)

Banned
because there isn't more sources on the internet verifying this (ala the gears 3 leak), I'd class this as a fake.

and JSRF is vastly inferior and sort of terrible.

MjFrancis

I wouldn't mind having a copy of Jet Set Radio on XBLA. A proper sequel would be preferred, combining the best aspects on JSR and JSRF.

Speevy said:

The combo disc wasn't backwards compatible for a very short time. Maybe a week or so if I remember correctly. The standalone copy sold for outrageous prices on eBay until the fix for the combo disc was made.

Kafel

Banned
Yeah, French or English dashboard, he must choose.

Btw, Sonic, Crazy Taxi make sense since versions got released on the PC. But JSR ...

SmokyDave

After my Afterburner love in weekend, I will buy everything that Sega release on PSN, simple as. JSR would be fantastic, as would JSRF.

Rlan

ArchAngel said:
From the guy who leaked JSR

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Xbox360Leaker

MEGATON! :eek:
Fake?

Shenmue's a completely different beast compared to Jet Set Radio or Sonic Adventure -- the thing was on 3 discs and were pretty packed with voice samples etc. XBLA games have a strict 2GB file size maximum not due to any size limit rules but due to the way the file structure is set out for XBLA games. Games On Demand can be bigger, but XBLA can't.

Sure, there are a ton of repeated assets on the discs, but mucking around with that stuff to make it a complete "no disc swap" experience is a pretty damn crazy thing to do for a port.

wRATH2x

Banned
Rlan said:
Shenmue's a completely different beast compared to Jet Set Radio or Sonic Adventure -- the thing was on 3 discs and were pretty packed with voice samples etc. XBLA games have a strict 2GB file size maximum not due to any size limit rules but due to the way the file structure is set out for XBLA games. Games On Demand can be bigger, but XBLA can't.

Sure, there are a ton of repeated assets on the discs, but mucking around with that stuff to make it a complete "no disc swap" experience is a pretty damn crazy thing to do for a port.
What was the size of the original Dreamcasts disc's?

Rlan said:

The picture does say "II", so maybe they are releasing each disc as a Shenmue episode?

Aaron

I wish they would re-release JSRF in widescreen with the slowdown from the original fixed, and add in Jet Grind style tagging complete with cops showing during the tag sessions. That would be perfection. Oh, and replace the crap songs on the soundtrack with more Jet Grind.

Rlan

Vinterbird said:
The picture does say "II", so maybe they are releasing each disc as a Shenmue episode?

Actually looking it up "Project Berkley" was the original Project name for Shenmue. So it looks like it would be Shenmue II, and not the first one. If that's the case, it's probably a port of the Xbox version which has English Audio.

elektrixx

Banned
wRATH2x said:
1.28GB or something for a GD-ROM I think.

There was probably padding and duplicated assets in all those Shenmue discs so I think it's possible.

Rlan said:
Actually looking it up "Project Berkley" was the original Project name for Shenmue. So it looks like it would be Shenmue II, and not the first one. If that's the case, it's probably a port of the Xbox version which has English Audio.
Unless that's the pet name they're giving to the port of the first one.

randomwab

wRATH2x said:

Dreamcast discs were about a 1.2GB. I guess each of the three story discs of Shenmue had a ton of the same content, but whether they could drop roughly an entire gig for XBLA is another thing. That, or Microsoft is raising the cap again.

God damn it, Dreamcast games on XBLA are playing with my heart. Here's hoping for JSRF.

Rlan said:

Sega could make it episodic!

N.A

Banned
Each Shenmue disc is under 500mb compressed so I'd imagine they'd be able to get the whole thing around 1GB if they removed all the repeated assets.

Looks fake to me though.

IrishNinja

jj984jj said:
Works fine when I play it on my 360.

wait, the dual JSR/other game disc? i recall graphic glitches in level 1, man. wish it weren't so.

Shenmue 1, much less episodic on XBLA ALL OVER MY FACE. ill make peace with the shitty dub of part 2 if it means an excuse to go through these again, for real.

wRATH2x

Banned
elektrixxx said:
1.28GB or something for a GD-ROM I think.

There was probably padding and duplicated assets in all those Shenmue discs so I think it's possible.
randomwab said:
Dreamcast discs were about a 1.2GB. I guess each of the three story discs of Shenmue had a ton of the same content, but whether they could drop roughly an entire gig for XBLA is another thing. That, or Microsoft is raising the cap again.
Oh OK, thanks!
The Faceless Master said:
Sega could make it episodic!
That would work, but you know Sega.

Numpt3

Shenmue aswell!? I really want to believe this but you know it's not going to end well and we will all be bitterly disappointed :lol

Rat Salad

Banned
You know I don't know why companies like Sega and Namco don't take a look at the clutzerfuck that is Microsoft's GameRoom and just run with it by doing it right.

They could make it so you walk into a Sega or Namco arcade and have all the games from the 80's/90's and 2000 ready to buy and play. I would fucking die if they were smart enough to do this. I'd also be very broke but to have all the games like that would be incredible.

Live and PSN would be that much better.

Rlan

Suzzopher said:
How come Shenmue and Jet Set Radio don't have achievements on them? Sonic Adventure has achievements no? I smell a fake.

Demos don't show Achievements until they've become "full game" versions.

Suzzopher

Rat Salad said:
You know I don't know why companies like Sega and Namco don't take a look at the clutzerfuck that is Microsoft's GameRoom and just run with it by doing it right.

They could make it so you walk into a Sega or Namco arcade and have all the games from the 80's/90's and 2000 ready to buy and play. I would fucking die if they were smart enough to do this. I'd also be very broke but to have all the games like that would be incredible.

Also Virtual Console Arcade is crying out for classic SEGA arcade games. Seriously Virtua Fighter 2 on Game Room or Virtual Console Arcade I will lose my shit.

Suzzopher

Rlan said:
Demos don't show Achievements until they've become "full game" versions.

But on Partnernet you don't get the demo of the XBLA releases. Well I never saw any games with trial versions. Maybe I wasn't looking as I would just download the full game without hesitation. Just weird that this cat has downloaded the full games for announced games yet only trials for games unannounced.

Rat Salad

Banned
Suzzopher said:
Also Virtual Console Arcade is crying out for classic SEGA arcade games. Seriously Virtua Fighter 2 on Game Room or Virtual Console Arcade I will lose my shit.

Oh yeah defintely,I totally forgot about Virtual console,bring it on. I'd loose my also shit if I walked into a Sega virtual arcade and saw 15 Gaffer's avatar sitting down in a Daytona 2 cabinet and linking up to the game the way its always been done. I'd jump in and be the 16th player to be in that race.:)

There is so much money to be made by rereleasing the classics. Were living in an age where everything is being rebooted,why not make a gaming hub where your avatar walks into that actual dirty arcade,yes I know its been done with GameRoom but they got the execution so wrong. You have to have the games to nail the atmosphere. If all these companies would work with all the console manufacturers to allow their games to be put into a virtual arcade,and not fear competing with one another it would be great. Hell they could all split the profits,but that wouldn't work I suppose,too much greed.

Instead you would see each company with their own arcade,but to do this you'd need for each console manufacturer to create a hub across Virtual Console,PSN,and Live,then walk into each area(Taito,SNK,Nintendo,Sega,Namco,Capcom,etc.) and enter that companies arcade. Each area would be like what Sony already does with HOME.

Backflip

The dude has uploaded videos of games that are on Partnernet but it looks like he only did that to make you believe that JSR and Shenmue II are coming to the 360. As far as I can tell, he has a debug 360 but the JSR and Shenmue screenshots are fake.

If he had access to XBLA versions of Shenmue II and Jet Set Radio do you really believe that he would just upload videos of Hydro Thunder 2, a game that has already been announced ?

I have access to Partnernet, so I can't talk about the stuff that is on there. But what I can say is that either he has access to a super secret Partnernet and/or knows SEGA employees that are willing to leak stuff, or all of this is fake.

And besides, that Project Berkley II screen is poorly done.

Suzzopher

Rat Salad said:
Oh yeah defintely,I totally forgot about Virtual console,bring it on. There is so much money to be made by rereleasing the classics. Were living in an age where everything is being rebooted,why not make a gaming hub where your avatar walks into that actual dirty arcade,yes I know its been done with GameRoom but they got the execution so wrong. You have to have the games to nail the atmosphere. If all these companies would work with all the console manufacturers to allow their games to be put into a virtual arcade,and not fear competing with one another it would be great. Hell they could all split the profits,but that wouldn't work I suppose,too much greed.

Instead you would see each company with their own arcade,but to do this you'd need for each console manufacturer to create a hub across Virtual Console,PSN,and Live,then walk into each area(Taito,SNK,Nintendo,Sega,Namco,Capcom,etc.) and enter that companies arcade. Each area would be like what Sony already does with HOME.

We're going off topic, but it's fake so let us continue.

I would love to see the Animal Crossing engine used for Miis to travel around from a SEGA Arcade to a Namco Arcade to a Konami Arcade to an SNK Arcade etc. Having that as a channel for Virtual Console Arcade would be incredible. Game Room has shown a little potential for this concept but is lacking in charm and functionality.

Nintendo will never do what I hope for but I can dream damn it:lol

Rat Salad

Banned
Suzzopher said:
We're going off topic, but it's fake so let us continue.

I would love to see the Animal Crossing engine used for Miis to travel around from a SEGA Arcade to a Namco Arcade to a Konami Arcade to an SNK Arcade etc. Having that as a channel for Virtual Console Arcade would be incredible. Game Room has shown a little potential for this concept but is lacking in charm and functionality.

Nintendo will never do what I hope for but I can dream damn it:lol

Yeah I don't mean to derail so this'll be my last post on this. I really don't know why each company doesn't do this,I mean when you nail the atmosphere by having miis and avatrs walk into that gaming arcade,where you see your friends from your gaming list,it would be instant $$$$$ for all the game companies. Half the reason you hubg out with friends was because you had all the cool arcades as a kid,to give that back to adults where they could relive it is priceless and easy money. A goldmine really. And I just thought of something. Who gets the rights to having the Killer Instinct games in their arcades? Microsoft(with Rare) or Nintendo(Nintendo copyrights were all over at the game's title screen so...):lol

Ahh it'd be nice but yeah,it would never happen. Stupid gaming companies.

Backflip

I've been talking to the "leaker" via PM on YouTube (he contacted me because I wrote on his channel that his stuff was fake) and I'm now 99% sure that he's lying. I've given him easy ways to prove that his screenshots are real and his answers are just a bunch of crap in broken English.

Alec

It's very easy to replace the thumbnail and the text to make it show up as whatever you want to. Too bad it was a fake.

Backflip

He's now telling me that his stuff comes from "TestNet" which, according to him, is a hidden part of PartnerNet. I've never heard of that so I can't say if it's bullshit or not but I still believe that his screenshots were fake.

Suzzopher

Backflip said:
He's now telling me that his stuff comes from "TestNet" which, according to him, is a hidden part of PartnerNet. I've never heard of that so I can't say if it's bullshit or not but I still believe that his screenshots were fake.

TestNet:lol

Alec

Backflip said:

The hidden parts of PartnerNet don't have any special name, they're just hidden and only GamerTags specified by MS can see them. Nothing more complicated than that. Fake.

He would show JSR footage if he had it.

Backflip

What's funny is that he only posts in-game screenshots of stuff that is already on PartnerNet in order to prove that everything else is also true. He's just an asshole with a Debug 360. I don't know what he's trying to accomplish.

Top Bottom