• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LocoMrPollock said:
So how do you rip Gamecube games? I could swear it was in the OP yesterday, but I don't see it now.

I only have a link to the Wii Homebrew Thread on Gaf. They have all the info you could possibly need to set that up, so I don't feel the need to go through it again here. The thread is strictly about Dolphin.

JADS

HisshouBuraiKen said:
So I ripped my games to my hard drive. Can I do a NAND backup/dump with bootmii or some other similar tool, feed it to Dolphin and launch the system menu at startup so I have a fully emulated wii? Does Dolphin work properly with USB ports / SD card slots?

Last time I tried I could launch the system menu. However launching games from the disc channel isn't supported yet, the Mii channel is though.

Nabs

scitek said:

Can't really be played, though. Some critical things are missing, like the paint splotches all over the ground don't show up, for instance.
Texture > Ram.

LocoMrPollock said:
So how do you rip Gamecube games? I could swear it was in the OP yesterday, but I don't see it now.
you need a wii w/ homebrew installed. check programs like superdump and wii dvd dumper. the homebrew thread will probably be more helpful.

Pizza Luigi said:
I'm thinking about getting Windows 7, but only in a few months. Then my college will start and then I can get a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for 20 bucks, so that's easy.

I'm a noob in the overclocking department, so I'll read into that for a bit.

Where can you buy Windows 7 for $20? Ultimate Steal used to sell Windows 7 Pro for $30, but the price went up to $65 in January. I was hoping I could get it for free through MSDNAA, but my college only gives it to IT students. :(

This just makes me realize that I would be fine with PS2 era visuals for the rest of my life and that these current crop of consoles were so rushed out.

JADS

Title_Klonoa.jpg

Background
Help Klonoa save Phantomile, a land formed by the dreams of its inhabitants, and recently besieged by an unknown evil. Klonoa’s
breathtaking journey takes him through a series of increasingly difficult stages across multiple kingdoms as he strives to save his friends
and homeland. Throughout his quest, Klonoa is aided by his friend Hewpoe, a benevolent spirit who resides in the ring from which Klonoa
is able to fire his Wind Bullet. The Wind Bullet gives Klonoa the ability to grab and inflate his enemies and use them to his advantage.
  • Region: PAL
  • Completion: 100%
  • Default FPS: 60
  • Average FPS: ~60
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Widescreen: Yes
  • Dolphin Build: 2.0 Official, 64-Bit

Issues
Works fine, baring some FPS drops in some situations. The emulator does seem to have a bug in which the game sometimes drops to 30
fps. Pressing alt+enter (Windowed mode) and going fullscreen afterwards seems to fix the problem.
  • In vision 1.1 part of the castle in the background is rendered in a low resolution, no fix found.

Settings

Config / Basic Settings
  • Enable Dual Core: Yes
  • Enable Idle Skipping: Yes
  • Framelimit: Auto
  • Use FPS For Limiting: No
Config / Advanced Settings
  • HLE the IPL: Yes
  • CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompiler
  • Lock Threads to Cores: Yes
  • DSPLLE on Thread: No
Config /Interface Settings
  • Confirm on Stop: No
  • Use Panic Handlers: No
Graphics / Direct3D
  • V-Sync: Yes
  • Widescreen Hack: No
  • Aspect Ratio: Auto
  • Anti-Alias Mode: 4x SSAA
  • Enable CPU->EFB Access: No
  • Safe Texture Cache: No
Graphics / Enhancements
  • Force Bi/Trilinear: No
  • Enable 16x Anisotropy Filtering: Yes
  • Enable Hires Texture Loading: No
  • EFB Scaled Copy: Yes
Graphics / Advanced
  • Disable Fog: No
  • Enable EFB Copy: To Texture
  • Enable XFB: No
  • Use Native Mips: Yes
  • Overlay FPS Counter: No
  • Enable Hotkey: No
  • Enable Wireframe: No
  • Enable Real XFB: No
DSP / Sound
  • Enable HLE Audio: Yes
  • Enable DTK Music: Yes
  • Enable Audio Throttle: No
  • Audio Backend: DSound

Screenshots

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JADS has submitted all the info I needed to set the guide Klonoa up for him and as you can see, it looks gorgeous. I'm really looking forward to other guides put up from him, he told me he has Zack & Wiki and PN03 in the works :D

You can now see the link to his guide in the post below the OP where guides will be listed.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm using a 360 pad, but all the GCN games act like my triggers are ALWAYS pushed in. I see the option to adjust the deadzone for the analogs, but I don't see such an option for the triggers. What do I do?

Rich!

eosos said:
has anyone gotten twilight princess working at a decent framerate?

Yep, pretty much a constant full speed 30fps for me on the gamecube version. I'm up to Death Mountain right now.

Some issues with sound though, and I hear hyrule field is fucked later on. We'll see.

MNC

Super thread. I see there's gonna be game specific guides on how to get them running. I remember some other guy and I started saying psh yeah we could do something like that but it never happened :lol

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've determined that most Nintendo-made GameCube games in HD look better than most 360 and PS3 games.

Wind Waker HD > Everything on Earth.

eosos

Banned
richisawesome said:
Yep, pretty much a constant full speed 30fps for me on the gamecube version. I'm up to Death Mountain right now.

Some issues with sound though, and I hear hyrule field is fucked later on. We'll see.
What rev are ya usin? Specs would be appreciated as well :D

I can't figure out how to get the widescreen hack working?

Also, has anyone tried running Beyong Good and Evil?

Eternal Darkness doesn't work ;(

Dacvak

Can someone take a bunch of Galaxy 1080p shots? I want a few new wallpapers. =O

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Awwww yeah. The boss fight will never get old. Easily my top 5 favorite games. It's sad how little influence I need to start up Resident Evil 4 again.

Resident%20Evil%204%2005.jpg

Resident%20Evil%204%2006.jpg

Resident%20Evil%204%2008.jpg

Resident%20Evil%204%2009.jpg

Resident%20Evil%204%2011.jpg

Red

Sega1991 said:
I think you're missing his point.
Nah, just being snarky. A lot of PS3 and 360 games aren't HD, which was the joke I was trying to make. Of course running games at 1080p with incredibly high levels of AA and anisotropic filtering will produce a nicer image than the compromises we get with "current gen" visuals.

I'm only half serious, anyway. 360/PS3 games obviously benefit from better textures, shaders, and complex geometry. It's just that the overall IQ often lacks the crisp cleanliness of these Dolphin screens.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Something makes me think an HTPC capable of running this is truly the one-system future™.

LocoMrPollock said:
I can't figure out how to get the widescreen hack working?

Also, has anyone tried running Beyong Good and Evil?

Eternal Darkness doesn't work ;(
Why would you emulate BGE when there's a perfectly good PC port on Steam right now?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I NEED SCISSORS said:
How well does it run on your system? (specs too?)

And JADS, posting all your settings is an awesome idea.

Read the second post in the thread lol. Or the third post. I set up a template to follow and JADS was the first user (apart from myself). Hopefully if others join in, we can cover quite a few games.

Resident Evil 4 runs at a perfect 30 fps at 1080p with 4xSSAA.

Stallion Free said:
Read the second post in the thread lol. Or the third post. I set up a template to follow and JADS was the first user (apart from myself). Hopefully if others join in, we can cover quite a few games.

Should I make a post for Killer 7?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
.:Wesker:. said:
Should I make a post for Killer 7?

Sure, fill out the text file i posted (post 2 in the thread) and zip it up with 3 1080p screens in bmp form and 1 1080p screen (preferably without hud aka during a cutscene) for the banner and then post it on megaupload for me in a PM. I'll make the necessary photoshops and hosting additions so that they match up to the guides posted so far. The process went very smoothly with JADS and the results are fantastic. You get to post and I add the link to the game guide list with your name as well.

Stallion Free said:

Jizzzz.

Quick question - should I manually limit my framerate to 30fps for 30fps games, or does the 60fps readout I get simply mean it is running at 'full speed'?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Jizzzz.

Quick question - should I manually limit my framerate to 30fps for 30fps games, or does the 60fps readout I get simply mean it is running at 'full speed'?

If it's a 30 fps game running at 60 fps, then you will be running at 200% speed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I NEED SCISSORS said:
So that is where i've been going wrong..

Some games flip between 30-60 fps depending on scene, such as REmake with with the door opening sequences. With these games you definitely want it set to auto. Some games will run at 15 fps if you limit it to 30, while they run at 30 if you set it to auto. The reverse can happen as well.

Dacvak

So, where are those HD Galaxy screens? =)

Chris R

LocoMrPollock said:
The way I was able to do it was to set my Wii up with HBC (which I needed to rip my Wii games anyways) and then download a bootloader that enables you to rip over wifi. Then simple send the browser of your choice to the Wii's IP address, click to download the iso, and wait 3 hours or so :| Only took me two days to rip all the GC games I care about. I just need to spend time getting the games running and looking good. I really want to play Wind Waker again :(

Hey Stallion. Great job on the thread. As someone said, this is the most clear and concise guide around for getting Dolphin up and running. The internet owes you a debt.

I guess it was largely ignored in the other thread, but do you think it might be helpful to people playing the games and making guides to have a link for the game thread index on the dolphin forums? Just a thought. If mentioning it was faux pas than just ignore me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
blackMamba1187 said:
Hey Stallion. Great job on the thread. As someone said, this is the most clear and concise guide around for getting Dolphin up and running. The internet owes you a debt.

I guess it was largely ignored in the other thread, but do you think it might be helpful to people playing the games and making guides to have a link for the game thread index on the dolphin forums? Just a thought. If mentioning it was faux pas than just ignore me.

No way man, I use that thread all the time, I'll throw the link in, it's a great idea.

Stallion Free said:
Sure, fill out the text file i posted (post 2 in the thread) and zip it up with 3 1080p screens in bmp form and 1 1080p screen (preferably without hud aka during a cutscene) for the banner and then post it on megaupload for me in a PM. I'll make the necessary photoshops and hosting additions so that they match up to the guides posted so far. The process went very smoothly with JADS and the results are fantastic. You get to post and I add the link to the game guide list with your name as well.
PM sent.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
.:Wesker:. said:
How's this?

[SMGasm]

I will pay any amount of money for scientists to figure out a way for me to sleep with this screenshot.

Holy... Holy something, can't even find the words...

Title_Killer7.jpg

Background
The story of Killer7 revolves around Harman Smith, a sixty-year-old schizophrenic assassin who is crippled and forever bound to a
wheelchair. Fortunately for his career, he possesses the power of "God-Killer," which renders him invincible and gives him extraordinary
supernatural powers. He is also capable of manifesting his seven alternate personalities into the real world, each with their own weapon
and personal style of killing. This "group" of professional assassins is collectively known as the Killer7 Syndicate. The main antagonist of
Killer7 is Kun Lan, who possesses the "God-Hand." With it, he can transform people into mindless, invisible time-bombs called the Heaven
Smiles, and seeks to wreak havoc across the United States. The US government has called upon the Killer7 to destroy the Heaven Smiles,
take out Kun Lan, and end the threat that surrounds the country.
  • Region: NTSC
  • Completion: 25%
  • Default FPS: 30
  • Average FPS: 30
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Widescreen: Yes
  • Dolphin Build: 5426 64bit SSE4.2

Issues
  • Music and cutscene audio stops after a second or two
  • Floors may turn black on loading in-game saves, use save states to avoid this

Settings

Config / Basic Settings
  • Enable Dual Core: Yes
  • Enable Idle Skipping: Yes
  • Framelimit: Auto
  • Use FPS For Limiting: No
Config / Advanced Settings
  • HLE the IPL: Yes
  • CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompiler
  • Lock Threads to Cores: Yes
  • DSPLLE on Thread: Yes
Config /Interface Settings
  • Confirm on Stop: No
  • Use Panic Handlers: No (can't attempt the first boss fight if this is on)
Graphics / Direct3D
  • V-Sync: No
  • Widescreen Hack: Yes
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen
  • Anti-Alias Mode: 4x SSAA
  • Enable CPU->EFB Access: Yes (can't kill enemies if this is off)
  • Safe Texture Cache: Off
Graphics / Enhancements
  • Force Bi/Trilinear: No
  • Enable 16x Anisotropy Filtering: Yes
  • Enable Hires Texture Loading: No
  • EFB Scaled Copy: Yes
Graphics / Advanced
  • Disable Fog: No
  • Enable EFB Copy: To Texture
  • Enable XFB: No
  • Use Native Mips: Yes
  • Overlay FPS Counter: No