• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge for PC coming September 8th, additional Halo updates detailed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
http://news.xbox.com/2016/08/24/hal...ber-8-anvils-legacy-content-release-revealed/

On September 8, Halo’s most powerful and accessible world, level and game creation suite arrives as a free download via the Windows Store on Windows 10 PCs. Halo 5: Forge lets map makers, creative visionaries, and Spartans of all kinds build, share and play new levels, maps, and experiences across Windows 10 PC and Xbox One. On the same day, the ninth free content release for Halo 5: Guardians on Xbox One – Anvil’s Legacy – will deliver significant updates to Forge mode on console that complement the Windows release, as well as two new maps, new weapons, new weapon attachments, customization options and more.

Here’s a quick refresher on Halo 5: Forge:

•Halo 5: Forge Comes to Windows 10 PC. First announced back in May, Halo 5: Forge brings the entire Forge level-creation experience from Halo 5: Guardians to Windows 10, with support for mouse and keyboard for highly refined object placement and manipulation, higher-resolution displays (including 4k) for stunning graphic fidelity, the ability to host and play custom matches for up to 16 players, and a new content browser that spans platforms. Creators will be able to download levels from the Forge community created on both Windows 10 PC and Xbox One, which they can then customize, or create their own from scratch. Halo 5: Forge opens the door to new possibilities in Halo 5: Guardians and beyond.

We can’t wait to see what the community will build with the added power of Halo 5: Forge on Windows 10 PC.

Additional details on new content coming in Anvil’s Legacy include:

•Content Browser that Spans Platforms. The Anvil’s Legacy content release brings the highly anticipated content browser to Forge mode in Halo 5: Guardians on Xbox One – a new, streamlined way to discover community-created Forge content, with support for custom maps, game modes and Forge Object Groups. Combined with Halo 5: Forge on Windows 10 PC, the new content browser will let users browse, access and enjoy content from both PC and console Forgers, regardless of which system it was originally created on.

•New Arena and Warzone Maps – Mercy and Temple. With the addition of “Mercy”, a new battleground is open for competitive Arena players, while “Temple” brings the desert environment of Sanghelios to Warzone Assault modes.

•New Weapons, REQs, Customization Options and More. Anvil’s Legacy brings several new desirable REQ items including three new weapons, new Sound Dampener attachments, weapon and armor skins, and more.

Stay tuned to Xbox Wire and Halo Waypoint for more Halo news, including tomorrow for additional details on the brand new Halo app coming soon to Windows 10 PC!

Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/08/24/hal...content-release-revealed/#zdjWW5rATjGHus6S.99

Josemsar

Neo Member
So.... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big fuck you, and the closest thing we will have is to make maps for the Xbox One users to play? Is this really something I should be happy about?

jediyoshi

So.... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big fuck you, and the closest thing we will have is to make maps for the Xbox One users to play? Is this really something I should be happy about?

..you play them as well. On PC.

GreyWind

I'm gonna repost my question, in case I've missed the news.

When can we hear more about the system requirements?

Akronis

You can do 16 player custom matches on PC.

matthieuC

You can play customs on PC.

Nutter

Did you selectively ignore that you can play Custom Games with this?

So pc gamers can make maps for me on xbox one? That's great.

Its like people choose NOT to read before typing.

FyreWulff

You can play multiplayer on PC.

Uuh so map creation tools on pc is a bad thing?

jem0208

Not this bullshit again.

Forge on PC has been requested for almost a decade. It's being made for the forgers.

Not to mention it includes free custom games.

You can play customs but there is no server browser or any way to find them besides somehow having 15 friends who want to play Halo on PC at the same time.

Bring over the whole game!!!

Cool, perfect time to drop, just when classes start picking up :p

Will definitely try out, I can't wait to see how rusty I am, man its been a while since H3 forge

So (continuing from the other thread that got locked) the only difference between this and the MP component on the X1 is the matchmaking? At least thats what it sounds like.

Any chance they would bring that over as well??

Like I said in the other thread I'm excited to finally get a forge browser on console. It's easily my biggest "want" with Halo 5.

Akronis

Am definitely interested in trying this out, especially because it's free. Haven't played a Halo game since Halo CE on PC waaaaaay back.

I mean this is the first time I've read about this (well the other thread was). There's no matchmaking, right? Its not full Multiplayer, just if you can scrounge up 15 people at one time to play etc. Right?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Oops. Sorry. I never do that, which is probably why I didn't know it's verboten.

I mean this is the first time I've read about this (well the other thread was). There's no matchmaking, right? Its not full Multiplayer, just if you can scrounge up 15 people at one time to play etc. Right?

You will find out more about easier ways to organize games soon. But correct, no XBL-style matchmaking.

Nowise10

One thing I am still confused about, is if they are making ways to host or find Custom Games? All of this stuff sounds fantastic, but I won't use it if their is no way to look for players wanting to play. That has been an issue with Halo 5 so far. The average shmuck doesn't haven 8+ friends on to play Custom Games with, and this isn't 2008 anymore where you had Custom game lobbies goes 24/7. I've yet to actually play in a full Custom Game lobby currently in Halo 5 and I'm level 118.

Nice! Hope this runs well. I have few good machines I'm not worried about, but a few lower end PCs that might struggle. Want to have lots of LAN parties with this :D

oh its this nonsense again.

this isnt for you. its for the huge crowd of people who have JUST wanted forge on PC

all other microsoft games in the future are day and date pc.

but ya gotta be mad about something right

Afro

You can play customs but there is no server browser or any way to find them besides somehow having 15 friends who want to play Halo on PC at the same time.

Bring over the whole game!!!

Shouldn't be hard at all to find a group for classic 4v4 / 5v5 action.

shoreu

shit post. This is for console forgers. It is a tool that has been requested by the community.

FyreWulff

One thing I am still confused about, is if they are making ways to host or find Custom Games? All of this stuff sounds fantastic, but I won't use it if their is no way to look for players wanting to play. That has been an issue with Halo 5 so far. The average shmuck doesn't haven 8+ friends on to play Custom Games with, and this isn't 2008 anymore where you had Custom game lobbies goes 24/7.

LFG is coming to the Live platform, presumably across both Win 10 and Xbox

Seems to be a lot of content launching on September 8th.... great (/s), as the Dead Rising Triple Pack launches less then a week later. Thanks Stinkles! But on a serious note, it all sounds great. So on September 8th we'll have the Trio of maps known as Truth, Regret, and Mercy. So, is Mercy Covenant themed?

RoguePope

Banned

They give pc users arguably the most valuable aspect of Halo multiplayer which is Forge and custom games and you see this as a big fuck you? How did you not even read the post to see that you can play the maps before posting a negative reaction to this awesome news as the firs post no less?

Can't wait, though there really needs to be more gamemodes. Asymmetric, KOTH and race, and we're golden 343.

Looking forward to seeing what the Forge team's been working on. They perform miracles with their one month turn around - on this occasion they'll have had more than 2.

Glass

Never thought I'd be seeing Halo come to the PC before this was announced. So fucking hyped, and it's free, people won't even need convincing to try this out

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

If you can imagine a world where a corporation does all this work, then gives it away for free just to hurt you, then go nuts.

This is a tool for Forge creators to iterate more quickly, find and share files, and for PC players to play Halo's MP suite with friends, for free. However the first full Halo game to come to PC day and date with Xbox One version, will be Halo Wars 2.

One thing I am still confused about, is if they are making ways to host or find Custom Games? All of this stuff sounds fantastic, but I won't use it if their is no way to look for players wanting to play. That has been an issue with Halo 5 so far. The average shmuck doesn't haven 8+ friends on to play Custom Games with, and this isn't 2008 anymore where you had Custom game lobbies goes 24/7.

i think they are banking on the LFG feature coming to the dashboard for this kinda stuff.

built into the OS and all

Akronis

If you can imagine a world where a corporation does all this work, then gives it away for free just to hurt you, then go nuts.

This is a tool for Forge creators to iterate more quickly, find and share files, and for PC players to play Halo's MP suite with friends, for free. However the first full Halo game to come to PC day and date with Xbox One version, will be Halo Wars 2.

Will Halo 5 Forge continue to be supported with new content over time?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oops. Sorry. I never do that, which is probably why I didn't know it's verboten.

That's fine. It's less that you posting about Halo 5 is an issue, so much as having 2000 developers postings about their own games and 8000 journalists posting about their own websites suddenly making GAF unusable, so having an across the board policy helps prevent that.

novabolt

I can't wait to try it out.

It's a baby step to the full thing and you are already complaining? Lol, maybe MS should just stop wasting their time with PC gaming. I can't imagine the PC versions will sell good next to their Xbox counterparts if this is the general hostility to their efforts.

FyreWulff

Never thought I'd be seeing Halo come to the PC before this was announced. So fucking hyped, and it's free, people won't even need concinching to try this out

funnily enough the only mainline Halo engine that doesn't have a PC version somewhere is Halo: Reach.

1 came to PC in 2003.
2 came to PC in 2007.
3 & 4 were ported to PC for an online F2P russian Halo release.
5 has PC Forge.
Wars 2 is day and date and will also come with a PC port of Halo Wars 1 (which MS should talk about more, it's buried in the store description!)

At this point Reach is the only Halo that only exists natively on the console it came out on.

Will Halo 5 Forge continue to be supported with new content over time?
Yeah forge used to be updated with new stuff every month until June.

However, updates are now going to be less frequent since they're probably busy working on other stuff. But there's still gonna be updates

why not just sell the damn game on PC, I've loved to do the campaign on legendary co-op. no intention of buying a xbone just to do that though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Granted that people complaining probably didn't read the announcement and are just flailing at the title, but I think it speaks to the unusual nature of this release that the title is not enough to clue people in to how it works. It is pretty unusual for publishers to release map-building tools and a very specific gameplay mode but not the rest of the game on PC. It's understandable, this reflects Microsoft's recent pivot on the PC space and Halo is a big franchise that they want to get right and this is probably the most feasible product they can release given time and resource limitations and the need to focus on the next game in the series. Still, it remains unusual!

Top Bottom