• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Remaster 1/2 free upgrades now live on Steam.

Head.spawn

Getting decent framerates at 4k with my 970m. Typically ~50-60, some drops a little lower, sometimes up to 75 if no vsync. I'm wondering if a few tweaks could have this purring nicely.

Lighting hitting more surfaces seems to be what eats up the most framerate as opposed to crazy shit going down on the screen. Probably wrong.

Anyone start digging into the ini's?

jrcbandit

Bioshock remastered works fine. You can tell more effort was put into it with the extra content in main menu, extended FOV option (that wasn't in the original was it?), etc.. Bioshock 2 remaster seems pretty bare bones and it also immediately crashes when I try to set 2560x1440p resolution, any lower resolution works fine so far.

burgerdog

Really? The hits just keep on coming. I guess I am sticking with the OG games. Now we know why they released it for free.

Would like to get confirmation of this. I remember the opening with the sound from the splicers scaring the shit out of me first time I played this game

I'm only getting stereo sound lol, not even using my subwoofer. I'll confirm that it's properly set up and try again. I don't see why it wouldn't since i haven't changed anything in a while.

So in my Steam library it's listed as:

Bioshock
Bioshock Remastered
Bioshock 2
Bioshock 2 Remastered
Bioshock Infinite

Not sure why it's messed up for other people.

Edit: no surround sound? Oh thats gonna make me mad if true.

dr_rus

Having other issues now cause of it hanging my system.

Rebooting resulted with a screen that looked like a glitched NES game.

Do a power cycle: turn off, switch off your PSU / disconnect from the outlet, wait for some 15 seconds, reconnect and power on.

Sometimes the issues may stuck even after reboot if it was a h/w error like overheating.

burgerdog

So in my Steam library it's listed as:

Bioshock
Bioshock Remastered
Bioshock 2
Bioshock 2 Remastered
Bioshock Infinite

Not sure why it's messed up for other people.

Edit: no surround sound? Oh thats gonna make me mad if true.

Yep, not working. Did a speaker test and everything checks out. I'll wait until they fix it.

4jjiyoon

for a new page, and i tagged em.

bioshock_2016_09_16_0z6rsq.png
bioshock_2016_09_16_0o9rhz.png

NoWayOut

Just tried BS1 (2 is still downloading). I was pleased to see it running at 1080p60 max settings on my laptop with a GTX 960M. Now I won't have to buy it for PS4.

Appleman

Well, on PC at least, the water was enhanced in DX10 mode along with smoke and fog effects

Yeah, are all of these DX10 improvements gone? That DX10 water was tight (although I always thought the sliding down the tube water looked awful on all platforms)

joms5

for a new page, and i tagged em.

This makes me happy that I can play the original still. The textures in those first images are horrendous in the remaster. It's like they didn't even try to match them to the original. And the neon signs looks a lot more detailed in the original game.

Evo X

Seems really well optimized from people's impressions.

I am going to try running this at 8K downsampled to 4K and bathe in the glorious IQ.

4jjiyoon

This makes me happy that I can play the original still. The textures in those first images are horrendous in the remaster. It's like they didn't even try to match them to the original. And the neon signs looks a lot more detailed in the original game.

are you looking at the right ones? the textures are way better in the remaster.

Unai

This fix for the old version is not working for me. Did anyone managed to remove mouse acceleration? I'm editing the correct file, the one under the BioshockHD folder.

[Engine.PlayerInput]
MouseSmoothingMode=0
MouseAccelThreshold=0

Locuza

Sigh*

That's one of the worst kind of remasters, where some parts are looking better and some worse, so you feel conflicted.

4jjiyoon

This fix for the old version is not working for me. Did anyone managed to remove mouse acceleration? I'm editing the correct file, the one under the BioshockHD folder.

none of the old tricks work for me. i switched to a controller.

is anyone getting freezing when bringing up the map? mine stalls for 3 or 4 seconds.

glow

Banned
Very disappointing. Can't complain about free but I am not seeing any significant improvements over the originals yet. Will wait for Digital Foundry analysis before deciding whether or not to replay.

Parallacs

Looking at steam comments, it appears those with RealTek drivers still have missing audio. Lol if true, Bioshock is like the only game I can't play on my computer.

I dont really care to compare screenshots or worry about the water effects. It looks good enough and it was free. At least the sound works in Bioshock 1 remaster without messing with drivers etc.

I just played through the first hour of bioshock. Its been a few years, and I'm reminded of what a truly fantastic experience that game is.

Edit: to the post above - I had sound issues on this computer with regular bioshock 1. Booted up the remaster and it worked fine with no tinkering.

Looking at steam comments, it appears those with RealTek drivers still have missing audio. Lol if true, Bioshock is like the only game I can't play on my computer.
SERIOUSLY? This was the one thing I wanted fixed since I could never play it properly.

Fucking hell.

I played the first bit and I was fine, but I haven't run into any areas with turrets and ambient water sfx going at the same time yet (which would for sure cause issues in the original). I'll just have to hope it is actually fixed.

Unai

none of the old tricks work for me. i switched to a controller.

is anyone getting freezing when bringing up the map? mine stalls for 3 or 4 seconds.

I just tried that, but argh, I can't play FPS games with dual stick controllers anymore. I'll wait for a fix. If they don't ever fix it, at least I still have the old version.

Bastables

I've dipped into the PC Bioshock/2 remasters and am suitably pleased with the fact that they're free and the quality of the new textures and performance that I'm seriously thinking about buying the Ps4 collection in order to throw some monies at them.

I think Bioshock 2 might be my favorite, really good trilogy, with two really great games and a alright one.

hlhbk

I've dipped into the PC Bioshock/2 remasters and am suitably pleased with the fact that they're free and the quality of the new textures and performance that I'm seriously thinking about buying the Ps4 collection in order to throw some monies at them.

I think Bioshock 2 might be my favorite, really good trilogy, with two really great games and a alright one.

Why would you pay money for a half baked remaster that 2K couldn't even take the time to get right?

RedSwirl

Good God at those graphics settings. Anybody care to post a comparison to the original PC graphics settings?

Just tried BS1 (2 is still downloading). I was pleased to see it running at 1080p60 max settings on my laptop with a GTX 960M. Now I won't have to buy it for PS4.

Sweet Jesus. I have probably the same laptop.

Is 4K60 out of the question for my 1070 laptop?

Grief.exe

Good God at those graphics settings. Anybody care to post a comparison to the original PC graphics settings?

They are likely all there, just buried in an ini now rather than shown as a setting. I'd imagine the change is arbitrary as they are all turned to max by default.

The only thing definitely missing is the DX10 water effects.

kendrid

Banned
Are there any advanced video options to be found anywhere? My 1070 so far is pegging this game out at 144fps at 1440p. Using the volume wheel on my keyboard pauses the game too, and even crashed it once =/

I have a MS ergonomic keyboard and the volume up shows the map, volume down is the same as Escape. WTF?

Unai

They are likely all there, just buried in an ini now rather than shown as a setting. I'd imagine the change is arbitrary as they are all turned to max by default.

The only thing definitely missing is the DX10 water effects.

I wouldn't count on everything being there on ini files just yet. Even the mouse acceleration setting that worked editing the old .ini files don't work anymore in the remastered version.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
well, im thankful they had the courteousy not to remove the original games from my library.
if i ever feel like replaying i'll stick to those

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So I forget, how do you disable mouse acceleration in the original version? Fuck playing the remaster if you can't even turn that off in an .ini file.

Top Bottom