• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Mafia |OT| Keep Your Vote On The Payload

Sophia

can we like... not do the whole game mechanic speculation song and bullshit?

even in the simpler games we never learn anything, and this is going to be anything but a simpler game.

keep in mind that this game not only has 22 unique roles/abilitys, but 22 abilities that are (supposedly) balance between the two teams, which makes it very likely that shit is going to get weird.
i dont think its possible for us to really know anything until we are pretty explicitly told it.

so given that, i think extended discussion on this topic is only going to be totally useless, or giving an oppurtunity for scum to appear more active.

so hows about we just not.

I'm inclined to agree with you instinctively, particularly in regards for scum to be active.

Vote: Verelios

I was debating voting for him for posting nothing but fluff, but I wasn't expecting him to try to capitalize on my "clarification," so that helped me make up my mind.

Hmm... do you think he was being more fluffy than anyone else? I kind of see it and kind of don't

Kyanrute claimed ordinary town though.

I think Kyan was just trolling? I'm going to assume Sorian is not going bastard mod on us at any rate. :p

franconp

Kyanrute claimed ordinary town though.

Springfield%20Angry%20Mob.jpg

Ty4on

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure if any GAF game has used the mass claim technique yet so I wanted to see it in action.

If I had to be analytic about it, the reason why early claims are super risky in normal games is because the ratio of power town to vanilla town is low. A loss of a Cop, say, or a Doctor, on D1 is felt more keenly by the balance of the game. (Although I'd like to mention that D1 Doctor kills are something of a running joke now in GAFia? And it doesn't seem to matter much in terms of fation win rates).

But in a role madness game, where every one has powers, there's much lower risk of a "catastrophic misfire". When every person is guaranteed to have an ability, how much can it really matter to keep things under wraps? At the very least, it's going to be much more interesting to talk about than the usual huming and hawing for 2 days, until people scramble their votes in the last 5 hours.

I don't think most town roles are very powerful. I haven't played any role madness, but sounds like a recipe for disaster if town has multiple important roles even if scum is buffed.

What are roles are usually used in role madness?
Bunch of switchers? :p

Burbeting

Banned
Well, to be honest, I'm not sure if any GAF game has used the mass claim technique yet so I wanted to see it in action.

If I had to be analytic about it, the reason why early claims are super risky in normal games is because the ratio of power town to vanilla town is low. A loss of a Cop, say, or a Doctor, on D1 is felt more keenly by the balance of the game. (Although I'd like to mention that D1 Doctor kills are something of a running joke now in GAFia? And it doesn't seem to matter much in terms of fation win rates).

But in a role madness game, where every one has powers, there's much lower risk of a "catastrophic misfire". When every person is guaranteed to have an ability, how much can it really matter to keep things under wraps? At the very least, it's going to be much more interesting to talk about than the usual huming and hawing for 2 days, until people scramble their votes in the last 5 hours.

The problem with mass claim is that we don't know how much help Sorian has given scum and possible neutrals. I remember Ace Attorney mafia had neutral being given a fake claim that was a 'perfect alibi' in a sense.

So if everyone claims, what would that mean from scum perspective? They would know all the powers they are against, and could easily plan their night actions with it (use roleblocker to block doctor or similar). Doesn't that put town on disadvantage?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So if everyone claims, what would that mean from scum perspective? They would know all the powers they are against, and could easily plan their night actions with it (use roleblocker to block doctor or similar). Doesn't that put town on disadvantage?
They already know all they are up against. They know which heroes they have, and which powers they have. Everyone has access to the OW roster via external resources. It's a simple matter of deduction, on their part, whether we mass claim or not.

Btw I was talking about a role name claim (aka hero name), not power claim.
I'm drunk with power and want to force a mass role name claim to get everyone to shit their pants.

Sophia

Yes and no? The current flutters are, to me:

Bronx
Nin
WAMD
Verelios
Xam

Verelios just kinda jumped out at me from that list.

Hmm... not so sure I agree with WAMD being on there. She's not had a lot of posts, but there's been more than fluff a little bit.

franconp

As I said before I think it's a very bad idea to roleclaim so early in the game, having mass roleclaims sounds even worst. I can't think of a way where it would be beneficial to town.

Burbeting

Banned
I doubt Sorian would make it so simply as to make the heroes and their powers be connected too obviously. For all we know, we could have Reaper with a gossip chat power.

Hero name claim makes little more sense, thanks for the clarification.

Ourobolus

Banned
I doubt Sorian would make it so simply as to make the heroes and their powers be connected too obviously. For all we know, we could have Reaper with a gossip chat power.

I'm sure there are outliers, but so far myself, Ty4on, and Splinter have stated that our abilities make sense, lore-wise (assuming they are telling the truth, of course).

Haly

And for posterity's sake, my power also fits my hero.

Sophia

They already know all they are up against. They know which heroes they have, and which powers they have. Everyone has access to the OW roster via external resources. It's a simple matter of deduction, on their part, whether we mass claim or not.

Btw I was talking about a role name claim (aka hero name), not power claim.

How did you get to this conclusion? We have no hard indication that a hero's abilities are going to match the role powers we have in this game, but we have commentary straight from the moderator himself to not do this kind of flavor looking that you're doing right now.

Burbeting

Banned
I'm sure there are outliers, but so far myself, Ty4on, and Splinter have stated that our abilities make sense, lore-wise (assuming they are telling the truth, of course).

You did say that your power was also twisted Sorian logic. Maybe he found a lore justification to make gossip chat Reaper work :p (I'm not familiar with overwatch lore).

Ty4on

Not lore-wise, I've never played OW and just looked up the character.

Ourobolus

Banned
You did say that your power was also twisted Sorian logic. Maybe he found a lore justification to make gossip chat Reaper work :p (I'm not familiar with overwatch lore).
I obviously don't want to specifically state what it is, but it makes sense, lore-wise, it's just a little, uh, "different," Mafia-role-wise.

franconp

The problem in this case is that if he really make the connection it will be pretty obvious who has which role as soon as the second night phase when a couple of role PM begin to be revealed with the kills.

You all seem to forget I'm extremely dumb and slow
I only can really make good, thoughtful posts if I have some information, and we don't have much of anything right now

Ourobolus

Banned
For the record, I am not advocating Haly'a tactic. I don't think a mass claim is necessary until near the end of the game, if at all.

Haly

How did you get to this conclusion? We have no hard indication that a hero's abilities are going to match the role powers we have in this game, but we have commentary straight from the moderator himself to not do this kind of flavor looking that you're doing right now.

I took that to mean end of day flavors, kill flavors, randoms stuff popping up in the middle of the day like Bloodborne.

-This is your only warning. Flavor is just flavor. I play hard and fast with what I write and it is not indicative of any mechanics that may or may not be present. If you want to look like a fool reading into it, be my guest.
Cross referencing this with my role PM, my conclusion was that Overmafia flavor and Overmafia mechanics are separate, but not necessarily Overwatch mechanics and Overmafia mechanics. Thus far, comments by people on their own role PMs would lead me to believe this is the case.

I mean this is the whole reason why everyone hosts theme games rather than non-theme games, isn't it? They want to make in-jokes and references and clever little subversions, loosely a fan game based on some source material, rather than a pure Mafia mechanics game.

Hey, how do you guys feel about Ouro's posts today?
On further review, I'm leaning slightly scum for Ouro (but still need more information and interactions between others) because he has seemed to make a few mistakes while talking about his Role PM that I wouldn't expect a player of his experience to have

Ourobolus

Banned
On further review, I'm leaning slightly scum for Ouro (but still need more information and interactions between others) because he has seemed to make a few mistakes while talking about his Role PM that I wouldn't expect a player of his experience to have
I make plenty of mistakes. Let's do some basic math and you can see it again

Thoughts:

-You guys hate the peeking strat. Clearly.

-Ouro seems fairly normal to me.

-I can't comment much on this 'does the lore fit the PM?' discussion with zero knowledge of the game.

-Not sure what Kyan is up to with his claims of vanilla.

-So few of us are actually talking to each other.

-I miss blarg

Sophia

What are your gut reads so far? You've been kinda quiet so far.

I've been pulled away by everything unrelated to the game, hence the quietness. I've got a lot of gut reads on the people who are active (Burb and Ouro are slightly aggressive, you're playing your usual Day 1 game, asking questions, Haly's mass claim I dunno what to think) but not much stands out as a scum read now.

Bronx has ignored my question tho and that makes me sad. Also I find his faux (?) outrage silly

Ty4on

Ouro seems ok to me so far. In retrospect he was very agitated in Gafia 2 when anyone suspected him of anything. He seems super calm here in contrast.

Ourobolus

Banned
i'm not going to drink your kool-aid this game
But I'm not voting for you because I need a little bit more
I think Kyan is a bit more suspect, though, than you rn
BTW I am Zenyatta, the Neutral. I have to hit five people with an Orb of Harmony before I win.

aaaaammmm iiiiiiii

Sophia

Ouro seems ok to me so far. In retrospect he was very agitated in Gafia 2 when anyone suspected him of anything. He seems super calm here in contrast.

I don't really have much of a reference for Town!Ouro vs Scum!Ouro, so I can't really meta examine him much. :\

Ty4on

Anyone would be agitated with the shit Salva pulled on me.

It's more I'd find something completely harmless and you'd overreact to the point I think I preemptively started my posts with "Don't worry, I don't suspect you, but" :p

I've gotta read up on it because it could be exaggerated by my brain, but I remember several times thinking "Ouro is jumpy" in the game.

Top Bottom