• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ginger: Beyond the Crytal 3D platformer PS4/XB1/PC/WiiU

MauroNL

Ginger unifies various concepts of simulation games (as CastleVille) and platformer games (as Lost Vikings) with the particularity and main objective of eliminating the waiting time needed to collect resources. The resources are obtained by solving simple platformer puzzles.

The tranquility of the residents of the Village is interrupted by the explosion of an ancient crystal. The villagers are devastated and have been dispersed throughout other worlds. Ginger, our protagonist, enters these other worlds through a portal which has been opened by the crystal in order to rescue his friends and reconstruct the village. In order to find out how this disaster occurred, Ginger will improve his abilities through varied and different methods.

Official Website

Game Trailer

Looks quite fun, like an old school N64 platformer. Don't know why it's Spanish in the ingame shots but I imagine it'll be in English when it lauches. Should release early next year on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U and PC.

Tamanator

Are the developers Spanish? Is that why it's Spanish instead of English?

Looks very interesting. Will be fascinating to see how this turns out. The music and the look of it really does scream N64 platformer.

BDGAME

Cool.
The scenery looks good, but the characters not so much. Did they made it on purpose to remember a N64 game?

Fat4all

Banned
Are the developers Spanish? Is that why it's Spanish instead of English?

Looks very interesting. Will be fascinating to see how this turns out. The music and the look of it really does scream N64 platformer.

I think Badland Games is a distributor (maybe?), and the developer of this game is Bandland Indie, which seems to be their own little studio. Can't quite tell from where, but probably South American.

I need to dig a little more.

EDIT: Looks like Spain, actually. Madrid seems to be where their studio is.

Endless

I think Badland Games is a distributor (maybe?), and the developer of this game is Bandland Indie, which seems to be their own little studio. Can't quite tell from where, but probably South American.

I need to dig a little more.

EDIT: Looks like Spain, actually.

The developer is Drakhar Studio, and they're from Madrid, Spain.

MauroNL

Where did it say the game is coming to PS4/XB1/WiiU?

I only can find on Steam Greenlight, no mention on consoles.

Edit: Here, on a press release from a couple days ago http://www.develop-online.net/press...ampaign-for-ginger-beyond-the-crystal/0211946
When I googled it there was a few links saying it would be an eShop title, its listed on TrueAchievements for Xbox One and Giant Bomb has it listed for PS4, so I figured as much. The official website has no mention of platforms so it's still a bit weird and unclear.

Press release says: "Beyond the Crystal is planned for a 2016 release on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U. It is available to try at Madrid Games Week from October 1st through 4th."

Lijik

I love the kinda dopey look the main blue guy has.
Really interested to see how the town building/platforming elements tie together

Has anyone played this?

Comes out in two days on Steam, PS4 and XB1. I imagine this isn't the sort of game that'd be sent to review outlets etc. for early impressions.

The recent trailer looks fun though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdBMdoSQY2E

Also physical version for PS4's out next week:

91ho97zREUL._SL1500_.jpg

kevin1025

Banned
That's some Rare ass sounding music in the Steam page trailer (the one in the OP was taken down by the user, apparently).

I'm intrigued by this one.

I'm streaming a bit of this if anyone cares to check it out, seems not many people are playing it. Xbox One version. Was also provided a Steam key but it unlocks at release.

Edit: Donezo but you can see the replay here. Kind of basic 3D platformer with cute characters, okay graphics with a nice bokeh effect I wish more games used!, and really great music. The intro is kind of rough due to text being so slow with no way to speed it up aside from skipping it, the jumping is a little tight due to double jumps not providing that much more height, and the combat is just bad / not fun.

Very obviously influenced by Banjo Kazooie the most. Also found a backpack with a bird that looked nearly identical to Kazooie in it, but didn't get to collect it yet. Seems like the demographic this may be aiming at is kids, though there are lots of throwbacks to N64 games including Majora's Mask.

Dremorak

Banned
The player character movement has no weight, theres too much mid-jump movement. Its something I've noticed with a few indie 3d platformers (the only one I've seen get it right is yooka laylee, obviously they know what they're doing ;) ) Look at mario or banjo, the most important thing in a platformer is weight.

(Sidenote, I'm not a fan of the run animation, but thats just me)

Lijik

Might bite on steam since its launching at 12 bucks compared to the console versions 20. The streams/youtube vids ive seen make it look fun enough even if its not outstanding

The player character movement has no weight, theres too much mid-jump movement. Its something I've noticed with a few indie 3d platformers (the only one I've seen get it right is yooka laylee, obviously they know what they're doing ;) ) Look at mario or banjo, the most important thing in a platformer is weight.

(Sidenote, I'm not a fan of the run animation, but thats just me)

I dont want to go too far onto a detour but I think Donkey Kong 64 is a better example from Rare nailing the feeling of weight in a 3d platformer compared to Banjo (which I think is a little inconsistent). Each Kong feels distinct and handles the way youd expect from their size.

Oneself

Oh well, saw a 60fps video review (a terrible one I should say) and it confirmed that both console versions suffer from attrocious frame drops.
As in; from 60 to around 15-20.

I sadly won't buy for technical reasons. The game itself looks good and very fun... Too bad it runs like a beta of Firewatch. Get your shit straight devs, wtf is this?

Top Bottom