• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermit7

I have a quick question, is there a feature that automatically turns your phone on at a specific time, and then shuts it off at a specific time? On my Blackberry I am able to do this to conserve battery life, and before I upgrade I was wondering if there was a similar feature.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Someone please give me a quick rundown because I don't want to read through 50 pages of people's random recommendations. What is currently the best free app for:

locating your parked car

subscribing/downloading/listening to podcasts (there's Google Listen but I've read latest update has some serious bugs)

task killer (I'm totally new to Android... is this kind of thing a good idea?)

Sanjuro

NomarTyme said:
Be patient...
25p4fev.gif

El Papa

You guys need to try Alchemy. Trust me, just get it.

Also, Space Physics and The Elements are awesome.

Others installed on my phone:

Toss It
Jewels
Basket Ball Lite
Bebbled
Klonike Solitaire (the non-ad version can be found in Solitaires Arena by the same dev).

demon said:
Someone please give me a quick rundown because I don't want to read through 50 pages of people's random recommendations. What is currently the best free app for:

locating your parked car

subscribing/downloading/listening to podcasts (there's Google Listen but I've read latest update has some serious bugs)

for your car theres an app called carrr matey

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
NightHawk17 said:
for your car theres an app called carrr matey
Yeah I just downloaded that, sounds like it's the best app for that. Almost wanna go park my car somewhere else tomorrow just to try it. :D (new android phone owner)

jonnybryce said:
Anyone know an app to see what's using the internal memory? My Droid is down to 60mb and I don't know why. None of the apps or caches are using anything high. Doesn't add up.

Id also like something like this except also for the sd card.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
hermit7 said:
I have a quick question, is there a feature that automatically turns your phone on at a specific time, and then shuts it off at a specific time? On my Blackberry I am able to do this to conserve battery life, and before I upgrade I was wondering if there was a similar feature.
Settings Profile or Setting Profiles. I forget where the plural goes.

Is there an app that lets you change MP3 songs while you're doing other things, like web browsing? Can I slide down the notification bar to display Pause, Forward, etc controls?

Jayge

Bboy AJ said:
Settings Profile or Setting Profiles. I forget where the plural goes.

Is there an app that lets you change MP3 songs while you're doing other things, like web browsing? Can I slide down the notification bar to display Pause, Forward, etc controls?
It's Setting Profiles. It's a bit ugly but it's powerful.

andycapps

Bboy AJ said:

I don't think there's anything like that yet.. The default music app has pause and skip as well as the album art on the screen lock. You could do a Music widget from Android (or HTC if you have an HTC phone) but you'd have to go back to your home screen. Short answer is, I believe the best that Music and Doubletwist do is show what song is currently playing under the notification tab. You can't control it from there yet. I actually went back to the default music app since discovering the widget and how you can control it from the pause screen. Doubletwist doesn't have either of those, yet. I'll still keep it since I'm sure they'll have it eventually and I won't have to pay for it once they start charging.

And yes, whoever asked for game recommendations. Robo Defense is a fantastic tower defense game. Air Control, Tetronimo, and Andjumble are a few more off the top of my head. Also, ACV is a good comic book viewer. May also be called Droid Comic Viewer on the store.

Epix

Latest Froyo pushed to Nexus One is the Froyo official release:

The wait for Froyo is over, folks -- well, at least for those of you with the Google Nexus One. The Android 2.2 update that was pushed out in the afternoon -- FRF85B -- indeed is the official release. And just like we said they would, Google announced the update today:

Starting today, Nexus One users will begin to receive the Android 2.2 (codenamed Froyo) over-the-air software update on their phones. This update provides some great new features including support for making your handset a portable hotspot and support for Adobe Flash within the browser. For a complete list of everything we’ve included in Android 2.2, please see the Android 2.2 Platform Highlights.

In order to access the update, you will receive a message on your phone's notification bar. Just download the update, wait for it to install, and you should be all set. This update will be rolled out gradually to phones - and most users will receive the notification by the end of the week . We hope you enjoy these new features.

If you're running a custom ROM, you might not get the update pushed to you, so head to the nearest forums (oh, look, here are some) to find the manual updates. [Google]

http://www.androidcentral.com/latest-froyo-build-nexus-one-official-android-22-update

gcubed

demon said:

locating your parked car

dont waste the space and effort on getting a task killer, it's not needed

SimleuqiR

Quick question...and this might be better asked in the developers thread but, is there any way I can view a "crash" log on Android?

In the past two days I've experience a really bad "freeze" on my phone while surfing the web with xScope and listening to music with Stereo bluetooth. Even after updating to the Froyo (Final) build. The screen completely locks up after leaving the browser to jump to another app (Twitter, Facebook, etc.). The music keeps playing, even though the phone is frozen, but I can't control playback, skip, pause, etc.

Only way to get the phone to work is taking out the battery and rebooting.

I'm thinking it's xScope causing the problem. I know the browser has had issues with Flash and playing video, so it's not like there couldn't be a bug there affecting me.

I know there was a memory leak in the stock browser in one of the Froyo updates (betas), but I don't think this is the same thing.

jiien

SimleuqiR said:
Quick question...and this might be better asked in the developers thread but, is there any way I can view a "crash" log on Android?

In the past two days I've experience a really bad "freeze" on my phone while surfing the web with xScope and listening to music with Stereo bluetooth. Even after updating to the Froyo (Final) build. The screen completely locks up after leaving the browser to jump to another app (Twitter, Facebook, etc.). The music keeps playing, even though the phone is frozen, but I can't control playback, skip, pause, etc.

Only way to get the phone to work is taking out the battery and rebooting.

I'm thinking it's xScope causing the problem. I know the browser has had issues with Flash and playing video, so it's not like there couldn't be a bug there affecting me.

I know there was a memory leak in the stock browser in one of the Froyo updates (betas), but I don't think this is the same thing.

Sorry I can't offer you more help, but you have to download an app for that. I can't remember the name...but I remember someone on xda-developers mentioned it. I just searched on the Market for "error", "log", and "error log", but I can't find it :( If I can find the post, I'll let you know, but hopefully someone else knows more.

Anyway, the app lets you see logs for crashes.

SimleuqiR

jiien said:
Sorry I can't offer you more help, but you have to download an app for that. I can't remember the name...but I remember someone on xda-developers mentioned it. I just searched on the Market for "error", "log", and "error log", but I can't find it :( If I can find the post, I'll let you know, but hopefully someone else knows more.

Anyway, the app lets you see logs for crashes.

iapetus said:
Or just get the Android SDK, plug in your phone and type "adb logcat" into a shell.

I think I've read about the app now that you mention it...is it the same thing used to get the OTA download links?

If anything, I will install the SDK. I really want to know what's causing these crashes.

jiien

SimleuqiR said:
I think I've read about the app now that you mention it...is it the same thing used to get the OTA download links?

If anything, I will install the SDK. I really want to know what's causing these crashes.

I honestly don't remember, sorry. I've been searching for it/something, but I can't find anything.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mikasangelos said:
from what i heard from the iPhone community its not bad. seldomly turns off or stops playing music.
ahh, i just tried it for a few minutes. seems stable for me, wish the buttons were larger but it works well. thanks :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
demon said:

locating your parked car

Locating your car, I'd just suggest using the Google Map app for that. Open Maps, get your location, tap on your location icon to bring up the pop up of the address, tap on that and then star the location on its info page.

I haven't seen any serious bugs with Google Listen since its latest update. A few flaky things, but nothing too bad. What kind of things have you read/heard?

Like someone else said, I wouldn't bother with a task killer.

andycapps

kaching said:
I haven't seen any serious bugs with Google Listen since its latest update. A few flaky things, but nothing too bad. What kind of things have you read/heard?

Listen has been great for me and I haven't had any issues like people have been complaining of (EVO user). I like Listen a lot, hopefully they can integrate that soon into the default Music player so your podcasts can be managed in there.

SimleuqiR

aLogcat is the APP!

Can't make heads or tails of what I see. :lol I might need to edumicate myself on how to read the log file. :lol
If I get the crash again I will check and see what is says.

Salaadin

ICallItFutile said:
How much of a drain on battery are live wallpapers generally?

Also I like it, but it seems to lag fairly often. Droid Incredible here.

I get the lag too on my DI. I dont know if its our phones or the wallpaper itself.
Its cool to show off once in a while but I think seeing a speeding Mario would annoy me after a while.

Jim

Salaadin said:
I get the lag too on my DI. I dont know if its our phones or the wallpaper itself.
Its cool to show off once in a while but I think seeing a speeding Mario would annoy me after a while.

It's supposed to lag so it doesn't take priority away from more important functions or the phone UI (the Mario AI uses a lot of CPU/battery according to the devnotes). You can override that I think.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Jim said:
It's supposed to lag so it doesn't take priority away from more important functions or the phone UI (the Mario AI uses a lot of CPU/battery according to the devnotes). You can override that I think.

I'm having terrible battery problems, so I'll have to opt out. I really wish SetCPU would be optimized for the Incredible.

ICallItFutile said:
How much of a drain on battery are live wallpapers generally?

Also I like it, but it seems to lag fairly often. Droid Incredible here.

They're all different. Most official Google live wallpapers don't make much of a difference, Droid's Neural Network uses a total of 2% battery from charged to dead. Many of them from the market aren't so smart, use a lot of resources and the battery will die super fast.

This is one of those live wallpapers. I'll stick with Neural Network.

jiien

SimleuqiR said:
aLogcat is the APP!

Can't make heads or tails of what I see. :lol I might need to edumicate myself on how to read the log file. :lol
If I get the crash again I will check and see what is says.

Oh damn. I was actually going to suggest "aLog" yesterday, because that's what I thought I remembered, but I searched for that and couldn't find anything. Good thing you found it though, nice.

So I just bought The Wars and I'm having a blast with it and GalaxIR.

Anymore gaming recommendations?

Edit: I have a Samsung Galaxy Spica btw.

andycapps

ChackanKun said:
Yep. And Retro Defense.

Air Control, Tetronimo, andJumble, Shooty, Astro Commander is pretty good (work in progress). Honestly I don't have a ton of time so Robo Defense, Air Control, and andJumble are pretty much all I play. :lol

tabsina

El Papa said:
You guys need to try Alchemy. Trust me, just get it.

Also, Space Physics and The Elements are awesome.

Others installed on my phone:

Toss It
Jewels
Basket Ball Lite
Bebbled
Klonike Solitaire (the non-ad version can be found in Solitaires Arena by the same dev).

what have you done!!! i know what i'm going to be doing on my 15hr flight from melbourne to la on saturday :p

Jayge

Not sure where this should go, maybe in both threads, but since it's software-based I'll throw it here.

http://androidcommunity.com/googles-gingerbread-details-leak-1ghz-processor-minimum-20100630/

GOOGLE’S GINGERBREAD DETAILS LEAK: 1GHZ PROCESSOR MINIMUM

30 JUNE 2010 BY EVAN SELLECK

Even with the launch of Froyo right around the corner for many devices out there (“right around the corner” is a relative term), those who follow Android enough know that the next build of the Google mobile Operating System is already in the works within the Android team. Codenamed “Gingerbread,” as soon as the masses learned about it, the questions already began. And while we know that the User Interface is going to get an overhaul, there were still plenty of questions left unanswered. Well, things are starting to clear up.

Thanks to Mobile-Review, details just came in. Fast and heavy. What should you expect? This: Gingerbread is going to launch some time in the middle of October. Maybe around the 15th or 16th, and the first handsets to feature the new OS will hit shelves just in time for the holiday shopping season, or November/December. And, just like Windows Phone 7, Android will now have a minimum specification to run its platform. Those would be: 1GHz processor and 512MB of RAM; and your device will need to have a display that’s 3.5-inches or more.
There will be support for 1280×760 resolution for handsets that rock a 4-inch display or higher. And, what’s more interesting, is that the upgraded UX will actually look like the updated 3D Gallery application that was released on the Nexus One. Apparently, that look and feel, with lofty transitions, will be embedded throughout the whole Operating System. And, lastly, it sounds like Android is splitting into two teams, essentially. Gingerbread, or 3.0, will be or high-end devices, while lower-end gadgets will stick to Android 2.1/2.2.
If any of this turns out to be true, and we have no reason to think that it won’t be, then we’re even more excited for Gingerbread than we were before. We’re hoping some official details start to break cover soon. We’ll keep our ear to the ground, so as soon as we hear more, we’ll pass it along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom