• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The other thing is, he talks about suing some company called Crystal Dynamics, but that's the difference: Crystal Dynamics is a company; we are not. We're just a bunch of people who have volunteered to make a game together. We made up a name for ourselves that happens to use a word that he uses in his business name. We're essentially a club — we're private citizens who aren't out to make money but just to do an activity (make a computer game) on a regular basis. A business can't sue a club for infringing on its name. I mean WTF. It's like the common sense isn't getting through to him.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quick, somebody tell EA to make a game with the word 'Grimoire' in the title so they can take down two dicks. :lol

rSpooky

I still say put him on Ignore and move forward. Keep gathering data on this man and if he pushes on we will push back. Clearly the man is a troll or has a mental issue which makes him unaware in what capacity we are working here( i.e. we are not a business/professional/for profit) even if we were he does not have a case. And since I am sure he be reading this .. hi there.

lets just make our game and not get distracted by this weird individual. if all else fails we will block AUS IP's from the game/site and have people that have a problem with that contact him.
I am going to keep doing my parts.. peace.

Oh and for the man who threatens us.. the bioshock pic is part of the fair use act and has nothing more to do with our game other then being part of the inspiration story for the game as it was made in parody in the origins thread.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Using that Bioshock photoshop to promote the game? In what universe did that happen?
It's a photoshop made by someone for fun, before the game development even began. I'm not even sure who did, nor who put it on a wiki that - by the way - got abandoned before the game was announced officially. No one used it to promote anything.

Well, this certaintly took a turn for the entertaining.

The guy should spend less time dickwaving on the internet and more time finishing his pathetic big game developer fever dream by actually releasing the piece of shit.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I have no idea how that game is, it required quite a lot of detective work to even get to know it exists, but no reason to trash it.

This whole litigation, anyway, is ridiculous because:

1. We're not a company, just a group of unpaid volunteers making a free game for free
2. His trademark was filed in Australia (isn't valid worldwide) and we have nothing to do with Australia
3. His trademark expired in 1998 and was never renewed
4. He trademarked a common use word that's just a part of our name, and is - by the way - used in several commercial games too (Grim Grimoire, Grimoire of the Rift, etc.)
5. We're not profiting from the name Grimoire Assembly Forge in any way
6. We're not profiting from the CafePress account he mentioned, and even if we did we would be profiting off Dudebro, not Grimoire Assembly Forge
7. The Bioshock photoshop is a parody image edit made by someone and not used to promote anything, twisting it into something it's clearly not is pointless

Pretty sure I'm forgetting something. But anyway the picture is kinda clear I guess :p

V_Ben

Banned
Danthrax said:
The other thing is, he talks about suing some company called Crystal Dynamics, but that's the difference: Crystal Dynamics is a company; we are not. We're just a bunch of people who have volunteered to make a game together. We made up a name for ourselves that happens to use a word that he uses in his business name. We're essentially a club — we're private citizens who aren't out to make money but just to do an activity (make a computer game) on a regular basis. A business can't sue a club for infringing on its name. I mean WTF. It's like the common sense isn't getting through to him.

uhh, this bit sounds crazy to me;
You are going to change the name of your development team. I began litigation with Crystal Dynamics in 1998 and pursued them to the day of their bankruptcy with court orders and appearance dates right up until their doors closed. We were the ones who required their web host to block their site with a court order.

..Crystal Dynamics (The people who now make Tomb Raider games) are still alive and well. The only other company which goes by that name is a construction company, which I highly doubt he sued. I think he's just crazy. extremely crazy. :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
See, I don't even know how to respond to him because I just don't know where to begin. Or if I should just ignore him outright. Or simply warn him that his next e-mail will trigger a call to the Australian authorities for harassment and making threats.

I'm gonna go to sleep; you guys formulate a plan and I'll see you in 6 hours. -_-

Jocchan said:
I have no idea how that game is, it required quite a lot of detective work to even get to know it exists, but no reason to trash it.
Of course not. But taking into account, that it's spent 10+ years in development (whatever that entails) and is being made solely by a neocon, racist nutcase, I think it's safe to say, that this won't be the best game ever. Odds are we'll never know, seeing how this whole thing reeks of vaporware.

His game's website is not even up, in contrast to his blog.

V_Ben

Banned
Danthrax said:
See, I don't even know how to respond to him because I just don't know where to begin. Or if I should just ignore him outright. Or simply warn him that his next e-mail will trigger a call to the Australian authorities for harassment and making threats.

I'm gonna go to sleep; you guys formulate a plan and I'll see you in 6 hours. -_-

Will do. I'll stew on it and see what I can think up.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kong Fisso said:
Of course not. But taking into account, that it's spent 10+ years in development (whatever that entails) and is being made solely by a neocon, racist nutcase, I think it's safe to say, that this won't be the best game ever. Hard to say if we'll ever know, seeing how this whole thing reeks of vaporware.

His game's website is not even up, in contrast to his blog.
Nineteen years apparently, which makes that Bob guy look like an amateur.
His website, by the way, is sporting a completely different logo (Golden Era Games), which makes it kinda hard for anyone to confuse us with him (you know, one of the most important details in trademark infringement litigations).

vulva

Man, Cleve isn't anything to be worried about. He's mildly insane and has no legal grounds anyways. Just have a chuckle at the emails he sends, then move on.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Happy Phantom said:
Man, Cleve isn't anything to be worried about. He's mildly insane and has no legal grounds anyways. Just have a chuckle at the emails he sends, then move on.

Yeah we'll try. It's disconcerting to get these harassing e-mails, though.

Well this is definitely not what I expected to come back to after a nice weekend in Atlantic City. Oh well, seems like a minor inconvenience at worst and free publicity at best.

V_Ben

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Noise Pollution :D

wow. I really like it. there's a very retro feel to it, which is awesome. Also, it feels extremely industrial, which is a great fit for certain levels in the game. Awesome job man.

John

What's his email address? I think he'll be surprised when he finds out that he joined a Freecycle group in New Jersey and posted Craigslist ads all over the world

V_Ben said:
wow. I really like it. there's a very retro feel to it, which is awesome. Also, it feels extremely industrial, which is a great fit for certain levels in the game. Awesome job man.

Yay!! :D Thanks alot. I had fun playing around with the drums!

Clear influence was "X-Men: Clone Wars" for Sega Genesis. :D

V_Ben

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Yay!! :D Thanks alot. I had fun playing around with the drums!

Clear influence was "X-Men: Clone Wars" for Sega Genesis. :D

I can tell you enjoyed playing with the drum beats. They were pretty damn good. And the X-Men: Clone Wars influence certainly was palpable :)

Sill4

Danthrax said:
Yeah we'll try. It's disconcerting to get these harassing e-mails, though.
Dude, just blacklist him.

This idiot is not even worthy of the effort it takes to insult him. Just ignore him, and if the harassment gets to crazy, do like you said and notify the proper authorities.

Also, I'm low on cash and I won't be able to afford my anti-screaming medication :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Aww, my girlfriend isn't at the top of this page :lol

howtojoin.png

If you want to help:
1. Follow this FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
2. PM Danthrax your e-mail to be added to the staff list, Dropbox and the Google Waves
3. Contact your team lead to get assignments
4. Make sure you keep following the waves, this thread, and read the GDD
5. Remember that no one will PM you asking to do X or Y (we're too many), if you need assignments/feedback/direction/info/a beer/whatever just PM your lead
6. Use the IRC channel (more details below) to stay in touch with the team!!!
7. ???
8. PROFIT!

Useful links:
Sign-up FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
Dudebro Game Design Document: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_8dv7w2pfm
Dudebro official website: http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro/
Dudebro Wiki: http://dudebro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
CafePress Store: http://www.cafepress.com/dudebro2

And CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES because I or another Dudebro volunteer may have PMed you about something important!

IRC details:
server: irc.gamecubecafe.com
channel: #dudebro

thank you for your attention and have a fantastic day!

Spoo

Drinky Crow said:
cleve is patently insane, and has been since the days of c.s.i.p.rpg on usenet. ignore him.

Well shit, if he has the patent on that too, how are all the other loonies gonna escape his crack legal team? :lol

Drinky Crow said:
cleve is patently insane, and has been since the days of c.s.i.p.rpg on usenet. ignore him.

threatened.png

Cleve and Derek smart locked in a padded room, who'd tap out first?

An unstoppable force meets its immovable object?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Salazar said:
I wish I could deport Cleve from Australia.

Citizen's deportation. There's an idea.
No no, please keep him in British Prison Island Australia.

Wonder why he left from LA to there, was it cheaper to make a business there in the early 90's?

Salazar

Drkirby said:
Wonder why he left from LA to there, was it cheaper to make a business there in the early 90's?

He seems like the type who might live in a remote shack. Perhaps an abandoned opal mine.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Just finished reading some feedback from QA.
Thanks everyone, this is exactly what we need, especially criticism and suggestions (and it's the reason why we started with QA so early). Be as honest and brutal as possible, and we'll end up with a better product.

By the way, most of the suggestions I read were already planned :)

Cooljeanius, the lack of realtime shadows is due to the fact we're currently using the free version of Unity, which doesn't have them (currently, Unity 3 - coming this Summer - is rumored to have them in the free version too). The final game will have them.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Cleve "suing" over copyright infringement on his completely non-existent vaporware "RPG" is just going to make Dudebro even more epic. In all seriousness, everyone should spend some time perusing his blog entries. They are astounding.

Jocchan said:
Cooljeanius, the lack of realtime shadows is due to the fact we're currently using the free version of Unity, which doesn't have them (currently, Unity 3 - coming this Summer - is rumored to have them in the free version too). The final game will have them.
OK, good. Wonder why I remember the game having them previously, though...

Zomba13

Just want to say I've been following this thread for a while and been getting a good lol at that Cleve guy. You guys really need a reference to it in the game, not something like a boss or anything but maybe a passing mention or something about getting sued for infringing on the dude trademark (I don't know)

Also if you need any more QA testers I'd love to help if I can. I enjoy trying to break games and try everything out if it's any help.

John

Zomba13 said:
Just want to say I've been following this thread for a while and been getting a good lol at that Cleve guy. You guys really need a reference to it in the game, not something like a boss or anything but maybe a passing mention or something about getting sued for infringing on the dude trademark (I don't know)
that'd be giving him too much attention

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
John said:
that'd be giving him too much attention
Agreed.

Zomba13 said:
Also if you need any more QA testers I'd love to help if I can. I enjoy trying to break games and try everything out if it's any help.
Get in touch with dentoomw. The current cycle of QA is supposed to finish today, but I doubt it would be a problem.

While waiting for Starcraft 2's eventual domination over my life, I created another track and added it to dropbox. It's called "Almost There". Title not related to the next 13 hours that I have to kill for SC2... or maybe it is...!

Danthrax said:
I actually feel more at ease hearing that from you, Drinky. Thanks.

seriously, he has been harassing his various self-perceived "nemeses" online since 93-ish on and off, and none of it has ever amounted to anything other than hi-larity. his online crusade against steve bauman, the then-eic of computer games and strategy plus magazine, is epic. he's sound and fury, and he loves the sight of the text he pens.

that said, ignore his threats. i'd advise against mocking him in-game, too, simply because he *is* insane. the crazy get fuel from the validation that comes with antagonism, but brief pity and deliberate disregard withers their sad selves where they stand.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Drinky Crow said:
seriously, he has been harassing his various self-perceived "nemeses" online since 93-ish on and off, and none of it has ever amounted to anything other than hi-larity. his online crusade against steve bauman, the then-eic of computer games and strategy plus magazine, is epic. he's sound and fury, and he loves the sight of the text he pens.

that said, ignore his threats. i'd advise against mocking him in-game, too, simply because he *is* insane. the crazy get fuel from the validation that comes with antagonism, but brief pity and deliberate disregard withers their sad selves where they stand.
Thanks, man. And I agree about not mocking him.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
perfectchaos007 said:
So is this game still targeted for a Summer release? ( summer ends September 21st )
No, the release date was revised to "2010" a couple of months ago.
Things got longer than expected, especially the production of art assets.

Top Bottom