• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office [OT] 07•30/8•1•10 - Nolan's dream is still alive, Schmucks eat cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

35isio0.jpg
30tt65y.jpg
2m2uywj.jpg
1zbzdki.jpg
dmcq5j.jpg

rottenwatch box office:
5kn6h1.gif
87% Inception
acpg11.gif
51% Dinner for Schmucks
23keyv8.gif
57% Salt
28a88lx.gif
79% Despicable Me
2jaamxi.gif
15% Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore
6y385c.gif
26% Charlie St. Cloud

metacritic box office:

*click pic(s) for source*

'Inception' tops B.O.'s fresh trio. Paramount's 'Dinner' plays best among new releases

Warner Bros.' mind-thriller "Inception" held enough sway at the domestic B.O. to top a trio of wide releases this weekend, posting an estimated $27.5 million at 3,545 locations in its third frame, which lifted Stateside totals to an impressive $193.3 million.

Among the new entries, Paramount's laffer "Dinner for Schmucks," toplining Steve Carell and Paul Rudd, fared best, with an estimated $23.3 million at 2,911 engagements.

Warner's 3D family re-tread "Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore" debuted in the No. 5 spot with $12.5 million at 3,705, followed closely by "Charlie St. Cloud," which Universal launched at 2,718 locations for an estimated weekend take of $12.1 million.

Despite a crowded frame, the weekend saw several standout perfs from repeat offenders, including Sony's "Salt" and U's 3D toon "Despicable Me." "Salt," which claimed the No. 3 spot behind "Dinner," fell 47% in its second outing, with an estimated $19.3 million; "Despicable" dropped a mere 34%, grossing $15.5 million.

*click pic for full list/source*

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, only a 36% drop. Good hold.

also i hope charlie st cloud never makes another cent

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
harSon said:
Jesus, I forgot how much of a drop off he has suffered in the looks department.
I actually think he looks a lot more handsome nowadays. Manly.

thekad

Banned
the walrus said:
So it tops out at 200 million... just like Batman Begins!

the walrus said:
Come on - 60 million opening is merely okay, not "very good". I mean, it will struggle to make a profit, and if a sequel doesn't happen then WB will have essentially gained nothing.

leo-dicaprio-bar-rafaeli-basketball.jpg

once again, because it deserves it:

the walrus said:
Who has compared this to the sequel of a big name franchise?

Also: Cinemascore, just a B+. Face it, this will have slightly better than average legs (40% drops at best)

Dead

well not really...yet
DanielPlainview said:
How the fuck is Grown Ups making so much money? One of the worst movies of the summer :/
Its perfectly targeted towards middle america

Barrett2

DanielPlainview said:
How the fuck is Grown Ups making so much money? One of the worst movies of the summer :/
Grown men urinating in a pool = BO gold

How did Dinner For Schmucks cost so much? Jesus.

MetalAlien

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
Not everyone is 22 with no kids.

Middle aged parents will find it funny.

Sapiens

Nolan is going to have some serious Carte Blanche for 3atman.:D :D

Can't wait to see what happens with this movie!

lawblob said:
Grown men urinating in a pool = BO gold

Apparently, it was retooled after poor audience reactions.

Steve Carrell is probably bringing in a pretty decent paycheck as well.

I can't imagine Rudd gets even half of what Carrell gets, but he probably gets a good chunk.

At least it's cheaper than the 100+ million Evan Almighty cost.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
lawblob said:
Grown ups is 80million. The entire lot of comedians are terribly overpriced. The more they get in a film, the more it costs. :lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wow, NOW things are starting to get impressive. The word of mouth on Inception is insane though, pretty much every single person has positive things to say about it. People that didn't even know the film existed a month ago ended up seeing it based on word of mouth.

Honestly, I wasn't even sure that it would get #1 last week against Salt. But for it to beat that AND a new comedy with Steve Carrell. Let's be honest, as much as GAF wanted Inception to succeed, most of us weren't sure it would get #1 during week 1 going up against the Nic Cage & Disney combo.

Blablurn

DanielPlainview said:

i'm more surprised about the low production costs. especially if you look at all the (more or less) famous actors in this movie.

Solo

Second straight week that DM and Veidt have responded with Leonardo Nolan pics within a minute of the box office thread's creation. Almost as if they were waiting for it...

Sanjuro

Solo said:
Second straight week that DM and Veidt have responded with Leonardo Nolan pics within a minute of the box office thread's creation. Almost as if they were waiting for it...
...it just started as a simple idea...

DMczaf

Solo said:

Or was it actually a week....or a decade

Solo

TDK + Inception + guaranteed hit in Batman 3 has probably secured Nolan carte blanche with WB for the rest of his life. I just hope he puts down his pen and stays behind the camera.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Solo said:

And Solo waltzes in conveniently in the middle of the thread. First or last you're still in a box office thread on a gaming message board on the internet.

Solo

duderon said:
And Solo waltzes in conveniently in the middle of the thread. First or last you're still in a box office thread on a gaming message board on the internet.

Damn, son, you give good statement-of-the-obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom