• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Announces "Puyo Puyo Tetris" for PS4/Switch

japtor

I got a Vita TV for this a while back, then the PS4 one when my brother got a PS4 (...and that copy got stolen). Definitely picking this up for Switch.
So you mean, there's Tetris (no other grid on the screen, just the standard Tetris single player grid) like the original Gameboy Tetris? I bought some other Tetris game that was supposed to have regular Tetris a few years ago and it ended up not being regular Tetris (it has some other things mixed in) so I ended up returning it. If it has basic, standard Tetris, then I'll actually pick this up.
Yeah there's multiple modes. Plain Tetris, plain Puyo, and the mixed ones. Tetris mode is bog standard Tetris from what I remember. It has new standard mechanics (like t spins and infinite spin) but it's basically just Tetris still.

(I think technically Gameboy Tetris might've had a smaller grid but this has the now standard size whatever it's been for a while now. It's plain Tetris)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
no digital PS4 version is straight up bullshit.
My understanding is the Tetris Company has some weird rule about not having "competing" versions of Tetris on the same system, i.e. that Ubisoft version. So retail is fine (as Tetris Ultimate was digital only), but digital would result in two versions of the game. Yes, it's rather silly, but that's the reason.

It's also why in Japan, there was no digital versions for certain consoles (I want to say 3DS & one other). Though if someone wants to clear things up, go ahead.

Guess I'm getting Switch since it'll have that special launch day version with the keychains, plus it would make for a great "let's quick play together" game via having 2P always ready. I already have it on Vita & I'd rather get it on PS4 for more trophies, but meh.

Protome

This is the one game that makes me interested in the Switch's local multiplayer where each player uses a single joycon. I used to play Puyo Puyo Tetris on the office PS4 at lunches with friends. That's not an option at my current job (no PS4 there) so this is going to be awesome.

Probably my most anticipated Switch game. I was thinking about importing the game, but couldn't decide between a PS4 version that I'd rarely play, but maybe relax in front of in a comfy chair in front of the TV, or the Vita version so I can play in bed while listening to podcasts. Literally the perfect Switch game for me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Also, based on the trailer, it sounds like Sega took the time/money to actually dub the game as well.

.......this is going to be interesting when I replay though the story mode.

Cleve

Well that's another switch title to look forward to. Hope it makes it out in the us in a reasonable time

Now if only someone would bring back Tetris Battle Gaiden. I've seen Giant Bomb play that and it looks cool. Giant Bomb also played a lot of Puyo Puyo Tetris and Windjammers in the past few years and look what happened. So maybe there's hope.

Lkr

Definitely interested in this. Never played anything puyo puyo but the name Tetris was enough to grab me. Not sure if I'm going physical or digital with switch games yet though so I don't know if I should preorder on Amazon lol

Randomizer

already owned the import for a year and a half or two. Welp, time to buy again to see what the storyline actually is.
Lol it actually has a story?

Anyway always in for some Puyo Puyo. Was always my favourite puzzle game followed by Puzzle League. Nothing better than building a massive chain and destroying an opponent in seconds.

magnetic

Easily my favorite Tetris release, even for Tetris alone.

And Puyo is fantastic too, though I prefer 20th anniversary or 2. But the mixing is definitely a brilliant idea.

Very happy this game is coming out, Puyo being so underrated in the west has always been a shame.

My understanding is the Tetris Company has some weird rule about not having "competing" versions of Tetris on the same system, i.e. that Ubisoft version. So retail is fine (as Tetris Ultimate was digital only), but digital would result in two versions of the game. Yes, it's rather silly, but that's the reason.

It's also why in Japan, there was no digital versions for certain consoles (I want to say 3DS & one other). Though if someone wants to clear things up, go ahead.

Guess I'm getting Switch since it'll have that special launch day version with the keychains, plus it would make for a great "let's quick play together" game via having 2P always ready. I already have it on Vita & I'd rather get it on PS4 for more trophies, but meh.

I believe Nintendo had to take their own version of Tetris off of the 3DS VC for this reason.

steveovig

I'm looking forward to this but I just need to figure out how to get semi-competant at Puyo Puyo. I just can't seem to figure out what to do minus the basic concept of the game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I believe Nintendo had to take their own version of Tetris off of the 3DS VC for this reason.
Not to mention Tetris Axis off the eShop as well, as Tetris Ultimate was on 3DS as well.

Has this been confirmed for Europe also?
Yes it has.

Also, I can't help but laugh at the fact a puyo puyo & tetris crossover is rated E10+. SORRY KIDS, we recommend you be at least 10 years old to play this version of Tetris....which I'm sure is mainly due to the story mode dialogue.

S2

I'm looking forward to this but I just need to figure out how to get semi-competant at Puyo Puyo. I just can't seem to figure out what to do minus the basic concept of the game.
Try these guides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJszHBGaYh0
https://puyonexus.com/wiki/Main_Page

Also, I can't help but laugh at the fact a puyo puyo & tetris crossover is rated E10+. SORRY KIDS, we recommend you be at least 10 years old to play this version of Tetris....which I'm sure is mainly due to the story mode dialogue.
Hm, I think there's like mild cursing in some of the character shouts. You also have "Satan" creeping on Arle who's only like 15(?). And Schezo has an entire postgame chapter dedicated to having the other characters call him a pervert.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hm, I think there's like mild cursing in some of the character shouts. You also have "Satan" creeping on Arle who's only like 15(?). And Schezo has an entire postgame chapter dedicated to having the other characters call him a pervert.
It's E10+ for "comic mischief" & "mild suggestive themes", & I'm guessing it's more among the latter considering how many E rated games get away with "comic mischief" as their only description & what you've mentioned, which would fit well into "suggestive themes".

As far as SEGA's output for Switch, this is what I want most from them:

Multiplayer gaming with 8 Switch systems, that's pretty awesome.

And this man was on stage:

My greatest desire for Switch is for an HD Remaster of Daytona USA 2, with 8-players sitting together getting drunk, having a total blast.

Nintendo, SEGA / M2, do this, and I will personally buy 4 of those Switches....Even if I have to switch to Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

I'm fucking serious.

You have my sword

Lol it actually has a story?

Anyway always in for some Puyo Puyo. Was always my favourite puzzle game followed by Puzzle League. Nothing better than building a massive chain and destroying an opponent in seconds.

Yes it did have a story. I can't speak the language of the holy gods of jojo so I just thought they were talking some down to earth bro shit and were talking about tripping the wave fantastic to get ready for the sega invasion. I'm sure the storyline for Puyo Puyo VS Tetris is really a set piece for Sega to strike back against the terrible forces of Microsoft, notice how there's no Xbox port? Sega is allying itself with the holy warriors of GLORIOUS NIPPON which is Sony and Nintendo and they plan to combine together to create HOLY ORDER RONIN WARRIORS to strike a blow against their mortal enemy.

At least that's what I'm assuming the storyline is. Otherwise it may just be another one of Otakon's Japanese anime fantasies.

Justinh

mmm so no xbox one version ¬¬
Yeah bummer... I already imported a copy for Xbox One like a year ago, though. I think I want to get in on that limited run Switch stuff even though I don't plan on getting a switch for a while.

So you mean, there's Tetris (no other grid on the screen, just the standard Tetris single player grid) like the original Gameboy Tetris? I bought some other Tetris game that was supposed to have regular Tetris a few years ago and it ended up not being regular Tetris (it has some other things mixed in) so I ended up returning it. If it has basic, standard Tetris, then I'll actually pick this up.
I haven't played it in a while, but I think I remember the "normal Tetris" mode being weird or something in this game. Like, it was only limited lines or something. I can't remember if there was like an unlimited mode, I recall being bummed about something Tetris related though. Maybe someone else remembers...

Top Bottom